Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Pththya-lyi posted:

Yes, this group failed to hear screams coming from the ride, failed to read the posted sign warning that Expedition Everest is a "high-speed, roller coaster-type train ride . . . that includes sharp turns and sudden drops, traveling both forwards and backwards through dark, winding tunnels," and failed to connect the dots when they had to submit to seat restraints. Indeed, "I don't know what made them think it was just a train ride in the mountains."

I'm surprised they didn't mention how they had packed their bags because they'd be gone so long. "I've got my luggage ready for our 3 day relaxing train ride through the mountains!" LOLOL

Why am I even refuting this dumb poo poo.

The real stdh is that the yeti was actually working. Other Disneyland/world fans will know what I mean.

edit: also the part where you get to the broken tracks IS the part where you start to go backwards, fuckwad can't even keep his lovely story straight.

edit 2: and not to sperg out too much but if you look at the video, you can see that even if the tracks weren't torn up/wrecked there wouldn't be any place to go. The mountain just stops, and its just nothing except florida everglades. I don't think anyone could actually think that damage wasn't carefully crafted, and they were experiencing an actual emergency.

KiddieGrinder has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Jul 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
Isn't there a poo poo that Did Happen thread? All this retail chat reminds me of a pretty good incident I was involved in, and it totally sounds like poo poo that didn't happen, except it did.

Edit: vv Thanks! Oh, the last post in that thread is a month old. Eh, never mind.

Centripetal Horse has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Jul 10, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There is!

The theater thing, I was in my school's theater club from grade 6 all the way to graduation, which counts as "7 years in theatre" only if you split hairs, but actual children don't gently caress around like that minutes before a show starts. Mostly because everyone's got the jitters.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Nvm forgot to scroll down :downs:

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Pththya-lyi posted:

This story comes to you from Disboards.com, where you can discuss Disney World vacations in obsessive detail.

Yes, this group failed to hear screams coming from the ride, failed to read the posted sign warning that Expedition Everest is a "high-speed, roller coaster-type train ride . . . that includes sharp turns and sudden drops, traveling both forwards and backwards through dark, winding tunnels," and failed to connect the dots when they had to submit to seat restraints. Indeed, "I don't know what made them think it was just a train ride in the mountains."

As an ex-Disneyland Cast Member, I can confirm that lots of people ignore signs (countless times per hour, our ride would get people asking us where Fast Passes for another ride were, even though just looking up as they walked over to us would answer their questions), could easily think screams are from another ride (never been on Everest, so I dunno what the queue is like), and just kind of turn off their brains when they get to the park. The STDH is that a group of girls wanted to ride a relaxing ride.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Back when I was a wee kid, we lived across from a popular public pool in a tiny street so parking was premium. We sometimes had issues with people parking across our driveway, but we were pretty chummy with the pool owner and would just get him to put the message out over the loud speakers and the people would come over, apologise and move their car.

However, one afternoon coming home from school this person had the audacity to park IN our driveway, IN our garage... My dad was dumbfounded. We went over and put the message out as per usual and this woman in her 30s came over in a huff and said she would fix it when she had finished her exercise routine. So my dad just parked behind her and we went out for dinner for 4 hours or so.

She was pissed, but the story does not end there. She kept doing it. Usually 2-4 times a month. Eventually my Dad would not think twice about parking her in and letting her out at his own leisure. No problem by us, lots of problems by her. She once called the police on us, to which they just told her to not park on private property and wrote her a citation.

But wait, there's more. One Saturday morning she had the gall to park us in our own driveway. Dad had had enough. He made sure she was doing her laps, grabbed a coat hanger, jimmed the car open, and dismantled the passenger seat. Taking it out and leaving it on the curb in front of the pool exit.

He then sat on our front deck, sipping his tea as she came out of the pool to get her car. She walked passed the passenger seat without a second glance and scowled at him as she opened her car and got in. She then did a double take as she went to put her bag on the seat. She freaked out, realising that my Dad had had access to her car and belongings this entire time and done nothing about it until now. She ran over, grabbed her seat, put it in the boot and drove off. Never heard from her again.

TL;DR: Don't gently caress with a man that can dismantle your car.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Why wouldn't they just call a tow truck?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Bonster posted:

Because this is "poo poo that didn't happen", not "poo poo that actual human beings would do".

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Bonster posted:

Or call the police the first time? Or put a door on their garage? What is it, some open stable?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah it's really weird to leave your garage door open, even more so when someone is habitually parking in it.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
I'm really disappointed that the story didn't end with the dad marrying the parking woman.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Bloopsy posted:

I'm really disappointed that the story didn't end with the dad marrying the parking woman.

Well, she was Albert Einstein, it wouldn't have been legal back then.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Bloopsy posted:

And the water in the pool de-Alex Macking into a person and clapping

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

sweeperbravo posted:

And the water in the pool de-Alex Macking into a person and clapping

"De-Alex Macking." If this wasn't a term before, I applaud you for making it one. I haven't thought about that show in years.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dis posted:

"De-Alex Macking." If this wasn't a term before, I applaud you for making it one. I haven't thought about that show in years.

