Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I wonder why some games (WHC, SW) use the blister packs, but others use the normal packaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

What's the release date for the core set again? Some time in August?

GenCon, I think.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

I wonder why some games (WHC, SW) use the blister packs, but others use the normal packaging.

Star Wars doesn't use blisters? All the packs I've seen up through the one that just came out were regular packaging.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah, currently nothing is sold in blister packs besides the POD products.

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a
Yeah it's just confusing when so many of the ads and articles show the packs in blisters, like in the new War Pack article that Carteret linked.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

That's...even weirder then. Haven't bought SW in a while so didn't realize it was in standard packs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Carteret posted:

Yeah, currently nothing is sold in blister packs besides the POD products.

Netrunner Draft Packs are also sold in blisters.

Crevic
Aug 4, 2007

Jedit posted:

Netrunner Draft Packs are also sold in blisters.

The draft packs are printed with their POD printer.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Really the difference is where they are printed. If they are printed here in the US (I believe at or near their St Paul headquarters), they are in the blister packs. If they are printed overseas, they are in the standard box. This is just because of the manufacturing process involved.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dre2Dee2 posted:

An article on Game Trade Magazine reveals Necrons and Tyranids will come out in a future expansion for WHC.

Necrons will be able to steal units from any faction in the alignment wheel (whatever that means), and Tyranids remain outside the alignment wheel and can't include any other factions in their deck.

Not really all that crazy about the alignment wheel mechanic myself from what we've seen so far, but good to see they didn't leave anyone out.

Isn't the alignment wheel their way of saying "Faction X can run units from Factions W and Y but not Z?"

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Isn't the alignment wheel their way of saying "Faction X can run units from Factions W and Y but not Z?"

"Faction X can run units from Factions W OR Y but not Z."

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Lotr is really starting to irritate me. The game is mechanically really fun but sometimes you just get bullshit out and it is the dumbest thing.

1. I think we were doing Flight from Moria. We have the quest to use the adventurer's tools to make progress to escape. So we're digging for the tools and we get them! As a shadow card! So as far as we can tell that means they go to the discard pile and there's only 1 in the deck. Ok fine, poo poo happens. So as per the rules we ditch that quest and the next one we get is the other way out! Except that it's a god drat lottery where you flip a card for each player and if it's a creature then the player just get murdered. What the gently caress is that? We didn't draw creatures and we then went on to lose to too much threat, but why the hell is this a mechanic?

2. Different game, Road to Rivendell, everything is going fine. We are in a good position with 4 players. Things look good. Then player 1 flips a shadow effect "kill all exhausted characters" and guess who had quested with Arwen before that? Note: if Arwen dies the game ends.

Aggravating.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Failboattootoot posted:

Lotr is really starting to irritate me. The game is mechanically really fun but sometimes you just get bullshit out and it is the dumbest thing.

1. I think we were doing Flight from Moria. We have the quest to use the adventurer's tools to make progress to escape. So we're digging for the tools and we get them! As a shadow card! So as far as we can tell that means they go to the discard pile and there's only 1 in the deck. Ok fine, poo poo happens. So as per the rules we ditch that quest and the next one we get is the other way out! Except that it's a god drat lottery where you flip a card for each player and if it's a creature then the player just get murdered. What the gently caress is that? We didn't draw creatures and we then went on to lose to too much threat, but why the hell is this a mechanic?

2. Different game, Road to Rivendell, everything is going fine. We are in a good position with 4 players. Things look good. Then player 1 flips a shadow effect "kill all exhausted characters" and guess who had quested with Arwen before that? Note: if Arwen dies the game ends.

Aggravating.

There's an answer to every situation you can come across. In those cases, Shadow of the Past would of solved the first one, and Test of Will/Hasty Stroke would of fixed the other.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I haven't played too many of the newer quests, but Khazad Dum and accompanying series of packs like Road to Rivendell, had a lot of pretty ridiculous answer or die bullshit in them that I think they've swung away from in general in later releases. The most annoying quests I can think of all come from that set.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Failboattootoot posted:

Aggravating.

