Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Krotera posted:

So it's literally "you have to ignore how human relationships work and recast everything in terms of hosed-up gender roles to appreciate this genre," and that's why they're calling it art?

More like "You must view women as arrogant cunts who all need to be raped/beat down/shown their place in order to 'get' this fetish"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
Why do things like Ryona exist? What is wrong with humanity?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
When they say two years worth of semen, do they mean something like a cumvase or just a guy who had no sex in two years?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

When they say two years worth of semen, do they mean something like a cumvase or just a guy who had no sex in two years?

Do you really want to know?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Hammurabi posted:

Why do things like Ryona exist?

Well there's a helpful wall of text on the last page answering just that question! :v:

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Hammurabi posted:

Why do things like Ryona exist? What is wrong with humanity?

1) I don't know. 2) There are parts of it that have lost/never known what it's like to be humane.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

For my sanity, I'm sincerely hoping the latter, if only because the alternative-- :barf:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I may have that SAO image as my desktop background.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Well it's flowing endlessly, so I guess it'd have to be from a cumvase, right?

As much as I hate to say it, it's killing me not knowing the context on that image.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Junpei Hyde posted:

Do you really want to know?

What does my username tell you

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
There are so many things wrong with the ryona manifesto. I've seriously been sitting here for twenty minutes, completely stumped on where to begin to refute that. The dude's so desperate to deny any criticism of his fetish that he stumbles over every hurdle along the way. Holy poo poo, he's wrong about literally everything.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Scratch-O posted:

There are so many things wrong with the ryona manifesto. I've seriously been sitting here for twenty minutes, completely stumped on where to begin to refute that. The dude's so desperate to deny any criticism of his fetish that he stumbles over every hurdle along the way. Holy poo poo, he's wrong about literally everything.

TV Tropers have the desire to justify their fetishs like they do with insisting their cartoons are meant for adults. Like, it's a bit of a weird fetish, but just...have it. Don't say it's a "rather complex and nuanced mental exercise".

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Englishman alone posted:

Title Drop: The very first line: "Yes, this is Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, California." Interestingly, there is no actual title card, and the first shot simply shows a street marker, so it's still debatable whether the title proper should be Sunset Boulevard or Sunset Blvd.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I did some unpleasant research and the whole chapter can be found here:

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/8539671/1/Sword-Art-Online-Extra-Chapter-16-5

What I found online claims that even though this is on fanfiction. net it's legit. I can at least say that the guy who wrote it has clearly never been near a real woman, let alone had sex with one, but let's be honest. We all knew that already.

glopping

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Mad Hamish posted:

What I found online claims that even though this is on fanfiction. net it's legit. I can at least say that the guy who wrote it has clearly never been near a real woman, let alone had sex with one, but let's be honest. We all knew that already.

glopping

It's legit. SAO in its entirety was written by an 18(19?) year old who submitted it to a online writing competition and it caught the eye of some publisher who (rightly) thought "stupid idiot manchildren will eat this up!"

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Mad Hamish posted:

glopping

:psyboom:

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

quote:

Remembering back to the distant past, I was only 14 the first time that I ever logged into SAO. The winter of 8th grade. I don't want to really recall how I was at that time, but I sacrificed all of the sexual energy that starts to awaken in all boys around that age in order to immerse myself into games. As a result, I had never been in a situation where I would be alone with a girl in her room. Obviously, I had also never been naked with a girl before.

quote:

"Yes... Make me...full...with your thing Kirito..."

quote:

Her bouncing breasts also sent large amounts of sweat flying about.

The "two years worth of semen" bit is like a bad punchline to a really drawn-out joke.

Ultimately, it's just your typical pathetic wank fic.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
So what the hell is happening? Does she suddenly pop out of the computer screen to gently caress him, or something? :psyduck:

edit: 322 favorites. I guess fanfic fans will read anything.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 10, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

So what the hell is happening? Does she suddenly pop out of the computer screen to gently caress him, or something? :psyduck:

They're trapped in a full-immersion VR game. Sexytimes ensue.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So Sword Arts Online is lovely fanfic that got popular by appealing to the collective id of a certain subset of society.

Well now I know what nerd 50 Shades of Grey looks like.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So Sword Arts Online is lovely fanfic that got popular by appealing to the collective id of a certain subset of society.

Well now I know what nerd 50 Shades of Grey looks like.

It's not actually a fanfic, just hosted there, I think?

