Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Is Bendis being taken off the x books or something? Is there a reason he's wrapping up all these plot points with dumb as hell poo poo? Does he just not care and is phoning it in while collecting a paycheck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Leper Residue posted:

Is Bendis being taken off the x books or something? Is there a reason he's wrapping up all these plot points with dumb as hell poo poo? Does he just not care and is phoning it in while collecting a paycheck?

I think they are getting close to ending the Schism, and going to set up a new status quo.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Leper Residue posted:

Powers got picked up as a series so a little of column A and a little of column B. Honestly his work with the X-Men that I read came of as kinda "Eh, Whatever" to me like he thought it'd be fun and invigorating until he actually started writing and it turned out he just wasn't feeling it.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
I enjoyed X-Force again. I don't know who the giant face dude is though. The evil dude talking to domino--who is he?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Logan's death actually makes sense as an end of Schism.

I'd expect a scene where he lays dieing and tells Scott "go back home, go back to the X mansion" and a tearful Scott agrees because he realizes that Logan is his best friend, and losing his love, his mentor and best friend is too much.

Then they share a tender kiss while Logan dies.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Mahasamatman posted:

I enjoyed X-Force again. I don't know who the giant face dude is though. The evil dude talking to domino--who is he?

I assumed it was Volga in a new body. Borrowing heavily from Zola.

So... that next cover of ANXM of Laura kissing Angel. Think that means any more than the one of her kissing Scott (which meant almost nothing). As the world's biggest fan of the (Academy X) New X-Men, Bendis' lovely handle on Laura is possibly the thing I like least about his X-books.
Or pretty much every other character. I like how he writes the Cuckoos most of the time, I guess.

Also, twistedmentat, I read all of your posts as Cheryl/Carol. So keep posting weird poo poo.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Logan's death actually makes sense as an end of Schism.

I'd expect a scene where he lays dieing and tells Scott "go back home, go back to the X mansion" and a tearful Scott agrees because he realizes that Logan is his best friend, and losing his love, his mentor and best friend is too much.

Then they share a tender kiss while Logan dies.

"There must always be a Wolverine, bub."

Logan dies and Scott starts being Wolverine, walking around on his knees with knives attached to his hands and talking in the worst Canadian accent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Diet Poison posted:

I assumed it was Volga in a new body. Borrowing heavily from Zola.

So... that next cover of ANXM of Laura kissing Angel. Think that means any more than the one of her kissing Scott (which meant almost nothing). As the world's biggest fan of the (Academy X) New X-Men, Bendis' lovely handle on Laura is possibly the thing I like least about his X-books.
Or pretty much every other character. I like how he writes the Cuckoos most of the time, I guess.

Also, twistedmentat, I read all of your posts as Cheryl/Carol. So keep posting weird poo poo.

I think Bendis probably had big plans for the Laura/Cyclops love connection and losing Scott messed it up. So Angel will stand in for that. Question, how long has it been since he's brought up the Hank/Jean thing?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I think Bendis probably had big plans for the Laura/Cyclops love connection and losing Scott messed it up.

Aw I'm really sorry to hear that, because I think you're right. Having old Cyclops and Wolverine watch in horror as Young Cyclops and Rule 63 Wolverine hook up is a deliciously warped idea I wanted to see a hell of a lot more of.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mind the walrus posted:

Aw I'm really sorry to hear that, because I think you're right. Having old Cyclops and Wolverine watch in horror as Young Cyclops and Rule 63 Wolverine hook up is a deliciously warped idea I wanted to see a hell of a lot more of.

So did I! Good god was that a great idea! I almost want to hate Greg Rucka for ruining it!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mind the walrus posted:

On the other hand, Wolverine still has all this unresolved guilt about what X-Force ended up doing the Angel, so there's some potential crying Wolverine at the window of the school action there too. I want an entire issue where all Wolverine can say is bub and then makes a sadface.

Bendis' plot devices are always so stupid. I need to write a note? Really? And who is delivering this note? Who isn't reading it before it goes out the door? Yeah ok.

On the other hand, is that my motorcycle?

Hinoarashi
Mar 28, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I think Bendis probably had big plans for the Laura/Cyclops love connection and losing Scott messed it up. So Angel will stand in for that. Question, how long has it been since he's brought up the Hank/Jean thing?

As Marvel's Top Dog, I figure he had to make the call to send Young Cyclops off, or at the very least, had veto power.

mind the walrus posted:

Having old Cyclops and Wolverine watch in horror as Young Cyclops and Rule 63 Wolverine hook up is a deliciously warped idea I wanted to see a hell of a lot more of.

