Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

The Kindle versions of Songs of a Dead Dreamer, Grimscribe, and Noctuary are on sale for $2.99 through the 7th.

This is a crazy good offer. Already had Songs so just got the rest, plus The Spectral Link.

On bizarro fiction, then I have only read Satan Burger. I quite liked it, even willing to go far enough to find it great. It was humorous, pulpy, wild and rough. It had lots of fun ideas, as well as some dreamlike/nonsensical ones. The concept of Earth being a destructive, hateful child and God giving it life to kill and torture like toys really stuck with me. Sometimes it reminded me of Alice in Wonderland, if the story was told from the perspective of a deranged citizen of Wonderland. Everything felt so surreal, like a dream. The ending was (I'm very vague, but spoiler-tagged anyway) especially memorable, bleak and filled with hopelessness, almost like something you would find in cosmic horror. It doesn't seem quite like the other entries mentioned, which sometimes look like ironic shitposting in fiction form. Recommend giving it a try if any of this interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Just finished the latest Laundry book. I think it's my least favorite of the series. Overall it was pretty :smith: and there was too much office politics and rehashing of concepts we already knew from having read the rest of the series. Felt like almost nothing happened until the last few chapters.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Bolverkur posted:

It doesn't seem quite like the other entries mentioned, which sometimes look like ironic shitposting in fiction form. Recommend giving it a try if any of this interests.
I already paid my tenbux for all the ironic shitposting I can handle. :colbert:

The Rat - For me, the Laundry series does a really good job of showing how annoying committees and civil service kinds of jobs are. I really like his description of all the frustrations of having to fill out endless forms to get anything done and keep track of every paperclip. I work in IT so a lot of his stuff sounds like "true tales from the front" that I've experienced myself.

On the other hand, I won't disagree too loudly that it was fairly limited on the action front till the final act but still I enjoyed it and look forward to the next.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I went to a reading with Jeff Vandermeer earlier tonight. He read a brief section from Acceptance: we're going to learn more about Lowry, and the book will be a mix of present-day and flashbacks.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

CuddleChunks posted:

I already paid my tenbux for all the ironic shitposting I can handle. :colbert:

The Rat - For me, the Laundry series does a really good job of showing how annoying committees and civil service kinds of jobs are. I really like his description of all the frustrations of having to fill out endless forms to get anything done and keep track of every paperclip. I work in IT so a lot of his stuff sounds like "true tales from the front" that I've experienced myself.

On the other hand, I won't disagree too loudly that it was fairly limited on the action front till the final act but still I enjoyed it and look forward to the next.

Stross was IIRC heavily involved in the first wave of consumer internet back in the late 80's and 90's- his IT knowledge is firsthand.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I just got my copy of The Children of Old Leech in the mail, along with accompanying chapbook :drool:. I'm excited to dig into it, because while I agree with all of the criticisms of Barron's writings being the product of a hairy-chested Xerox machine, I love his stuff and I'm excited to see what other people do with it.

On another note, I know this is probably two years too late to matter, but I'm thinking about combing through the thread and turning the OP into a first-stop recommendation spot for some of the more... "accessible" weird fiction writers. So in everybody's opinion, what's the best stuff to highlight for newcomers? I'd like to point to a sample of various people's stuff if it's online, too, so if you know where it can be found, that would help. Lovecraft's easy, and I know Nethescurial is somewhere out in the internet, but I haven't done any digging for anybody else.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Appropriately for the conversation, Stross should definitely be up there, even if weird fiction in the cosmic horror sense is only one part of his oeuvre. His Laundry shorts and Colder War are available online to boot, though I don't know if I'd recommend people read the Laundry shorts before at least The Atrocity Archives--Colder War ought to be enough to tell someone if they'd enjoy Stross's brand of Lovecraftian thriller, though.

Also, someone on his blog pointed this out and I love it-- in the Laundry universe, there actually is a very good and real reason to keep track of every paperclip. :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Appropriately for the conversation, Stross should definitely be up there, even if weird fiction in the cosmic horror sense is only one part of his oeuvre. His Laundry shorts and Colder War are available online to boot, though I don't know if I'd recommend people read the Laundry shorts before at least The Atrocity Archives--Colder War ought to be enough to tell someone if they'd enjoy Stross's brand of Lovecraftian thriller, though.

