Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The one thing I'll say about Florida is that the daily thunderstorms tend to keep the heat from building up too much; we're at about a constant 90F/32C high all this week, albeit at 77% humidity.

Then again, it's loving awesome when it's bright and sunny until about 3pm, then a storm dumps rain on pavement that's been baking all day. Rain stops after about 15 minutes later, and all that moisture flashes to steam and goes right back into the air -- so now it's a few degrees cooler, but 100% humidity!

You know it's gonna be a bad day when you go outside and you can see the haze in the air. You can see about a mile farther during winter when the air is dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Now my brain hurts from reading this.

I dont understand the whole rolling coal, or hella flush, or rice, or any of the trends (though I do like low riders - but these people actually put some effort into their rides). What I do know is that that a giant majority of the mods do nothing in return for all the work. Some people claim "INDIVIDUALITY!", but you end up looking like the rest of the morons. But rolling coal is just stupid and a giant waste of fuel. But if you have money to piss away on $4.00 gallon diesel, by all means, piss your money away.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Note that every one of those trucks has ugly rear end powder-coated painted rims with low-profile offroad tires.

Low-profile offroad tires.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
My supermoto rolls coal!

and smells like bacon :3:

there was some fuckwit in a ratty as gently caress 5.2/5.9 powered 90s dodge pickup that floor'd his throttle as he drove by me yesterday when I was out riding my bicycle.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Supermoto is bad rear end, because its burning its oil with its gas :glomp:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
#1 Son finally got his goddamn Fiero out of my yard.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
For those of you that change your own oil, where do you get your oil from? I spend close to $40 to get it done which isnt bad since I need extra oil and I refuse to go to one of those cheap chain shops but Im sure I can spend almost half that if I do it myself.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cage posted:

For those of you that change your own oil, where do you get your oil from? I spend close to $40 to get it done which isnt bad since I need extra oil and I refuse to go to one of those cheap chain shops but Im sure I can spend almost half that if I do it myself.
I run Rotella T6 in nearly everything I own except the M3, that gets Unicorn tears and buy the gallon jugs at Wal-Mart or wherever has the best price at the time. Usually around $20 for a gallon. I buy filters in bulk on Amazon or eBay.

Welp so much for my weekend in Berlin plans. In the 3 hours it took me to drive here the other site went "hyper critical" so now I have to head back tomorrow morning and stick around in case they need more help over the weekend. Knew I should have done the Berlin Museums a few weekends ago.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 10, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cage posted:

Wherever has an offer on for decent oil, wherever is cheapest for the "couldn't care less and it's going to fall back out again over the next 500 miles" end of the spectrum.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Cage posted:

I use Rotella T6 on both my cars and get it from Walmart because they have by far the lowest price on it (I hate giving them my business, though, so if someone knows of a cheaper place, please tell me).

Costco has good deals on some generic Chevron oil and MobilOne111!!!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Cage posted:

I hate Walmart, but I will buy my oil there. $16 for Castrol 10w40 + $3.60 filter off RockAuto = better then any of the $26 house brand oil+ equally crappy filter deals most the parts stores around here offer.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I found a working Acer Aspire One 160gb netbook and charger and some speakers in the dumpster last night. It was with a big load of other stuff that looked like an apartment clearout and I just happened to notice it peeking out. Fresh install of XP, nothing on it at all.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You'd figure the maintenance dudes clearing out the apartment would be all for keeping that. I know I would. Hell of a good find though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I run whatever cheapest (mobil delo400/rotella) diesel 15-40 in all of my poo poo.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Never heard of Rotella but that's probably because I haven't changed my oil in 10 years. I guess Im going to walmart on my way home.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

13 INCH DICK posted:

I found a working Acer Aspire One 160gb netbook and charger and some speakers in the dumpster last night. It was with a big load of other stuff that looked like an apartment clearout and I just happened to notice it peeking out. Fresh install of XP, nothing on it at all.

