Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Bass Bottles posted:

Is the stealth section in WW harder than the one in OoT? I played OoT recently but I haven't played WW in a long time.

Which one? There was two in OoT. One was piss easy and one was obnoxious as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Bass Bottles posted:

Is the stealth section in WW harder than the one in OoT? I played OoT recently but I haven't played WW in a long time.

Both can be easily completed by children so I don't really see the problem

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Starhawk64 posted:

Which one? There was two in OoT. One was piss easy and one was obnoxious as heck.

Well there was one near the beginning where you have to hide from guards to get into the castle which wasn't too bad, and then one in the desert which was very frustrating until I realized you could kill the guards with your arrows while out of their aggro range, which made it very easy.

Link killing human(oid?) characters who spoke fluent English was slightly weird, though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Not really, you have to avoid a grand total of two guys, and there's a glitch where if you take off your barrel they can't see you for a couple seconds.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

O__O posted:

It's really, really easy though?

Yeah, it's like the easiest stealth part of any game I've played that has stealth. I didn't realize people had such an issue with it, but I can understand because I liked and played a lot of stealth games over the years.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Honestly I thought the timed rope-swinging challenge in the pirate ship to be the toughest part of Wind Waker. It felt weird that a game that went out of its way to be easy would feature that kind of dexterity challenge. Any kid who could get past that could handle losing more than half a heart to boss attacks.

Bass Bottles posted:

Well there was one near the beginning where you have to hide from guards to get into the castle which wasn't too bad, and then one in the desert which was very frustrating until I realized you could kill the guards with your arrows while out of their aggro range, which made it very easy.

Link killing human(oid?) characters who spoke fluent English was slightly weird, though.

He just stunned them, they get back up if you wait long enough.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 10, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Bass Bottles posted:

That section never made sense to me. If Link was perfectly fine headshotting them with arrows and dueling with the sword-wielding ones that guard the cages, why does he immediately give up if one of the spear wielders spots him? The arrows stunning them doesn't make any sense either, last time I checked, arrows are lethal. Videogame logic, am I right? :v:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 10, 2014

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

treeboy posted:

I'm not much of a console gamer but I love my little WiiU

At least you're being honest about it. :quagmire:

But, yeah - the system is picking up steam now.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Tender Bender posted:

Honestly I thought the timed rope-swinging challenge in the pirate ship to be the toughest part of Wind Waker.

I've never not done that on the first try... people actually find that challenging? Ya'll bad at vidogames

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Didn't the 3DS have the same problem? Nobody wanted it until the killer apps started coming in as well.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Starhawk64 posted:

Didn't the 3DS have the same problem? Nobody wanted it until the killer apps started coming in as well.

We have the Ambassador program for a reason

HeyMrDeadMan
Mar 10, 2007

is a swell guy

ChaosArgate posted:

Maybe you drunkenly bought it for yourself as a surprise present and forgot about it? :shrug: Christmas came early I guess.

Spacebump posted:

This is a bizarre post. I can't imagine finding a game console in my closet I didn't remember buying. Congrats though, it's a fun system.

Apparently drunk-me bought it from a pawn shop and it's missing an AC cable.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Has anyone started calling it their Wii Wii?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah I don't know what it is about the searchlight area but it's incredibly confusing and questionably designed right at the start of the game. Also not fun at all. Every time I pick it up I walk around a bunch of similar looking areas and bad stealth sections and inevitably get annoyed and quit. It's not like I've spent hours failing at it though, just 4 or 5 times where I quickly shut it off. I suppose I'll give it a try soon and get past it so I can enjoy the rest of the game like I've wanted to forever.

Bonus fact: the longest I've played into WW was at a kmart kiosk when I was a kid.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Nolgthorn posted:

I sometimes call it the Wii Uhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiG4xzRtYNQ

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Nolgthorn posted:

No, only U :v:.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

HeyMrDeadMan posted:

Apparently drunk-me bought it from a pawn shop and it's missing an AC cable.

AC adapter is $42 and Gamepad AC adapter is $19 on store.nintendo.com with $5 shipping. So you're looking at $66 to get it up and running if you buy the parts from Nintendo.

