Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Lotish posted:

This reminds me of one of DA2's many little problems: You enter a zone and trigger a banter hotspot, and your companions start talking. This can lead to the problem you mentioned, but if a random, nameless npc walks by and triggers their own chatter that one of your companions can respond to, the companion banter is cut off for that. And there's no limit to that NPC interruption; if you bring the same companion into the same zone, banter triggers and that same NPC walks by, they can spout their same exchange with your companion again, cutting off another set of banter. The problem is companion banter doesn't repeat, unlike NPC barks, so if you cut it off, you miss it for that playthrough.

This reminds me of something I noticed in Skyrim: when you kill a dragon in an inhabited area, NPCs in the area will react appropriately and comment on the dragon corpse laying in the town square. Or at least they're supposed to. In practice, a few NPCs miss the memo, leading to commentary like this:

:aaa: "By the gods, that's a dragon!"
:aaa: "Mercy! I had hoped the talk of dragons was only drunken stories!"
:aaa: "You...you killed this thing?!?"
:downs: "I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ChaosArgate posted:

Why would you ever be apologetic for knocking out EVA for that section? Knocking her out prevents or greatly slows her stamina drain so you don't have to constantly feed her.

This is legitimately the easiest way to do a no-alerts run through that area. Rather than micromanage her stamina and position, you just knock her out and haul her to the exit. Even dragging speeds are faster than the enemy since they tend to be methodical.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SirPhoebos posted:

This reminds me of something I noticed in Skyrim: when you kill a dragon in an inhabited area, NPCs in the area will react appropriately and comment on the dragon corpse laying in the town square. Or at least they're supposed to. In practice, a few NPCs miss the memo, leading to commentary like this:

:aaa: "By the gods, that's a dragon!"
:aaa: "Mercy! I had hoped the talk of dragons was only drunken stories!"
:aaa: "You...you killed this thing?!?"
:downs: "I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee."

I don't know if it's been patched out, but you ever tried hitting a dragon corpse with that light sphere utility spell? It's ton of fun.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Twitch posted:

I was so pissed that Saints Row 3 & 4 don't have the same depth of character/clothing customization.

I was also disappointed by this too.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Calaveron posted:

I don't know if it's been patched out, but you ever tried hitting a dragon corpse with that light sphere utility spell? It's ton of fun.

Not patched and it also works with reanimation spells. :v:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Dark Souls II has some pretty in depth character creation.

And in video form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm6He4jFyP0

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Elysiume posted:

Dark Souls II has some pretty in depth character creation.

And in video form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm6He4jFyP0

This reminds me of one of the few things that drags down DS&DS2 for me. I love the ridiculously ugly and freaky characters that can be created, but the grey/blue/gold/red glowing aura's make it so that other players can't really appreciate my horrifying abomination of a PC. I'd really like future Souls games or Bloodborne to tone down the glow so other people can get an eyefull of the monstrosity that I've brought into their world.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I really don't like how you have to lose the cops before going into a Pay n spray in GTA IV. I don't like it at all

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Accidentally bumping into a cop car in GTA5 spirals into a 4 star wanted level chase that takes 20 minutes before I can finally lose the police and now I'm on the other side of the city from the one mission I have to do.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Wandle Cax posted:

I really don't like how you have to lose the cops before going into a Pay n spray in GTA IV. I don't like it at all

suuma posted:

Accidentally bumping into a cop car in GTA5 spirals into a 4 star wanted level chase that takes 20 minutes before I can finally lose the police and now I'm on the other side of the city from the one mission I have to do.
A lot of people didn't like the cops in GTA4, I thought they were just fine though. If you lose line of sight with the cops and switch cars, for instance, they won't detect you in the clean car even if you drive straight past them. Everybody always says "YOU JUST HAVE TO DRIVE REALLY FAST OUT OF THEIR SEARCH AREA" which is untrue. If you lose them for a minute, switch cars, then you can drive out of the search area no problem. Assuming you dont start committing more crimes.

In GTA5 they make it even easier. Just pull off into an alley once your out of line of sight. Hop out of the car and stay ducked behind a bush or something and wait 60 seconds.