It's really terribletastic though. Has anyone actually managed to do the trapped in an MMO bit well? I was going to check if there was a trope for that but it appears that there's not. Closest I could find was Trapped In Another World. :shrug:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

watho posted:

It's really terribletastic though. Has anyone actually managed to do the trapped in an MMO bit well? I was going to check if there was a trope for that but it appears that there's not. Closest I could find was Trapped In Another World. :shrug:

Log Horizon is quite well-received and really digs into the social implications, so long as you don't mind infodumps, a slight lack of real conflict, and a lack of visual pop (plus the usual background radiation of Anime, though not to anywhere near SAO's extreme).

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Log Horizon is quite well-received and really digs into the social implications, so long as you don't mind infodumps, a slight lack of real conflict, and a lack of visual pop (plus the usual background radiation of Anime, though not to anywhere near SAO's extreme).

I heard that it was really boring and very un-good as well. Never checked it out for myself because of that.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

watho posted:

the original work (chapter 16.5) was part of the LN itself but the editors told the author to take it out since it was too explicit. He later hosted it on his own website, and folks transcribed it to FF.net.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

watho posted:

.hack is pretty good. Though the protagonists in that franchise usually aren't trapped, except in .hack//Sign (which is pretty good IIRC). So I guess .hack//Sign is a good answer.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

HapiMerchant posted:

It's legit. SAO in its entirety was written by an 18(19?) year old who submitted it to a online writing competition and it caught the eye of some publisher who (rightly) thought "stupid idiot manchildren will eat this up!"

Ah, so it was written by a Japanese version of Christopher Paolini. Explains a lot.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

watho posted:

Has anyone actually managed to do the trapped in an MMO bit well?

Kim Possible had an episode like this, and iirc it was about as good as the rest of the show.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Morkyz posted:

Kim Possible had an episode like this, and iirc it was about as good as the rest of the show.

No no you see Kim Possible is actually really great and TOTALLY for guys because if you pause at this frame right here you can see that she is in fact wearing panties. They totally put that in there for us OLDER fans to jack off too appreciate.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Hammurabi posted:

.hack is pretty good. Though the protagonists in that franchise usually aren't trapped, except in .hack//Sign (which is pretty good IIRC). So I guess .hack//Sign is a good answer.

Follow up question, where the hell do I begin with .hack? I'm legitimately intrigued but I was lost as hell when I tried to watch one of the series.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I tried watching .hack sign in middle school when a friend recommended it and it was really boring and nothing ever happened in it.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

No no you see Kim Possible is actually really great and TOTALLY for guys because if you pause at this frame right here you can see that she is in fact wearing panties. They totally put that in there for us OLDER fans to jack off too appreciate.

Huh

YMMV posted:

Accidental Innuendo: Kim asking Ron if he wants the ultimate ride is just one of the tamer instances of this.

Memetic Sex Goddess: Kim is a very popular target for Rule 34. Of course, this is the girl who "can do anything".
Back when the fandom was active, 90% of the captions for the various forum caption contests and threads were basically about Kim's insatiable sexual desire, usually shown with a picture of Kim standing next to a pile of knocked out goons or Ron or Drakken then the caption of her wanting more. No-one can keep up. Except for Shego.
Dr.Ann Possible. Full stop.

Periphery Demographic: For a show aimed at tweens, the show is remarkably popular among their parents and other adults, especially taking in the LGBT Fanbase aspect. It was also quite a target for Rule 34.

Rule 34: Shego/Kim is ... quite popular, not just for Hentai. Though they get that too.
There are several other interesting pairings that have been written up. For example, Kim and Joss, who is KIM'S COUSIN.

Testosterone Brigade: Have you seen some of the fan art on deviantART? For a Disney girls' show, Kim Possible has an awful lot of post-pubescent male fans.

WMG posted:

Kim and Ron were "Friends with Benefits" throughout the entire show.

