Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
My 18 month old walks up to me, looks me right in the eyes and says POOP

After she poops, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
My 2 year old still cannot accurately tell me if she has a monster load in her diaper or not. The answer is always "yes". :sigh:

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
We started introducing the potty around 15 months, mainly just setting it down next to him when he was working on a load and asking if he wanted to sit on it. Took a while to warm up to it, but now at 17 months he loves sitting on it before bath time. He understands what pee and poo are, has peed a couple times in it, and asks to be taken out of the bath if he has to poo. Unfortunately, this is usually after he's started leaving skid marks on the bottom of the tub, but he seems to understand the concept so I'm not gonna complain.

Now he stands up in the tub with this look of distress on his face yelling "Potty! Potty!" when the urge comes. Always makes me laugh, I imagine him thinking "Save me, something is coming out of my butt!"

As an aside, never thought I'd be so excited to see a few drops of pee or a turd in a baby toilet, but such is life with a toddler, huh? You'd think we won the lottery a couple days ago when he took his first decent crap in the toilet, we were all jumping around and high-fiving so much. :)

Probably solves the "why does nobody invite us over anymore?" question as well! ;)

Edit:
Also, every time he's sitting on the floor and trying to fill his diaper, I ask him if he wants to sit on sit potty. The answer is an emphatic "No!" 100% of the time, and then he usually gets up 30 seconds later to go sit on it. Toddlers and their imperfect understanding of Yes/No never stops being hilarious.

JBark fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 10, 2014

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I have a 6 month old and I'm very curious about how one starts potty training at this age. Not that I want to start now, but how on earth it's even possible.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Papercut posted:

What do you do if your 6-month-old screams bloody murder just from being sat on the potty, and after a few tries starts screaming just at the sight of it? I hope the answer is "give up until they're older", because that's what I did.

Yikes. No clue. We would sit it in front of toys so they just didn't really notice the potty it was just play. Worked great for our older boy. Our 1 yr. old is taking to it well although he stands up a lot. We haven't had a scream bloody murder fit though so IDK. Sorry it didn't work for you.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Anya posted:

I have a 6 month old and I'm very curious about how one starts potty training at this age. Not that I want to start now, but how on earth it's even possible.

Get a kiddie potty sit with them with some favorite toys and play. Treat it like play and just kind of ignore the potty. Praise if they go though. Try to put them on if they go at certain times. Our youngest poops after breakfast pretty regularly so we put him on then. Just keep doing it and make sure you point out and praise every time they go. At some point with our older child we started giving him a treat (a gummy snack) which further encouraged him to go. By around 2 he decided he hated diapers so that helped close the deal. We explained to him that he c stop wearing them I'd he potties full time. He had one regression for 2 weeks but that was it.

Yellow Jesus
Jul 18, 2003

Sockmuppet posted:

I'd just like to take a moment to lament the otherwise gorgeous and delightful Midnight sun. I grew up here (north of Norway), and have no problems sleeping in a world where the sun never sets and no curtain is quite enough to keep the light out, but my husband and my poor daughter were born down south, and now we're here on holiday visiting my parents, and the never ending daylight is messing up their sleep completely, which obviously messes up my sleep. I need another holiday after this holiday :(

Put zalo on the windows and cover them with aluminum foil. Easy to remove and blocks out all light

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yellow Jesus posted:

Put zalo on the windows and cover them with aluminum foil. Easy to remove and blocks out all light

We got blackout curtains, which can work, but Alex freaks out if she wakes up and finds them closed. She's ok if she closed them herself, though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

frenchnewwave posted:

How did you all know that your kid was ready for potty training? My 19 month old is clearly not ready but a bunch of other people's kids around the same age are already starting.

Whenever the child expresses interest. Oh, you're curious about potties? Let's do this. You get to wear these cool undies if you do, you know.

My middle daughter expressed interest at 14 months, which was hilarious. My oldest daughter was around 2; my son around 3.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My 12 month old has some interest for two reasons. 1) He sees his mom use it because he hates being put in the crib just so she can go to the bathroom when she has him by herself 2) We have locks on the toilets. Anything that is locked or restricted he is automatically interested in.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
Thanks for all the support everyone. I meant to post earlier, but my 2 year old got sick this week and threw up all over my laptop. The joy. I bought a can of formula, and so far I've only had to use it once. It's still crazy, but it's nice to know that it is there for really bad days without suddenly killing my milk supply and having to quit breastfeeding altogether.

