Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
I hope when TFS finally get round to the Buu saga adult Gohan's become a full-on Rusty Venture and is a bitter and resentful failure tired of living in his dead father's shadow. Goten & Trunks can be his Hank and Dean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MastG
May 25, 2014

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

I hope when TFS finally get round to the Buu saga adult Gohan's become a full-on Rusty Venture and is a bitter and resentful failure tired of living in his dead father's shadow. Goten & Trunks can be his Hank and Dean.

That's probably the best possible outcome. That or Gohan totally forgets his father and Goku totally forgets his son.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Darko posted:

The Internet forgets about all the intervening years he spent with family, why Goku handled the Cell fight wrong (spending literal years straight training with his son and thinking of him as a fighter as opposed to a kid, which was the entire point of the sequence), and also takes GT as fact (which had Goku literally go off and train Uub for like 10 years or something as opposed to training him and popping back in to be with family).

We don't forget, they just aren't important, like no one says he spends literally no time with his family, just that he takes time off and abandons them really easily. At least three times for dumb as gently caress reasons. The end of the Frieza, Cell, and Buu sagas are it. Also I don't take GT as if I remember correctly GT actually makes it seem he comes back while I believe then end of DBZ has him literally saying "I am going to live in his village with him to train him" which is pretty cut and dry.

Hell If I remember correctly he spends less time with them over the series then without them. He is a huge douche.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hell If I remember correctly he spends less time with them over the series then without them. He is a huge douche.

You do not remember correctly. It was literally listed out good grief.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Chi Chi fell in love with and demanded to marry a martial artist who cared about nothing other than travelling the world fighting strong guys. Goku had no idea what "marriage" or a "wife" were, and even after he explained that, and he agreed to marry Chi Chi only because he made a promise, Chi Chi still married him and tried to tie him down as a family man.

He's a member of a race bred and programmed to fight, sent to Earth to fight, raised as a child by a fighter, trained by several of the Earth's best fighters, and fought some of the Earth's OTHER best fighters. Then everyone's surprised that in his adult life he continues to fight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Torix posted:

He's a member of a race bred and programmed to fight, sent to Earth to fight, raised as a child by a fighter, trained by several of the Earth's best fighters, and fought some of the Earth's OTHER best fighters. Then everyone's surprised that in his adult life he continues to fight.

On the other hand, Vegeta actually does a significantly better job than Goku.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ImpAtom posted:

Vegeta didn't get tossed off a cliff as a baby.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

As a Saiyan elite, Vegeta was groomed for Dairy Queen.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ChronoReverse posted:

You do not remember correctly. It was literally listed out good grief.

Nah, I just did the math, I am correct. Even counting the chamber he spends more time dead/in space then at home.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rudoku posted:

Vegeta didn't get tossed off a cliff as a baby.

Vegeta also doesn't have a confirmed pure, innocent heart that lets him fly on a cloud.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darko posted:

Vegeta also doesn't have a confirmed pure, innocent heart that lets him fly on a cloud.

Being pure of heart doesn't mean you're also not kind of a shithead about a lot of things!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, Goku can fly on the cloud, which only a handful of other characters can do and the Devil's Evilness Beam (name escapes me) didn't do anything to him, which was supposed to be impossible as all humans have some speck of evil in them.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

We don't forget, they just aren't important, like no one says he spends literally no time with his family, just that he takes time off and abandons them really easily. At least three times for dumb as gently caress reasons. The end of the Frieza, Cell, and Buu sagas are it. Also I don't take GT as if I remember correctly GT actually makes it seem he comes back while I believe then end of DBZ has him literally saying "I am going to live in his village with him to train him" which is pretty cut and dry.

He was healing on Yardat for months, then learned they had a teleportation technique and stayed there for a year, learning it and learning to go SSJ without going crazy angry while doing it. That was selfish in theory, but he probably thought he needed to learn that stuff.

He then died and blamed himself for stuff always happening and decided to stop using the Dragon Balls to bring himself back. That made sense from his perspective. Not a great move, but it made sense.

Goku was gone ~9 years on his own (year and a half - 2 years between Freeza and Trunks, 7 years dead).

Goku was with Chichi/Gohan for 6 years from Dragon Ball - Dragon Ball Z. Trained with Gohan/Piccolo for 3 years. Spent a year in the room of space and time with Gohan. Came back to life and fought Buu and stayed with his family for ten years farming and stuff - Uub. So that's 20 years, in the series.

So, he spent double the time in the series with his family as dead or gone.

Darko fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 10, 2014

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Being pure of heart doesn't mean you're also not kind of a shithead about a lot of things!

Intent is a lot. It shows things like "I'm going to stay dead" were actually made to the best of his reasoning ability and legitimately made for that reason as opposed to selfish reasons. The intent of the series was always that he had their best wishes at heart and thought he was doing things for the good of everyone, even if he did get hit on the head as a baby and was pretty dumb.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'm pretty sure you're putting way more thought into this than Toriyama ever did.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Genocyber posted:

I'm pretty sure you're putting way more thought into this than Toriyama ever did.

Dragon Ball is a surprisingly clean, consistent series - one of the best when it comes to keeping characters generally together, and progressing cleanly with very few plotholes. He changed his mind about things over time, and seems to have forgotten a bit when he quit writing, but he obviously cared a lot while writing it.

