Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yes, automatic blood use. It also does passive healing during this time, pushing out any tattoo ink, piercings, regrowing hair, etc. With additional blood use it heals some aggravated damage or any lesser damage.

If you slip into torpor, the amount of time you "sleep" is directly related to your humanity/path rating. High rating: days. Low rating: centuries. Of course there's ST fiat as to what (if anything) could wake up a vampire early--potent blood, rituals, being given a precious locket after receiving a rose and your favorite music box...all these things may or may not work. The latter one only really has a chance if you're playing Police Quest 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

OAquinas posted:

Yes, automatic blood use. It also does passive healing during this time, pushing out any tattoo ink, piercings, regrowing hair, etc. With additional blood use it heals some aggravated damage or any lesser damage.

If you slip into torpor, the amount of time you "sleep" is directly related to your humanity/path rating. High rating: days. Low rating: centuries. Of course there's ST fiat as to what (if anything) could wake up a vampire early--potent blood, rituals, being given a precious locket after receiving a rose and your favorite music box...all these things may or may not work. The latter one only really has a chance if you're playing Police Quest 3.

So, what theories are there about things that could wake up a vampire from torpor besides the things you mentioned? Because I'm curious as gently caress.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

JackNapier posted:

So, what theories are there about things that could wake up a vampire from torpor besides the things you mentioned? Because I'm curious as gently caress.

Potent blood, lots of their descendants being killed, one of their predecessors waking up... things with Caine's blood running through them are pretty connected no matter how much they might try to deny it.

Also just coincidence, torpor itself is a plot device to keep Antediluvians and methuselahs out of games so the end of it is one too :v:

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Shugojin posted:

Potent blood, lots of their descendants being killed, one of their predecessors waking up... things with Caine's blood running through them are pretty connected no matter how much they might try to deny it.

Also just coincidence, torpor itself is a plot device to keep Antediluvians and methuselahs out of games so the end of it is one too :v:

So, that leads me to another question, just what all can Caine do, or is that a really stupid question that can literally be answered with a sarcastic "What can't he do?"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

JackNapier posted:

So, that leads me to another question, just what all can Caine do, or is that a really stupid question that can literally be answered with a sarcastic "What can't he do?"

Well, anything any vampire can do, he can do better. Antediluvians included. He can probably invent new blood powers. He can (and did) lay down permanent curses on vampires and all of their descendants.

Also, the biblical things that God placed on him? In place. Most notably, any wound you inflict on Caine is returned to you sevenfold. One of the Gehenna scenarios has him being hunted by Lilith and several Antediluvians, one of whom does NOT want to be a vampire anymore and has volunteered to land the final blow (if they get that far).

It's the sevenfold returns thing that makes him one of the hardest things to beat in the entire World of Darkness. Oh, you set a New Mexico sized area on fire around him? You're seven times more burned than he is. Sucks to be you!

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Shugojin posted:

Well, anything any vampire can do, he can do better. Antediluvians included. He can probably invent new blood powers. He can (and did) lay down permanent curses on vampires and all of their descendants.

Also, the biblical things that God placed on him? In place. Most notably, any wound you inflict on Caine is returned to you sevenfold. One of the Gehenna scenarios has him being hunted by Lilith and several Antediluvians, one of whom does NOT want to be a vampire anymore and has volunteered to land the final blow (if they get that far).

W-Wow, so, the basic sentiment for Caine is "Don't even try?"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I know I said it in here before but there are official Fighting Caine rules. They are "you lose". Exactly how badly you lose is up to the storyteller.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

JackNapier posted:

W-Wow, so, the basic sentiment for Caine is "Don't even try?"

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.
My favourite Gehenna scenario is still and will always be Tzimisze Eats Everything. :3:

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Shugojin posted:

I know I said it in here before but there are official Fighting Caine rules. They are "you lose". Exactly how badly you lose is up to the storyteller.

It seems like the name of the game in the Vampire world is to keep your head down and hope to gently caress the sharks around you don't notice you exist?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

JackNapier posted:

It seems like the name of the game in the Vampire world is to keep your head down and hope to gently caress the sharks around you don't notice you exist?

Replace "Vampire world" with "World of Darkness" and you got it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

JackNapier posted:

Steps to survival in World of Darkness:

Step 1: Be immortal. Very important!
Step 2: Stay the gently caress away from people who are older than you.
Step 3: Stay alive until you get older.
Step 4: Take advantage of people who are younger than you.
Step 5: Profit!!

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

"Weakness: Horrible Parenting Skills"

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Shugojin posted:

Jesus, you know, I'm actually, I'm speechless, you guys are awesome, making a really lovely week great today, um, let me think of something else to ask really quick.
Edit: gently caress it! Somebody tell me about Mages! I wanna see how deep the rabbit hole goes

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Shugojin posted:

Not entirely true! I was in a Werewolf game where we healed the broken world through the power of song.