Also, someone on his blog pointed this out and I love it-- in the Laundry universe, there actually is a very good and real reason to keep track of every paperclip. :v:

It should be noted that Colder War is probably his truest piece of cosmic horror, though - while the Laundry novels can get pretty bleak, they're more Lovecraft-lite horror-comedies. Just so's people know what they're getting.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

JerryLee posted:

I loved Colder War but disliked the Laundry series, at least based on the first book. I found the nerd humour extremely obnoxious and unfunny.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

MockingQuantum posted:

On another note, I know this is probably two years too late to matter, but I'm thinking about combing through the thread and turning the OP into a first-stop recommendation spot for some of the more... "accessible" weird fiction writers. So in everybody's opinion, what's the best stuff to highlight for newcomers? I'd like to point to a sample of various people's stuff if it's online, too, so if you know where it can be found, that would help. Lovecraft's easy, and I know Nethescurial is somewhere out in the internet, but I haven't done any digging for anybody else.

Evenson's Windeye is IMO the strongest weird fiction short story collection of the last five years or so, and I've never heard anyone say they didn't like it. It's not nearly as controversial as the other usual contemporary recommendation, Laird Barron.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

JerryLee posted:

Hahah oh yeah, it even featured as a bit of a plot point in Atrocity Archives i think. Gotta love that attention to detail.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

CuddleChunks posted:

Hahah oh yeah, it even featured as a bit of a plot point in Atrocity Archives i think. Gotta love that attention to detail.

Maybe it did, the time I know of for sure was in Fuller Memorandum though.

Re: the nerd humor in the Laundry series, it might affect other people more strongly than it does me. The Laundry series sometimes gets goofy; however, it never plays the actual reality of the series too lightly, in my opinion. It's not the same type of relentlessly dark prose as Barron or Ligotti, but the cosmos it takes place in isn't any rosier or less weird, it just has a protagonist who's brushing elbows with bureaucracy and programmer culture along the way.

Honestly, my recommendation for starting the Laundry would just be to check out The Atrocity Archives from a library, or take the gamble on buying it, and dive in. The Internet shorts tend to be farther enough along in terms of Bob's career that it seems weird to read them first. However, if there's no other option, I'd agree that reading "Down on the Farm" or "Equoid" to get a taste of the universe would not be the worst idea. I would avoid reading "Overtime" without a grain of salt, because it is one of the shorts that even I found too goofy for my taste. It's basically a Christmas special, though, so it gets a bit of a pass on that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JerryLee posted:

I would avoid reading "Overtime" without a grain of salt, because it is one of the shorts that even I found too goofy for my taste. It's basically a Christmas special, though, so it gets a bit of a pass on that.

Also, it still has a bit of cosmic-horror 'oh poo poo' because it marks the start of CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN, which means far worse stuff is coming than Santa turning out to be an Old One.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

MockingQuantum posted:

I just got my copy of The Children of Old Leech in the mail, along with accompanying chapbook :drool:. I'm excited to dig into it, because while I agree with all of the criticisms of Barron's writings being the product of a hairy-chested Xerox machine, I love his stuff and I'm excited to see what other people do with it

I'm about half way through, some hits some misses. I'm definitely enjoying it.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Neurosis posted:

I loved Colder War but disliked the Laundry series, at least based on the first book. I found the nerd humour extremely obnoxious and unfunny.

I'd at least check out The Jennifer Morgue at the library before abandoning the series. The nerd humor is there, but it's not quite as in your face as in The Atrocity Archives. It plays around with the Bond action/adventure formula to great effect, and it gives you a glimpse of the wider world outside of Bob's insular little IT office.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Venusian Weasel posted:

I'd at least check out The Jennifer Morgue at the library before abandoning the series. The nerd humor is there, but it's not quite as in your face as in The Atrocity Archives. It plays around with the Bond action/adventure formula to great effect, and it gives you a glimpse of the wider world outside of Bob's insular little IT office.

The problem is that The Jennifer Morgue is just as divisive as The Atrocity Archives, perhaps more so. Some people really don't like the central conceit in the second book.

MockingQuantum posted:

Honestly, if your goal is to introduce people to weird fiction, the only real recommendation to make is The Weird edited by the Vandermeers.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 11, 2014

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Yeah I thought "Overtime" was too goofy as well. Though I did appreciate what I thought was a reference to the Coleopterous (future beetle forms) Great Race of Yith by having the Laundry's prognosticator appear as giant cockroach.

