Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is!

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
I have to get up at 4am tomorrow because Mr Boods has to go up to Cambridge early doors, but now I want to stay up and watch The Thing.

eta Green Intern, your link has me giggling like an idiot. Now I really do have to go to bed.

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 10, 2014

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Bullshit like this is what makes me hate this strip. Even the arbitrary, circumstantial, leap of logic stuff is bearable, but this trivia crap is unacceptable.

I don't even know how much a gallon is

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tiistai posted:

Bullshit like this is what makes me hate this strip. Even the arbitrary, circumstantial, leap of logic stuff is bearable, but this trivia crap is unacceptable.

I don't even know how much a gallon is

It's really not that bad if you're familiar with the measurement. Most people are going to know how much their own vehicle can hold, and just based off that, it's pretty easy to guess that 25 gallons is going to be way too much for something that size. Really, the biggest problem was that you might not know if the vehicles they mentioned are a car or a truck.

That being said, it's still a bullshit puzzle because what if the guy filled up some gas cans too.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

The answer to those, and all other questions of missing strips, is that posting a strip every day is boring and unrewarding.

This is absolutely the truth. It's also time consuming and sometimes people got poo poo to do!

Still a couple of days behind, but we'll get there.

Luann, as promised, is dumb.

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

ETA: Hey, remember when we always used to hold onto certain panels in case we wanted them for a reaction or something? I do. Anyway, I don't know what this would be good for; I just kind of liked Peter's expression in this one.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 11, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone want to join the Nemi avatar club?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Geez, Piraro, if you're not even going to try to sort-of hide them what's the point?

The Sphinxster posted:

Good looking out. Now I think the mom seems kind of passive/wimpy/ditzy for an ER doctor. I guess there's just no pleasing some people.
I don't think the Mom (Evy) is a doctor. He (Ed) is an ER doc. Her occupation hasn't been told, as far as I recall. Perhaps it's stay-at-home Mom.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I'm just going to lay back and let the Mary Worth wash over me.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Johnny Walker posted:

Geez, Piraro, if you're not even going to try to sort-of hide them what's the point?

I only count 8. There's a reason the Land of Waldos puzzle was the hardest one in the entire Waldo series.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I moved to the US last year and my visa alone took weeks to get to me, let alone all the logistics of moving. I do not understand how this nerd is able to move lives literally overnight :psyduck:

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 7/10/2003

This comic makes me feel actual revulsion.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Never did a convention, but what I'm seeing here is a shapeless gray mob and a fat Wonder Woman. Does that match anybody else's experience?

Eh, close enough.

Nobody calls it "San Diego Comic-Con International", though. It's "ComicCon", "San Diego", or "San Diego ComicCon" if you're writing an article or something. Batiuk has actual comic professionals ghost for him occasionally, so I don't know what the deal is.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann, as promised, is dumb.

The most annoying thing about this storyline apart from the usual blandness is that when you're moving to another country you can't just loving buy a plane ticket and be gone the next day without even telling your friends! Moving to another country requires some work even if you're a Gunther with no life and living with your mother.

When I moved out of Finland it took about a month to get all the visas, sell the car, give away all my stuff that didn't fit in a backpack, cancel all the rent/insurance/internet/newspaper/whatever contracts and subscriptions I had, and then there's about a million other things that you don't realize you have until you need to get rid of everything. At the very least you need to get some vaccinations and those don't happen overnight either.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That stuff is all potentially interesting, and has no place in Luann.

Esseb
Jun 29, 2008

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Synchromesh is indeed an awesome word. I don't get why she's spazzing so much about scab, though. I'm kind of liking the older artwork, too.

If I recall correctly, the original word was 'snerk', which is the name for the thin film you get on top of your cocoa if you leave it for a while. I'm guessing there's no English equivalent.

E: 'milk skin' apparently. Not as disgusting sounding.

Esseb fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 11, 2014

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Brooke's writing is enough to give anybody an instant migraine.

Pibgorn

If you ever wanted to know what a come vial looked like, have I got a comic for you.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I've been at a bar with a four hour long "happy hour" before. I was quite happy afterwards. I think it's just a name that gets used without much thought to its original meaning. If you called it something other than "happy hour" people wouldn't know what the gently caress was up. "After-work-pre-date-cheap-drink-time" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Reminder: this character is 13 years old.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Plus if we were back in the middle ages an "hour" would just be however the gently caress long it seemed like a longish thing usually took to take.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Brooke's writing is enough to give anybody an instant migraine.

Why is there an umbrella stand out in the middle of whatever random field they've wandered into?

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Pibgorn

Reminder: this character is 13 years old.

You can't even say that Brooke has taken artistic license and made his Juliet is older because, although he's edited other stuff out, he kept the line in where they gave her age.

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol
I got behind last week, too, so we missed about a week of these. What happened was the cops came around the bar asking where they could find "Birdie," the dude who bought the fur coat. Of course, they didn't know that the barkeep is the guy who sold Birdie the stolen coat in the first place. As soon as the cops leave, the barkeep sends his goons to Birdie's house to pick Birdie up and bring him back to the bar to rough him up or whatever so he doesn't talk. The goons meet Birdie's wife instead.

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt
What we missed was more boxing. Irish Dude threw his right even though it hurt a bunch and took Ben Bolt by surprise. Bolt got all pissed off because Irish Dude's right shoulder is supposed to be broken or something. The fight continuted on.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Geech: Harry Moskos edition

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Esseb posted:

If I recall correctly, the original word was 'snerk', which is the name for the thin film you get on top of your cocoa if you leave it for a while. I'm guessing there's no English equivalent.
Santorum.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Dr Kapuht (kaput)? A Mary lookalike as nurse? Is this a dream sequence or is Mary Worth getting into some really weird territory with this one? I think I'll just follow Sphinxster's good advice.