Honestly I love the cops in the GTA games, they're fun to play with and outsmart. I think people might miss some of the subtler points of they way they work and instead just try to haul rear end down the freeway to get away.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Asking people to basically stop playing the open world driving game and hide in some bushes for a full minute is a really dumb decision when most people would rather have a short chase to lose a star.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah the time is really excessive in GTA.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Professor Wayne posted:

Asking people to basically stop playing the open world driving game and hide in some bushes for a full minute is a really dumb decision when most people would rather have a short chase to lose a star.
Assuming your goal is to get straight into a mission, and not have a 20 minute car chase to the other end of the map, 60 seconds of outsmarting AI really isn't that bad.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Wayne posted:

I loved the way The Saboteur handled evading the police: its (rudimentary) stealth system was easy to understand thanks to the radar showing things like the distance the sound of gunfire travels and where the Nazis last saw/heard you, thanks to the climbing system you could just hunker down on top of a roof until the heat died down, and at lower alert levels there were a ton of hiding spots where you could lose them entirely.

One of the benefits of your game being silly and comic book-y instead of grim and "cinematic".

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I loved the way GTA5 handled evading the police: its (rudimentary) stealth system was easy to understand thanks to the radar showing things like the distance the sound of gunfire travels and where the Cops are looking for you, thanks to the climbing system you could just hunker down on top of a roof until the heat died down, and at lower alert levels there were a ton of hiding spots where you could lose them entirely.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Paper Diamonds posted:

Assuming your goal is to get straight into a mission, and not have a 20 minute car chase to the other end of the map, 60 seconds of outsmarting AI really isn't that bad.

Thing can still be dumb and bad and not be as dumb and bad as other thing.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

kazil posted:

Thing can still be dumb and bad and not be as dumb and bad as other thing.

If you do not enjoy avoiding/outsmarting/outrunning the cops then perhaps "Cops and Robbers: The Game" is not for you.

All this boring turn based poo poo is really dragging down Civ5, ugh.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The Saboteur automatically cleared your wanted level with certain hiding spots. You weren't crouched in a bush twiddling your thumbs. It's not evading the police, it's the tedium involved.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I just finished it, but the back and forth in The Witcher was super annoying, for all the right they did in the sequel, the first one had horrendous back-tracking.
The combat is also utter garbage, I seriously haven't played any combat this uninteresting and dull in a long time, switching weapons or styles doesn't add any depth, it's just pointless busy work. There really is little point to using most potions beyond stuff like Blizzard or Wolverine that have the most obvious and strongest benefits in combat, stuff like Cat comes in handy once in awhile, but just for purely arbitrary reasons (like not being blind in a cave).
I don't know if it's the translation or what, but the voice actors also didn't seem to always understand the lines they were reading, so things that were meant to be funny weren't, simply because the voice actor didn't have any idea what the line was supposed to be.

Also, the choices you make aren't really that interesting, and the consequences aren't too major either.
Actually, pretty much everything about the original The Witcher is a major drag, I wouldn't even classify it as a good game.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Paper Diamonds posted:

In GTA5 they make it even easier. Just pull off into an alley once your out of line of sight. Hop out of the car and stay ducked behind a bush or something and wait 60 seconds.
Honestly I love the cops in the GTA games, they're fun to play with and outsmart. I think people might miss some of the subtler points of they way they work and instead just try to haul rear end down the freeway to get away.
Apart from the fact that they always have a general idea of where you are so even if you lose them then duck through five different streets the game will spawn a patrol will still spawn and stop near you and search the area. Or if you get a 3+ Star, have fun evading the constantly respawning choppers (Even if you're on mountains and constantly sniping out their rotors, the game will summon them right in front of your eyes) if you don't have something to hide under. And of course that chopper is going to bee-line for you even if it hasn't spotted you.

They're psychic thought-crime cops that home in on your location even if they haven't seen you turn down several streets/blocks after you've lost them. You're rarely doing anything clever to escape them.
Most chases for me end up hiding behind a car parked into a corner, car riddled with bullet-holes that they shot up twenty seconds ago as I hide behind the thing blocking their LoS.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Croccers posted:

Apart from the fact that they always have a general idea of where you are so even if you lose them then duck through five different streets the game will spawn a patrol will still spawn and stop near you and search the area. Or if you get a 3+ Star, have fun evading the constantly respawning choppers (Even if you're on mountains and constantly sniping out their rotors, the game will summon them right in front of your eyes) if you don't have something to hide under. And of course that chopper is going to bee-line for you even if it hasn't spotted you.