Edit: if you spent less than $144 on it, the price will still be better than getting a refurb from Nintendo.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Help Im Alive posted:

Both can be easily completed by children so I don't really see the problem

The problem is that it's tedious and unfun. If I enjoyed stealth gameplay at all I would've bought a stealth game instead of a Zelda game. But I don't, so I'd rather be hitting things with my sword than sitting there not pressing any buttons until this enemy I could kill in two hits turns around

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Suaimhneas posted:

If I enjoyed stealth gameplay at all I would've bought a stealth game instead of a Zelda game.

Literally every 3D Zelda game (and some of the 2D ones!) have had stealth sections, so I guess you just don't like Zelda games. v:shobon:v

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Suaimhneas posted:

The problem is that it's tedious and unfun. If I enjoyed stealth gameplay at all I would've bought a stealth game instead of a Zelda game. But I don't, so I'd rather be hitting things with my sword than sitting there not pressing any buttons until this enemy I could kill in two hits turns around

You also have to think about it in it's timeframe. Metal Gear Solid 2 was an absolute blockbuster, and EVERY game at that time was adding stealth sections. In hindsight, it wasn't a good call, but at the time, it was a relatively new game mechanic that was incredibly popular.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Nolgthorn posted:

Until E3, people just called it the Ennwii.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Literally every 3D Zelda game (and some of the 2D ones!) have had stealth sections, so I guess you just don't like Zelda games. v:shobon:v

Except in OoT's stealth sections, it doesn't matter if you gently caress up, because you're out by a minute at the worst. In Wind Waker if you gently caress up, you start over a really slow and boring not-dungeon where most of the rooms look almost exactly the same. For that matter, Majora's Mask also had a lovely stealth section (the one where you're flying over parts as a Deku scrub, not the one in the pirate fortress you can trivialize with a mask).

Saying that a person "doesn't like Zelda" games because of lovely and unnecessary segments included in an otherwise fun game is pretty disingenuous. It's like if I hated Twilight Princess because of that awful loving carriage segment.

EDIT: I completely forgot about the second stealth segment of OoT, which is also poo poo and can be categorized with having the same problems as the Wind Waker one. But at least it's not at the very beginning of the loving game.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

RadicalR posted:

At least you're being honest about it. :quagmire:

But, yeah - the system is picking up steam now.

I'm a big gamer but mainly glorious PC master race. Every time I buy a console I end up with *maybe* six games and then never purchase any more. I've already blown past that with the WiiU and have plans to buy many others.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Nolgthorn posted:

I call it the Wuu sometimes.

Anyway, I just beat World Star in Super Mario 3D World. Holy poo poo it does not gently caress around.

And it gets harder from here? I need to take a break. My nerves are frazzled...

treeboy posted:

I'm a big gamer but mainly glorious PC master race. Every time I buy a console I end up with *maybe* six games and then never purchase any more. I've already blown past that with the WiiU and have plans to buy many others.

I have a pretty beastly computer, so I feel you there. The only consoles I've bought in the past 10 years or so are Nintendo ones. The Wii U's lineup for the coming year is just amazing. :allears:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

For all the poo poo Nintendo gets about being bad with internet and digital stuff (most of it deserved), the game purchasing process on WiiU is really nice right now. You buy something on the eShop, then just shut the console off. The thing will download and install in standby mode, and then is added to the quick start menu so you can just quickboot into it the next time you start the system.

I mean that's a really small thing, but it's very convenient and I love convenient things. I don't own either other big console, but can someone detail the download/install process on those for a comparison?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Suspicious Cook posted:

Until E3, people just called it the Ennwii.

Oh man, the next thread title has to have "Ennwii" in it some somehow.

Sapoapo
Nov 6, 2011
I picked up a used Pro Controller from Ebay for 28 bucks, I figured that's too cheap to pass up but now I'm paranoid that its gonna have the worst battery life.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

noirstronaut posted:

Anyone who enjoys Sticker Star should literally be killed.

Sticker Star wasn't good but Super Paper Mario is far, far, far and away is the worse of the two.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Bought a Wii U at launch and sold it (made a profit, somehow, jesus). Now my friend wants to sell me his 8GB one he never uses for $100 so I guess I'm back on now that there are games. Is there a recommended portable HD or other thing to increase storage to something reasonable?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Sapoapo posted:

I picked up a used Pro Controller from Ebay for 28 bucks, I figured that's too cheap to pass up but now I'm paranoid that its gonna have the worst battery life.