Honestly I think Stross's most well written cosmic horror tale is "Equoid." It takes the comical premise of "Unicorns scary? Yeah right" and fully delivers shocking, unexpected horror that ramps up into cosmic terror. It is light on the nerd humor, which I like. What I really appreciate about "Equoid" is that the story is efficient and well paced. Since it is a short story I think Stross was laboring under certain limitations that prevented him from going off on plot unnecessary tangents, which are found in all his Laundry books and that makes them feel slightly unfocused. Maybe he had a stricter editor for the short story, I don't know.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Helical Nightmares posted:

Honestly I think Stross's most well written cosmic horror tale is "Equoid." It takes the comical premise of "Unicorns scary? Yeah right" and fully delivers shocking, unexpected horror that ramps up into cosmic terror. It is light on the nerd humor, which I like. What I really appreciate about "Equoid" is that the story is efficient and well paced. Since it is a short story I think Stross was laboring under certain limitations that prevented him from going off on plot unnecessary tangents, which are found in all his Laundry books and that makes them feel slightly unfocused. Maybe he had a stricter editor for the short story, I don't know.

Equoid was great. It was like reading Johnny-English-style wacky spy parody, then all of a sudden you're in Laird Barron territory and throwing up your lunch.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

Honestly, if your goal is to introduce people to weird fiction, the only real recommendation to make is The Weird edited by the Vandermeers.

I was thinking this, plus one or two more accessible HPL stories, A Colder War, and Nethescurial. Just to give some kind of starting point. And while The Weird is a great collection, I think the first story is a weak introduction to the genre, and kind of a casualty of the book being arranged according to publication date.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MockingQuantum posted:

I was thinking this, plus one or two more accessible HPL stories, A Colder War, and Nethescurial. Just to give some kind of starting point. And while The Weird is a great collection, I think the first story is a weak introduction to the genre, and kind of a casualty of the book being arranged according to publication date.

You seem to be focusing more on cosmic horror than weird fiction. I suppose it can be argued that cosmic horror is a subset of weird fiction, but I don't entirely agree with that sentiment.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Neurosis posted:

He actually tones it down in later books after Jennifer Morgue.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Ornamented Death posted:

I bought The Weird some time ago because it was so praised in the thread, and.. I don't get it. There have been one or two pretty enjoyable stories in it so far (about 50% through), but for me the rest have been just ridiculously boring, grasping messes that just fizzle out at the end without anything even remotely creepy or horrifying in them.

It's strange since usually I enjoy weird short story collections a lot, but in this case it almost feels like everyone is talking about a different book altogether.

EDIT: I decided to shelf it for now and give the Laundry series another chance; I've been reading the Fuller Memorandum and it definitely clicked with me more than the Atrocity Archives. The occasional "+2 pistol or demon-slaying, Windows is unreliable amirite"-humor and the overwrought office jargon are definitely annoying, but not dealbreakingly so yet.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 13, 2014

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

JerryLee posted:

Well, there's one bit of good news for us Laundryphiles--his blog has stated that the next one will be out next year (July 2015, ostensibly), and there are hints that the one after that might only be a year apart, too.

I'm really looking forward to a faster progression of the Laundry series for at least a while, because (Rhesus spoilers) The Rhesus Chart, while filled with the usual great Laundry flavor, didn't feel to me so much like it progressed the CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN scenario in the same way the previous books did. Yes, it did some things that will be significant going further forward into CNG--Angleton's death(incapacitation?), Mo's being pushed apart on her own path--but we weren't shown the actual world changing that much, the way the previous two books did by releasing and then freeing the Sleeper. In The Fuller Memorandum and The Apocalypse Codex there was a sense of the world as a whole slowly slipping under the shadow of some great existential menace, whereas that was sort of in stasis here--CNG didn't become less of a threat, but the crisis that actually takes place in this novel didn't seem like an integral part of the acceleration. It felt more like one of the episodic side-stories.

None of which to say is that I didn't enjoy it immensely, of course.

edit: Charlie's blog has a good spoiler thread going that has some discussion and at least a few points of helpful confirm/deny/clarify responses from the man himself. I recommend checking it out if you don't already.

The story would have had a much harder time happening without the progression to date.

Remember the part about humans becoming gods for a few weeks as the walls of reality start to weaken and it becomes much easier to call upon outside forces? Maybe the whole vampire thing had something to do with that. Andy's debacle almost certainly did. And as Bob noted, the violin's actively awake now.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Dropbear posted:

I bought The Weird some time ago because it was so praised in the thread, and.. I don't get it. There have been one or two pretty enjoyable stories in it so far (about 50% through), but for me the rest have been just ridiculously boring, grasping messes that just fizzle out at the end without anything even remotely creepy or horrifying in them.