It's really the anime that introduces most of the plot holes/issues with the series - it's actually surprising how well the manga flows.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CharlestheHammer posted:

You are purposefully ignoring the fact he stayed dead after Cell for what he at least thought were good intentions. What's the point of being with your family if you constantly are putting them and the whole world under duress, putting them at risk of getting killed, and possibly getting yourself killed again?

Goku wasn't a great dad, but he wasn't a deadbeat like the internet/DBZA spoofs him to be.

God, never thought I would get to a place where I would groan about something TFS has done.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
By the time Goku came back to stay with his family after fighting Buu, Gohan was already 16 or 17 and well adjusted enough to go on to live a normal adult life later on so that shouldn't really count as "raising his son." Goten, sure, but I think the ship had mostly sailed with Gohan by then.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

My problem with Goku deciding to stay dead is he apparently didn't even check in on his family, he can use King Kai to dial in and talk to them at least but he didn't even know he had a son or that Gohan hadn't been training.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goku's a cooler dad than any of your dads.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

facebook jihad posted:

Goku wasn't a great dad, but he wasn't a deadbeat like the internet/DBZA spoofs him to be..
I mean, it is all a joke about how naive and silly Goku is, and the discussion kinda hinges on ignoring the fact Dragonball, DBZ and DBGT have a lot of comedy to them, but technically choosing to stay dead and not supporting his wife? Yeah, he's a deadbeat dad. That's pretty much what the term means, in fact.

And before anyone points it out, DBGT is a dark comedy. On the viewer.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

I mean, it is all a joke about how naive and silly Goku is, and the discussion kinda hinges on ignoring the fact Dragonball, DBZ and DBGT have a lot of comedy to them, but technically choosing to stay dead and not supporting his wife? Yeah, he's a deadbeat dad. That's pretty much what the term means, in fact.

And before anyone points it out, DBGT is a dark comedy. On the viewer.

quote:

Deadbeat parent is a pejorative term referring to parents who evade court ordered child support obligations.

I wasn't aware Goku went to court. :confused: Though that owns that he decided to stay dead to not pay child support and see Gohan on the weekends.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I've decided to retract my earlier hope of Goku not knowing who Gohan is. I now want him to think Goten is Gohan and still not know who Gohan is.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
It's going to be more like Gohan gets really annoyed and jealous because Goku will notice Goten immediately and shower him with attention the very first time they meet.

On the subject of dad chat, it's kind of funny how the dub has Goku say supportive things like "That's so great, Gohan! I'm so proud of you." Goku never actually says stuff like that.

MastG
May 25, 2014

Squallege posted:

I've decided to retract my earlier hope of Goku not knowing who Gohan is. I now want him to think Goten is Gohan and still not know who Gohan is.

I want him to treat Goten like the greatest son in the world and basically treat Gohan like a third wheel.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Those are both better ideas

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Well, if you consider Goku's maturity level, Goten's birth would make Gohan the 'middle child' of the family. :haw:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Saiyaman is either going to be Gohan having a psychotic break or him being so happy his dad is gone.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Darko posted:

Saiyaman is either going to be Gohan having a psychotic break or him being so happy his dad is gone.

Given who superheroes are idealized male role models, it is really no wonder Gohan likes them so much.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

e X posted:

Given who superheroes are idealized male role models, it is really no wonder Gohan likes them so much.

That and he's a gigantic nerd.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Neo_Crimson posted:

That and he's a gigantic nerd.

Now that we've seen Gohan's love for mysteies I want Saiyaman to be played completely straight like Batman or something.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Squallege posted:

Now that we've seen Gohan's love for mysteies I want Saiyaman to be played completely straight like Batman or something.

The city is afraid of me, I have seen its true face!

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

e X posted:

I hold out some small smidge of hope that TFS will toss in a bit of Kamen Rider into Saiyaman.

It's his namesake, after all.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

StrifeHira posted:

I hold out some small smidge of hope that TFS will toss in a bit of Kamen Rider into Saiyaman.

It's his namesake, after all.

That would be awesome, but do they know enough about KR to make any jokes?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Some Numbers posted:

If they're this huge of fans of Dragonball, knowing poo poo about Kamen Rider is hardly out of the question.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Some Numbers posted:

Well, they are aware of Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills, so I reckon they know about the stuff it was aping.

(I was pretty surprised that was an actual thing and not something they made up for that joke.)

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Metal Loaf posted:

(I was pretty surprised that was an actual thing and not something they made up for that joke.)

Wait, what the gently caress?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmhRKU5zBS8

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
TTAfBH was a rip off of Power Rangers/Super Sentai though, not Kamen Rider.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

WickedHate posted:

TTAfBH was a rip off of Power Rangers/Super Sentai though, not Kamen Rider.

There's always TMNT: The next mutation. It actually had a Masked Rider cameo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
Didn't Masked Rider also spin-off from Power Rangers Zeo?

To segue this back into DB territory, has anyone actually watched Dragonball: The Magic Within or whatever the Japanese live action film in the late 80's early 90's was? And is it as bad as it looked?

• Locked thread