Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The_Rob posted:

So did Kevin Smith sit there, watch the movie, and just go yeah. This was a good use of 69,000 dollars. I can not even fathom someone putting this out with any sort of pride. I mean I know Smiths standards are low, but come the gently caress on man.

I think Kevin Smith sat there, watched the first five minutes, laughed, rolled a joint, and said 'yea gently caress it man they'll buy it' and walked off to go jerk off in batman underwear and record a podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Hey at least the even the trailer outright calls it "The Worst Thing To Ever Happen to Comic Book Movies."

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I still do not know why the style for Clerks TAS was not used.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Something this horrible had to exist to balance out how good the Clerks Animated Series was.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

The_Rob posted:

So did Kevin Smith sit there, watch the movie, and just go yeah. This was a good use of 69,000 dollars. I can not even fathom someone putting this out with any sort of pride. I mean I know Smiths standards are low, but come the gently caress on man.

He could easily rebrand this as a nostalgic throwback to late-'90s Newgrounds.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A kind of decent thing he did was get Jay off heroin by promising to keep doing Jay and Silent Bob things. Is that terrible cartoon worth a human life?

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

PassTheRemote posted:

The thing is that Clerks TAS was made by professional animators doing a professional job. This thing is made by (I believe) one guy who has been making cartoons based off of Smodcast for years. His animation style is horrible, I can't even stand to watch any of it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jack Gladney posted:

A kind of decent thing he did was get Jay off heroin by promising to keep doing Jay and Silent Bob things. Is that terrible cartoon worth a human life?

This is pretty much the main reason I can't dislike Smith that much. He's a big goony dick but as a former junkie I gotta respect the dude for basing a chunk of his career out of 'if I keep making this poo poo will you stay clean'? Like, for all his flaws he's a genuinely good guy to Jason and that's worth a lot.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think part of growing up is realizing that a lot of the people you don't like for nerdy reasons can still be great people. Smith has done nothing to give off the impression that he is anything less than a great friend. Just like George Lucas is a wonderfully kickass person who will open cool museums, pour money into education, and sell property to be used as public housing just to piss of fellow rich people.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Kevin Smith Is Not A Bad Person.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I think Kevin Smith is interesting because most of the dislike of him seems to be rooted in, more than anything else, disappointment.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Hat Thoughts posted:

I think Kevin Smith is interesting because most of the dislike of him seems to be rooted in, more than anything else, disappointment.
Disgust seems more accurate.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Hat Thoughts posted:

This sums up my feelings about him perfectly. Despite it's shortcomings I still really like Clerks and wish he had grown as a director. In the credits he thanks people like Linklater and Jarmusch for breaking new ground for what you can do in a movie, and their influence is quite clear in Clerks. But both of them went on to do new and interesting things, they evolved as artists and are making some of their best work now. Smith had that potential, but he never used it. It's a shame really.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

For the record, both of these men are in their 40s.

The intro reminded me of this for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJwZIDaILrg

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

Just like George Lucas is a wonderfully kickass person who will open cool museums, pour money into education, and sell property to be used as public housing just to piss of fellow rich people

I loved reading about that. Lucas owns.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

PassTheRemote posted:

zandert33 posted:

The thing is that Clerks TAS was made by professional animators doing a professional job. This thing is made by (I believe) one guy who has been making cartoons based off of Smodcast for years. His animation style is horrible, I can't even stand to watch any of it.

The Clerks TAS style was sort of something that seemed like it could have been easy enough to duplicate and do via Flash and was sort of unique enough that it generated some merchandise and fan art based on that style. It seems like it could have been easy enough to pull out some old animation cels and model sheets from TAS and used that as a starting point for Groovy Cartoon Movie's design.

However, it might also be an issue that Smith might still think the Clerks TAS property, style included, has enough value to keep it secure and not use it for too much outside of his official Clerk TAS stuff.

There was this short from the unfilmed funeral scene in Clerks that was done sometime well after Clerks TAS was done (Around 2004 or so, I think.) I have no idea what it cost, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7QMbNdlDL8

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 11, 2014

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Okay so now that we've thoroughly explored Kevin Smith being terrible what's the most cringe-worthy moment in his filmography? I say the extended dance sequence in Clerks 2 but with an honorable mention going to the entire runtime of Cop Out.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Yaws posted:

I loved reading about that. Lucas owns.

It didn't actually happen.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think part of growing up is realizing that a lot of the people you don't like for nerdy reasons can still be great people. Smith has done nothing to give off the impression that he is anything less than a great friend.

Just make sure to do his podcast or he'll kick you off a TV pilot.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Nipplebox posted:

and assume they're selling drugs on the side to pay for a decent standard of living.