They're psychic thought-crime cops that home in on your location even if they haven't seen you turn down several streets/blocks after you've lost them. You're rarely doing anything clever to escape them.
Most chases for me end up hiding behind a car parked into a corner, car riddled with bullet-holes that they shot up twenty seconds ago as I hide behind the thing blocking their LoS.

Let's not forget the side-mission where you have to pick up a truck full of drugs, which turns out was being watched by the police. Instant 3-stars which you have to lose before you can drop off the truck, you can't leave the vehicle or you'll fail the mission after a short time, and the only immediately accessible area where you can conceivably hide the truck is down by the river, which (at least when I played) they'll always, ALWAYS send 3 cars down to check from both directions shortly before the timer runs out. gently caress that game. I accidentally fired a pistol in the middle of buttfuck nowhere by the ocean, where (at least it looked like) no one was around and I got an instant 2-star rating and cops swarming from nowhere. Run into the water and swim out to sea to avoid them? Choppers with snipers and an instant 3-star rating!

There's a reason why GTAV was traded in for Mario Kart 8. gently caress the police and the overly sensitive star system.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Paper Diamonds posted:

If you do not enjoy avoiding/outsmarting/outrunning the cops then perhaps "Cops and Robbers: The Game" is not for you.

All this boring turn based poo poo is really dragging down Civ5, ugh.

Standing still for 60 seconds in an action game sure is the fun part!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Randalor posted:

Let's not forget the side-mission where you have to pick up a truck full of drugs, which turns out was being watched by the police. Instant 3-stars which you have to lose before you can drop off the truck, you can't leave the vehicle or you'll fail the mission after a short time, and the only immediately accessible area where you can conceivably hide the truck is down by the river, which (at least when I played) they'll always, ALWAYS send 3 cars down to check from both directions shortly before the timer runs out. gently caress that game. I accidentally fired a pistol in the middle of buttfuck nowhere by the ocean, where (at least it looked like) no one was around and I got an instant 2-star rating and cops swarming from nowhere. Run into the water and swim out to sea to avoid them? Choppers with snipers and an instant 3-star rating!

There's a reason why GTAV was traded in for Mario Kart 8. gently caress the police and the overly sensitive star system.

What up, river truck buddy. Finally evaded the police on my first try with that mission only to realize that I was on the other end of the city with twenty seconds left.

Of course the game doesn't reset the timer when you lose heat from the cops.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

GTAV is kinda a game where it seems really cool at first glance, there's so much do to, so much to see, the world is huge and everything is detailed and there's tons of cool things about the world and how dynamic it is, then you realize that the activities are boring, the vast majority of the features heaped onto it are either broken or poorly designed, and that actually getting anywhere to do any of these things takes so incredibly long, and that even the simple act of travelling is dangerous because at any moment you could accidentally set off the cops and make your sojourn even longer.

GTAV has a lot of the problems GTAIV does and that's the fact that exploring the world and doing the poo poo in it is just kind of boring, and none of it feels very cohesive either, they managed to make RDR incredibly fun and the open world really fun to explore (and a large part of it was because of the hideouts and ambient challenges).
It also has a lot to do with the fact that RDR's environment was beautiful and well textured and the game ran a lot better. GTAV runs slow as molasses at best, and has some of the most hideous and muddled textures I've ever seen.
I thought it was funny seeing people upload screenshots of the environments and just seeing the worst LoD and draw distance with blurry looking and repeating textures.

It's not necessarily GTA's fault though, it's generally a huge problem with open world games, from Assassin's Creed to Watch_Dogs, the only ones that really work are the ones that make the environments much smaller, much more arcadey, and make the diversions dedicated and tied into the main gameplay, which is basically what Saint's Row 4 and Sleeping Dogs did. The whole "realistic" open world game in general is huge a hodgepodge of tedium and awful concessions made to immersion while sacrificing approachable gameplay.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

JebanyPedal posted:

The whole "realistic" open world game in general is huge a hodgepodge of tedium and awful concessions made to immersion while sacrificing approachable gameplay.

