Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Guess daddy kicked the bucket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Internet Kraken posted:

Jesus christ gaits are confusing as hell. Has anyone figured out exactly how they work? Toady's explanation in the raw files doesn't explain much.

Here's what I got out of the explanation in c_variation_default:

Argument 1: Basic speed
Arg 2: Fast speed, and the speed that Faster and Fastest start at
Arg 3: Faster speed, needs 5 tiles(?) to reach max
Arg 4: Fastest speed, needs 10 tiles(?) to reach max
Arg 5: Slower speed
Arg 6: Slowest speed

Top 3 speeds are slowed by being stealthy, being fat, or being muscular, but are also increased by Strength and Agility. Fast uses 5 energy, Faster 10, and Fastest 50, whatever those correlate to. So the 4th argument governs top speed, which I take as meaning 8775 is 1 kph, 878 is 10 kph, and 100 is 87 kph which is definitely not linear. With the old [SPEED] gone, I guess speed of attack/work is governed completely by attributes and skill?

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 11, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't figure out what the !ARG parts of the gait are supposed to be. According to the example Toady left it is supposed to represent top speed but I have no clue how. I mean how am I supposed to now how fast 10 is without any point of reference.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pokeylope posted:

Have you got a seed or a save for this? How did it happen? I wanna play on it so bad.

I just did a standard worldgen on a medium world and it ended up being one of the continents. It's so bizarrely North America shaped that it's hard to believe it happened by coincidence, but if so, it's a testament to the quality of DF's worldgen.

I do have the save (on my work computer) and I'd be happy to share it tomorrow, provided I remember, but it won't be compatible with the latest version.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I can't figure out what the !ARG parts of the gait are supposed to be. According to the example Toady left it is supposed to represent top speed but I have no clue how. I mean how am I supposed to now how fast 10 is without any point of reference.

The sprint number/top speed doesn't fit any good curve, so I'm not sure how they're derived. For my monsters I just copied them from the vanilla creature that it most closely resembled as a start.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I genned a new world in the latest fix release, Medium with a 550-year history, and loving everyone is a necromancer. There are more than 26,000 books in the artifact list. There are vast urban sprawls of towers each inhabited by hundreds of necromancers. There are towns and villages populated entirely by necromancers, wars waged between groups of necromancers...this world is metal as gently caress.

Also, my chosen 'dwarf' civilization's outpost liason and diplomat are both goblins, the majority of the population are goblins, and the nobility from the king on down consists almost entirely of immortal necromancers.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Just got my first wave of immigrants and I am reminded of how badly I need Dwarf Therapist.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

How the hell do you get out of the underground from a generated dwarf fort in adventure more? I've been wandering around tunnels for ages.

I did kill a cave crocodile and was surrounded by troglodytes frozen in terror though.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Just got my first wave of immigrants and I am reminded of how badly I need Dwarf Therapist.

Yeah, dealing with migrants sucks but with the amount of dumb brute-forcing necessary in DF for almost anything, I can get along with it.

1) Migrants arrive, holy poo poo I hope the next 20 minutes are free
2) Select the first fucker, disable any dumb labors, assign as needed
2a) In my forts this means 90% of migrants are Stone Detailers or Masons (to build walls/whatever, workshops are for Proficient and better)
3) Resume for about 10 frames, oh look there's another dude who popped up on the map edge. Repeat.

Dwarf therapist is obviously superior but vanilla migrant management doesn't make me rage out and break keyboards or anything. After all, violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Malcolm posted:

Yeah, dealing with migrants sucks but with the amount of dumb brute-forcing necessary in DF for almost anything, I can get along with it.

1) Migrants arrive, holy poo poo I hope the next 20 minutes are free
2) Select the first fucker, disable any dumb labors, assign as needed
2a) In my forts this means 90% of migrants are Stone Detailers or Masons (to build walls/whatever, workshops are for Proficient and better)
3) Resume for about 10 frames, oh look there's another dude who popped up on the map edge. Repeat.

Dwarf therapist is obviously superior but vanilla migrant management doesn't make me rage out and break keyboards or anything. After all, violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Part of it is also trying to remember whether "skilled" is greater than "accomplished" so I have the best dude making armor and stuff.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Very true, I don't have the 15(?) levels of proficiency memorized, so I generally set my workshops (P)rofile to only allow level 5+ or so to work there. Eventually they'll be legendary! Weaponsmith and Armorsmith need not apply since you want the very best, for those you either have to custom-name your dwarves, or write down which Urist likes making swords.

e: Anyone like to play with nanofortress? I checked the Bay12 forums but I didn't see any current development, the threads I saw were silent. I think it's fun to play a 1x4 or even a 1x1 embark fort once in a while, Toady really should just open it up and allow 1x1 embarks.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is it possible to take a dwarf in a fort and go adventuring with that dwarf?