It's strange since usually I enjoy weird short story collections a lot, but in this case it almost feels like everyone is talking about a different book altogether.

Weird fiction and horror are not the same thing. There is often a fair amount of overlap, because we often find weird things scary, but they are two distinct genres. It sounds like you're a horror fan but not a weird fiction fan.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Hedrigall posted:

Equoid was great. It was like reading Johnny-English-style wacky spy parody, then all of a sudden you're in Laird Barron territory and throwing up your lunch.

I read it based on this, and while I liked it, I felt it was a lot of work for Charles Stross to go through just to make the same joke that Cabin in the Woods made in 2012.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Did any of you watch True Detective? I heard it was full of King in Yellow stuff. However, my friend told me that the show's creator recommends A Season in Carcosa. That might be enough to change my mind about watching the show. From the publisher's website:

quote:

When Joe Pulver approached S. T. Joshi about doing an anthology like his now-famous tome Black Wings, only for Robert Chambers' King in Yellow, Joshi had only one thing to say:

"You do it, Joe."

So he did.

And here it is: A Season In Carcosa.
There's a lesson to be learned here: S.T. Joshi sometimes gives terrible advice. I understand that Joseph S. Pulver, Sr. has written some Lovecraftian fiction that was well-received. I haven't read any of his work besides the one story of his own that he included. He also wrote the introduction, and from that I know that he's the kind of author who ends sentences like this (!!!)

The Chambers mythos is my favourite part of Lovecraftiana. I'm not sure exactly why, but by the time I got around to reading The King in Yellow I had already read plenty by the original "Lovecraft circle" and plenty of bad knock-offs, too. The King in Yellow left a strong impression on me because it was so...weird, and not just in the sense of weird fiction. It plays around with its motif, holds it lightly, and even discards it in the last few stories in the volume, wherein Chambers moves onto other things. It also impressed me by being, as Lovecraft would say, "horribly suggestive" with nary a tentacle in sight.

The Chambers/Hastur/Carcosa mythos, or whatever you want to call it, is rather unfriendly to the sort of story where, to paraphrase James Turner, a nervous dweeb accidentally reads an old book aloud and is promptly eaten by Yob-Soddoth the Unpronounceable. Of course, someone is bound to try. But even after Derleth reimagined "Hastur" as Cthulhu's brother and a giant tentacled whatsit, he couldn't write "The Return of Hastur" without making it into a story explicitly about Cthulhu instead, despite Smith's urgings. Likewise, Chaosium's Hastur Cycle was filled with reprints and a handful of stories that weren't really about the Chambers mythos at all.

I read mainly genre fiction. I keep resolving to read David Foster Wallace, but always end up reading more David Drake. That said, I have nothing against "literary fiction." I'm not even sure I know what it is. The reason I bring it up is that the Turkey City Lexicon has an entry for the "Abbess Phone Home" story. It denotes a story that wasn't accepted as serious literature, prompting the author to tack on a science fiction element so that it could be sold as genre pulp. Most of the stories in A Season in Carcosa strike me as "literary fiction" stories with an element of horror tacked on so that they could be published.

Many of the stories have nothing to do with Chambers or Lovecraft but a passing reference in the form of a character named Camilla, an object bearing a mysterious Yellow Sign, et cetera. I would be completely forgiving if I thought those stories were good in their own right--I collect Lovecraftian anthologies in the full knowledge that Lovecraft was a flawed writer, and when I crack open the books I want good stories, not thorough pastiche. Most of these stories, however, stink of what David Foster Wallace called "the fear," that is, the fear that if they just tell an honest story, their ideas will be found wanting.

In this case I believe the fear is well-founded. Several stories in this book are written in a confusing stream-of-consciousness style that made it very difficult to suss out an actual plot. What's ironic is that underneath the gingerbread, several stories rely on the same basic structure: The protagonist has an encounter with the Weird, is haunted by it in the form of an engulfing vision, and in the end a boogeyman shows up to eat them, or not. In a few cases I read through a story twice before coming to the conclusion that yes, ultimately, that's all that happened. Examples of this include "Yellow Bird Strings," in which a failed TV host is plagued by visions of his former partner, "Hymn of the Hyades," in which a boy is plagued by visions of a masked boogeyman, and my favourite, "it sees me when i'm not looking," in which a really obvious clone of Charles Bukowski named Hank Chinaski is plagued by visions of being a really obvious clone of Charles Bukowski named Hank Chinaski.