AlistairCookie posted:

Fast forward and now they're three and six. They love each other, they hate each other, they're playing like little pals, they're hitting each other with plastic bats. They wrestle, they're loud, they plot and scheme together. We're close to being done with pullups (by the fall, I'm hoping we can get the poop thing resolved), and I feel we're moved on from all things "baby". Now they're both old enough we feel that they can enjoy a small trip, and we're talking about taking a proper family vacation. (To the Field Museum in Chicago to see the dinosaur bones, and to Shed's to see the fish. :) ) It's something we didn't want to do towing a toddler. I'm glad we didn't wait much longer, because I'm not sure how much of gap would be too much for them to be playmates now.

I'm so glad you posted this. It's easy to feel like you can't cope, even when you know lots of women all over the world manage every day, and it's nice to be reminded that it'll pay off in the future. I see how my toddler looks at the baby, and cries when the baby cries (which is so sweet and just as unhelpful) and it makes me glad of the age gap, but I wish I could fast-forward it a little bit :P

As per bigger gaps, there's a 7 year one between me and my brother and it was great in a way. I always helped out with feedings, changing, homeworks, etc. We are, even now, pretty close in a way. We look out after one another, we discuss major life events, text a lot, and we always try to have at least one thing that we share/spend time with: Cartoons (when he was young), online poker, game of thrones, etc. He is a great uncle, and everyone can tell we love each other a lot... but we're not best friends. The age gap means that we're often not interested in the same things at the same time, we have different friends, different stages in life, etc. I always joke about how I feel more like a parent than a sibling, and he acts as if I am in a way. Siblings are just great =)

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
We are in the process of vaguely pushing our two-year-old girl into potty training. Daniel Tiger has helped (yet again) here; one of the episodes we have on DVD has a "When you need to use the potty, stop and go right away" song. We're now at the point where she will sometimes say she needs to use the potty, and then sings the song.

We're taking a rather slow approach, and not forcing it on her. Whenever she does "use" the potty, though, we tell her it's good that she asked to go and such. Very much a carrot approach, but we're also pretty chill about it. She knows it's what grown-ups do and what Daniel Tiger does, so that's enough incentive for her to figure it out.

SexyPatTO
Jul 1, 2014

JBark posted:

Also, every time he's sitting on the floor and trying to fill his diaper, I ask him if he wants to sit on sit potty. The answer is an emphatic "No!" 100% of the time, and then he usually gets up 30 seconds later to go sit on it. Toddlers and their imperfect understanding of Yes/No never stops being hilarious.

Our 2.5 yr old son poops pretty regularly right after dinner. He goes into his playroom and then calls out "Bye mommy! Bye daddy!" and then you can hear him straining.

He was curious about the toilet when we first started trying, around 26 months, but then he figured out that it was important to us that he use it, so he decided that he'll get to it on his own time.

I am told that the "reward" system (i.e. something revolting like giving him an M & M every time he sits on the potty) doesn't work well, but maybe others have had good results? Undoubtedly stories about this are buried deep within a megathread that I am only just getting to know.

Anyway, we're trying the relaxed approach, and telling ourselves that "he's very smart" and will do it when he's ready. We are eager not to create a kid who ends up having bathroom shame issues...Of course we're also eager not to create a kid who's still getting his diaper changed at 8....

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Anya posted:

There is something called Elimination Communication that people do with young babies. I didn't do it, but have heard of people doing it successfully. Mostly it seems like a lot of work because obviously this is not an infant making their way over to a toilet by themselves. It's about reading their cues and plopping them on a potty.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My oldest was basically potty trained at daycare. She saw all the other kids going to the potty and she wanted to do it to... for months she would be fine at daycare, but wet her pullup or panties at home. We just started constantly asking her if she needed to potty and a few weeks later we were good. She was a little past 3 when she was 99.5% potty trained. (She had this bad habit for a little while of not wanting to stop what she was doing, or waiting too long and having an accident). My son though is about 2.5yrs and has ZERO interest in the potty other than flushing it for other people. We ask him all the time if he wants to sit when he poops and the answer is always no. We need to start working with him soon on it, but I'm not at the point where I'm worried about it tbh.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

LordingBarry posted:

Our 2.5 yr old son poops pretty regularly right after dinner. He goes into his playroom and then calls out "Bye mommy! Bye daddy!" and then you can hear him straining.

