Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Can we get an updated de_mirage callout map that replaces "Kitchen" with "Portillo's"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Meet me at the squiggly road.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

SaberToothedPie posted:

Meet me at the squiggly road.

Small squiggly road or big squiggly road?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Apogee15 posted:

Small squiggly road or big squiggly road?

Same squiggly road

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

The amount of times I heard 'big rock' was pretty hilarious.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Randomly selecting a community map from a pool of hundreds would also nice, ensuring that no team has practiced for it.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
How about we announce a map pool and then, on the day of the tourney, draw all the maps from a completely different pool, ensuring that every single team is an uncoordinated mess?

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

Vahakyla posted:

Randomly selecting a community map from a pool of hundreds would also nice, ensuring that no team has practiced for it.
I'm honestly confused as to why this is something people wanna see. Open up CS, hit the Watch Tab, select a random game on a map you wanna see, there you go. You're watching an uncoordinated mess. Why would you tune into a pro game to watch them not know what they're doing? If you're a fan of normal sports, would you also like to see a group of pro NFL players playing in Game 7 of the World Series?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Coleman posted:

would you also like to see a group of pro NFL players playing in Game 7 of the World Series?

Yes? That sounds fantastic :v:

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

kcer posted:

If map makers didn't take such joy in including as many corners, cubby-holes and obstructions, every new map would be received much more easily. I'd sooner see a new map with too little cover than too much, letting players get used to the layout in general without having to worry about a million angles.

Running into B on Valve's cbble is honestly some sort of joke. A CT could be in about 8 different spots before I even turn to the right.

Ding ding ding.

New maps are fine, as long as they're good. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good. But still I'd like to see Russka, Contra, Tuscan, Fire(let's try de_ignite), etc. properly remade before we see this iteration of Cobblestone played.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Clearly Valve is just waiting for the ~official~ tuscan remake

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

How about we announce a map pool and then, on the day of the tourney, draw all the maps from a completely different pool, ensuring that every single team is an uncoordinated mess?

Having great times organize themselves on the fly would surely be different than watching random MM pubbies flail.

NFL players without the coah would be an apt analogy.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
You'd just see people get caught out of position, fail to check critical spots, and generally play some bad CS. In a game where the TTK is so low, there really isn't room for the kind of mistakes playing on a map you and your mates have had very limited practice on.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

http://www.twitch.tv/playcevo/b/546317322

ibp.steel and cottonz(some CEVO mapper guy?) are working with Valve to get overpass ready for competitive... again... againagain. Maybe the fourth times the charm.

That's their latest critique video.

e: I'd rather see de_overgrown get some attention, it's already got the basics for being a good straightforward map.

mcvey fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 10, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Dr Cheeto posted:

ensuring that every single team is an uncoordinated mess?

I'm sorry but I've played maps for the first time and managed to be "coordinated". It'll take about four scrims for them to figure out the map. The idea that counter-strike maps are some kind of super deep piece of art to be inspected and studied for weeks on end before you can understand what's going on is some kind of dumb fiction.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

down with slavery posted:

I'm sorry but I've played maps for the first time and managed to be "coordinated". It'll take about four scrims for them to figure out the map. The idea that counter-strike maps are some kind of super deep piece of art to be inspected and studied for weeks on end before you can understand what's going on is some kind of dumb fiction.
I'm guessing your 'coordination' and a pro teams 'coordination' are two very different things. Especially with a map as complicated as cobble.
I really hope they do play it at ESL just to see what it's like, see how many dark spot crossfires occur every round.

e: ESWC 2014 just released their map pool: dust2, inferno, train, nuke, mirage, cache, season
Looks good to me.

mcvey fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 10, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

mcvey posted:

I'm guessing your 'coordination' and a pro teams 'coordination' are two very different things. Especially with a map as complicated as cobble.

I actually don't think they are. Also there's a lot of area between a coordinated ballerina dance (which I admit some of the strategies are at the upper levels) and "uncoordinated play" which is what people are whining about and what you will never see in any sense of the word at a professional level, especially on a map like cobble which has been played by professionals for nearly a decade. Having lots of corners does not make a map complicated and fyi for you and kcer like half of those terrible corners in B aren't even accessible to the cts if the Terrorists move in an orderly fashion.

Coleman posted:

If you're a fan of normal sports, would you also like to see a group of pro NFL players playing in Game 7 of the World Series?

lol as well. its hard to believe how stupid some of the things you "fans" of the "sport" of counter-strike say.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Exactly this, lmao. I'm not sure what Kind of analysis you imagine, but uh basically every teams scrims are more about cohesion than drawing on a whiteboard. Most decisions need to happen on the fly.

You cannot actually think 1 month is insufficient time mcvey, i mean it's such an obvious voodoo magic reason im surprised anybody takes it seriously lol.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
i mean what do you actually think is going on during high level team's scrims, practicing throwing 3 smokes and flashes at precisely 1:25? more scoffs going out at those not occurring without a word of planning, because if that type of poo poo is what a team is having to prepare all month for, they are all bad players.

needing to put a concentrated conscious effort toward making plays together will almost for sure mean you will lose lol, even especially in pugs.
whoops quote != edit

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 10, 2014

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

Exactly this, lmao. I'm not sure what Kind of analysis you imagine, but uh basically every teams scrims are more about cohesion than drawing on a whiteboard. Most decisions need to happen on the fly.

