Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Why would anyone want the power to not have or respect magnet powers? The power to mow lawns really fast would be useful though, at least for earning a bit of spending money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I think the power to not have or respect magnet powers is Max's ultimate power, granted to him by BL. I think it's pretty interesting to see the different view of tools shown between BL and Isabel. Whereas Isabel and Eightfold shared a definite friendship between the two of them, BL seems to view tools as exactly that; Disposable things that accomplish a task. Seeing a conversation between the two of them on the matter would be interesting.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Spyromancy is a power far too great for any mortal to wield. It's a good thing Max turned it down, the consequences would have been dire.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well, while their might have been no wrong answer to that test. I very much doubt BL would have just invited Max to join the Consortium if he choose to kill off his spirit due to danger it posed him or for a desire of a better power.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Alright so it wasn't the whole he's evil cliche I want to keep him on leash, but I hope Scrapdragon didn't just hear about Max being able to just throw his bat away. (way to give away your failsafe Max :v: )-Then again we haven't established who possessed him.

Also BL continues to the best.

I totally would've went with Spyromancy.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kabanaw posted:

It would be way better if boss leader just happened upon some kid that passed out in the woods, liked his moxie, and decided to let him join her club. That is the best recruitment program. Also it seems like that's the case unless she was feigning surprise about Max knowing Spender. Think about how mad he'll be

I'm pretty sure that is exactly the case. And/or she just likes messing with Spender. And/or spying on Spender. If this was premeditated she'd probably have known his name.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Tenebrais posted:

I'm pretty sure that is exactly the case. And/or she just likes messing with Spender. And/or spying on Spender. If this was premeditated she'd probably have known his name.
Going by her plan to get Spender to allow field agents in Mayview, I think she's not averse to playing innocent.

I'm really looking forward to Max's first moments in the Consortium hub. If he's blown away by some poisonous tentacles, who knows what he'll make of all that. :allears: Plus maybe as a newbie he'll earn us some insight into what exactly the group DOES.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Does Spyromancy grant control over skylanders too because I hear there's good cash there.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

neogeo0823 posted:

I think the power to not have or respect magnet powers is Max's ultimate power, granted to him by BL. I think it's pretty interesting to see the different view of tools shown between BL and Isabel. Whereas Isabel and Eightfold shared a definite friendship between the two of them, BL seems to view tools as exactly that; Disposable things that accomplish a task. Seeing a conversation between the two of them on the matter would be interesting.

I disagree. I think BL was proposing these ideas to Max as part of the test she admitted it was. Last page she warned Max that his spirit was potentially dangerous and she'd totally kill it for him if he wanted to ensure his own safety. This page, she also suggests to Max that he could totally switch out his power if he wanted something better.

But Max rejected both these ideas, and so she invites him to be a member of the Consortium. I'm getting the impression that killing your spirit for personal safety, or abandoning your spirit just because you want too have better powers are things that the Consortium does not support.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 7, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I disagree. I think BL was proposing these ideas to Max as part of the test she admitted it was. Last page she warned Max that his spirit was potentially dangerous and she'd totally kill it for him if he wanted to ensure his own safety. This page, she also suggests to Max that he could totally switch out his power if he wanted something better.

But Max rejected both these ideas, and so she invites him to be a member of the Consortium. I'm getting the impression that killing your spirit for personal safety, or abandoning your spirit just because you want too have better powers are things that the Consortium does not support.

I'm not sure if the society that devotes itself to murdering spirits is also that concerned with their well-being. Note that a possessing ghost is one that has already been nearly destroyed entirely, so to preserve their spirits or their powers, they have to keep their spirits dying and hungry for more power or some poo poo.

That is to say, I don't think they are so purely altruistic. It's likely entirely true that she'd have let him in even if he had let her kill Scrapdragon.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Yeah, my own impression is that the test isn't in the nature of 'are you someone we want around?' but more 'if you're going to be around we need to know what sort of person you are'. None of the options presented (kill, ditch or keep) would've lead to a 'fail', BL was just gauging Max's attitude toward his spirit.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I think BL was more interested in the reasons behind his choice than what he actually chose.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Is this the first time we've seen Max's full name? I'm guessing his last name's a reference to Kirby Puckett.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Since we're sort of on the topic of spectral attitudes toward spirits, does it seem like all the spectrals underestimate spirits a lot? They assess immediate threats and deal with them, but they don't seem to really care about any long-term spirit plans or anything like that.

I dunno, it just feels like there's some serious poo poo about to go down between the spirit factions, what with Forge coming down to Mayview. But all the spectrals seem to be either unaware or too wrapped up in petty politicking to care, and it's going to bite them in the rear end in a major way later.

Wyld Karde posted:

Yeah, my own impression is that the test isn't in the nature of 'are you someone we want around?' but more 'if you're going to be around we need to know what sort of person you are'. None of the options presented (kill, ditch or keep) would've lead to a 'fail', BL was just gauging Max's attitude toward his spirit.
Yeah, that's the vibe I got too. I guess Max isn't getting signed up for extermination missions any time soon.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

snucks posted:

Is this the first time we've seen Max's full name? I'm guessing his last name's a reference to Kirby Puckett.