Maybe that one in particular, can never know with used things. However, from what I understand on here, the battery life is incredible for them. Like 80 hours + of gaming between charges.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
If you don't visit the eShop thread for whatever reason, the latest indie breakout hit "The Letter" has finally been released for the Wii U, and for only $2 it's a steal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u39AmLJRw6Y

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The stealth section in Wind Waker was pretty hard.

When i was 11 :smug:

I was kind of dreading it playing the remake now and it was honestly more tedious than anything since if you're in a barrel you're invisible as long as you sit still. The only hard part is finding where to go to get to the searchlights and then back to the little wall you have to sidle against though.

As an aside of all the things they made faster they DIDN'T make the Sidle animation any faster?! Seems a bit weird to me.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

I have a pretty beastly computer, so I feel you there. The only consoles I've bought in the past 10 years or so are Nintendo ones. The Wii U's lineup for the coming year is just amazing. :allears:

Same here, I feel like with a gaming PC you pretty much have access to all the multiplatform AAA and Indie games, so that just leaves the games that are console exclusive, and honestly, there really isn't anything Microsoft or Sony exclusive that is really worth buying their systems for. Nintendo games are always pretty solid and you can't play them on PC without using a janky emulator. While I consider the Wii a misstep by not being HD, shoving motion controls down gamers' throats, and being a dumping ground for shovelware, the Wii U is an amazing system worth owning.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Mercury Crusader posted:

If you don't visit the eShop thread for whatever reason, the latest indie breakout hit "The Letter" has finally been released for the Wii U, and for only $2 it's a steal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u39AmLJRw6Y

Holy gently caress... Is there a lowtax review of this yet?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Golashes posted:

Bought a Wii U at launch and sold it (made a profit, somehow, jesus). Now my friend wants to sell me his 8GB one he never uses for $100 so I guess I'm back on now that there are games. Is there a recommended portable HD or other thing to increase storage to something reasonable?

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J6EJ30/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

never had a problem out of it and i have a shitload of games on it

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Phantasium posted:

For that matter, Majora's Mask also had a lovely stealth section (the one where you're flying over parts as a Deku scrub, not the one in the pirate fortress you can trivialize with a mask).

I wish the stone mask could be in every game that has a shoehorned-in stealth section.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Starhawk64 posted:

Same here, I feel like with a gaming PC you pretty much have access to all the multiplatform AAA and Indie games, so that just leaves the games that are console exclusive, and honestly, there really isn't anything Microsoft or Sony exclusive that is really worth buying their systems for. Nintendo games are always pretty solid and you can't play them on PC without using a janky emulator. While I consider the Wii a misstep by not being HD, shoving motion controls down gamers' throats, and being a dumping ground for shovelware, the Wii U is an amazing system worth owning.

The motion controls were a hit-and-miss creative decision, but avoiding HD is pretty unforgivable. I tried playing Mario Galaxy the other day, and while the gameplay is amazing and I know it should look good, it's a blurry mess on a decently sized modern television. Unless you turn up sharpness and then it's a jaggy mess.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Looks fine on my television. Your results are going to vary by model and manufacturer.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Phantasium posted:

Except in OoT's stealth sections, it doesn't matter if you gently caress up, because you're out by a minute at the worst. In Wind Waker if you gently caress up, you start over a really slow and boring not-dungeon where most of the rooms look almost exactly the same. For that matter, Majora's Mask also had a lovely stealth section (the one where you're flying over parts as a Deku scrub, not the one in the pirate fortress you can trivialize with a mask).

Saying that a person "doesn't like Zelda" games because of lovely and unnecessary segments included in an otherwise fun game is pretty disingenuous. It's like if I hated Twilight Princess because of that awful loving carriage segment.

EDIT: I completely forgot about the second stealth segment of OoT, which is also poo poo and can be categorized with having the same problems as the Wind Waker one. But at least it's not at the very beginning of the loving game.

The carriage sequence angle doesn't really fly since not all Zelda games have a carriage sequence.

I didn't remember that the stealth section in Wind Waker started you back at the beginning, though. Probably because I never got caught.

Anyways, I'm excited to play WW again, I haven't played it since I was 12 or something!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
These Diddy Kong Racing rumours are probably (definitely) still bullshit but I want them to be true, if only because I want Rusty to show up in a kart racer:

https://kevincallahangames.wordpress.com/2014/07/09/the-strange-development-of-diddy-kong-racing-2/

• Locked thread