Which is exactly why GTA:SA is going to be the high watermark of the series. That game has its faults but it's seldom boring as an open world.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
GTA's problem is that it went with a more realistic approach instead of the insanity of the previous ones, free roam games are there best when you can just have fun and tool around, in GTA if you try to fool around it punishes you, will play Rockstar's epic crime drama how they want you to play it and you'll loving like it.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Croccers posted:

Evade better. It is very possible to hide and watch the cops search far away in the wrong location. Break LOS. Switch cars. Take smaller paths. Climb stuff.

Yes, respawning helicopters are kind of bullshit. I do agree with that.

kazil posted:

Standing still for 60 seconds in an action game sure is the fun part!
It's called "hiding." There ARE other more actiony options, but you guys were just bitching about those too.

So once again;

Paper Diamonds posted:

Also Sleeping Dogs is a terrible game and I only could stand about 30 minutes of it before I turned it off for good. GTA 4 and 5 are leaps and bounds better in every way. HtH

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Alteisen posted:

GTA's problem is that it went with a more realistic approach instead of the insanity of the previous ones, free roam games are there best when you can just have fun and tool around, in GTA if you try to fool around it punishes you, will play Rockstar's epic crime drama how they want you to play it and you'll loving like it.

I wonder who up high on the team at Rockstar North just wants to make bad Scorsese knock-offs, because it's really loving obvious that that's all the heads behind the game are really interested in delivering on.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Paper Diamonds posted:

Also Sleeping Dogs is a terrible game and I only could stand about 30 minutes of it before I turned it off for good. GTA 4 and 5 are leaps and bounds better in every way. HtH

There needs to be a thread for gamers owning themselves with their terrible opinions.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Heavy Lobster posted:

There needs to be a thread for gamers owning themselves with their terrible opinions.
You guys are doing just fine right here? :confused:

Real talk: Bulletstorm was pretty good BUT, it was just a bit too long. The end part where you go to the ship, then leave the ship, only to return to the ship was just a slog for me. Just cut those like 30-45 minutes and it would have been perfect.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Which is exactly why GTA:SA is going to be the high watermark of the series. That game has its faults but it's seldom boring as an open world.

GTA:SA had Free Bird going for it. I started loving laughing out loud the first time I heard it coming when someone was playing Guitar hero. I never knew the name of the song before but boy did I recognize it immediately. The song is great but man is it long. There were a lot of hours cruising trough GTA:SA where I had been listening to that song.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Paper Diamonds posted:

Evade better. It is very possible to hide and watch the cops search far away in the wrong location. Break LOS. Switch cars. Take smaller paths. Climb stuff.

Yes, respawning helicopters are kind of bullshit. I do agree with that.

It's called "hiding." There ARE other more actiony options, but you guys were just bitching about those too.

So once again;

Ah yes the old "git gud scrub" argument, always a classic!

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

Ah yes the old "git gud scrub" argument, always a classic!

Try sucking less

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Paper Diamonds posted:

Try sucking less

:master:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
GTA V's radio stations are not very good. GTA IV had way better selection and I miss the Russian station.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Yeah, pretty much. GTA V wants to be as realistic as possible, but also wants insane action movie shootouts and car stunts. The player gets caught in the middle of that tension, and this drags the game down.

But for real that James Bond mission is worth a playthrough.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Celery Face posted:

GTA V's radio stations are not very good. GTA IV had way better selection and I miss the Russian station.

I only listen to non-stop pop.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Paper Diamonds posted:

This statement tells me everything I need to know about you. (You have really bad taste)

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I've only watched my roommate play GTAV but wasn't it billed as a heist game? And the main story had 4 total (one of which you don't even get money from), and it STILL hasn't been patched into multiplayer like Rockstar promised at launch?

Basically if I'm going to be forced to watch him play a boring multiplayer mode it might as well be a heist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

kazil posted:

This statement tells me everything I need to know about you. (You have really bad taste)
Likewise