That name.

Did you create that account or was it already on there?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Another wal-mart oil shopper here. Unless I'm at AutoZone for something else. Speaking of, this weekend it's time to change the oil and rear diff oil on the g35. I'm already cringing because I don't think the rear end has ever been changed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Netbooks make the best garage machines. My 1000HE may be old and slow, but it's still good enough to pull up PDFs / play Google music / surf Autozone and Rockauto, while being lovely enough that who cares if it gets greasy.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Cage posted:

Never heard of Rotella but that's probably because I haven't changed my oil in 10 years. I guess Im going to walmart on my way home.

Shell Rotella T is designed as a diesel oil, a plain ol dino oil and has a shitload of detergents in it. Works well with motors with flat tappets in them (Rover V8s, Porsche 944, others). Then there is the Shell Rotella T synthetic, which every one seems to like pretty well, and its reasonable in price.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

13 INCH DICK posted:

I found a working Acer Aspire One 160gb netbook and charger and some speakers in the dumpster last night.

Those are pretty tough ish. We have two at work, getting used outside in the rain all the time. One keyboard died after being used outside in the rain for over an hour, another got dropped completely underwater while switched on... fine aside from a few stains on the screen and a dead batter. Stole the battery from the one with a dead KB and it's still going two years later.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Netbooks make the best garage machines. My 1000HE may be old and slow, but it's still good enough to pull up PDFs / play Google music / surf Autozone and Rockauto, while being lovely enough that who cares if it gets greasy.

I really need to pick up a new laptop so I have an excuse to make my current (~five year old) laptop a garage laptop. It's too old to run any newer games, but it'd still work great for looking at shop manual PDFs and such. Every garage needs a garage laptop.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Fucknag posted:

The one thing I'll say about Florida is that the daily thunderstorms tend to keep the heat from building up too much; we're at about a constant 90F/32C high all this week, albeit at 77% humidity.

Then again, it's loving awesome when it's bright and sunny until about 3pm, then a storm dumps rain on pavement that's been baking all day. Rain stops after about 15 minutes later, and all that moisture flashes to steam and goes right back into the air -- so now it's a few degrees cooler, but 100% humidity!

You know it's gonna be a bad day when you go outside and you can see the haze in the air. You can see about a mile farther during winter when the air is dry.

As a fellow Floridian I can say this is so loving true. When I worked Valet I'd always tell people I never minded working in the rain. The rain is awesome, it's what comes after that sucks. 95F and 99% Humidity? Have fun running.

I'm so glad I finally fixed my Jeep's AC. I don't what anyone says, driving with the windows down doesn't make it any cooler. Then you're just blowing hot air in your face.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

kastein posted:

That name.

Did you create that account or was it already on there?

I may have set that as my username :haw:

And the sad thing is, a lot of my friends have been talking about how weak netbooks are in the performance category and yet it vastly outspecs any laptop or tower I've ever owned.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 218 days!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

Here I thought I was the only one damaged enough to have an eee phase. :v:

Recently I've moved to virtual hardware to break me of the leash of the one single old dell that would run XP and had REAL LEGACY HARDWARE PORTS. Of course even with VirtualBox/VirtualPC, I still need to use USB adapters old enough for the host OS. (I've had both decent and shittastic compatibility with docking stations, so not trying to get stuck getting married to one of those for life, too.) :suicide:

Thought about posting a "Missed Connections" today:

You: That georgeous-from-afar cream white 9000 who always crosses the opposite way on the split lane highway.
Me: The other SAAB in our state.

I noticed today for the first time that your grill is busted up pretty bad. Thats ok. If I was only after looks, I probably wouldn't be driving an OG95. Lets fix your messed up face and kick up the pressure.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ExplodingSims posted:

I'm so glad I finally fixed my Jeep's AC. I don't what anyone says, driving with the windows down doesn't make it any cooler. Then you're just blowing hot air in your face.