I legit didn't realize how much I NEEDED this to have happened until now. :(

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

"There must always be a Wolverine, bub."

Logan dies and Scott starts being Wolverine, walking around on his knees with knives attached to his hands and talking in the worst Canadian accent.

No, he already has a backup available, he just has to ask Laura to glue sideburns to her face.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Hinoarashi posted:

As Marvel's Top Dog, I figure he had to make the call to send Young Cyclops off, or at the very least, had veto power.

Yeah, but maybe he heard the pitch and begrudgingly decided it was good and that he could give up Young Scott. So I guess I can't really blame him for that. Young Scott vs Old Scott is my favourite of the interactions but the Cyclops solo is pretty damned good.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So how was Battle of the Atom?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Just finished Jason Aaron's run on Wolverine and the X-Men. What a great run. It had a couple dips, but on the whole will probably end up being one I revisit in the future.

And those last three issues were some of the most touching comics I've ever read. I teared up more than once.

Benny the Snake posted:

I liked it. This thread hates it. But this thread hates everything with the X-Men in it.

I'm just messin,!
VVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Also I really like what Bendis has done with All New X-Men. Have read much Uncanny yet though

Unmature fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 10, 2014

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Just because we have different tastes doesn't mean we have to be dramatic v:shobon:v

I definitely like some of the X-Men stuff still, just nothing with Bendis.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Benny the Snake posted:

I thought it was stupid but its Bendis's X-men level stupid that some people are into.

Then again I like Nightcrawler.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Benny the Snake posted:

On the whole, I thought it was unnecessary and didn't really go anywhere; the entire plot could have been resolved in two issues of ANX and certainly wasn't worthy of being an "event". Most of the conflict in every issue boils down to someone arguing to send the young X-men home and somebody else getting mad and insisting they stay. Some of the character beats were fun and the designs of the future X-men were great, though. I wouldn't buy it as a trade, but if it's up on Unlimited, you might as well read it.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
It just felt like it put the X-Men on hold for the summer, and could have been finished in half as many issues. Probably isn't too bad if you read it at your own pace. Definitely required reading if you're gonna continue with Bendis' X-Men books.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Boy, Jason Latour's Wolverine and the X-Men is nowhere NEAR as good as Jason Aaron's was. One issue in and I want to put it down. Does it get better?

I just found the whole first issue unfocused and boring. It jumped around to try and get us acquainted with the characters, but did the opposite for me since there isn't a major time skip or anything and I already know where these characters are. And the stuff he was jumping between just wasn't that interesting. Compare it to the first issue of Aaron's run that's all about the school's first day and their evaluation. Also his dialogue is very Slott-y with its random references that add nothing and shouldn't count as a joke.

Blech.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I actually like the new WATXM since it is focusing more on the kids. It probably reads a bit better in trade but I really don't have any complaints. Especially since Aaron's WATXM had more than a few stories that just did not appeal to me. The loving crossovers didn't help but even poo poo like the circus bored me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Unmature posted:

Boy, Jason Latour's Wolverine and the X-Men is nowhere NEAR as good as Jason Aaron's was. One issue in and I want to put it down. Does it get better?

I just found the whole first issue unfocused and boring. It jumped around to try and get us acquainted with the characters, but did the opposite for me since there isn't a major time skip or anything and I already know where these characters are. And the stuff he was jumping between just wasn't that interesting. Compare it to the first issue of Aaron's run that's all about the school's first day and their evaluation. Also his dialogue is very Slott-y with its random references that add nothing and shouldn't count as a joke.

Blech.

I love how the first issue of a new writer on a title has to be amazing and they have all the characters voices down.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not really. I dropped it after a couple issues.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

I actually like the new WATXM since it is focusing more on the kids. It probably reads a bit better in trade but I really don't have any complaints. Especially since Aaron's WATXM had more than a few stories that just did not appeal to me. The loving crossovers didn't help but even poo poo like the circus bored me.

Yeah I can't remember a series with such a wide berth between the good and bad stories. The good stories are GREAT, but the corssovers are boring and yeah that circus issue *woof*. I did enjoy that story more than most because it's a big callback to an early Claremont X-Men story and I'd just read that like a week before. So I appreciated the callback, but it drags on waaay too long.

bobkatt013 posted:

I love how the first issue of a new writer on a title has to be amazing and they have all the characters voices down.