(Edit: I have since realized that Hank Chinaski is in fact Bukowski's alter ego in his autobiographical novels. I maintain that it is a stupid idea.)

There are a couple stories that don't follow this pattern but are still insufferable. The first is Anna Tambour's "King Wolf," which I think is about a group of children who have to find their way through rural Australia after their parents crash their car because they're awful people who scream at each other. The older children have to make it into a game to keep the younger ones from falling apart. Great premise for a story, Lovecraftian or not, but it's written like this:

Anna Tambour posted:

She turned to him. "I learned." And she bowed her head and picked up her glasses case. If she was trying to conceal her smile, she was failing.

"You learned poo poo!" His earpiece fell onto his lap. "so you read free ancient romances! on a pad I gve you! So you groove to Chopin. How refined! You wouldn't know worth if--"

She picked up the pad. "I learned what someone isn't worth."

He picked up the earpiece and threw it at her pad. It bounced off, falling onto her lap.

She brushed the earpiece off as if it were a spider, and stamped and ground it into the carpet.

He throttled the steering wheel with both hands. His face crimsoned as he drew a ragged breath. Then he stamped on the accelerator and turned the wheel.
Even the fawning reviewers admitted they had no loving clue. Pulver's own story is a stream-of-consciousness story about Karl Edward Wagner being drunk and sad.

Joseph S. Pulver, Sr. posted:

Cassilda circles how much she'd like to dance barefoot, just once, just for a few moments, in the snow. "No. Never."

"Thought so."

A cloud she dislikes returns to waltz with the moon. Exit balcony left.

He doesn't bother to turn and watch her leave. He'd see her sweet rear end--probably swaying softly just for him, and it would be his turn to want.
I have no idea. I even asked a friend who reads lots of Ballard and Faulkner (and Karl Edward Wagner!) to read a couple of these stories and confirm that no, it's not me, they were just bad.

The real standout here is Gemma Files' "Slick Black Bones and Soft Black Stars," which is frankly amazing and deserves to be in better company. It does have the strange stylistic conceit of being written in the second-person present tense. ("You start with trowel and probe, cleaning the surface near what you suspect is the grave's edge, thrusting the probe in as far as it'll go, then sniffing it for decomp. If you strike something soft, that's a find.") But I can tell what's going on, and it's got a great plot that uses the King in Yellow mythos for something new and refreshing, about a mass grave recovery specialist literally digging up the secrets of an isolated island where the natives are simply unwholesome.

There are some other good ones. "Movie Night at Phil's" imagines The King in Yellow being used as grist for Roger Corman's mill, then fed to an unsuspecting family. "Whose Hearts are Pure Gold" is simply a strange, entertaining story about a young woman going completely insane because why not? “Beyond the Banks of River Seine” is the closest thing to the kind of story that Chambers would actually have written. "April Dawn" is frankly silly but reads like an account of someone's Call of Cthulhu game in a good way. There's a Laird Barron story, too. The rest deserve to be eaten by Yob-Soddoth the Unpronounceable.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 15, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
True Detective was really loving good. Closest thing in tone that I think I've ever seen to Seven. The Mythos elements were present but not misused.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Pope Guilty posted:

True Detective was really loving good. Closest thing in tone that I think I've ever seen to Seven. The Mythos elements were present but not misused.

I liked True Detective, but I think it would be mischaracterized as having Mythos elements. There is a LOT of Ligotti's philosophy, as whole passages are pretty much quoted from The Conspiracy Against the Human Race and weirdly enough some Alan Moore sprinkled at the end. I always thought that Chambers ended up being mostly supernatural romance rather than actual psychological horror, so along those lines, there was a lot of relationship decay that I noticed was pretty common in his stories. Not scary per se, but tinged with this sort of melancholy and inevitable end.

But yeah, in spite of the setup, it is still really good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

GrandpaPants posted:

I always thought that Chambers ended up being mostly supernatural romance rather than actual psychological horror, so along those lines, there was a lot of relationship decay that I noticed was pretty common in his stories. Not scary per se, but tinged with this sort of melancholy and inevitable end.
Chambers, I think, is very much an author of Gothic Weird rather than Cosmic Weird. The shattering visions that his characters experience are more in tune with the Romantic idea of the Sublime rather than with nihilistic rationalism.

I'm still going to watch True Detective, but I wanted to rant about a book I didn't like.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Halloween Jack posted:

Chambers, etc.

