Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Aside from the image caching sensitivity, it seems like there's a new bug introduced with this update which occasionally causes threads to load the correct number of post cells, but leave them unpopulated. Unfortunately I have only seen it happen twice so far, and haven't found a reliable replication strategy for the bug. Anyone else notice this (or why?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I just restored my phone, and I cannot log in. Is it because my password is 32 characters? Even worse, I tried to change it to a 18 character on my computer, but the site kept telling me my new one (a generated one with all the requirements) didn't fit the criteria.

Edit: Reinstalling didn't work, but reinstalling a second time did. Disregard.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 4, 2014

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Can you add sending images to the Safari Reading List?

At the moment I can add it to photos, copy the URL, or copy the image. I don't like any of these.

Thanks all

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
When I look at Peta's QCS threads on the app his name is still in 2D.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Aside from the image caching sensitivity, it seems like there's a new bug introduced with this update which occasionally causes threads to load the correct number of post cells, but leave them unpopulated. Unfortunately I have only seen it happen twice so far, and haven't found a reliable replication strategy for the bug. Anyone else notice this (or why?)

I see this in PYF on my desktop when imgur kicks the bucket for a few minutes/an hour. Have you tried going back and viewing those posts again, or quoting the posts to see if it's just an image?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

fronz posted:

When I look at Peta's QCS threads on the app his name is still in 2D.

Works for me:

Are you on the most recent version (though it's been in there for a few versions now).

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FreshFeesh posted:

I see this in PYF on my desktop when imgur kicks the bucket for a few minutes/an hour. Have you tried going back and viewing those posts again, or quoting the posts to see if it's just an image?

No, this was in a couple of D&D threads that usually have text in them. By "failed to load text into the template" I meant that even poster names and post times were blank, so it was something more fundamental than imgur being down.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

theadder posted:

Can you add sending images to the Safari Reading List?

At the moment I can add it to photos, copy the URL, or copy the image. I don't like any of these.

It never even occurred to me that you could do that. I'll add it to the list!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

No, this was in a couple of D&D threads that usually have text in them. By "failed to load text into the template" I meant that even poster names and post times were blank, so it was something more fundamental than imgur being down.

That's a new one to me. Can you catch a screenshot of it? There's a few things that might be going wrong here and seeing the end result will narrow that list down considerably.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Diabolik900 posted:

Works for me:

Are you on the most recent version (though it's been in there for a few versions now).

Thanks, I wasn't. Unfortunately it seems the mods are trying to stop the 3D browsing revolution, so it's good to see that the awful app developers are being proactive in bringing it about.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pokeyman posted:

It never even occurred to me that you could do that. I'll add it to the list!

It adds it directly on to the list. It's pretty great. Thanks.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

pokeyman posted:

That's a new one to me. Can you catch a screenshot of it? There's a few things that might be going wrong here and seeing the end result will narrow that list down considerably.

I haven't seen it since my first post about it but I was planning on getting a screenshot if it happens again.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I haven't seen it since my first post about it but I was planning on getting a screenshot if it happens again.

Excellent, thanks.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

pokeyman posted:

Excellent, thanks.

Speak of the devil, just had it pop up when bringing Awful back to the foreground after (probably) locking my screen and (definitely) putting it on the charger.

In short, I got a brief flicker of something in the TV buying thread (possibly a cached image), and then, instead of my latest post (which may not have rendered/finished loading after making it just before I had put my phone in my pocket, possibly locking it):

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Speak of the devil, just had it pop up when bringing Awful back to the foreground after (probably) locking my screen and (definitely) putting it on the charger.

In short, I got a brief flicker of something in the TV buying thread (possibly a cached image), and then, instead of my latest post (which may not have rendered/finished loading after making it just before I had put my phone in my pocket, possibly locking it):

That's beautiful.

I'll throw it on the list!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

pokeyman posted:

That's beautiful.

I'll throw it on the list!

Just as a followup, based on another recent incident, it likely seems to depend on switching away from the app while a thread is loading and then switching back. Perhaps a change in behavior of an NSURLConnection delegate (or the equivalent) when an open connection is backgrounded?

EDIT: Yes, backgrounding seems to be related. I managed to reproduce this again when paging away for a second after posting this while it was still reloading the thread.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 7, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Just as a followup, based on another recent incident, it likely seems to depend on switching away from the app while a thread is loading and then switching back. Perhaps a change in behavior of an NSURLConnection delegate (or the equivalent) when an open connection is backgrounded?

EDIT: Yes, backgrounding seems to be related. I managed to reproduce this again when paging away for a second after posting this while it was still reloading the thread.

Good detective work, that sounds like a great lead to track this down. I'm gaining some hope!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
The app keeps crashing. I haven't noticed any obvious pattern except it's usually while I'm scrolling. Whenever it crashes it also forgets anything I've read recently (the last couple of threads have their last read position reset to an earlier state).

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

pokeyman posted:

Good detective work, that sounds like a great lead to track this down. I'm gaining some hope!

A final note on reproducibility:

I've now had fairly good luck (>75-80%) reproducing the bug (or a closely related one) as follows:

1. Open a previously unread thread (or a thread with unread posts in it)
2. When the loading indicator in the OS time/status bar (next to the cell/wifi status) disappears, but the "Loading" pinwheel is still spinning in the body of the app, immediately background the app (by, for example, going to the home screen)
3. Return to Awful. The "Loading" pinwheel should be frozen for several seconds before being replaced by the thread (although I have occasionally seen it still spin, perhaps if the app is backgrounded very soon after the loading indicator disappears?). Any previously unread posts will then appear blank while any previously read posts will appear normally.