OK, so maybe it depends on your group a little bit.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
If anyone would elaborate further on Lucifer or provide a link that speaks of him in this setting i'd be grateful. It's funny, actually, in a setting so hosed up and grim the ONE GUY with humanity's best interests at heart is literally Satan.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Vagon posted:

If anyone would elaborate further on Lucifer or provide a link that speaks of him in this setting i'd be grateful. It's funny, actually, in a setting so hosed up and grim the ONE GUY with humanity's best interests at heart is literally Satan.

I agree completely,it's funny how the whole world is poo poo and Satan of all people is like "How the gently caress do I hold this all together?"

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

JackNapier posted:

Edit: gently caress it! Somebody tell me about Mages! I wanna see how deep the rabbit hole goes

Ok. This is going to be the first skim of the rabbit hole for Ascension. I'm sure someone will be along to fill in gaps and correct me in a minute.

1) Did you ever read the Sandman story, A Dream of A Thousand Cats? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sandman:_Dream_Country#A_Dream_of_a_Thousand_Cats

That's literally how the world works. Physical laws? They only work because people believe in them. If people stop believing, something else would take their place. Maybe ether.

2) Magicians can ignore physical laws, and do just about anything they can imagine. At least, if they can convince the Storyteller it's within a mechanical description around the primal divisions of reality (Life, Forces, Entropy, Correspondence, etc.) that the mage focuses on.

3) In the Middle Ages, there were a bunch of different groups of magicians, that all had differing approaches to how magic worked. They all fought constantly to impose their paradigm on the world.

4) The Technocracy won. And so we have physical laws. And the Technocracy ruling the world.

5) Every time a magician works any magic that might shake the Technocratic paradigm, the Technocracy hunts them down and subverts or kills them.

6) The universe really doesn't like it when magicians work magic that is clearly magic ("vulgar"), rather than a coincidence. If magicians do that, they trigger Paradox. This is usually bad, and can in rare instances result in the magicians exploding or being dragged off into the spirit world.

7) In addition to the Technocracy, there are also crazed demon-worshipping mages (Nephandi) and crazed insane mages who seem immune to Paradox and just toss off vulgar magic with reckless abandon (Marauders).

EDIT: The above is all true in the context of Mage: the Ascension. In the context of Vampire: the Masquerade, nobody really knows, except that magic began to die out in the Middle Ages and the only way to become immortal anybody knows about now is to become a vampire. See also Clan Tremere. Most mages a vampire is liable to encounter are more like low-grade psychics, or bad Thamaturgists.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

You can't talk about Paradox without bringing the Sons of Ether into it. The Sons of Ether have ridiculous magic that is based on the phenomenon that if you make it seem like a thing that looks complicated enough did it, people will believe that it obeys the laws and you won't get hit with Paradox no matter what you actually did with it or whether the lights and arcs and wires had anything to do with what happened.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Shugojin posted:

You can't talk about Paradox without bringing the Sons of Ether into it. The Sons of Ether have ridiculous magic that is based on the phenomenon that if you make it seem like a thing that looks complicated enough did it, people will believe that it obeys the laws and you won't get hit with Paradox no matter what you actually did with it or whether the lights and arcs and wires had anything to do with what happened.
Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from science?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

More like sufficiently flashy nonsense is indistinguishable from science.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
So basically magic works like Ork anything in Warhammer 40k? I believe it works hard enough so it works? or did I completely misunderstand

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

JT Jag posted:

Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from science?

That's Science! to you, buddy!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

JackNapier posted:

So basically magic works like Ork anything in Warhammer 40k? I believe it works hard enough so it works? or did I completely misunderstand

No, magic works because everyone has an Avatar. Most people aren't aware of theirs and can't use magic, these are called "Sleepers". Mages are people who are aware of their Avatar.

You are pretty close though, except it works no matter what. The sticking point is that if everyone who sees it believes it works, then you don't get hosed by the Universe backlashing. So if, say, you have a bit of sealed piping and you toss it and magically make a fireball happen, people who saw it will assume you threw an improvised bomb and you'll be fine. If you just wave your hands and a fireball happens, people are going to go "WHAT THE gently caress THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE" and you will have some problems boy.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Shugojin posted:

No, magic works because everyone has an Avatar. Most people aren't aware of theirs and can't use magic, these are called "Sleepers". Mages are people who are aware of their Avatar.

You are pretty close though, except it works no matter what. The sticking point is that if everyone who sees it believes it works, then you don't get hosed by the Universe backlashing. So if, say, you have a bit of sealed piping and you toss it and magically make a fireball happen, people who saw it will assume you threw an improvised bomb and you'll be fine. If you just wave your hands and a fireball happens, people are going to go "WHAT THE gently caress THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE" and you will have some problems boy.

Wow, that's a hell of a concept, why does it backlash though? How does the universe know somebody used magic in a way that people go "That's not possible"

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
Does anyone know anything about some of the more famous Wraiths? Like the First Wraith Abel?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm not an expert on this but basically the power of collective belief results in a sort of self-policing set of rules. Paradox effects do have a range though, a small infraction on the paradigm (I'm having a hard time inventing an example of this) results in a smaller punishment from the Universe, but if you were to do something like magic a building out of nowhere in the middle of Manhattan at high noon you are definitely not going to live through what happens to you.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Dante Logos posted:

Does anyone know anything about some of the more famous Wraiths? Like the First Wraith Abel?