He was curious about the toilet when we first started trying, around 26 months, but then he figured out that it was important to us that he use it, so he decided that he'll get to it on his own time.

I am told that the "reward" system (i.e. something revolting like giving him an M & M every time he sits on the potty) doesn't work well, but maybe others have had good results? Undoubtedly stories about this are buried deep within a megathread that I am only just getting to know.

Anyway, we're trying the relaxed approach, and telling ourselves that "he's very smart" and will do it when he's ready. We are eager not to create a kid who ends up having bathroom shame issues...Of course we're also eager not to create a kid who's still getting his diaper changed at 8....

Giving a small treat like a gummy or an M&M helped. Our boy would basically say he has to go potty then talk about an M&M for 5 minutes, it was very very much on his mind that he got a treat when he pottied. We could also bring it up to encourage him to try and it was pretty effective. It tapered off itself after a while, his primary motivation shifted to "i hate this diaper" and he slowly stopped asking for the treat, and we stopped reminding him/mentioning it.

hepscat posted:

There is something called Elimination Communication that people do with young babies. I didn't do it, but have heard of people doing it successfully. Mostly it seems like a lot of work because obviously this is not an infant making their way over to a toilet by themselves. It's about reading their cues and plopping them on a potty.

This is what we did. It is more up front work, but most people I know kids aren't potty trained until 3 or 4. Our son was potty trained full time except for bed/nap by 2 (he wore a pull while sleeping) and he stopped wearing a pull up soon after because he didn't want to. His last accident was months ago and he is 34 months. We're doing it with our 2nd kid, because I don't want to change diapers for the next 2-3 years. Hopefully we'll have the same amount of success and be done with diapers in another 12-18 months forever. Right now our baby just turn 1, and we just sit him on the potty several times a day like after breakfast, when we get home from work/daycare, after dinner, before bed. We try to anticipate times he likely to go (after breakfast etc.) and if we get him to use the potty successfully we praise him.

We just put the baby potty in the living room/his bedroom, and sit with him playing with books, toys etc. to occupy him. It honestly isn't a ton of extra work, because your already spending that time with him, we combine his play with the potty and make sure to express and praise when he goes. We probably get 1/3 of his BM's at home in the potty at this point.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 10, 2014

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I tried bribing my son with chocolate chips, one if he sat on the potty and a few if he actually did anything. It backfired because he was basically making a token effort to sit on the potty and not do anything any time he wanted a chocolate chip.

Sometimes he comes bombing out of his room in the morning babbling about going poop on the potty and when he sits on it, produces a couple farts. So he knows what's up, he's just not ready yet.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah my kid did that too when we did rewards. Oh I get a skittle for peeing in the potty? Watch me produce a tablespoon of pea multiple times a day! Fantastic.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
We offered stickers which worked for a while but he gradually lost interest in them. Connor had a problem with pooing in the potty or toilet - he was dry for ages but just wouldn't poo anywhere except his pants but would still say he needed a poo so he could get out of going to bed or whatever it was he was trying to avoid then mess around in the bathroom for ages. One time he was doing that and my husband offered him money if he would do a poo in the toilet and he just sat down and squeezed out a massive poo. Apparently cold hard cash was the answer.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
All kids motivations are different. My SIL was exasperated with our 3 year old niece. One day she just asked her "when are you going to use the potty!" She replied this weekend and that was it.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I tried everything I could with my oldest. I remember having a sticker chart, giving rewards, potty party, the whole shebang. Eventually it got to the point where she had the pee thing down but she fought me forever on pooping. She would literally go and hide under the table when she felt a BM coming on. I'd ask her if she wanted to sit on the potty and she'd be all "no I don't have to go" as she's grunting red-faced. She was nearly 4 before she stopped butting heads with me over the potty.

I think the potty gods decided to give me a break with my youngest. She always wanted to do everything her big sister did, so I wasn't too surprised when one day just after her 2nd birthday she came up to me and said "I go potty now" and lo and behold, she went. I praised her and then tried to put her diaper back on, and she threw a fit. "NO DIAPER. I POTTY NOW." Ok, I thought, let's see where this goes. I had some pullups leftover from the oldest which I put on her instead (apparently these didn't count as diapers in her mind) and from that point forward she just went on the potty. :shrug: Like I said, the potty gods smiled on me with that one.