You cannot actually think 1 month is insufficient time mcvey, i mean it's such an obvious voodoo magic reason im surprised anybody takes it seriously lol.

Let's ask Titan.NBK:

quote:

To learn a new map takes an incredible amount of time and effort. You need to learn: how to create proper cross-fires, which angles are held, different ways to re-take sites, all the different nade spots and timings, which weapons are most suitable for certain spots, managing your economy etc.
The new veto system is essentially trying to force the new maps being played (if you are lucky they will never get picked due to the random aspect of it). The idea is good in essence, especially from a spectator’s point of view, but only if the level of play lives up to their expectations. However, with only a one month warning prior to ESL One it is likely that we will see decreased performance on the standard maps and mediocre performance on the new maps. Randomness should not play this big a part in an event.

If new maps are introduced in a major tournament, they need to notify teams about it a lot earlier than one month prior to the event.

When Cache was introduced it was first played in online leagues and smaller tournaments. You had to practice it at least a bit in order to stay high up in the league (best example is ESEA). If the maps are tested in this way you are able to see if the map is suited for competitive play in the long run.

To sum things up; the new maps need to have a trial run in leagues or smaller tournaments before being adopted by major events. Another possibility would be creating “seasons” (like in Starcraft 2) where there is a different map-pool every 9-12 months. This would mean that the new maps are tested in a competitive environment. It wouldn’t necessarily mean changing all 7 maps every season but make huge changes (replacing 3 out of 7 maps is a huge change) and keep them for a year. This would require more communication between Valve and tournament organizers as well as the major tournaments agreeing on it. I think it could definitely work though.

Pretend I bolded the whole thing.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

mcvey posted:

Let's ask Titan.NBK:

Pretend I bolded the whole thing.

yeah no doubt it takes many games to truly have the map down where you all have a solid rear end groove that works beautifully. but he's spewing horseshit about crossfires, smokes, and flashes. every team should be getting a good handle on those things within 5 real scrims on any map.

either way they are only trying to buy some time before they have to work out a way to scrim real teams on those maps between now and then, which I could actually see being a pain in the rear end, but of course they seem to be leaning towards the 'preparedness' issue which applies to all of them equally and just plain isn't as extreme as they are making it seem lol.

any time a 20 something gamer says anything in general will take longer than 1 month and is being serious about it he is almost definitely bullshitting.

i can agree that it's kind of weird for this change to be made at the biggest cash tourney though. i mean why not get them tossed in to cevo or whatever all the constant euro tourneys are.

:lol: at the sc2 comparison.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 10, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

any time a 20 something gamer says anything in general will take longer than 1 month and is being serious about it he is almost definitely bullshitting.

:lol: at the sc2 comparison too.

What pro team do you play for again?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

i can agree that it's kind of weird for this change to be made at the biggest cash tourney though. i mean why not get them tossed in to cevo or whatever all the constant euro tourneys are.
There. That's the crux of it. Don't get why that's controversial here. I guess we just disagree on the timeframe?

Glad to see that Valve's going to be further tweeking Overpass to get it competitive ready, hoping they take a look at cobble too.

lurppis posted:

I think we need a seven map pool, with a new map selection system. I wrote about it a few weeks ago, and suggested a couple of different map selection processes in the same article.

ESEA used a seven map pool (de_cache, de_dust2, de_inferno, de_mirage, de_nuke, de_season, de_train) and the split between all maps was fairly good - now if only we could have mirage improved (don't forget de_mirage_go was THE most popular map among top teams before Valve forced their version on us) and train changed for the better.

The problems then? Adding these maps a month (which isn't nearly as much time as you think) before a major event - and to a major event, not a smaller one at first - and choosing these maps in general. They should have followed ESEA, whose "new" maps (cache, season) were actually very popular and already proven in tournament play.

Can pros learn the new maps? Sure. Will they? Likely not properly. Should we have tested this in some online cups, then some smaller tournaments, then big ones, and finally considered majors? Yes.

vvv I'm kind of inclined to take in a pro players opinion on team play and preparedness over X random player.

mcvey fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 11, 2014

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

teagone posted:

Yeah only participants are allowed to voice opinions about competitions they are in. That's why pro athletes never have dumb ideas about the sports they play.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

teagone posted:

lol, there it is. not trying to actually qualify any of my opinions with this, but i have at least done a fair amount of scrimming and ringing for open/poo poo IM teams/one main team that was chill. so yeah definitely not invite level practices, but have you never checked out any good players streams when they stream their team practices? give me an example of what requires that much time to prepare.

look dude this game isn't that loving complicated, but that doesn't mean i'm claiming nothing is gained from bootcamping and scrimming nonstop with your team.