The Sphinxster posted:

I'm just going to lay back and let the Mary Worth wash over me.

Rex Morgan MD

Rex Morgan is very dull.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Dr Kapuht (kaput)? A Mary lookalike as nurse? Is this a dream sequence or is Mary Worth getting into some really weird territory with this one? I think I'll just follow Sphinxster's good advice.

Why is this small child wearing a fuddy-duddy twin set? Or am I just totally out of touch with today's youf and early 1960s' era clothing for grandmas is the latest hot trend in pre-teen casualwear?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

Dr Kapuht (kaput)?
Maybe it's actually Dr Kaputnik.

Seriously if they somehow spin this into a Dave Berg tribute I don't think I'll be able to contain myself.

e:

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Oh my god. I think that's doing the trick all by itself. :allears:

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 11, 2014

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

So Mandrake's desk was exempt from their world-wide manhunt?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Of course not, that's where Mandrake was missing from to begin with. They looked there already. Duh.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

:golfclap:

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It's about the "happy" part, not the "hour" part. You'll notice that he changed the word "happy" in each one of these. Do you do this just to mess with us or are you genuinely in a constant state of confusion?
I'm not confused, the joke just doesn't work. If the term "happy hour" had to be changed because of truth in advertising rules then the "hour" part would have to be changed as well as the "happy" part. If you just change the "happy" to something else but still keep it multiple hours then you're not making the term accurate, which is the whole premise of the joke, so it doesn't work.

Arelon posted:

The most annoying thing about this storyline apart from the usual blandness is that when you're moving to another country you can't just loving buy a plane ticket and be gone the next day without even telling your friends! Moving to another country requires some work even if you're a Gunther with no life and living with your mother.

When I moved out of Finland it took about a month to get all the visas, sell the car, give away all my stuff that didn't fit in a backpack, cancel all the rent/insurance/internet/newspaper/whatever contracts and subscriptions I had, and then there's about a million other things that you don't realize you have until you need to get rid of everything. At the very least you need to get some vaccinations and those don't happen overnight either.
Do you realise that you're saying that the comic should feature more of Gunther? I don't think any of us want that.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Rex Morgan is very dull.
And he suddenly has a massive jaw.

Blondie

I assume Dagwood's co-worker is setting him up for a practical joke.

Ziggy

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Arelon posted:

Worse yet, it's not like he's just going to Peru to hang out with his girlfriend and see the local tourist attractions. He's planning to work in a clinic. If he wanted to work in the medical field in the US he'd have to be current on a variety of vaccinations, but he's planning to go to a foreign country all full of exotic bacteria his immune system hasn't gotten the chance to meet yet. Hope he's not expecting to drink the water!

You know what the CDC recommends you get vaccinated for before heading to Peru? Hep A and typhoid at the very least. Depending on where you plan to be or what you plan to do, they also recommend Hep B, malaria, yellow fever, and loving rabies (admittedly likely only a concern if the clinic Gunther plans to visit is veterinary in nature). Some of these, notably the hepatitis vaccines, have to be done in a series with each booster weeks to months apart. Because malaria tends to like to hang out for a while, malaria pills have to be started before you leave, taken regularly the entire time you're abroad, and continued for a little while after you get home.

None of these diseases are a good time. I talked to a guy who had survived malaria. He said that when he was sick, all he could do was lie in bed. He didn't even have the energy to wish for death, nor could he muster the strength to hope he lived.

Gunther's whole story arc with Rosa has been about how he's too uptight and timid and needs to just be crazy and let his hair down and do things on a whim sometimes. But a trip to the third world should be thoroughly planned out. Or, at the very least a little bit planned out. I guess it's possible to just show up at the airport with a passport, a plane ticket, and a growing sense of dread, but it's a horrible idea. Gunther is going to die in Peru.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Julet Esqu posted:

Gunther is going to die in Peru.

I would support this plot twist. Luann going Funky Winkerbean on us and killing/ruining the lives of most of the young adult/underage cast would be amazing. And since this is Luann, Tiffany and the other "villains" will probably make it out unscathed, though the child that those two protagonists hate and abuse whenever they take care of her would probably be an unfortunate casualty.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I'm not confused, the joke just doesn't work. If the term "happy hour" had to be changed because of truth in advertising rules then the "hour" part would have to be changed as well as the "happy" part. If you just change the "happy" to something else but still keep it multiple hours then you're not making the term accurate, which is the whole premise of the joke, so it doesn't work.

You are thinking way the gently caress too hard about ensuring that the joke remains logical in all aspects and conforms to OSHA and ISO-9000 standards. Next you'll quibble that chickens can't cross roads or something.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Allen Wren posted:

You are thinking way the gently caress too hard about ensuring that the joke remains logical in all aspects and conforms to OSHA and ISO-9000 standards. Next you'll quibble that chickens can't cross roads or something.

If it's a joke by "A complete useless unfunny douchebag lolrandum wook at how pwecious my pweteen gowth is" Wiley, I'm throwing my hat in with Tiggum and saying shove that loving chicken in a frypan.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

:ohdear:

Barking up the wrong tree there, just a little...

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

It's so weird seeing all these old comics doing new age stuff.
Especially that gray cat who looks like he's twerking.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

I hope "sensitive" works here. Herkkä means both that and, as Wiktionary aptly puts it, "quick to react".

Fok_It

kasizzle

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Hey, tiistai you're doin' some great work translating these to English, keep it up, they're awesome!

Cul-de-sac MEANWHILE, In another part of the library...

The Creeps who WAS that masked man?!

POPtropica ...wait, didn't I do this joke already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

I am repulsed by the old fashioned crusader mentality, but the heroism makes me love this comic.

• Locked thread