Joe Pulver is something of an acquired taste. Almost all of his stories are written like that. Initially I liked it because it was different from everything else being published, but he really is a one-trick pony and after three collections and two novels of predominantly stream-of-consciousness stories, it gets old. "Choosing" is probably the best thing he's written, and it's essentially "The Lottery" + Cthulhu so he was already standing on the shoulders of giants for that one (it's the first story in Blood Will Have Its Season and you can read all of it through the "Look Inside" option on the Kindle version's page).

I have read A Season in Carcosa and while I didn't have quite as negative reaction as you did, I still disliked more stories than I liked. I wish there was someone other than Joe Pulver to carry the torch for Chambers nowadays.

Pulver's other collection, The Grimscribe's Puppets, just won the Shirley Jackson award. It's a tribute to Thomas Ligotti, and you'll see a lot of the same names show in the table of contents, but I think I'll give it a shot.

quote:

Chambers, I think, is very much an author of Gothic Weird rather than Cosmic Weird. The shattering visions that his characters experience are more in tune with the Romantic idea of the Sublime rather than with nihilistic rationalism.

Bear in mind that Chambers was publishing stories something like 30 years before Lovecraft all but invented the cosmic horror genre, so that makes sense.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Ornamented Death posted:

This guy puts it better than I ever could:

Thomas Ligotti posted:

Let us posit that Bukowski is the sun. Or Brautigan, Burroughs and the Beats—a solar Coney Island of the Mind where Timothy Leary’s dead and dead Cthulhu waits and sings the live long daydream believer. Then Joe Pulver’s Portraits of Ruin would be the burst of planets, Big Bang-Bang, Marquee Moons hanging on for what they got, scream of consciousness—in Outer Space no one can hear it . . . except Coffin Joe, Monster Mash Potato that big ol’ Portraits of Ruin—Mars needs it, you need it, so just open the lid and shake your fist—then say: “They kill horses, horses, horses, horses.” Thank you. Come again?
I hate this more than Thomas Ligotti hates being alive.

I just read my first Ligotti story, "My Case for Retributive Action." Where do I get more of this?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I just read my first Ligotti story, "My Case for Retributive Action." Where do I get more of this?

The Nightmare Factory is a big thick book of Ligotti.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Pope Guilty posted:

The Nightmare Factory is a big thick book of Ligotti.

That's a graphic novel.

Try this, instead. Most of his work is now available on the various ereader platforms through SubPress.

quote:

Bear in mind I made that recommendation two years ago. I've soured on Pulver since then, for the reasons I listed above :).

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

That's a graphic novel.

Oh, whoops. I found my copy of the actual slab of Ligotti that is The Nightmare Factory at a Goodwill for a buck, which it looks like is about $74 less than it goes for on Amazon. Didn't look close enough to realize that that wasn't a rerelease. God, I love Goodwill.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Pope Guilty posted:

Oh, whoops. I found my copy of the actual slab of Ligotti that is The Nightmare Factory at a Goodwill for a buck, which it looks like is about $74 less than it goes for on Amazon. God, I love Goodwill.

If I'm not mistaken, the doorstop The Nightmare Factory is just his first two collections smooshed together, so if you've got those, no need to track down TNF unless you're a collector.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

You seem to be focusing more on cosmic horror than weird fiction. I suppose it can be argued that cosmic horror is a subset of weird fiction, but I don't entirely agree with that sentiment.

What would you add/remove? I'll admit I'm much more of a cosmic horror fan, I'll admit that my own tastes are more narrow than a lot of the thread regulars. But I'd rather represent the whole spectrum, assuming I ever get around to changing the OP.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I picked up Reign of Cthulhu because I am bad with money and it is very ungood. Nothing manages to capture even a tenth of the greatness of A Colder War.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Does Tim Powers get much love in this thread? _Declare_ is one of the best novels I've ever read, if you liked _A Colder War_ you should love it. Powers does secret histories so well; the more you know about the actual events the cooler his novels are.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Phanatic posted:

Does Tim Powers get much love in this thread? _Declare_ is one of the best novels I've ever read, if you liked _A Colder War_ you should love it. Powers does secret histories so well; the more you know about the actual events the cooler his novels are.

Tim Powers is wonderful. Declare, Last Call and Three Days To Never are all right up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Rough Lobster posted:

I picked up Reign of Cthulhu because I am bad with money and it is very ungood. Nothing manages to capture even a tenth of the greatness of A Colder War.

Damnit, man, I warned against doing that!