But long story short, all you can do is introduce the concept and keep trying to reinforce it over and over (and over and over), but the kids will potty train when they're ready for it. And when they're ready for it, they usually tell you in my experience.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Marchegiana posted:

But long story short, all you can do is introduce the concept and keep trying to reinforce it over and over (and over and over), but the kids will potty train when they're ready for it. And when they're ready for it, they usually tell you in my experience.

This is pretty much what my son's preschool teacher told us. We haven't introduced much beyond sitting on the potty once in a while (he's 29 months), but she said he'll bring it up when he's ready. She also said the only non-potty-trained kids in the four year old classes are the ones whose parents pushed it on them at 18 months old when they weren't ready.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Jasper's starting to show signs he might be ready soonish. I'd consider gently starting now, but we're going on a 2 week trip in a few weeks so I figure we might as well wait until after that. He'll be about 21 months then. He's started going to the changing table after he's pooped and stops what he's doing grabbing his crotch when he goes to the bathroom. He does like flushing his poop down the toilet and waving and saying "buh-bye" to it. We're not going to push him, but we're going to start putting him on his potty throughout the day and see what happens. He poops pretty consistently so hopefully it'll be easy to catch him.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Thanks for this info! Are the cloth training pants similar to cloth diapers or closer to underwear? We're currently using cloth (part of the motivation was that supposedly it's easier to potty-train out of those since they're closer to underwear than disposables but I'm skeptical of that) but will definitely keep this stuff in mind when it comes time.

The Best Bottoms training pants are basically a snap-in diaper system that doesn't open at the sides so they have to be pulled on and off like underwear. They have a different "feel wet" snap-in insert than their regular inserts. I'd say they're more like underwear than a diaper. (We cloth diapered for a couple of years, but we did prefolds and covers not an all-in-one or snap-in system). I also picked up a couple of pairs of EcoPosh trainers that are very underwear-like (sort of feel like...thick fleece briefs), but ultimately less useful than the Best Bottoms because one accident and they need to be washed, whereas the BB ones you just snap in a different insert and you're good.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Yellow Jesus posted:

:aaaaa: Kiddo is sleeping now with the windows covered by two sets of curtains and a god drat blanket, but I'm so trying this tomorrow.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
I'm finding that most of my issues with child rearing at cropping up because of other children, or other children's parents. I recently got a lesson in just playing it safe and not making assumptions.

The other day my kids (a 5 yo boy and a 3 yo girl) had a short party at our place, pizza and video games with some of the neighborhood kids for a few hours. There was a wide age range amongst them, other 3 yos up to maybe 10, due to my wife being our neighborhood's unoffical playground mom to the lot of them.

So the kids were playing some dance game on our Wii, and both my son and my daughter like to dance to my wife and my own favorite music at home. I'm not saying he dances well or something, but he and his sister both really like just getting down to whatever we happen to put on. I noticed that the older kids, in particular a pair of older brothers, were queuing music on Youtube to listen to asides from the songs on the dancing game.

I sat and watched them watch this entire video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGKrc3A6HHM

The kids are Peruvian American, and were translating the lyrics to the non-Spanish speaking kids as it went on. The video struck me as pretty bitches and bling for something a kid would watch, so, assuming they were allowed to watch mildly saucy stuff, I thought I would queue our kids favorite song to dance to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eau1qHxI-8w

If you bother to watch it, it has a lot of very clothed, but very active twerking in it (the gimmick of the video is a dance instructor showing moderately lame people how to get down to that kind of music). There's no grinding, close up shots of a woman's breasts, menacing with baseball bats, or riot police, in any case. Asides, I don't encourage my kids to actually imitate that style of dancing, but it is their favorite, presumably because the music itself is really active and repetitive.

As it was playing I was encouraging my daughter to dance with me, just regular spastic little kid dancing, and I looked over at the kids and the Peruvian boys were both like :stonklol:. I said "What's wrong?" and they said they weren't allowed to watch twerking songs. I asked if they wanted me to turn it off, and they said yes, so I changed it to something else.

So now I have no idea what they told their mom about the pizza party. I just hope the first things out of their mouths wasn't "R and T's dad showed us some booty music" and they were instantly banned from ever interacting with my kids again :doh:

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

I'm finding that most of my issues with child rearing at cropping up because of other children, or other children's parents. I recently got a lesson in just playing it safe and not making assumptions.

