Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Dr Tran posted:

Friday in the indigo ballroom so far:

2:30 Mike Tyson
4PM Bob's Burgers
5PM Archer

I thought Adult Swim was usually there on Friday? Is their time/day announced yet?

Does the Comic-con site have the definitive list of exclusives, or should I be checking somewhere else?

bobula fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

bobula posted:

I thought Adult Swim was usually there on Friday? Is their time/day announced yet?

Does the Comic-con site have the definitive list of exclusives, or should I be checking somewhere else?

Adult Swim looks to still probably have a chance of being there, although Children's Hospital has been moved to the convention center proper.

The CCI site is definitely not the definitive list of exclusives. this is apparent by the lack of both Hasbro and Mattel on the site.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Image Expo on Wednesday

https://imagecomics.com/content/view/image-expo-comes-to-san-diego

Tickets are limited, so keep an eye on their twitter or facebook

edit:
More news today

Godzilla statue on the Hall H lawn
No Star Wars Episode 7 (probably a lie, I'm sure JJ Abrams will do a message from shooting location)
No Batman v Superman (probably true)

Walking Dead, Hall H Friday 12:20PM

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 9, 2014

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Added a ton of offsite events to the 3rd post.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I assume we'll start seeing full days of programming announced beginning tomorrow.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
And this year's Power Rangers exclusive, just cause every year needs one of these to cause a cluster gently caress.

http://aggressivecomix.com/2014/07/sdcc-2014-exclusive-bandais-green-ranger-set/

I'll admit, that takes me back. But poo poo if I'll give up two days just to try to get one. Why they even try to make it such a low production number is beyond me.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Jack Skeleton posted:

And this year's Power Rangers exclusive, just cause every year needs one of these to cause a cluster gently caress.

http://aggressivecomix.com/2014/07/sdcc-2014-exclusive-bandais-green-ranger-set/

I'll admit, that takes me back. But poo poo if I'll give up two days just to try to get one. Why they even try to make it such a low production number is beyond me.

Last year I got in line at 4am on Saturday trying to get the buckle. I got in line before they capped it, but they sold out before I made it to the booth.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Jack Skeleton posted:

I don't really understand the appeal of a super-difficult-to-get Dagger that doesn't look like the one in the show, when they JUST released one that looked perfect in stores a month ago. Kind of relieved I don't feel the need to wait for this though!

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Dr Tran posted:

Last year I got in line at 4am on Saturday trying to get the buckle. I got in line before they capped it, but they sold out before I made it to the booth.

you guys are nuts

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jack Skeleton posted:

Fuuuck, good luck with getting that whoever dare braves you. You poor souls.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Preview Night sched
http://www.comic-con.org/cci/preview-night

Thursday sched
http://www.comic-con.org/cci/thursday

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I've seen shooting dates here for Batman v Superman Comic-con weekend, so I doubt they'll do a panel/presence for it.

edit: Although it -could- be second unit stuff, so there's no confirmation.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I just don't get the mentality of con exclusives, or why they still try to keep it at such a high rarity. I just saw this for Wonder Woman tonner figures.
http://aggressivecomix.com/2014/07/sdcc-2014-exclusive-wonder-woman-and-sheldon-cooper-tonner-dolls/

Limit of 100. I mean, 100? What the gently caress? Especially when attendance last year was 130,000+. Is your booth's employee's time so wasted that you give them the job of having to repeat over and over again that something sold out quickly?

I stopped seeking exclusives years ago when it ate up my time and sanity in lines. Especially when it's pretty clear that the perceived value is more for yourself and you'll more than likely not be able to move an item for a profit on 95% of the exclusives.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Adult Swim panels

Children’s Hospital – Room 25ABC, Thursday 6PM-7PM
The Venture Bros – Indigo Ballroom, Friday 12:15PM-1PM
The Triumph/McBrayer Panel – Indigo Ballroom, Friday 1PM-1:45PM
Rick and Morty – Indigo Ballroom, Friday 1:45PM-2:30PM
Mike Tyson Mysteries – Indigo Ballroom, Friday 2:30PM-3:15PM
Robot Chicken – Indigo Ballroom, Friday 3:15PM-4PM

Booth #3721
Mike Tyson Friday at 5PM

Interactive Zone at Petco Park
Saturday:
8PM Black Jesus
9PM Superjail!, King Star King, Mr Pickles

Funhouse
3PM - ?
Ticket distribution starts at 12PM Th-Sat

Tim and Eric's Pajama Party
Friday
11PM-12
RSVP and pajamas required

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Jack Skeleton posted:

I just don't get the mentality of con exclusives, or why they still try to keep it at such a high rarity. I just saw this for Wonder Woman tonner figures.
http://aggressivecomix.com/2014/07/sdcc-2014-exclusive-wonder-woman-and-sheldon-cooper-tonner-dolls/

Limit of 100. I mean, 100? What the gently caress? Especially when attendance last year was 130,000+. Is your booth's employee's time so wasted that you give them the job of having to repeat over and over again that something sold out quickly?