I agree, I hadn't thought about it in so long that it took me about thirty seconds before I was even able to parse what he meant.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

My Lovely Horse posted:

There is!

The theater thing, I was in my school's theater club from grade 6 all the way to graduation, which counts as "7 years in theatre" only if you split hairs, but actual children don't gently caress around like that minutes before a show starts. Mostly because everyone's got the jitters.

I did costuming for a kid's theatre for several years. Most of the kids were good, but there were always some who figured that talking to their friends outside, screwing around with their phones, or generally playing around were more important than being in their places, getting through hair & make-up, things like that.

Here's some school stuff.

quote:

Incorrectly Referencing
SECONDARY SCHOOL | LONDON, ENGLAND, UK | BAD BEHAVIOR, MATH & SCIENCE, TEACHERS
(I’m applying for university, and I have to get references from all my subject teachers.)

Maths Teacher: “I finished your reference. Here you go.”

Me: “Thank you! Oh… erm, I’m sorry, sir, but I don’t know if I can use this.”

Maths Teacher: “What’s wrong with it?”

Me: “Well you’ve written “[My Name] sometimes struggles with maths and asks for help.”

Maths Teacher: “Well yes, remember two weeks ago when you asked the question about the homework assignment?”

Me: “… No?”

Maths Teacher: “Yes, you called me over to your desk and asked for help because you didn’t understand the homework assignment.”

Me: “Um… no. I called you over because you had marked three of my correct answers as incorrect.”

Maths Teacher: “Yeah, right. So you sometimes struggle and ask for help.”

Me: “Sir, asking you to correct mistakes that YOU made does not mean I struggle at this subject!”

Maths Teacher: “Well, whatever. Universities like this. It shows you’re not afraid to ask for help. Why are you so bothered by this, anyway?”

Me: “Because I’m applying to do a maths degree. I think the university is going to care about what my MATHS teacher says about my MATHS abilities when I’m applying to study maths!”

Maths Teacher: “I have a stack of references to write. Just blank that bit out if you’re going to make such a fuss!”

(I got the head of maths at my school to write my reference instead, and I got into university. Now I have a first class honours degree in maths. Not bad for a girl who ‘struggles’ with maths!)

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Well... it did happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_pKKO35Kh4

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

Wow even staged with actors and cameras it still isn't funny and just comes off as sad.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Obsolete posted:

Wow even staged with actors and cameras it still isn't funny and just comes off as sad.

Welcome to flash mobs.

Edit: unless it’s those Japanese ones where like 40 people over the course of 10 minutes just follow someone around, or start running at them from around an alley.

TotalBlammBlamm
Apr 14, 2007

Wham bam, thank you ma'am!
Bad guys with a heart!

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

TotalBlammBlamm posted:

Bad guys with a heart!

That would be shit_that_DID_happen.txt

http://archive.wbir.com/news/article/283676/16/Burglars-return-stolen-computers-with-hand-written-apology

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yes, this is a collection of believable reactions, and it all happened in one minute.

WickedHate has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Jul 11, 2014

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Khazar-khum posted:

Here's some school stuff.

What kin of nerd perfectly remembers a conversation 3 years on?

a fake one

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
So dashcon, the convention "by tumblr users, for tumblr users," posted this at the end of the first day of their convention:

And they did it. They actually raised $17,000 in an hour from donations. That'll show those hotel management bullies that want to throw out convention goers just because they don't like them! But wait, uh oh...

So a bunch teens probably just got scammed out of 17k by the convention's organizers who more than likely didn't have any of their poo poo together.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Apparently the convention and the hotel entered a verbal agreement instead of drawing up any actual paperwork. I'm excited to see how this mess unfolds.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Like a dappled fawn taking its first shaky steps, we see the wild and elusive teenagerus snowflakeii struggle with its first exposure to the real world. Beautiful, in its way.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
From generic Buzzfeed ripoff Distractify

tl;dr Old man angry about kids these days and their cell phones makes up a story and posts it on Craigslist.

quote:

A busy NYC restaurant kept getting bad reviews for slow service, so they hired a firm to investigate. When they compared footage from 2004 to footage from 2014, they made some pretty startling discoveries. So shocking, in fact, that they ranted about it on Craigslist!

Here's the transcription:
We are a popular restaurant for both locals and tourists alike. Having been in business for many years, we noticed that although the number of customers we serve on a daily basis is almost the same today as it was 10 years ago, the service just seems super slow even though we added more staff and cut back on the menu items...

One of the most common complaints on review sites against us and many restaurants in the area is that the service was slow and/or they needed to wait a bit long for a table.

We decided to hire a firm to help us solve this mystery, and naturally the first thing they blamed it on was that the employees need more training and that maybe the kitchen staff is just not up to the task of serving that many customers.

Like most restaurants in NYC we have a surveillance system, and unlike today where it's a digital system, 10 years ago we still used special high capacity tapes to record all activity. At any given time we had 4 special Sony systems recording multiple cameras. We would store the footage for 90 days just in case we needed it for something.

The firm we hired suggested we locate some of the older tapes and analyze how the staff behaved 10 years ago versus how they behave now. We went down to our storage room but we couldn't find any tapes at all.