Kill all exhausted characters? On a shadow? I just went and looked through the encounter cards for that quest and found nothing of the sort. The only thing remotely like that is a treachery card, Undisturbed Bones, which can only kill Arwen if she is the only ally you control and you hit two of them.

As for your Flight from Moria thing yeah that sounds pretty BS. I haven't done that quest so I'm not really sure how it works.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

DontMockMySmock posted:

Kill all exhausted characters? On a shadow? I just went and looked through the encounter cards for that quest and found nothing of the sort. The only thing remotely like that is a treachery card, Undisturbed Bones, which can only kill Arwen if she is the only ally you control and you hit two of them.

As for your Flight from Moria thing yeah that sounds pretty BS. I haven't done that quest so I'm not really sure how it works.

He's talking about Sleeping Sentry. gently caress that card.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I haven't played too many of the newer quests, but Khazad Dum and accompanying series of packs like Road to Rivendell, had a lot of pretty ridiculous answer or die bullshit in them that I think they've swung away from in general in later releases. The most annoying quests I can think of all come from that set.

This is good to hear. My friends and I have just one quest left for the Dwarrowdelf cycle and then it's on to Against the Shadow. We've enjoyed all the quests so far but there are for sure some mean mean cards in them that are just kind of bullshit. Like Sleeping Sentry.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Epi Lepi posted:

This is good to hear. My friends and I have just one quest left for the Dwarrowdelf cycle and then it's on to Against the Shadow. We've enjoyed all the quests so far but there are for sure some mean mean cards in them that are just kind of bullshit. Like Sleeping Sentry.

Agreed, gently caress this card. Back to my original point, there are plenty of options to avoid it. When playing Shadow and Flames, I would make sure I had Eleanor around to make sure I can stop Counter-Spell. gently caress that card.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Epi Lepi posted:

Whoops, I missed that somehow. Yeah, that's brutal.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I don't know how you guys feel about fanmade stuff, but the guy who runs Tales from the Cards(a really good LotR LCG blog) created his own expansion. It's called The First Age, and so obviously has all sorts of cards related to stories from the First Age in the Silmarillion. http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/first-age/

I haven't looked too deep into what he's done with it besides glancing through the player cards, but it sure is extensive.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
e: I knew this'll happen. Sorry.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 11, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My post got eaten somehow, so here goes again:

Hi thread. I'm planning to get LotR at some point since I want an LCG and a coop game. I got a question though. If I do get into it, will I need to double up on expansions to get a good 4-player experience or will getting 2 of the core sets be enough for that and from then on it's just one copy of each expansion?

Actually, while I'm writing, here's another question. Are there other good coop LCGs? I searched BGG and LotR was the only one I found, but I suppose they could be missing something somehow.

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010
I don't think there is another coop LCG. You should be fine with 2x core 1x anything else though. I haven't heard of anyone buying 2x everything yet. If a friend really can't live without a certain card that someone else is using, they could just buy the pack that card comes in.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Mehuyael posted:

Hi thread. I'm planning to get LotR at some point since I want an LCG and a coop game. I got a question though. If I do get into it, will I need to double up on expansions to get a good 4-player experience or will getting 2 of the core sets be enough for that and from then on it's just one copy of each expansion?

Actually, while I'm writing, here's another question. Are there other good coop LCGs? I searched BGG and LotR was the only one I found, but I suppose they could be missing something somehow.

LOTR is the only cooperative LCG. Don't get multiple versions of the adventure packs. Get one core set, play with that, then add adventure packs. Eventually, get another core set if you want.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Mehuyael posted:

You should be just fine with 2 Cores and one of each expansion. Hell, if you just get 1 Core and one of each expansion, you should be able to build four decks that work well, though there are likely to be some compromises. You could even just go one cycle at a time and still be able to function. The good thing about this game is you can build a deck that knowingly skimps on one particular aspect so another deck can pick up the slack.

Only the most hardcore of the hardcore double up on expansions.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
e: Cool, all I needed to know! I'll probably ask for good starter expansions to get to try it out 4 player once I'm ready to order it (i.e. manage to get a friend/family who's going to the US to agree to grab me some copies).

Alright, thanks. Can you get a 4 player game going without getting 2 core sets? Like with let's say getting a couple of expansions?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Mehuyael posted:

Alright, thanks. Can you get a 4 player game going without getting 2 core sets? Like with let's say getting a couple of expansions?