Aaron's did. :smuggo:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Unmature posted:

Aaron's did. :smuggo:

The same Aaron that wrote an X-men crossover and was the writer for Wolverine?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

You know what, you're right. This new guy shouldn't be writing this book. I'm glad we agree.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

I don't see your point. I remember Aaron's Wolverine work being generally well received. I think he lost a bit of steam after the Hell arc of the Wolverine re-launch but at least he didn't sink into self-parody like Bendis did in year 4-6 of Avengers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't see your point. I remember Aaron's Wolverine work being generally well received. I think he lost a bit of steam after the Hell arc of the Wolverine re-launch but at least he didn't sink into self-parody like Bendis did in year 4-6 of Avengers.

That he had experience with the characters. That you can not compare Wolverine and the X-men volume 1 and volume 2 since one person had lots of experience with the characters and the other did not.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I flipped thru the latest issue of All-New X-Men and boy, did I dislike it. I sure hope Bendis is better at Spider-Man than X-Men, personally. What's the best X-title that's not Bendis written right now?

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

I sure hope Bendis is better at Spider-Man than X-Men, personally.

He is. Why aren't you reading Ultimate Spider-Man?

The X-Men line is in really bad shape right now if you don't like Bendis. Cyclops' solo title is fantastic, but it's not so much an X-Men book as it is a "Cyclops & Corsair's Father-Son Bonding Vacation IN SPACE" book. I've heard Amazing X-Men is good, but I haven't read it personally, and the new X-Force is really good but it's approaching Hickman levels of layering up mysteries only to not resolve them for ages, so it's admittedly not for everyone. Adjectiveless was dire under Wood and it's going to be worse under Guggenheim.

Honestly, though, if you don't like Bendis avoid the X-Books until he's off them because he's gonna drag them all into his dumb status quos at some point.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Benny the Snake posted:

I flipped thru the latest issue of All-New X-Men and boy, did I dislike it. I sure hope Bendis is better at Spider-Man than X-Men, personally. What's the best X-title that's not Bendis written right now?

X-Force is probably the best X-book running right now. It's pretty stylistically similar to his run on X-Men Legacy (which you should read if you've haven't already).

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Benny the Snake posted:

Bendis is way way better on Ultimate Spider-Man. It's still one of my favorite comics.

Amazing is kind of cool. It's not amazing but I'm enjoying it. Wolverine and the X-Men seems like a like it or hate it. I didn't enjoy it at first but I find myself enjoying each issue more and more.

Haven't read X-force yet may have to pick that up.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Unmature posted:

You know what, you're right. This new guy shouldn't be writing this book. I'm glad we agree.

Has he done some minis with wolverine/the kids? Honestly that always helps a new writer getting a series to have a Mini or two to prep and find his voice for the characters before basically throwing them into the deep end of the wolf pit.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm just going to sit here and feel smug about being on the Spurrier X-Force bandwagon from day one. Kind of want to see what he'd do with free reign over the whole X line.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Bendis' plot devices are always so stupid. I need to write a note? Really? And who is delivering this note? Who isn't reading it before it goes out the door? Yeah ok.

Just by writing it he guaranteed it makes it because it already did. Time travel!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I like that Bendis told us none of these future kids death's will matter because they can just reset and try again. Because of this we also now know that in order for this to end they'll need to go forward in time and stop the team before they have their plan in motion.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Like X-Men: Legacy was, X-Force is the best X-book that you're all not reading.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

irlZaphod posted:

Like X-Men: Legacy was, X-Force is the best X-book that you're all not reading.
I found that last issue kinda dragged for a bit as if luring me into a false sense of security.

And yes, more people should get into it. It is good. Spurrier is legitimately talented at taking his little corner of X-verse and doing something truly weird but also truly X-men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Aphrodite posted:

Just by writing it he guaranteed it makes it because it already did. Time travel!

Um, no?

When they show him receiving the note in the future, that implies that they'll have to go back in time, lose, write that note, and have that note somehow reach them. It is "guaranteed it makes it" because we are seeing it "make it." Just seeing him write the note in the past does not have the same guaranteed time-travel logic to it - anything could happen between the present/past and the future. And even with the future scene of them again receiving the note, the onus is still on the writer of this fictional work to show how this closed loop works and how, in the past, the note does indeed make it - or at least leave it ambiguous enough that we think "ok, sometime in this span of 50 years or whatever, a note is somehow produced and set up for delivery."

Bendis is so ham-handed about it that he opts for the silly scene of Xavier Jr. asking his maximum security watchers for paper for this note, instead of taking advantage of the vast ambiguity offered by the span of years between "the present" and the future that Xavier Jr. travels from (i.e., there could be a power-outage and a break-out at some point further down the line, a different supervillain could intervene, etc.). Nope, he's gotta have his cutesy moment where he just asks for paper to write a note, and SHIELD security just lets him both write it and then either gets it out into the world for him or doesn't question where that paper goes if he tries to hide it.

• Locked thread