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Moridin920 posted:

Is it possible to take a dwarf in a fort and go adventuring with that dwarf?

I don't think so, as of now. I know military expeditions are Something That Toady One Has Planned which means come back in three years and see how it's going.

If you could, though... danger room for their entire life, take them adventuring. Kill the world.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That's what I wanted to do :negative:

Found a cult fortress designed to bring forth a champion to destroy all others.

I can do it once DFhack is updated I guess.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I haven't gotten it to go without crashing long enough to do it myself, but since you can retire/unretire forts, you could probably take your adventurer to a retired fort, retire the adventurer, unretire the fort and play until your adventurer is where you want, then presumably retire the fort and unretire the adventurer.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

GorfZaplen posted:

I started up with a retired adventurer and every so often they'll randomly move around, start conversations and end them with "It's beyond my control" :stare:

Idea: Twitch Plays DF Adventure Mode

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I remember making this over a year and a half ago:

Also, one of my starting seven dwarves went missing a week into the expedition. Meanwhile, the leader is sitting in a tree and I've got another dwarf sleeping off a broken arm.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I don't think I can play fortress mode until dwarves compulsively injuring themselves on trees is fixed. I know there are workarounds, but they're kind of a pain in the rear end.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't think I can play fortress mode until dwarves compulsively injuring themselves on trees is fixed. I know there are workarounds, but they're kind of a pain in the rear end.

It's not their fault, they've just never seen them before and are curious.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

PublicOpinion posted:

Top 3 speeds are slowed by being stealthy, being fat, or being muscular, but are also increased by Strength and Agility. Fast uses 5 energy, Faster 10, and Fastest 50, whatever those correlate to. So the 4th argument governs top speed, which I take as meaning 8775 is 1 kph, 878 is 10 kph, and 100 is 87 kph which is definitely not linear. With the old [SPEED] gone, I guess speed of attack/work is governed completely by attributes and skill?

It's not? If those numbers you gave are correct, it's pretty clearly given in time units to move one distance unit.

If we assume (yanking units out of my rear end because I have no idea what DF uses internally) that 8775 time-units == 1 hour, then speed is given in time-units per kilometer. 8775/8775 == 1 kph, 8775/878 == 10 kph, 8775/100 == 87 kph.

If you wanted something with a top speed of 150kph, (8775/??? == 150kph) => (8775/150 == 59) time-units per kilometer.

(A speed value of 1 would give it a speed of 8775kph or about 2.4km/s, for one frame until it runs into a tree and explodes.)

nudipedalia
May 29, 2008

Malcolm posted:

Very true, I don't have the 15(?) levels of proficiency memorized, so I generally set my workshops (P)rofile to only allow level 5+ or so to work there. Eventually they'll be legendary! Weaponsmith and Armorsmith need not apply since you want the very best, for those you either have to custom-name your dwarves, or write down which Urist likes making swords.

e: Anyone like to play with nanofortress? I checked the Bay12 forums but I didn't see any current development, the threads I saw were silent. I think it's fun to play a 1x4 or even a 1x1 embark fort once in a while, Toady really should just open it up and allow 1x1 embarks.

Nanofortress and embark anywhere got rolled somewhere in dfhack as embark-tools. If you can get a teleport script to work you can do almost anything.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus whips are ridiculously deadly compared to this battleaxe I've been using. Untrained, I wrestled a copper whip off a goblin chief then I murdered the half dozen goblins around me with a single lash to the head each.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Whips are pretty much the lightsabers of dwarf fortress. A copper whip can kill a dwarf fully encased in steel.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
How does one make a metal whip?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lord Windy posted:

Chains? With lots of spikes? Who knows?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Lord Windy posted:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Heh, if you've got zero kills to your name and brag about your past violence acts you'll claim you're defeated many fearsome opponents.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Neurion posted:

Heh, if you've got zero kills to your name and brag about your past violence acts you'll claim you're defeated many fearsome opponents.

I've defeated many fearsome opponents! None of which I can name off the top of my head, there were just SO MANY

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

People were saying that even sieges were bizarrely non-combative. I reclaimed a world-gen fort and had a siege show up in the first summer, and while one of the attackers did get a bit freaked out when the leader murdered the livestock the gobs had no problem running the dwarves to ground and murdering them.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

nudipedalia posted:

Nanofortress and embark anywhere got rolled somewhere in dfhack as embark-tools. If you can get a teleport script to work you can do almost anything.

Thanks, I did not know this.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
More advanture mode quirks/blurbs.

