Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Now Boehner is suing Obama because he's some how not enforcing the ACA. Does he not see the irony of saying the President isn't enforcing evil Obamacare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

James The 1st posted:

Now Boehner is suing Obama because he's some how not enforcing the ACA. Does he not see the irony of saying the President isn't enforcing evil Obamacare?

The specifics don't matter, this will generate headlines stating "Boehner suing over Obamacare" which is all he wants out of this.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Can the House actually appropriate the money to pay lawyers to sue the President without the consent of the Senate?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Dystram posted:

No because it's only a crisis because conservatives started calling it as such.

This is from a couple of pages ago, but it is a crisis, even though Obama has a D next to his name. 50,000 kids coming over the border is a problem for social services and the immigration system, period. If I had my way we would just give them all refugee status, but obviously Obama (and Clinton...) have to be Tough On Immigration so they'll all be sent back to be murdered in the street.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
We should send them all on a boat to Australia if you ask me.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

We should send them all on a boat to Australia if you ask me.

Or put them all in a camp on Guam.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

James The 1st posted:

This is actually pretty good, hopefully they can find someone with standing.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Badger of Basra posted:

This is from a couple of pages ago, but it is a crisis, even though Obama has a D next to his name. 50,000 kids coming over the border is a problem for social services and the immigration system, period. If I had my way we would just give them all refugee status, but obviously Obama (and Clinton...) have to be Tough On Immigration so they'll all be sent back to be murdered in the street.

It's not a crisis. It's been happening for a while. No one gave a poo poo until the right wingers brought it up and called it a "crisis." What's Obama showing up going to do? Nothing. It's just another point of attack for conservatives.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The "Obama MUST GO TO THE BORDER" is just another in a long string of right wing attempts to bring him "to heel" by making him do a thing, dating all the way back to the 2008 campaign with McCain trying to make him attend a schedule of debates etc. devised by McCain, trying to get him to suspend his campaign etc., and there have been intermittent efforts by others in this regard. poo poo won't stop until 2016.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Zwabu posted:

poo poo won't stop until 2016.

:eng101: 2017, at least.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

I disagree :)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

How is it good, do you legitimately believe he overstepped his bounds by giving an agency he was at the top of the chain of an order?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

In other immigration news NYC will start issuing municipal IDs to all residents

http://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-mayor/news/345-14/mayor-de-blasio-signs-legislation-create-municipal-id-card#/0

quote:

NEW YORK—Today, Mayor Bill de Blasio signed legislation to create a municipal ID card for all New York City residents.

The legislation paves the way for the creation of a municipal ID for all residents of the five boroughs who meet the program's proof of identity and city residency requirements. The City will immediately initiate implementation of the program, with the goal of launching the new identification card in January 2015. The Mayor also announced today that the card will be issued at no cost for applicants during the program's first year.

"We cannot accept a city where some of our residents are forced to live fearfully in the shadows, unable to visit their child's school or sign a lease. Today, this legislation will begin to provide New Yorkers with the dignity and peace of mind they deserve," said Mayor Bill de Blasio. "This bill has become reality because community activists and organizers worked tirelessly to make this day happen. I want to thank the City Council, including Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito, and City Council Members Danny Dromm and Carlos Menchaca for their incredible leadership in helping all our city's residents attain the identification they deserve."

"From our earliest days, New York City has been a beacon of hope and optimism, and today we are continuing to build that legacy," said City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito. "This new ID card is more than a means of identification—it is upholding the promise of acceptance and opportunity we make to one another as New Yorkers. I thank Council Member Dromm, Council Member Menchaca, my Council colleagues, and Mayor de Blasio for their strong support, and I am proud to be here today as we sign this landmark legislation to create a more fair and just city that is inclusive of all New Yorkers."

"Today's bill signing is a transformative moment in the history of this city. With this law, New Yorkers will have access to the largest municipal identification program in the country, and will have increased access to the rights and privileges afforded to them as members of our city. This identification program is real celebration of the diversity of this city, and a commitment to the protection—and inclusion—of all. I am proud today to be a member of this Council, and a resident of this great city," said Council Member Carlos Menchaca, Chair of the Committee on Immigration.

"Today is a historic day," said Council Member Daniel Dromm. "I thank Mayor de Blasio, Speaker Mark-Viverito, Council Member Menchaca, my fellow Council colleagues, and the many advocates and supporters who helped make the municipal ID a reality. This new form of identification will make our city even more inclusive. It is certain to become the must-have accessory for all New Yorkers."

"Today is a great day for all New Yorkers," said Council Member Julissa Ferreras, Chair of the Committee on Finance. "Our great city has long celebrated its heritage as a gateway to the American dream for so many people who leave their homeland in search of a better way of life. Mayor de Blasio's signing of the municipal ID bill marks a great stride toward helping all undocumented residents achieve this dream. As the daughter of immigrants, I am proud to see a day where thousands of our undocumented residents will no longer have to live in the shadows, fearing to come forward to receive the many public benefits our great City has to offer. I applaud Mayor de Blasio and my colleagues in the City Council for championing this piece of legislation. Our collective efforts have, at long last, paved the way to equal access of safe and secure identification amongst all New Yorkers, regardless of their immigration status."