This does not appear to work on pages containing previously read (presumably cached) posts. Backgrounding while the status bar loading indicator is visible also does not have the same effect (it will reload the page successfully before rendering)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

The app keeps crashing. I haven't noticed any obvious pattern except it's usually while I'm scrolling. Whenever it crashes it also forgets anything I've read recently (the last couple of threads have their last read position reset to an earlier state).

I fixed a few crashing bugs for the next version, though there's certainly a few more to go. The logs should get uploaded automatically, so we should get to it sometime.

If more of a pattern starts to emerge, definitely check back in. Or if it seems to be fixed :)

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Is anyone else having an issue where pictures sometimes load at a very small size? It's not every picture, but it's a lot of them, and I can't click (okay, tap) on them or anything to make them size. If they're quoted, they seem to be normal size, though.

ClydeUmney fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 11, 2014

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ClydeUmney posted:

Is anyone else having an issue where pictures sometimes load at a very small size? It's not every picture, but it's a lot of them, and I can't click (okay, tap) on them or anything to make them size. If they're quoted, they seem to be normal size, though.

Yes, I get that problem.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Embedded Youtube videos just started giving me a dropdown menu about HTML5 in the center of the frame when I start them. Anyone else run into that?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ClydeUmney posted:

This is related to our attempts to lazily load images as you scroll them into view. It's fixed in the next version.

JazzFlight posted:

Embedded Youtube videos just started giving me a dropdown menu about HTML5 in the center of the frame when I start them. Anyone else run into that?

Just saw it today for the first time. No idea what's going on there but I'll take a look.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

ClydeUmney posted:

Funny, I'd never seen this before you posted that but I just got this too.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

JazzFlight posted:

Just loaded an article within Feedly and the same thing happened to an embedded video there.
Typical Youtube loving around and breaking things web-wide.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

Just loaded an article within Feedly and the same thing happened to an embedded video there.
Typical Youtube loving around and breaking things web-wide.

Good to know! I'll keep it on the list and check back in a week to see if it's still busted.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ClydeUmney posted:

Until Apple approves the next version, you can long-press to open the image by itself. Sorry, was a dumb bug.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

JazzFlight posted:

Btw, Youtube fixed this in the past day or so. It was affecting all mobile devices, not just iOS.

Edit: Also, thanks for the update, all! Images seem fixed now (no randomly small boxes or loading problems).

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 13, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

Btw, Youtube fixed this in the past day or so. It was affecting all mobile devices, not just iOS.

Excellent. Awful does very little magic with youtube embeds so, while it's certainly possible I've hosed something up, I tend to assume it'll magically fix itself.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I don't know whether you've fixed the new image loading code or just rolled it back to how it was before, but either way it's behaving itself again since the latest update, so thank you for that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Soricidus posted:

I don't know whether you've fixed the new image loading code or just rolled it back to how it was before, but either way it's behaving itself again since the latest update, so thank you for that.

Removed my damage, yeah. We'll see what we get in iOS 8, since I'm not brave enough to risk Pokeyman's wrath with iScroll.

Feature thoughts:
- find in page
- google-this-thread-for-<text field>

? I find myself laboriously scanning long OPs or pages of posts to find the thing I care about. We could have the Google results in a webview and then clicks to the somethingawful links would go to the posts in question

I guess there's also simply capturing Google searches over SA itself, as a substitute for hooks into search proper.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

- find in page

I like this.

quote:

- google-this-thread-for-<text field>

This I don't quite get. There's been a general "Search" feature request since pretty much day 0, and falling back to a Google search if SA search is unavailable would make sense. Is that what you had in mind?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

This I don't quite get. There's been a general "Search" feature request since pretty much day 0, and falling back to a Google search if SA search is unavailable would make sense. Is that what you had in mind?

I mean in lieu of search, at least for the time bring. My understanding was that there was some technical impediment to forum search? (TBH, google's ranking is often much more useful than the forums', and being able to use their richer operators is nice too.)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I mean in lieu of search, at least for the time bring. My understanding was that there was some technical impediment to forum search? (TBH, google's ranking is often much more useful than the forums', and being able to use their richer operators is nice too.)

No technical impediment, just :effort:. We even have a shiny mockup from awhile ago: .

Is search restricted to people with plat?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

in post/reply/edit screen. tap and hold text -> select -> drag selection box upward -> screen will not scroll, just jitters spastically -> now my penis is soft

This seems to be a side effect of my attempts to work around the iOS 7 text view bugs. I think it's fixed in iOS 8, and I'm not dying to dig into UITextView and try to figure out what the gently caress is going on, so I'm afraid you're stuck with just scrolling up and adjusting the range a screen at a time. Sorry.

(Dev note: I've tried out pretty much all of the snippets that claim to "fix" UITextView in iOS 7. None of them were comprehensive, so we're left with a couple tasty condiments on the poo poo sandwich that is UITextView on iOS 7.)

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Checking in:

It seems unable to cope with an image that is also a URL.

This is the post that does it:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3201527&perpage=40&pagenumber=3571#post432162955

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That is entirely believable! I'll try to fix it up for the next version.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
Re search: find-on-current-page would be great, find-in-current-thread would be even better. I don't think I use forums search for anything else, other than the occasional post history.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pokeyman posted:

That is entirely believable! I'll try to fix it up for the next version.

Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I wish SA itself did find-in-thread for a bunch of the threads I read.

• Locked thread