- Non-lethal is very much "non-lethal", as people will kick you to dead if they knock you out. You have to "y"eild to stop a Lethal or Non-lethal attacker from killing you, and if youre unconscious, well, that's not yeilding enough.

- Met some bandits. I told them to offer my group tribute. The leader says no. I regale him with tales of the things and people I have killed, including his underlings. Then I ask him again. He says yes.

- Had the glitch where an adventurer you unretire keeps their AI personality. 'l'ooking at yourself gives you your own name twice. My dude decided to hang out in a bar and start an insurrection with a drunk goblin for some reason.

- Found a ruined temple where the worlds only hill titan was last seen. Once I got there, a bunch of stuff fell over. I found the titan, and the titan's head a good distance away. Somewhat anticlimatic.

- I went into a hall and tossed the head into the middle of it, and announced the creature's death. For some reason a child immediately hulked out at nobody in particular while declaring "it is for the best". Apparently the titan had killed his grandpa.

- Having your bone chipped is still outrageously painful. Nose chopped off? Eh.

- I cut off a zombie's head and he responded by stabbing my leg, chipping a bone through my bronze greaves, before stabbing my head and killing me when I passed out immediately. Zombies are kind of assholes, and don't give a gently caress about being blind I guess.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

- Found a ruined temple where the worlds only hill titan was last seen. Once I got there, a bunch of stuff fell over. I found the titan, and the titan's head a good distance away. Somewhat anticlimatic.

I'm two for two on titan shrines having a big collapse as soon as I get there, though both of them survived their respective housing crises mostly unscathed. One of those titans was a giant earthworm with wings, and boy howdy did that thing take a beating. When a giant thing only has three body parts I guess those body parts are also really drat huge, and the silver axe I had could barely pierce the skin. The one that was an icy humanoid was much easier to kill by repeatedly striking its icy neck after breaking off one of its feet.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mister Bates posted:

I genned a new world in the latest fix release, Medium with a 550-year history, and loving everyone is a necromancer. There are more than 26,000 books in the artifact list. There are vast urban sprawls of towers each inhabited by hundreds of necromancers. There are towns and villages populated entirely by necromancers, wars waged between groups of necromancers...this world is metal as gently caress.

Also, my chosen 'dwarf' civilization's outpost liason and diplomat are both goblins, the majority of the population are goblins, and the nobility from the king on down consists almost entirely of immortal necromancers.

I'm pretty sure this is a bug or a result of the very simplistic invasion resolution in the current build, but I really like the idea that Necromancers are the inevitable end of every world. Necromancers are basically immortal and their armies grow exponentially, and new Necromancers pop up all the time. I imagine in the late days of the world the landscape would just be vast expanses of blight with Necromancers warring with each other for territory and fresh corpses, divvying up the few remaining human and dwarf kingdoms in the last feast of a dying world. When the world finally enters the age of death the only things left are Necromancers stuck in torpor while their millions of zombies just roam the world aimlessly.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Last adventurer just died. A demigod dwarf, he:
1. Escaped a labyrinthine fortress, past all of the anvilthrones
2. Teamed up with the only militaryman in the nearby town, inexplicably a human spearman
3. Drank half of a river and ate most of a camel
4. Came upon some Dark Pits or some such
5. Got shot at by many goblins, all of whom missed
6. Fought a goblin lasher and pikemen, both easily dispatched
7. Got iron-piked to death by an angry elf with a philosophy degree, wearing full iron armor.

The civ mingling is messing with me.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I killed an ettin by beating it to death and butchered it.

It gave me 222 pieces of meat, 222 bones, 4 eyes, and 18 brains.

Where do ettins keep all of their extra brains?

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Started a peasant, spent an hour in the wilderness beating on animals with a hammer to build my skills, used the tales of my slaughter to convince local warriors to join me in a quest to slay a minotaur. It ended shortly after we disemarked, when we encountered a night creature and the game crashed. Never even got to try my honed warrior skills.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You are a faithful worshipper of The Competitive Webs, the goddess of dreams, suicide, death, war, and fortresses.

:catstare:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moridin920 posted:

You are a faithful worshipper of The Competitive Webs, the goddess of dreams, suicide, death, war, and fortresses.

:catstare:

That sounds like pretty much the most Dwarf Fortress a god can be, really. All of those things pop up in the best fortresses.

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
I got sieged by some undead in the first year of a fort. It was a mix of 12 elf and goblin corpses of various non-combat professions. They climbed the trees right at the edge of the map and have been hanging out there ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Hmm I think it might be time to try this out again. Is it still easy to add your own custom races? My fondest memories of DF are being sieged by dudes in iron masks and loincloths and dumping them in pits full of chained up alligators. Or drafting your uberdwarf legendary engraver into the military, training him up in wrestling and letting him rip.