I was inspired to fix the A/C on my Blazer last year after driving in the rain once. Yeah, defrost doesn't work so well when it's basically blowing steam and the windows are being actively cooled by rain.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I live in a lovely rental in a generally safe (and expensive and elitist) neighborhood and found that someone got into the Miata last night. I always leave the doors unlocked so that nobody desperate enough will slash the top, but I forgot to lock my console and glovebox. I don't keep anything of value in the car or trunk anyways, and they didn't pop the trunk from the console, nor does it look like they even made an effort at the stereo (which is funny because it is not fixed in place at all, I just slid it in there and didn't bother with the retaining tabs). They just made a mess and took some change. I'm glad they didn't vandalize anything. This is the fourth time in five years I've had my cars broken into in this lovely town (the other were all hardtops that were locked).

As I'm driving to work this morning some hippie student runs a stop sign right in front of me, turning right to parallel me. I slow down and say "Stop for the loving stop sign. You make other riders like me look bad." He needs a few seconds to think as I drive off before I hear "Oh yeah, well you make riders like me look bad!" How is that even a comeback? Of course I make you look bad, I'm a competitive amateur that rides 10k miles a year and you're some smelly white shart that can't be bothered to put a helmet on over your dreadlocks.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You're harshing on his aesthetic, brah.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Oh, Eugene! :allears:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Here's that yoke I was talking about yesterday. I initially just threw it as hard as I could into the steel bin out of a mix of anger and triumph, but had to dig it out today to use as a sample since the first one I got from the parts guy was wrong, so I figured ehh, might as well get some trophy shots out of it too.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 11, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's AI's thoughts on Motorcycle "clubs"? Three people I know have joined them in recent months and the guys already in these things are just the douchiest people I've ever met.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Motorcycle clubs, to me, are like group rides: I'm on my bike to get the gently caress away from people. Then again, I'm a known asocial/antisocial/sociopath, so grain of salt and all that.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Rhyno posted:

What's AI's thoughts on Motorcycle "clubs"? Three people I know have joined them in recent months and the guys already in these things are just the douchiest people I've ever met.

The only club I like around town is a club that is a bunch of guys who ride pre 1950s motorcycles. They're all really nice dudes.

The new thing in town are Motorcycle "Collectives" where it's a bunch of hipster douchebags renting a workshop together and cafe-ing vintage hondas and yamahas and poo poo.

Bucephalus posted:

Motorcycle clubs, to me, are like group rides: I'm on my bike to get the gently caress away from people. Then again, I'm a known asocial/antisocial/sociopath, so grain of salt and all that.

This mostly. I do like taking road trips with my friends who ride, but generally I just want to be alone with my thoughts and the rolling hills of Tennessee when I'm riding.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

A never ending source of clients if they have a 3 piece patch. Otherwise, accountants and bros.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Viper_3000 posted:

The new thing in town are Motorcycle "Collectives" where it's a bunch of hipster douchebags renting a workshop together and cafe-ing vintage hondas and yamahas

This would admittedly be an awesome idea if it had non douchebag members.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Cage posted:

I've had a lot of luck finding cases of my preferred brands on ebay... The key is to just make sure the shipping isn't crazy.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Mostly at wal-mart. Do oil changes on three cars these days.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Cage posted:

Wal-mart or Autozone if they're running a special. Just get a big jug of whatever for like $15
Course I drive a Jeep, so Oil is somewhat optional. :v:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

My parent's cat kicked my old eee off the top of a 7' tall wardrobe
Twice
Aside from some keys falling off it kept going just merry until the battery died and I put a virus on it which meant it never ran properly again

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

I have some Mongols who live nearby. Evidently their product is good because they can party for days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Viggen posted:

I have some Mongols who live nearby. Evidently their product is good because they can party for days.

Kumis is pretty crazy stuff from what I hear. You drink a bottle of that stuff and you'll want to conquer the world!

MrChips fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 11, 2014

• Locked thread