Wait, so if he's the first wraith, what is Seth up to? He lived to like 900.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 11, 2014

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Shugojin posted:

I'm not an expert on this but basically the power of collective belief results in a sort of self-policing set of rules. Paradox effects do have a range though, a small infraction on the paradigm (I'm having a hard time inventing an example of this) results in a smaller punishment from the Universe, but if you were to do something like magic a building out of nowhere in the middle of Manhattan at high noon you are definitely not going to live through what happens to you.

So, its basically collective belief that fuels the punishments on Paradoxes?
Edit : Excuse my typo, its been a long week

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah pretty much. I should point out that I'm pretty sure the collective belief is still related to the Avatars of all the Sleepers. They can't use them consciously but their belief does sort of get exerted by the Avatar.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

JackNapier posted:

Yes, and it's quite powerful. Extreme cases of fiddle-loving around with the Time Sphere, for instance, causes Father Time to show up and ask you if you maybe wish that you hadn't done all of that. Any answer besides, "Yeah, I'm an idiot. Can we fix it?" results in Father Time fixing it for you, generally by erasing you from the history of the world.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Shugojin posted:

Yeah pretty much. I should point out that I'm pretty sure the collective belief is still related to the Avatars of all the Sleepers. They can't use them consciously but their belief does sort of get exerted by the Avatar.

Alright, Shugo, know anything about Wraiths?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

JackNapier posted:

Basically belief is the bedrock of reality, and when enough people believe (or disbelieve) in the truth of something, the fabric of reality starts to believe that too. Everything is fine when events correspond with how reality thinks the world is supposed to work. But when something happens to contradict the "script" that reality is used to, things get weird.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

JT Jag posted:

Basically belief is the bedrock of reality, and when enough people believe (or disbelieve) in the truth of something, the fabric of reality starts to believe that too. Everything is fine when events correspond with how reality thinks the world is supposed to work. But when something happens to contradict the "script" that reality is used to, things get weird.

I like that Italicize, it usually means story time, any examples, oh great Gentleman Jaguar

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

JackNapier posted:

Alright, Shugo, know anything about Wraiths?

All I actually remember about Wraith is that it has a... thing... called Grandmother which wants to devour all of existence and is barely kept in check. It's called Grandmother because of puns evolving from The Grand Maw.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Shugojin posted:

All I actually remember about Wraith is that it has a... thing... called Grandmother which wants to devour all of existence and is barely kept in check. It's called Grandmother because of puns evolving from The Grand Maw.

alright, sounds good enough for me, um, I saw a mention of Baba Yaga once, anybody wanna tell me that story?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

JackNapier posted:

I like that Italicize, it usually means story time, any examples, oh great Gentleman Jaguar
So, ok, the traditional metaphor for collective belief is like this. Imagine reality as a giant river. It goes one way, unerring. Normal people just float with the current. Supernatural creatures, vampires and werewolves, are strong swimmers, but they are still confined by the river, and they can never swim upstream. Some lesser magicians may try to stick a hand in the river and alter its flow, but in the end it is still a river, always heading in one way.

A Mage sees this river and seeks to manipulate its waters in whatever way he wishes, perhaps even pushing them upstream or making entirely new rivers. But this river is meant to be a single river. It resists the Mage's attempts to change it. That's Paradox. Reality's will to retain its shape is the one thing that keeps Mages from taking over the world at will.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

JT Jag posted:

So, ok, the traditional metaphor for collective belief is like this. Imagine reality as a giant river. It goes one way, unerring. Normal people just float with the current. Supernatural creatures, vampires and werewolves, are strong swimmers, but they are still confined by the river, and they can never swim upstream. Some lesser magicians may try to stick a hand in the river and alter its flow, but in the end it is still a river, always heading in one way.

A Mage sees this river and seeks to manipulate its waters in whatever way he wishes, perhaps even pushing them upstream or making entirely new rivers. But this river is meant to be a single river. It resists the Mage's attempts to change it. That's Paradox. Reality's will to retain its shape is the one thing that keeps Mages from taking over the world at will.

That is...That's a really loving good example on how to explain a mechanic

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

bathroomrage posted:

Not entirely true! I was in a Werewolf game where we healed the broken world through the power of song.

I was about to make fun of this for its lack of ways that Bone Gnawers could take part in it, and then I remembered that Bone Gnawers have access to Hootenanny, aka "The Best Gift Ever".

It makes your opponents start to hoedown while you and your allies square-dance a bloody swath through them, playing Dueling Banjos the whole while. And it's taught to you by the spirit of Elvis.

And then I want "i want to play in a game with that happening".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

bathroomrage posted:

Yeah, if you get the right group and all agree to tone down the grimdark thirty notches Werewolf can be ultraviolent Captain Planet and the Planeteers :3:

• Locked thread