Kim and Ron were having casual sex frequently throughout all four seasons. They had a very mature sexual relationship without emotional clinginess which eventually blossomed in to a full romance at the end of Season 3. It being a Disney show, the sexual aspects aren't alluded to or referenced (in the same way that Mr. and Mrs. Possible's happy marriage is never shown being sexual either). But there a numerous clues to it throughout the run of the series.
  • Throughout the show, Kim and Ron are often extremely physical with each other as a consequence of their action-packed lifestyle. Grabbing, holding each other, etc. are all par for the course, but they don't seem to have any hesitation or reluctance to do it despite being ostensibly a boy and girl who are "just friends".
  • In "Mind Games" Kim and Ron swap bodies and spend at least 36 hours, probably closer to 48 hours that way. But neither is particularly uncomfortable with the situation other than wanting to return to normal. Neither has any shock or surprise with being in the other's body. And this is over a period of time long enough to require going to the bathroom, showering, etc. This is because they are already extremely familiar with each others' bodies.
  • In the original version of "Sick Day" she changes clothes in front of Ron. Disney later added a screen between them, but if you pause the video and look at the screen Kim is behind, it is very digitized and blocky, while all the other lines in the image are smooth. It was added to the image after the episode was made.
  • In "Bad Boy" we see that Ron knows how to sneak in to Kim's bedroom at night.
  • In "So the Drama" when they scuba up to the Villain party on the secret island, they both change in to formal wear on the beach. While Ron has his (awful) tux on under his scuba suit, Kim has to strip down and put on a dress. She does this in front of Ron without any hesitation or concern. He does look away in a gentlemanly fashion, but Kim's attitude reveals she wasn't worried about what Ron might see at all.
  • In Season 4 when they're dating, their interactions don't change much at all. They don't get touchy-feely, they don't cuddle, they pretty much carry on like they had before. This is because nothing changed in their physical relationship. the only thing that changed was their emotional connection; and those changes are focused on and demonstrated in the show.
There is also the fact that these are a couple of teenagers dealing with high-stress situations on a daily basis, who would need an outlet to vent out some of that stress. The easiest, most convenient and possibly most fulfilling way to do so is clear.

Kim's parents are first cousins.

After Drew failed to get proper dates to his fellow geeks for the college mixer, James related his problems to his family. His aunt or uncle then quickly set up their daughter Anne as an "emergency date" for their nephew. The two hit it off. Twenty or so years later, they're married with three kids.

Of course, for this scenario to work, Middleton has to be in a state where cousin marriage is legal.

This is why Disney never shows Kim's mom's side of the family: to do so would be to reveal that Nana (or James' dad) is the sibling of one of Anne's parents. (And whether or not you think cousin romance is squicky, if Anne is James' cousin, then can you blame him?
  • That would explain why Kim's paternal ancestor Mim looks like her! Perhaps while Mim was hiding out due to being wrongly accused (if it happened at all), she falls for a man who believes her innocents; she changes her name; they have children, one of whom is Anne's mother or grandmother! Either that or the Possible men are attracted to women that resembles their mothers. It was a dream but the events inside truly happened.

Kim is pansexual.

She can do anything. Enough said.

You gotta wonder what else she's been asked do to... a teenage girl with that as a website slogan? What would you expect?
  • Wade filters out these requests, but it's got to erode his innocence early.
  • He spends his entire life on the internet. What innocence?!
This could explain why everyone's so keen to return her favours. "After what you did for me, Kim Possible..."
  • Well we all know what's really going on with her and Shego's "Rivalry". It's barely even subtext at this point.
  • She even said she's into boys "Sometimes."
  • Though this seemed more like "Other times I think they're just a pain," rather than "The rest of the time I'm into girls."
  • SHHHHHHHH.

Ron and Kim "played doctor" together long before they started dating

There wasn't any awkwardness when they switched bodies (and it was in their Freshman Year). If they were just best friends, both Kim and Ron would be horrified at the thought of their friend seeing them naked and feeling that their body is feeling. They are teenagers after all. But the only time Kim is apparently disgusted is at Ron's comments about her bare midriff and her "flippy" hair. And they spent at least a full day and night before switched.

Kim, in Ron's body, woke up with an erection. She ran to the bathroom to try to "calm" herself down.

Shego raped Kim at some point in the third season

Other than being plausible given their Foe Yay, it would the least plot-hole-y explanation for why Kim was willing to kill her without remorse during "So The Drama". Kim kicked Shego off a building and through a sparking electrical tower and viciously spat that she hated her. There's no way Kim didn't know this could kill her, and Kim has never been nearly that It's Personal about any enemies, even Shego, at any other point in the series, and it was Drakken who came up with the plan. Being so ruthless would be Character Derailment, and being so personal would be inexplicable, unless Shego did something unspeakable and personal to her offscreen. Shego could have conceivably, say, threatened Kim's family in front of her between episodes, but such an incident wouldn't make that much sense for it to never be mentioned by Kim. A rape, on the other hand, would probably never be mentioned by Kim.

The main page posted:

Statler: Well, Kim always does the impossible...
Waldorf: Ron always seems unstoppable...
Statler: So what are we?
Waldorf: Those Two Guys who bear the unbearable!
Both: Doh-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho!

Not pictured: individual Recap pages for like 2/3 of the episodes; a getting crap past the radar page

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I tried watching .hack sign in middle school when a friend recommended it and it was really boring and nothing ever happened in it.

Huh

Not pictured: individual Recap pages for like 2/3 of the episodes; a getting crap past the radar page

so just the standard rape, incest, and pointless shipping?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Requesting name change to Standard Incest

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Requesting name change to Standard Incest

That's unfair to TV Tropes. It doesn't treat any particular type of incest as the "standard" of which all other types of incest are mere variants or deviations. All types of incest are regarded as equals by TV Tropes.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IncestIsRelative posted:

Incest Is Relative

Tropes relating to incest and its various permutations.