I stopped seeking exclusives years ago when it ate up my time and sanity in lines. Especially when it's pretty clear that the perceived value is more for yourself and you'll more than likely not be able to move an item for a profit on 95% of the exclusives.

Tonner is like Hot Toys Barbie. They're ultra specialized but cost a loving fortune ($200ish per) because they have such a labor intensive process. 100 is actually a decent allocation for them iirc.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Dr Tran posted:

Adult Swim panels

Children’s Hospital – Room 25ABC, Thursday 6PM-7PM
The Venture Bros – Indigo Ballroom, Friday 12:15PM-1PM
The Triumph/McBrayer Panel – Indigo Ballroom, Friday 1PM-1:45PM
Rick and Morty – Indigo Ballroom, Friday 1:45PM-2:30PM
Mike Tyson Mysteries – Indigo Ballroom, Friday 2:30PM-3:15PM
Robot Chicken – Indigo Ballroom, Friday 3:15PM-4PM

I'm glad the AS stuff is starting a little later than normal this year, assuming the panels before are Regular Show and Adventure Time, I can probably show up right at noon and walk in when they end. It's astounding how much the rooms clear out for the transition between CN and AS. Also goddamn that's a fantastic lineup of weirdos, this is gonna be great.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Dr Tran posted:

Tim and Eric's Pajama Party
Friday
11PM-12
RSVP and pajamas required

!? Do you RSVP at their booth?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

bobula posted:

!? Do you RSVP at their booth?
http://video.adultswim.com/presents/san-diego-comic-con-2014/#jammy

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Haha, they're holding a weird passcode contest to get free Comic-con passes now. https://www.facebook.com/comiccon/photos/a.327485762374.151178.255364922374/10152579885592375/?type=1&theater

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Darko posted:

Haha, they're holding a weird passcode contest to get free Comic-con passes now. https://www.facebook.com/comiccon/photos/a.327485762374.151178.255364922374/10152579885592375/?type=1&theater

They've had a couple of these and did it a number of times in past years. My problem with them doing this now is if you have tickets, that's great.....what about the rest of the poo poo that everyone else got a jump on with (hotel, parking specifically).

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Beer Garden (and some games)
https://www.h1z1.com/news/soe-block-party-2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Aaand the only two things I care to see are happening during the same time slots. Awesome, I didn't need to go to comic con anyway

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Just an FYI, this is up north of Miramar. So after you're done getting drunk you can pretend to be Maverick. Also, it's way the gently caress up there in north county. Be prepared for a bit of a drive.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

RevKrule posted:

Just an FYI, this is up north of Miramar. So after you're done getting drunk you can pretend to be Maverick. Also, it's way the gently caress up there in north county. Be prepared for a bit of a drive.

There will be shuttles to get you there and back.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dr Tran posted:

There will be shuttles to get you there and back.

Sure, but what I'm saying is if you're expecting this to be just on the other side of downtown or even up in hotel circle, think again. If you're gonna do this, this will take a serious chunk of your day. However, if you don't have tickets but are in town, it's a free trip up to SOE and beer so that's a plus.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

RevKrule posted:

It's not in North County. It's only about 15 miles away from the convention center, and almost all freeway driving. As far as traffic goes, it should be smooth around the time it starts but any time after 2:30pm, traffic begins to ramp up all throughout the county and doesn't begin to die down (slowly) until around 7pm, so returning to downtown from Miramar could potentially take a long time.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

RevKrule posted:

They've had a couple of these and did it a number of times in past years. My problem with them doing this now is if you have tickets, that's great.....what about the rest of the poo poo that everyone else got a jump on with (hotel, parking specifically).

Hotels are actually always available ~one month or so before the con downtown (which is why I never really worry about the hotel lottery).

For instance, the Westin Gaslamp is available at this moment, although it fluctuates daily and might be closed by the time you check it out.

https://www.tphousing.com/r2/HotelAvail.aspx?FromPage=hoteltier.aspx&EICode=2896&AttCode=72&WebSessionsResID=22894256

Something else a mile or so away will be open for a day in the next few days and disappear, and so on. That's why you should never really settle for out of downtown hotels unless you want to stay somewhere else or just want to save the money.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Friday is up
http://www.comic-con.org/cci/friday

Waiting for Adventure Time while dealing with Uncle Grandpa is gunna suuuuuuuuck

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dr Tran posted:

Friday is up

Waiting for Adventure Time while dealing with Uncle Grandpa is gunna suuuuuuuuck

Considering it's Uncle Grandpa AND Clerence, it could be real interesting.

http://www.avclub.com/article/cartoon-network-fires-clarence-creator-over-allega-206585?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=feeds

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Dr Tran posted:

Friday is up

At what time do people start lining up for the Adventure Time panel?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Wazzit posted:

At what time do people start lining up for the Adventure Time panel?