We've known his full name since fairly early into Chapter 1, and it's come up again as recently as his flashbacks to his mom a couple pages ago.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Excuse me, his name is clearly Maxitrillion.

I have to say that one of my favorite things about this comic is how much Zack manages to express by having characters completely fail to change expression.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Note that a possessing ghost is one that has already been nearly destroyed entirely, so to preserve their spirits or their powers, they have to keep their spirits dying and hungry for more power or some poo poo.

Nah. Fully healed possessor spirits can remain in their hosts indefinitely if they want, regardless of the host's opinion. That's why man-lizard is a man-lizard. Or the host can keep them in by force of will, which is presumably what Spender's doing.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Wyld Karde posted:

It's one of those useless job interview questions you ask because you have no actual way of telling if someone will do a good job in 10 minutes.

"If you had to guess, how many spirits are in chicago?"

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
it is hilarious that max has found out magnitudes more about the organization that spender works for in two days than isaac has in god knows how long

i guess the consortium is No Anime Allowed

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

A big flaming stink posted:

I think there's someone you're forgetting about.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fecha posted:

I think there's someone you're forgetting about.

No Animes Allowed.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

it is hilarious that max has found out magnitudes more about the organization that spender works for in two days than isaac has in god knows how long

They are deliberately keeping Isaac in the dark because of his spirit.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 10, 2014

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Think you meant Isaac.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

Think you meant Isaac.

Yes, I did.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope they mind-swap at some point

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The fun comes when Isaac learns how much Max knows and Max realizes why he shouldn't share.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
And then that's when the Issac heel turn comes in.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Looks like Boss Leader doesn't know about Isaac.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
u-p-d-a-t-e

Wait why am I just accepting that his last name is burger

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Puckett suddenly seems like a really lame last name now don't it

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You just have to live in a Burgh to be a burger. Max, don't get all homicidal.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
While finding out about the Burger Child is pretty cool. We also learned that Isabel's grandfather's name is Francisco. This page raises a lot of questions in my mind. First, it shows Boss Leader is certainly aware and annoyed with Spender's secrecy. Also, in panel 5, it appears she has white spectral energy.

I wonder how old she actually is? And I suppose the last two panels is a request that Max reports on Spender to her?

Edit: Actually, she didn't mention Isaac. Spender supposedly defeated a storm god and he keeps Isaac in the dark about most details. Do you think the Activity Consortium has no idea Isaac exists?

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 11, 2014

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I knew a guy whose last name was Burger.

I knew a different guy whose first name was Angus.

I always thought they should get married.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
In response to the question on how spectral kids are normally trained.

Zach posted:

Normally they're trained in their dreams, in the dream hub, or assigned to a traveling Consortium agent mentor!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wow, Boss Leader is ridiculously critical to the entire spectral system and must possibly also be immortal.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Wow, Boss Leader is ridiculously critical to the entire spectral system and must possibly also be immortal.

If the spirit giving dream powers is cooperative like eightfold or tooled then they should be able to pass the dream powers to other people.

So actually it's just that spirit that is ridiculously critical.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Your way works too posted:

If the spirit giving dream powers is cooperative like eightfold or tooled then they should be able to pass the dream powers to other people.

True, though the way she talks seems to indicate she's at least older than Spender. She did say she has an affection for that boy.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

Your way works too posted:

Considering the way she looks, it's most likely that she's a Medium. More importantly, it's very likely that Spender doesn't have access to his tool's powers when he's not in his own dream room. We never see him use them, anyway. We never see anybody use any powers, outside of B.L. Well, there was that one stretchy limbs character, but who knows if that was spirit power or possession traits. Which raises the more important question of whether she's even asleep or not. She seems pretty omnipresent when it comes to existing in the dream space, and it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that she's there in actuality, and not just dreaming. In which case, one would have to ask, is a master of dreams who exists in dreams forced to age? She could be functionally immortal in that sense.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Radiochromatic posted:

Considering the way she looks, it's most likely that she's a Medium.

She explicitly states that she was a medium several strips ago. (We've also seen her white aura before.) So, yeah. While her weird shape stuff is probably dream-powers rather than a side-effect of her form, she's definitely possessed and that's probably why she wears those bandages. Tangent, it's pretty heavily implied that she's the only creating/controlling the entire dream hub; the moment she inducts Max into the Consortium, a room for him starts to form. Between this and that the hub presumably has to be up so that any Consortium member can enter it while sleeping, including situations like getting knocked out as with those clowns on the elevator, I would not be surprised if she was in fact always asleep as some people speculate. Whether it's by choice, a side-effect of her power, or something else, though, is another question.

Anyway, this strip is an interesting look at Boss Leader. She seems legitimately concerned about Spender, as opposed to her trolling we see everywhere else with her. At the same time, she expresses a desire for control over the situation and/or Spender himself, which somewhat lessens how sympathetic she comes off as. Still, assuming this isn't her loving with Max or pulling off a con on him and possibly Spender, it's an interesting look into her thoughts and personality beyond "screwing with people is fun".

Not that that isn't true, because it definitely is. Boss Leader for best character forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Matlock Birthmark posted:

True, though the way she talks seems to indicate she's at least older than Spender. She did say she has an affection for that boy.

Remind me, Spender's only about 25 right?