In reality they wouldn't be this motivated. What they are more likely doing is mooching off of an enabling relative who basically said "get a job or get the hell out" and so they work that poo poo job just to keep the roof over their head, and the enabling relative is too much of a pushover to demand more than that.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Nipplebox posted:

Just make sure to do his podcast or he'll kick you off a TV pilot.

What's the story behind this?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

In the credits he thanks people like Linklater and Jarmusch for breaking new ground for what you can do in a movie, and their influence is quite clear in Clerks. But both of them went on to do new and interesting things, they evolved as artists and are making some of their best work now. Smith had that potential, but he never used it.

I wonder if Smith was influenced by Only Lovers Left Alive and the Before trilogy when he was making his podcast movie about the guy in the walrus suit.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

zandert33 posted:

What's the story behind this?

Adam Carolla called Kevin Smith a "douchebag" because Kevin booted him off a show they were going to do together. Kevin and his wife (for some reason) responded on Smodcast, poo poo-talking Adam for being a non-communicative prima donna, so Adam told the story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydP8SZuc-jo

Toady fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 12, 2014

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SilentChaz posted:

Kevin Smith says the Weinsteins passed on Clerks 3.

Can't say I blame them. Why is Kevin still making movies anyway? I thought podcasting was totally the future, man.
He wanted them to pass on it, because he doesn't want to be in business with them anymore after he had to audit Clerks 2 to get paid, and they had first right of refusal on a sequel. He asked them to pass on it, and they did, so this is good news for him, really.

The_Rob posted:

But he only got it because the loser seemingly homeless drug dealers had magic money.
There's a scene right after that where they go to the bank and get a loan, though, isn't there? Like, Jay and Bob's money wasn't what they actually bought the store with.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Yeah, he meant for it to happen, it's definitely good news and not bad news

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

LividLiquid posted:

He wanted them to pass on it, because he doesn't want to be in business with them anymore after he had to audit Clerks 2 to get paid, and they had first right of refusal on a sequel. He asked them to pass on it, and they did, so this is good news for him, really.

There's a scene right after that where they go to the bank and get a loan, though, isn't there? Like, Jay and Bob's money wasn't what they actually bought the store with.

There is. It's just one of those things in a a short sequence that the movie ends on. A sequence that basically says "and then they got a loan and bought the old business and everything worked out. The end."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Isn't that just confusing, then? Why have both them offering them the money (and them not refusing it) and also them getting a loan?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

It's because as we've seen from the last few posts, Kevin Smith is a CONSUMMATE PROFESSIONAL BUSINESSMAN

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Bown posted:

Isn't that just confusing, then? Why have both them offering them the money (and them not refusing it) and also them getting a loan?

The only thing I can think of is that they used Jay and Bob's money as either collateral or (and I do not know much about business, FWIW)as a sort of down payment for a business mortgage.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Getting a loan is shorthand for being a mature adult.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Nipplebox posted:

Yeah, he meant for it to happen, it's definitely good news and not bad news

They have right of first refusal but also after it's done they get another crack at it with some other right. I think it's a right of first refusal on distribution. He explained it in a podcast, but I don't quite remember. Either way if he really ends up making some cinematic masterpiece, they get the first pick if they want to distribute it. This means that they still get a chance at some of that sweet profit (lol) without taking on any of the risk.

Also, I ran onstage and hugged Kevin Smith during his NYC Comic Con Comic Book Men panel last year. He smelled like weed and sort of grabbed my bum. :shrug: my claim to fame, I guess?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

The Tusk trailer is worse than I thought it would be.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

It feels like a comedy they tried to edit into a horror movie in post. "I don't wanna die in Canada" etc.

I still haven't bothered to see Red State. Weren't both that and this one shot on REDs?

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
Prolly. Everything this scale gets shot on a RED or an Alexa usually.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Hbomberguy posted:

I still haven't bothered to see Red State. Weren't both that and this one shot on REDs?

Red State was. The new one probably was.

The type of camera used to shoot a movie is maybe the least compelling reason that I can think of. Especially since used of the Red family is so common.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I was just asking out of interest.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nipplebox posted:

Adam Carolla called Kevin Smith a "douchebag" because Kevin booted him off a show they were going to do together. Kevin and his wife (for some reason) responded on Smodcast, poo poo-talking Adam for being a non-communicative prima donna, so Adam told the story

This really does make Kevin Smith sound like someone I would never want to do business with.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He really does sound crazy, like paranoid or with a persecution complex or something. I wonder if any of it is sensitivity over being fat: I just did a GIS for him, and every photo of him has him mugging for the camera in some kind of exaggerated way to tighten the skin on his face. There's not a single image of him smiling anywhere, or of him wearing anything other than huge, billowy clothes. He's never sitting down, either.

I hope this speculation doesn't cross the line into cruelty.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Talking about how morbidly obese Kevin Smith is really doesn't fall into speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, but fat people smile and don't try to make their faces look thin by contorting them for every camera.

• Locked thread