I wanted to sit up front, so I got in line at 5:30-ish and was the line was 100 deep.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Tonner is like Hot Toys Barbie. They're ultra specialized but cost a loving fortune ($200ish per) because they have such a labor intensive process. 100 is actually a decent allocation for them iirc.

I guess it wasn't a rant directed at Tonner specifically, I just don't get how many companies do such a small run on exclusives. Where you're not even hitting 0.0001% of the con goers. I get some stuff is more niche than others, but I constantly see booths like Kid Robot do a very small run on something that is main stream and then have every hour past the first 10 minutes every day having to deal with telling people that their exclusives sold out even before the public was let in the doors.

At that point it's just a simple matter of either stop bothering or up your production run on exclusives as the crowds get bigger and bigger each year.

I get the need to keep things limited to create a fever for it, but it seems a lot of exclusives are horribly under produced to the point of why bother even listing it on the program/list of exclusives.

Jack Skeleton fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 11, 2014

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Jack Skeleton posted:

I guess it wasn't a rant directed at Tonner specifically, I just don't get how many companies do such a small run on exclusives. Where you're not even hitting 0.0001% of the con goers. I get some stuff is more niche than others, but I constantly see booths like Kid Robot do a very small run on something that is main stream and then have every hour past the first 10 minutes every day having to deal with telling people that their exclusives sold out even before the public was let in the doors.

At that point it's just a simple matter of either stop bothering or up your production run on that item as the crowds get bigger and bigger each year.

I agree with this sentiment a lot actually. I understand not making 130,000 of an exclusive but if year over year, you're constantly selling out day one (or if you have special daily allotments, within the first 10 minutes of the day), you need to up your game. I'm sure some places do that and I understand sometimes you're taken by surprise at something that gets hot fast (I think whoever made the Archer dolphin last year is in this boat). However, when every year, you're sold out, loving fix it. People want your product, they'll buy your product.

What's worse, is when the company sells out ultra fast like that, their product ends up down in the bowels of con, Chinatown. And worse, these sellers are charging minimum double for it. You know who sees none of that money? The toy seller. Up your production game dammit!

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Dr Tran posted:

I wanted to sit up front, so I got in line at 5:30-ish and was the line was 100 deep.

Dang. Going to shoot for around 4:30ish then. Thanks!

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Too much I want to do on Friday. I won't even bother trying for Adventure Time, but I can definitely do the Adult Swim block. Finally something I really want to see in Hall H, but I have no idea how popular Arrow will be and I've never bothered with Hall H so I doubt I'll get to see that.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Luckily, Arrow is in Ballroom 20 so you won't have to worry about Hall H! :v: (you will still have to worry)

Neil Gaiman doc and the Metallica presentation seem like fun small-room panels. Really don't want to deal with H or B20 but some of these announcements make it tough. Daniel Radcliff is going to have an insane audience.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
What time is AT? Honestly if you are willing to forego a front row seat you should be ale to get in Indigo if you give it a few hours. It's not as bad as Hall H since AS tends to be their biggest headliner

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Axel Serenity posted:

Luckily, Arrow is in Ballroom 20 so you won't have to worry about Hall H! :v: (you will still have to worry)

Neil Gaiman doc and the Metallica presentation seem like fun small-room panels. Really don't want to deal with H or B20 but some of these announcements make it tough. Daniel Radcliff is going to have an insane audience.

Wait what

Huh. You're right, I guess I just misread. I might have to give that a serious try then! But is Arrow worth missing Bob's Burgers? Ducking out of Indigo Ballroom right after Rick and Morty would probably be necessary. Hmmmmmm

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

RevKrule posted:

What's worse, is when the company sells out ultra fast like that, their product ends up down in the bowels of con, Chinatown. And worse, these sellers are charging minimum double for it. You know who sees none of that money? The toy seller. Up your production game dammit!

This is really where the majority of those hasbro and mattel toys end up. I know a couple of dealers who do shows at various other show rooms/conventions, and they pretty much hit you up like a crack addict trying to score a fix in seeing if you can be a mule for them on the other exclusives if you so happen to be going to buy one item that day.

Then they mark it up at least triple the amount and just sell it to those who got assed out trying to go through the actual booth the exclusive is from. It's like a parasitic circle of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Saturday
http://www.comic-con.org/cci/saturday

• Locked thread