Municipal ID will be an accessible and safe document that will ensure access to City services and grant admission to all municipal buildings. The City is also working toward having the ID be recognized by banks, as well as connecting the ID with stores, restaurants, cultural institutions, discounts and other incentive programs. The City will continue to expand and improve upon the municipal ID card program and benefits after the launch date.

To ensure broad and easy accessibility, the City will establish walk-in enrollment centers in trusted community institutions around the boroughs, and will post the application online for applicants to complete it prior to visiting a walk-in center. In addition, the City will create mobile enrollment units that can travel to neighborhoods that do not have walk-in centers. The City will also ensure that the outreach and application processes are accessible to people with limited English proficiency and people with disabilities.

The City will protect the confidentiality of all municipal ID card applications, and will not ask applicants about their immigration status.

The raging and gnashing of teeth has already begun.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

You realize half the suit is "no but really, we don't need anyone with standing, trust us" right?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

How is it good, do you legitimately believe he overstepped his bounds by giving an agency he was at the top of the chain of an order?

The core structure of the ACA is that everybody has insurance. Everybody is required to have insurance or pay a penalty tax, but most employers must provide insurance, and many people get subsidies. HHS has only knocked over one of the pillars, and surprise surprise, it's the one that benefits big business.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
And so it begins...... (again)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ThirdPartyView posted:

:eng101: 2017, at least.

Nahh, November 9'th he's going to start hot boxing the oval office and then be all "states rights mother fuckers".

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Edmund Lava posted:

In other immigration news NYC will start issuing municipal IDs to all residents

http://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-mayor/news/345-14/mayor-de-blasio-signs-legislation-create-municipal-id-card#/0

The raging and gnashing of teeth has already begun.
With the exception of his appointment of Bill Bratton as NYPD chief (you might remember him as holding the same position under Giuliani and instituting crackdowns on a different petty crime every couple of weeks- a practice he's doing again), I loving love Bill de Blasio. He's done some good things like institute 5 days of sick leave for everyone living and working in NYC, and he'll push for expanded living wage laws with a similarly progressive City Council. Also there's stuff like this that makes Fox News types poo poo blood. Man, if they thought they hated Bloomberg....

Edit: I should mention it's not just the right that won't like this. The New York Civil Liberties Union has some problems with it, mainly on the law enforcement side of things.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 11, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

And so it begins...... (again)

Just wait til we get this movement up to 88 mph...

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Y-Hat posted:

With the exception of his appointment of Bill Bratton as NYPD chief (you might remember him as holding the same position under Giuliani and instituting crackdowns on a different petty crime every couple of weeks- a practice he's doing again), I loving love Bill de Blasio. He's done some good things like institute 5 days of sick leave for everyone living and working in NYC, and he'll push for expanded living wage laws with a similarly progressive City Council. Also there's stuff like this that makes Fox News types poo poo blood. Man, if they thought they hated Bloomberg....

Edit: I should mention it's not just the right that won't like this. The New York Civil Liberties Union has some problems with it, mainly on the law enforcement side of things.

He also caved on the charter schools, let LICH close, kept the schools open during the blizzard against better advice, and eats pizza with a fork.

I've been pretty disappointed with him so far but if he gets this and universal pre-K up I'll defend him to the end.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Edmund Lava posted:

He also caved on the charter schools, let LICH close, kept the schools open during the blizzard against better advice, and eats pizza with a fork.

History's greatest monster.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Dude, sometimes a man just does not want to get grease all over his hands.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Spatula City posted:

Dude, sometimes a man just does not want to get grease all over his hands.

Obviously you don't live in NYC.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Don't forget endorsing "Democratic" senators Jeff Klein and Tony Avella for renomination.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

DynamicSloth posted:

Can the House actually appropriate the money to pay lawyers to sue the President without the consent of the Senate?

If they can afford to spend thousands of dollars to have the House read the Constitution aloud, they can sue the President.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

So I'm starting to look into the possibility of volunteering for my local branch of the democratic party since having the RNC coming in two years has kind of lit a fire underneath me. Any suggestions as to which organization I should be helping out, exactly? What would that volunteer work entail, since I've never done that sort of thing before? Would I be going door to door with flyers, manning a call center, organizing files, what?

Also, Ohio goons, what's the consensus on Ed Fitzgerald? I'm also considering volunteering on his campaign since for the most part he seems like a good egg. Is there any massive, damning part of his history that I've missed or anything?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

haveblue posted:

Obviously you don't live in NYC.