Oops! I'd say just let it ride until/unless their parents say anything. You turned it off because they told you to; it's not like you made them watch it. And don't worry too much, weird and uncomfortable stuff happens a lot as a parent. Just this week my daughter got into an argument with another little girl about whether Jesus is real or pretend. Distract and redirect!

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Two things, if I may.

What's a cool but inexpensive gift for a 3 year old? Money's tight at the mo and we have a birthday party for a 3 yr old coming up and I'd like to get her something neat/different.

I'm all about "kids develop at their own pace" and I try not to worry too much about milestones but my almost 20 month old isn't talking yet. She babbles and communicates by pointing, shaking her head, making sounds but no words. She says no, mama, dada and makes a kitty, dog, and car sound. But that's it. She understands a lot when I talk to her and can follow simple commands but will.not.talk. Should I be calling early intervention or give it a few more months? Is there anything else I can do (besides talking and reading to her) to help build her language? Or just let it happen in it's own time?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

frenchnewwave posted:

Two things, if I may.

What's a cool but inexpensive gift for a 3 year old? Money's tight at the mo and we have a birthday party for a 3 yr old coming up and I'd like to get her something neat/different.

I'm all about "kids develop at their own pace" and I try not to worry too much about milestones but my almost 20 month old isn't talking yet. She babbles and communicates by pointing, shaking her head, making sounds but no words. She says no, mama, dada and makes a kitty, dog, and car sound. But that's it. She understands a lot when I talk to her and can follow simple commands but will.not.talk. Should I be calling early intervention or give it a few more months? Is there anything else I can do (besides talking and reading to her) to help build her language? Or just let it happen in it's own time?

My wife and I were just talking about this exact scenario. I would definitely start speech therapy, not necessarily because there's something definitely wrong or anything like that, but just because it's actually fun for the kids and if there does turn out to be something wrong then the early start will make a huge difference. She's a school psychologist so she works with kids as young as preschool who have learning disabilities.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

frenchnewwave posted:

My wife got our daughter a prism. If the home gets good light, then you have rainbows in your living room (this does work better in the winter with the angled light, though morning light works great, too). It's science-y but also fun.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

frenchnewwave posted:

This is very ymmv, but my daughter was exactly the same until she turned two. She understood a lot, but she did not feel the need to speak at all. However, at 2, it was like suddenly a switch had been flicked and she figured out that she could get exactly what she wanted if she just used these word things. So we were soon bombarded with "hug, up, down, milk, help, etc". She's picked up SO many words in such a small period of time and is now learning to combine them together. I also got her one of those "first x words for kids" app. I forgot the name, but it had a cute little boy and a girl in English accents which she absolutely loved and kept playing and trying to imitate 24/7. I wouldn't freak out just yet and keep repeating simple words and rewarding her when she uses them. Good luck!

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

frenchnewwave posted:

Two things, if I may.

1) there's great stuff at the dollar store for that age: sidewalk chalk, bubbles, crayons & paper. Just think general art or fun stuff instead of licensed character toys.

2) IMO you should be giving early intervention a call. It cannot hurt and in general kids that age are starting to put together little sentences. Also, speech therapists are pretty magic. A lot of times they just catch a kid up to their age level and it doesn't mean there are Larger Issues. If it turned out there were larger issues, you're ahead of the game by getting her into speech therapy so young.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

frenchnewwave posted:

Two things, if I may.

Is there something that the kid really likes? Alexandra loves cars, so if you brought her a cheap car toy she would probably be super stoked.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Volmarias posted:

Is there something that the kid really likes? Alexandra loves cars, so if you brought her a cheap car toy she would probably be super stoked.

I'm told that whenever my extended family went through the gyrations of trying to buy me and my sister the most expensive gift, my father consistently pointed out to them that I would be just as happy with a Hot Wheels car, and they could take the money they would have spent and put it into my college fund, which would serve me far better down the road than an expensive toy I never played with.

Kids don't know the relative value of gifts, and don't really care. My daughter just this afternoon had more fun with a paper airplane I made her than with the mountains of fancy electronic toys she has. Parents are the ones who get butthurt if you don't "spend right", and really, that's their fault for caring so much.

It makes me think of something. You could do something clever and interesting like give her a "paper airplane kit": literally a ream of paper along with maybe a cheap hoop to serve as a target. With the right presentation, even mundane household items can turn into fun and interesting gifts.