Brother-Sister Incest
Father, I Want to Marry My Brother
Little Sister Heroine
Big Brother Attraction
Not Blood Siblings
Twincest

Cast Incest

Creepy Uncle

Flirty Stepsiblings

Incestuous Casting

Incest Subtext

Incest Yay Shipping

Kissing Cousins

Parental Incest
Like Parent, Like Spouse
Wife Husbandry

Royal Inbreeding

Surprise Incest

Villainous Incest

If that's not incestuous enough, then Screw Yourself. When it's Subtext, rather than Canon, see Incest Subtext, for the shipping, see Incest Yay Shipping.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

quote:

Incest Is Relative

Tropes relating to incest and its various permutations.

Brother-Sister Incest
Father, I Want to Marry My Brother
Little Sister Heroine
Big Brother Attraction
Not Blood Siblings
Twincest

Cast Incest

Creepy Uncle

Flirty Stepsiblings

Incestuous Casting

Incest Subtext

Incest Yay Shipping

Kissing Cousins

Parental Incest
Like Parent, Like Spouse
Wife Husbandry

Royal Inbreeding

Surprise Incest

Villainous Incest

If that's not incestuous enough, then Screw Yourself. When it's Subtext, rather than Canon, see Incest Subtext, for the shipping, see Incest Yay Shipping.

Goddamnit.

e: Also, goddamn you Lottery of Babylon for posting that Kim Possible poo poo. I've never even seen the show but reading (and then eventually skimming) through it makes me want to have every troper who contributed locked up for 20 years.

Ninjasaurus fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 11, 2014

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Ninjasaurus posted:

Goddamnit.

e: Also, goddamn you Lottery of Babylon for posting that Kim Possible poo poo. I've never even seen the show but reading (and then eventually skimming) through it makes me want to have every troper who contributed locked up for 20 years.

And put in the sex offender registry for life.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Huh

They had a very mature relationship without any of that emotional clinginess

Truly meaningless sex is the epitome of maturity telos of eros etc etc BEEP BOOP JENNY WHY WOULDNT YOU gently caress MEEEEEEEEEE

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Samurai Quack posted:

Wait it's a story about people playing and getting trapped in an mmo or whatever?

It sounds like a lovely rip-off of dotHack

It's also got video game adaptations just like dothack

lick it or ticket
Apr 12, 2013

When you want to laugh cry as hard as you can, when you want to cry laugh all you can. When you see rain, just think of it as the world laughing with you, and laugh until you can't anymore.

I always had this theory that Sign that it was a series of drama CDs that got so popular they made an anime adaptation, that's why the show was nothing but people talking for hours on end instead of fighting monsters.

Ah well, it was pretty and the soundtrack was very nice.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

WeeabooJudas posted:

I always had this theory that Sign that it was a series of drama CDs that got so popular they made an anime adaptation, that's why the show was nothing but people talking for hours on end instead of fighting monsters.

Ah well, it was pretty and the soundtrack was very nice.

Being mostly dialogue instead of action would be if they were saying interesting things but from what I remember they mostly just idly chatted about their favorite sandwich ingredients and other poo poo nobody could possibly care about. I dunno, I stopped maybe halfway through so for all I know the second half really ties it all together and makes those sandwich ingredients really interesting and important, but I'll never bother to find out.

This isn't nearly as bad as what's usually posted in this thread, but for some reason it really annoys me:

Anime/.hack//SIGN posted:

Abusive Parents: Tsukasa's father shown in flashbacks is shown to be quite a Jerk rear end. Despising Tsukasa for being a girl, slapping Tsukasa after being caught shoplifting, yelling and screaming while raving drunk and yanking a little kitten away that she was caring for. Added all to the fact he talks with the doctor about pulling his comatose daughter off life support. And later tried to physically pull Tsukasa's body off life support himself; and had to be pulled away by doctors and presumably police.

There are many appropriate words for a person like that. "Jerk rear end" isn't one of them. Stop making the English language sad.

Found this on the Jerk rear end page:

Emphasis theirs posted:

Blake's 7: Avon in is a combination of this and Deadpan Snarker.

Someone who constantly makes disparaging snide remarks about everything might be kind of a jerk? :monocle: Why, I never!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
There's a great word that I realized today applies perfectly to TV Tropes.

The word is cathexis. It means to invest meaning and importance in something, whether it's a hobby, a career, a religion, or a person.

TV Tropes is what happens when you cathect the wrong things, and cathect them way too much.

• Locked thread