Kinda but not really. The core box only comes with tokens and threat counters for two players, but those can be easily substituted. For instance, there is an android app that can track threat for you and automatically lower it each turn. As far as the cards go, you might be a bit stretched thin as far as deck building goes, but it certainly isn't impossible.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I guess I misunderstood your previous post.

Alright, then I I'll just save for 2 core copies, then if I like it start collecting expansions.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4919

Chaos preview for conquest is up.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
FFG does a pretty great job about getting my hyped for this.

There better be enough copies for me at Gen Con!

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
I recently got into LOTR and grabbed a smattering of random expansions largely motivated by price, and now I find myself potentially teaching the game to two new players in a couple of days. Being a bad player myself and doing stupid things constantly (had Sneak Attack and Gandalf in starting hand, didn't save any resources, enemy came out on first turn that killed a hero!) could anyone give me some advice to smooth out the experience?

The first time I taught the game to another player he cruised through Passage Through Mirkwood with Core Set Leadership as I played Spirit questing second fiddle in the background and although he enjoyed it, it wasn't exactly the most thrilling experience.

I have 1x Core Set, A Journey to Rhosgobel, Return to Mirkwood, Khazad-Dum, Redhorn Gate, Road To Rivendell, Watcher in the Water, Foundations of Stone and On The Doorstep. I know it's an all encompassing question but if anyone could suggest some basic deck archetypes (I feel I have enough to make a serviceable Dwarf deck but not Eagles, for example) or at least point out some pitfalls I'd appreciate it. I'm already considering going easy mode since the earlier mistake I made was caused by Chieftain of the Pit who's out in easy mode. Also stumbled with Sleeping Sentry in another game, and both copies of that are out too.

Single Tight Female fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 13, 2014

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Single Tight Female posted:

I recently got into LOTR and grabbed a smattering of random expansions largely motivated by price, and now I find myself potentially teaching the game to two new players in a couple of days. Being a bad player myself and doing stupid things constantly (had Sneak Attack and Gandalf in starting hand, didn't save any resources, enemy came out on first turn that killed a hero!) could anyone give me some advice to smooth out the experience?

The first time I taught the game to another player he cruised through Passage Through Mirkwood with Core Set Leadership as I played Spirit questing second fiddle in the background and although he enjoyed it, it wasn't exactly the most thrilling experience.

I have 1x Core Set, A Journey to Rhosgobel, Return to Mirkwood, Khazad-Dum, Redhorn Gate, Road To Rivendell, Watcher in the Water, Foundations of Stone and On The Doorstep. I know it's an all encompassing question but if anyone could suggest some basic deck archetypes (I feel I have enough to make a serviceable Dwarf deck but not Eagles, for example) or at least point out some pitfalls I'd appreciate it. I'm already considering going easy mode since the earlier mistake I made was caused by Chieftain of the Pit who's out in easy mode. Also stumbled with Sleeping Sentry in another game, and both copies of that are out too.

I am not an expert at all, but I think I can provide a couple decent tips.

Allies are really nice to have across all the spheres. Being able to toss allies in front of whatever bullshit flies your way is a big help. Chump blocks, awful treachery cards, whatever. Having a lot of allies in your deck is nice.

Leadership has some nice cards in it but so far it seems a bit weak on it's own. I have had a lot of luck splashing purple in with lore and spirit though.

Specialization seems like a trap. At the bare minimum you will want a hero who can take a hit no matter which sphere you are using. Another hero to actually kill things you engage is also nice but can be mitigated if your tactics player runs a bunch of ranged guys. The third hero either needs to be good at questing or offer up some really helpful utility.

Some cards are just plain mandatory. Spirit needs to run Eleanor as a hero all the time. Unless the encounter deck has no treacheries in it, or really ignorable treacheries (have not seen any like this yet) she is just too good. Spirit should also always have as many northern trackers as possible unless you are playing an encounter deck that is just location light, and even then it's a strong ally just to have around anyway. Similarly, leadership should be crammed full of steward's of gondor. Steward of gondor and northern tracker are actually worth mulliganing for if they aren't in your opening hand. And while I won't say they are mandatory, I will say that it is drat hard to beat Eowyn in spirit as a hero, especially in a game with more than 2 players. Similarly, Legolas and Beregond (you might not have this guy) in Tactics just really stand out.