seriously, a loving MONTH dude. ESEA has never given more than a couple of weeks notice before they make changes, obviously that is because they have seasons etc. but when you play so much with the same guys it's not going to take nearly as much hardcore effort to at least pick it up so that you don't meltdown and hide in a janitor's closet if the veto's somehow result in overpass vs cbble or some poo poo.

e: im also not trying to defend opass/cbbl or even the decision to add the maps at this particular tournament. but teams who already just straight up don't practice mirage or nuke really shouldn't be trying to find some way to either a) get more comfortable with whatever map you loving suck on or b) end up bumbling around in a cbble game

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 11, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
Beyond that I bet all the nolifer pros have played plenty of cobble and overpass already as it is. These aren't exactly "new" maps.

teagone posted:

You're right, I'd sooner take advice from some random dude at a pick-up basketball game in my local gym than I would from a pro NBA player. :rolleyes:

Idiot sports analogies itt

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

^^^What other analogies are there?

AugmentedVision posted:

Yeah only participants are allowed to voice opinions about competitions they are in. That's why pro athletes never have dumb ideas about the sports they play.

You're right, I'd sooner take advice from some random dude at a pick-up basketball game in my local gym on how to improve my game than I would from a pro NBA player. :rolleyes:

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 11, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Here is the way I approach this. When I started my interest in CS, I had not yet hit puberty.
Now I am married with my own business, dogs, cats and kids and poo poo.

...and people still play the same maps.

I want to see something different in the game I love/hate. It has been a long time and CS shows no signs of dying either.
There has been plenty and there will be plenty more matches on de_dust2, so we do not have to worry about those going anywhere.
Mixing up the deck every now and then would be funny and add some twists to the community that is so oriented to beaten paths.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 11, 2014

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
Remember when sc2 would patch like the week before gsl finals? I think they did ok.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

teagone posted:

improve my game
Yeah that's totally what we're talking about here

Idiot sports analogies itt

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

teagone posted:

You're right, I'd sooner take advice from some random dude at a pick-up basketball game in my local gym on how to improve my game than I would from a pro NBA player. :rolleyes:

*gets in to a debate over short vs tall tee's in golf, supports position by paraphrasing something that some pro told you long ago*

i am just saying that these guys aren't spending months rehearsing strats and poo poo, lots of them are only trying to avoid having to make a decision between nuke/mirage and one of the new ones.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

ESEA has never given more than a couple of weeks notice before they make changes,
But they do all the time. They even let you publically vote on next seasons maps. Plus there's a pre-season. CEVO also tests new maps during its pre-season.

Vahakyla posted:

...and people still play the same maps.

I want to see something different in the game I love/hate.
~Just because a map is new and unplayed doesn't mean it's good~

Check out the twitch.tv video I posted on the breakdown of Overpass and what needs changing to make it more viable. I don't think there are many people who would scoff at 'new' maps, as long as they're good and tested.

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

*gets in to a debate over short vs tall tee's in golf, supports position by paraphrasing something that some pro told you long ago*
Tall tees only, b i t c h

They should really just put in toscan and season and get into properly remaking all the old comp maps. Contra plz

mcvey fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 11, 2014

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Having lots of corners does not make a map complicated and fyi for you and kcer like half of those terrible corners in B aren't even accessible to the cts if the Terrorists move in an orderly fashion.

Even if the terrorists rush the CTs can still beat them to the platform, and that's before smokes and flashes. It's largely a moot point anyway because even without getting to the platform, you have the cover of that huge wall and the fountain to get into the back of the site, not to mention the numerous spots to use to the right of the door.

It's in a much better way than it was when it came out, though, mostly thanks to that window that drops you into connector.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AugmentedVision posted:

Yeah that's totally what we're talking about here

We're talking about general opinions/knowledge about something, yes?

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

I don't golf.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

5v5 // (y)ours // de_cobblestone // central // pro++

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I really would be surprised if cobble isn't a moderate shitshow, i haven't even seen overpass since they made the first change after it was released. how did valve even end up as the ones controlling the map rotations in the first place?

mcvey posted:

5v5 // (y)ours // de_cobblestone // central // pro++

honestly valve should have waited to make a move like this and launched it along with some scrim/team pairing system built into the mm maplists lol

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 11, 2014

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Sir. SIR. Stop right there CS:GO posting scum.

You have gone WAY over the word limit for an emote and I'll have to issue you a fine. You can either take the ticket or queue 5 matchmaking games with Mr. Pink. You have 48 hours.

:coolfish:

*speeds away*

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Daeno posted:

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Sir. SIR. Stop right there CS:GO posting scum.

You have gone WAY over the word limit for an emote and I'll have to issue you a fine. You can either take the ticket or queue 5 matchmaking games with Mr. Pink. You have 48 hours.

:coolfish:

*speeds away*

i have done my duty and voted the thread a 1 because of my own posting

sorry necco

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

i have done my duty and voted the thread a 1 because of my own posting

sorry necco

I vote the thread 1 everyday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I would have to place the real blame on a soulless piece of trash named brute if I'm being honest. If we had Tuscan everything would be O.K.

• Locked thread