An old masonry jar, filled with some dirt and sticks can become a bug jar, or maybe a plant jar or something. That might be a little above a three-year-old, but it's something to keep in mind down the road.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I was just cleaning out the supply cabinet at work, and the boss took home a couple reams of paper that didn't work in our printer (wrong finish or something). The next day he told me about how his 3-ish daughter was going ON AND ON about the "special work paper daddy brought me for my crayons!"

:3: So, yeah.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
So, my daughter is starting kindergarten in a month (:cry:) (To be honest, I'm not remotely worried. She loves everything and everyone and has no fear of strangers, neither adults nor other children. Sometimes she'll actually pretend to be shy for a minute or so while giggling and making puppy eyes because it makes people go "awwww!", and she's a total ham.)

Anyway, in the information letter we received, it said that the children would be sleeping inside for their nap. The problem here is that she's taken exactly one nap inside during her entire first year of life. She's firmly an outdoor sleeper. Can I just say screw it, it's their problem, and let them teach her once she starts? I've been led to understand that children very quicly learn that there are different rules in kindergarten, they watch all the other children do something, and do it themselves without much fuss, while it would be an insane battle for me to start trying to make her sleep inside now. Even if I did manage it, there's a big difference between napping at home alone in your crib, and napping in a big room with a bunch of other children, so I can't really see that it'd be much help anyway.

(Also, just because I want to tell someone, she has discovered whistling all by herself, and is obsessed with shoes. I cooked dinner today wearing fancy high heeled shoes because she went and got them from the hall, dropped them in front of me and pointed and shouted untill I put them on, and then she wandered around whistling to herself while wearing her wellies and clutching a pair of my husbands sandals. She just turned one a week ago, and already I've had more fun watching her just be weird than I've had for the entire last year. Babies suck, toddlers are awesome! (so far...) )

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Sockmuppet posted:

Only inside naps

What? I don't even... do you live in an area where the weather is perfect all year round? Or does she just not nap when the weather outside is unsuitable for it? Also where do you live that kids start kindergarten at 1 year old? I guess the definition of kindergarten is much different in some places...

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Sockmuppet posted:

Anyway, in the information letter we received, it said that the children would be sleeping inside for their nap. The problem here is that she's taken exactly one nap inside during her entire first year of life. She's firmly an outdoor sleeper. Can I just say screw it, it's their problem, and let them teach her once she starts? I've been led to understand that children very quicly learn that there are different rules in kindergarten, they watch all the other children do something, and do it themselves without much fuss, while it would be an insane battle for me to start trying to make her sleep inside now. Even if I did manage it, there's a big difference between napping at home alone in your crib, and napping in a big room with a bunch of other children, so I can't really see that it'd be much help anyway.

I would mention it to the staff just so they're forewarned it might be an issue and then leave them to it. They'll be used to dealing with kids that have different routines and if it's a huge problem there's probably some procedures in place where the parents and kindergarten staff work together.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

flowinprose posted:

What? I don't even... do you live in an area where the weather is perfect all year round? Or does she just not nap when the weather outside is unsuitable for it? Also where do you live that kids start kindergarten at 1 year old? I guess the definition of kindergarten is much different in some places...

Somewhere in the Nordic world, right? Somewhere people park their strollers outside a coffee shop while the kids nap and they can socialize with other parents. That's what the internet has taught me. Pretty cool and one of those things that really show how different culture norms are. In the US someone would call the cops on you for parking your infant outside while you went inside. It's just not done.

sockmuppet, my guess is they have dealt with that many times and will handle it just fine. Kids definitely learn to compartmentalize their behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
If I lived in a city I wouldn't feel secure leaving my kids in the stroller outside if I went to a coffee shop or something like that. Leaving kids to sleep in their strollers in winter is a done thing though (in Finland). We've actually never done it to our twins (really they sleep in their beds just fine though they hate covers, and we don't have one of those walkie talkie things so we can hear when they wake) but I slept outside in winter as an infant myself.

Another edit-addon: my mom mentioned this btw recently and said that while we let kids sleep outside, we bundle them up quite well, even when we're not prepping them to sleep out, when she was in england she got the impression that people hardly clothed their kids, and she thought most of them looked like they where cold. Needed some layering she said.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 13, 2014