We did find the recording devices, and luckily for us, each device has 1 tape in it that we simply never removed when we upgraded to the new digital system!

The date stamp on the old footage was Thursday July 1, 2004. The restaurant was very busy that day. We loaded up the footage on a large monitor, and next to it on a separate monitor loaded up the footage of Thursday July 3 2014, with roughly the same amount of customers as ten years before.

I will quickly outline the findings. We carefully looked at over 45 transactions in order to determine the data below:

2004:

Customers walk in.

They gets seated and are given menus, out of 45 customers 3 request to be seated elsewhere.

Customers on average spend 8 minutes before closing the menu to show they are ready to order.

Waiters shows up almost instantly takes the order.

Appetizers are fired within 6 minutes, obviously the more complex items take longer.

Out of 45 customers 2 sent items back.

Waiters keep an eye out for their tables so they can respond quickly if the customer needs something.

After guests are done, the check delivered, and within 5 minutes they leave.

Average time from start to finish: 1:05

2014:
Customers walk in.

Customers get seated and is given menus, out of 45 customers 18 requested to be seated elsewhere.

Before even opening the menu they take their phones out, some are taking photos while others are simply doing something else on their phone (sorry we have no clue what they are doing and do not monitor customer WIFI activity).

7 out of the 45 customers had waiters come over right away, they showed them something on their phone and spent an average of 5 minutes of the waiter's time. Given this is recent footage, we asked the waiters about this and they explained those customers had a problem connecting to the WIFI and demanded the waiters try to help them.

Finally the waiters are walking over to the table to see what the customers would like to order. The majority have not even opened the menu and ask the waiter to wait a bit.

Customer opens the menu, places their hands holding their phones on top of it and continue doing whatever on their phone.

Waiter returns to see if they are ready to order or have any questions. The customer asks for more time.

Finally they are ready to order.

Total average time from when the customer was seated until they placed their order 21 minutes.

Food starts getting delivered within 6 minutes, obviously the more complex items take way longer.

26 out of 45 customers spend an average of 3 minutes taking photos of the food.

14 out of 45 customers take pictures of each other with the food in front of them or as they are eating the food. This takes on average another 4 minutes as they must review and sometimes retake the photo.

9 out of 45 customers sent their food back to reheat. Obviously if they didn't pause to do whatever on their phone the food wouldn't have gotten cold.

27 out of 45 customers asked their waiter to take a group photo. 14 of those requested the waiter retake the photo as they were not pleased with the first photo. On average this entire process between the chit chatting and reviewing the photo taken added another 5 minutes and obviously caused the waiter not to be able to take care of other tables he/she was serving.

Given in most cases the customers are constantly busy on their phones it took an average of 20 minutes more from when they were done eating until they requested a check. Furthermore once the check was delivered it took 15 minutes longer than 10 years ago for them to pay and leave.

8 out of 45 customers bumped into other customers or in one case a waiter (texting while walking) as they were either walking in or out of the Restaurant.

Average time from start to finish: 1:55

We are grateful for everyone who comes into our restaurant, after all there are so many choices out there. But can you please be a bit more considerate?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I thought it was going to be that the wait staff were distracted by phones. Why would the customers feel poorly waited on if they were being stimulated by their phones the whole time?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I do love it when people try to make up stories about something they know nothing about.
"The customers waste our waitstaff's time trying to connect to the WIFI because I am 8,000 years old and have no idea what 3G/4G is."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

S O M E G I Z M O

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
What I love about it is it's clearly an example of someone thinking more details = more believable. Why would anyone give a gently caress that you used to use tapes and you couldn't find one but then found one and blah blah blah. Why not just start the story "We compared our footage from ten years ago and today, and here's what we found..."

Oh yeah, that's right, it's because it never actually happened.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCSgrHogq6I&t=548s

I don't know what's real anymore.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Justified, this is a planned event and not spontaneous singing

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Phonepostin', disregard DamnLol tags.

nar.jpg

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Yes, this is a collection of believable reactions, and it all happened in one minute.

This actually is totally believable and loving hilarious. Dramatical Murder starts out as this cyberpunk The Warriors thing that I can see a boy digging, and doesn't just get gay but get dumb yaoi gay. Like, imagine if you were a kid and someone told you that in a sequel to Star Wars Luke and Chewie made passionate love? And then Lando gets hypnotised by a Sith and rapes Luke. It's that kind of thing.

Oh, and it probably didn't happen in a minute, and instead they just told the whole story over multiple tweets in a row.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

This actually is totally believable and loving hilarious. Dramatical Murder starts out as this cyberpunk The Warriors thing that I can see a boy digging, and doesn't just get gay but get dumb yaoi gay. Like, imagine if you were a kid and someone told you that in a sequel to Star Wars Luke and Chewie made passionate love? And then Lando gets hypnotised by a Sith and rapes Luke. It's that kind of thing.

Oh, and it probably didn't happen in a minute, and instead they just told the whole story over multiple tweets in a row.

come on man what are you doing don't tell everyone that you watch the gay rape anime

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

The Devil Tesla posted:

Oh thank god you were here to elucidate.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Welcom :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
cross post

• Locked thread