I've lived on the East Coast, West Coast, and Midwest and I've never lived in an area where people eat pizza with a fork. I think it's just a scattering of freaks and perverts.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Goddamnit, don't bring foodchat back. Those always ruined the earlier threads, also no one cares how you eat pizza.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Boom goes the dynamite

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/10/florida-redistricting-gop_n_5576319.html

quote:

The Florida Legislature illegally redrew boundaries defining congressional districts to benefit the Republican Party, a circuit court judge ruled Thursday.

The League of Women Voters, along with a coalition of voters, challenged the state's Republican-controlled Legislature after it redrew congressional district lines in 2012, suggesting boundaries were manipulated to benefit GOP candidates. Circuit Judge Terry Lewis, in a hard-hitting, 41-page ruling Thursday, accused political consultants of making "a mockery of the Legislature's transparent and open process of redistricting." The judge said the state's 5th Congressional District, held by Rep. Corrine Brown (D), and 10th Congressional District, held by Dan Webster (R), must be redrawn. Districts affected by the adjustments also will need to be redrawn.

The political consultants "were successful in their efforts to influence the redistricting process and the congressional plan under review here,'' Lewis wrote in the ruling. "And they might have successfully concealed their scheme and their actions from the public had it not been for the Plaintiffs determined efforts to uncover it in this case."

Lewis said legislative leaders may have been unaware of the scheme to benefit Republicans. The judge added that he found legislative staffers involved in remapping the districts "straightforward, frank and credible."

Court documents filed in December revealed that many of the Legislature's redistricting records, including emails and other documents, were destroyed.

"There is no legal duty on the part of the Legislature to preserve these records, but you have to wonder why they didn't,'' Lewis wrote of the erased files. "Litigation over their plans was 'a moral certainty' as their lawyers put it earlier in the case, and intent would be a key issue in any challenge."

So the question is whether this ruling can be used in other states.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Or rather keep it quarantined in the chat thread. That's why we have it.

e:

quote:

There is no legal duty on the part of the Legislature to preserve these records,...

That's kind of surprising. I thought records retention requirements, especially with government, was a pretty universal thing.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 11, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Boom goes the dynamite

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/10/florida-redistricting-gop_n_5576319.html

So the question is whether this ruling can be used in other states.
It's a circuit court ruling, so I'm not sure if it's applicable on a national scale. The legislature seems intent to appeal the ruling though, and if the ruling is confirmed at a higher court, then we might have something to talk about.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

InequalityGodzilla posted:

So I'm starting to look into the possibility of volunteering for my local branch of the democratic party since having the RNC coming in two years has kind of lit a fire underneath me. Any suggestions as to which organization I should be helping out, exactly? What would that volunteer work entail, since I've never done that sort of thing before? Would I be going door to door with flyers, manning a call center, organizing files, what?

Also, Ohio goons, what's the consensus on Ed Fitzgerald? I'm also considering volunteering on his campaign since for the most part he seems like a good egg. Is there any massive, damning part of his history that I've missed or anything?

Do you think your RNC will be as fun as our RNC was here in Minnesota? If not, you could always help make it that way. :unsmigghh:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

JT Jag posted:

It's a circuit court ruling, so I'm not sure if it's applicable on a national scale. The legislature seems intent to appeal the ruling though, and if the ruling is confirmed at a higher court, then we might have something to talk about.

state circuit, not federal circuit

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

state circuit, not federal circuit
That's what I meant. But they're appealing, possibly to a federal court, which might make the ruling nationally relevant.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

JT Jag posted:

That's what I meant. But they're appealing, possibly to a federal court, which might make the ruling nationally relevant.

Florida goes circuit->district->supreme

this ain't poo poo

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Florida specifically prohibits favoring a political party with the redistricting. I was under the impression that the states that were blatant about it did not have these provisions. Is this sort of law / constitutional clause common?

No plan or individual district may be drawn with the intent to favor or disfavor a political party or incumbent. [Fla. Const. art. III, §§ 20(a), 21(a)]

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Devor posted:

Florida specifically prohibits favoring a political party with the redistricting. I was under the impression that the states that were blatant about it did not have these provisions. Is this sort of law / constitutional clause common?

No plan or individual district may be drawn with the intent to favor or disfavor a political party or incumbent. [Fla. Const. art. III, §§ 20(a), 21(a)]

Phew, it just affects Florida. Honestly any court cases that could make it up the chain to SCOTUS are pretty dangerous these days.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Cheekio posted:

Phew, it just affects Florida. Honestly any court cases that could make it up the chain to SCOTUS are pretty dangerous these days.

Yeah, if this went up to SCOTUS they'd probably rule that all redistricting is REQUIRED to favor specific incumbents.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Devor posted:

Yeah, this lawsuit is all thanks to a state constitutional amendment that was passed a few years ago. It'll only go as far as Florida, but that in itself is still pretty significant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Devor posted:

In a reasonable world, this would be an amendment to the US Constitution. Or at least a federal law.

Making majority-minority districts legal kind of opened a Pandora's Box.

• Locked thread