I was wondering if any of the print on demand stuff on the FFG site has cards for players or if they are pure adventures. I'm more in this for the deck building aspect and don't really want to pick up something that is pure adventure.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 15, 2014

Aleator
Jun 27, 2011

I am nothing but a blade, waiting for the perfect time to end an ancient warrior's pride.

Failboattootoot posted:

I was wondering if any of the print on demand stuff on the FFG site has cards for players or if they are pure adventures. I'm more in this for the deck building aspect and don't really want to pick up something that is pure adventure.

I am pretty sure that the print on demand stuff are just pure adventures with no player cards.

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010

Aleator posted:

I am pretty sure that the print on demand stuff are just pure adventures with no player cards.

Yeah that's the case. The nightmare decks make the respective adventure harder, and the rest are standalone adventures.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I've gotten my first adventure pack(s). While I have gotten the Saga expansions I hadn't gotten any of the packs. Now I have The Hunt for Gollum, being the first of the cycle, and the Dead Marshs, for the fast hitch. Bonus being now I have Boromir and have the entire fellowship in one way or another, and old Bilbo. I'll be interested in getting the rest of the mirkwood cycle, but the next expansions will require me to start getting regular play.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

I am not an expert at all, but I think I can provide a couple decent tips.

Some very useful stuff there, thank you. Over the past few days I've cobbled together three decks which will hopefully work, one pure Tactics, one Leadership/Lore and the last Spirit/Lore. The Tactics one is just a super murder ranged deck (probably awful but if someone gets a big kill with a Black Arrow it'll be worth it), Leadership is a bit of everything that all happen to be dwarves and the Spirit one is hard questing (Eowyn, Glorfindel, Escort from Edoras, stuff like that) and I'll probably take it. That said, I was gonna put Balin in the Leadership deck for shadow card mitigation, but didn't consider treacheries beyond a few event cards. Definitely concerned about a mean treachery card leaving a bad taste in some mouths so I might make that change.

Generally speaking I've aimed for at least 20+ allies per deck, and trying to keep the decks as close to 50 cards as possible. Sadly, I do not have Beregond (yet!) either. Well cheers for the assist, I may return with a tale of great woe or stunning success this time tomorrow!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alright, I'm making my move on getting the LotR LCG. I already know to get 2 core sets for 4 player support, now are there expansions that help give the game a better first impression? A couple of those would be nice. And if they're all good to get for starters then maybe a couple that'll help make a dwarf deck since at least 2 of us here love them dwarfs.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Mehuyael posted:

Alright, I'm making my move on getting the LotR LCG. I already know to get 2 core sets for 4 player support, now are there expansions that help give the game a better first impression? A couple of those would be nice. And if they're all good to get for starters then maybe a couple that'll help make a dwarf deck since at least 2 of us here love them dwarfs.

Khazad-dum and Over Hill and Under hill contain a lot of dwarf cards, and they also have quests that do not require other expansions. Also I believe the Return to Mirkwood adventure pack has the king of the dwarves as a hero.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Rusty Kettle posted:

Khazad-dum and Over Hill and Under hill contain a lot of dwarf cards, and they also have quests that do not require other expansions. Also I believe the Return to Mirkwood adventure pack has the king of the dwarves as a hero.

OHaUH's quests are significantly more difficult. I would get Return to Mirkwood and Khazad-Dum for the Dwarf fun.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rusty Kettle posted:

mongol posted:

OHaUH's quests are significantly more difficult. I would get Return to Mirkwood and Khazad-Dum for the Dwarf fun.

Alright, thanks! This should fill in the deck-construction, co-op and lotr niches my collection's missing handily!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
I'm wondering if any of you LOTR players have done much with Easy Mode? My girl and I haven't played in the better part of a year (though I have everything through The Morgul Vale), and I was thinking about starting over completely in Easy Mode with decks that were more thematic rather than tactically sound. Does it just demolish all the challenge or is it still decent?