Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 216 days!)

MrChips posted:

Kumis is pretty crazy stuff from what I hear.

Not those Mongols, ya big silly!

:holymoley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Today I worked on an un-modified R32 Skyline GTR. gently caress whichever genius designed that car. I realise it was a technological tour de force at the time blah blah but my god it's just one of the least thought-out technical trainwrecks I've ever seen from japan. I had to fix a perforated steel coolant line going to the rearmost turbo :suicide:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cage posted:

For those of you that change your own oil, where do you get your oil from? I spend close to $40 to get it done which isnt bad since I need extra oil and I refuse to go to one of those cheap chain shops but Im sure I can spend almost half that if I do it myself.

Wal-Mart, as others have said. 5 qt jugs of Mobil 1 synthetic (also Mobil 1 synthetic extended performance) is usually $25. AC Delco filter is $6 or $7 (cartridge filter pricing :argh: ). My car holds exactly 5 qts, and in the 30k+ I've had it, I've never had to top it off between oil changes.

One of these days I'll order a few Wix filters from Rockauto or Amazon, but I average 2-3 oil changes a year as a delivery guy; that'd fall down to 1 a year once I get out of delivery (and it'd be based on age instead of mileage at that point).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just picked up 4 quarts of Rotella T 15w40 from Walmart for $12. :whatup: It's literally, in every sense of the word, the only reason I step into that godawful store.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm paranoid that, like appliances, Walmart has brokered a deal to get a special W version of brand name oils that's shittier than the real thing but at a great price.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

Today I worked on an un-modified R32 Skyline GTR. gently caress whichever genius designed that car. I realise it was a technological tour de force at the time blah blah but my god it's just one of the least thought-out technical trainwrecks I've ever seen from japan. I had to fix a perforated steel coolant line going to the rearmost turbo :suicide:

Agreed. Now that they're legal in the US, I expect a lot more Americans to learn about how tight everything is in that mess of hoses and 80s turbo technology.

Then again, this is the company that brought us the twin turbo Z32 300ZX. I visited a shop where they were working on a 300ZX that was brought over (found in a "farmer's field" in Japan, sure buddy :rolleyes:). This poor car basically had the entire HKS catalogue, two(!) alarms (one half installed, the other fully installed but broken from cap plague) and miles and miles of aftermarket wiring. It must have been some kind of show car in its past life, because it was tuned for big injectors (which had been removed from the car along with the aftermarket fuel rail) and never ran again.

After the customer hit his spending limit trying to diagnose every possible gremlin I believe the car was parted out at flea-market prices. Nobody wants to buy used and dirty early-90s HKS stuff, it seems.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I went to 2 walmarts and neither had 5w20 Rotella. :mad:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

8ender posted:

I'm paranoid that, like appliances, Walmart has brokered a deal to get a special W version of brand name oils that's shittier than the real thing but at a great price.

Ok glad it's not just me. Some of them even have specific wal mart labels!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

8ender posted:

Walmart in Okotoks used to have Walmart-brand "recycled oil." We threw it in some beaters, it was ludicrously cheap and didn't seem any different from gas station Mobil in terms of smell or appearance. I haven't seen it on the shelves for awhile, so maybe it's been discontinued.

According to the website, they would take old oil and re-refine it and add a new synthetics package to it. I assume you'd also get some bonus synthetic stuff from the old oil as well, so maybe it's even better than new oil. :v:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

It seems Boss is actually a really good oil. Average base oil, good additive pack and it's the cheapest stuff you can get at most places. I'm doing break-in on the Kia with it.
Other oilchat: Anyone know if the :pcgaming: Natural Gas Based Pennzoil Platinum is much different from the original? My 1ZZ absolutely hates almost everything else-the lifters and valve seals are very picky, I get noise from the former and oil consumption from the latter on just about any other synthetic. I'm coming up on the first OCI since that poo poo came out so I'm conflicted.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 11, 2014

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

8ender posted:

They do this with tires as well. My $500 beater came with a new looking set of Goodyears I'd never heard of. When I looked them up they are Walmart only. And they are wearing like poo poo compared to pretty much any other tires I've owned.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rhyno posted:

What's AI's thoughts on Motorcycle "clubs"? Three people I know have joined them in recent months and the guys already in these things are just the douchiest people I've ever met.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3AeRbqhi0I

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Motronic posted:

They do this with tires as well. My $500 beater came with a new looking set of Goodyears I'd never heard of. When I looked them up they are Walmart only. And they are wearing like poo poo compared to pretty much any other tires I've owned.

See this is what I'm worried about. It would totally be Walmart's MO to resell some bargain basement Rotella that performs poorly because who's going to notice? It could take thousands and thousands of miles to be a problem for most engines.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

8ender posted:

See this is what I'm worried about. It would totally be Walmart's MO to resell some bargain basement Rotella that performs poorly because who's going to notice? It could take thousands and thousands of miles to be a problem for most engines.

I already worry enough that the oil I'm buying is someone's returned oil, this is just more nightmare fuel.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BraveUlysses posted:

I already worry enough that the oil I'm buying is someone's returned oil, this is just more nightmare fuel.

That happened to me once at walmart and I check under the caps to make sure the seal is present and actually attached now. :argh:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I'm crossposting this here because I know automotive goons are also occasionally electrical goons, can anybody tell me how scared I should be of my kitchen wall socket:

I'm in the UK so I was expecting two pairs of leads not three, and I've never seen exposed earths outside of an industrial setting. Is my house gonna burn down? :ohdear:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

It's 28-30C in most of Denmark, with a UV index of 6.5 (highest ever recorded in Denmark is just over 7), humidity around 60.

I know that's probably peanuts to some of you, but as a typical cold-acclimated northerner, I am quite literally dying right now.

As someone living somewhere quite colder than Köpenhamn, I've got to ask: what the gently caress is wrong with you? I love love love those few weeks when it's actually warm here. We've been going between 25-30C, 50-55 humidity and UV at about 6 this whole week, and I'm happy as a pig in poo poo.

On a completely different note;

[TELL] me about buying a 1989 Trans Am GTA WS6?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

jammyozzy posted:

I'm crossposting this here because I know automotive goons are also occasionally electrical goons, can anybody tell me how scared I should be of my kitchen wall socket:

I'm in the UK so I was expecting two pairs of leads not three, and I've never seen exposed earths outside of an industrial setting. Is my house gonna burn down? :ohdear:

I'd get a contractor to have a look if you are unsure.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_PTP_NEWRULESenglish.pdf

They look unsheathed in this guide

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I know very little about AC electrical stuff, and even less about how things are done outside of North America but bare ground wires aren't uncommon as far as I've seen. They usually just go straight to the nearest water pipe anyway.
The extra pair of leads might be for another socket or the lights, piggybacking off the feed for this socket?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Bare grounds/earths are fine, going to the nearest water pipe was ok in the 50s/70s but is strictly verboten now.

Those look OK. I know the britland electrical system is some goofy rear end "make a big loop around the entire building, fuse the plugs on the devices not the circuit" system that makes absolutely no sense to me but 3 cables into a box is no big deal here in the US.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Just thought about it and a kitchen plug would likely be a GFCI, and you'd want your lights to piggyback on a GFCI in that room so if it trips it kills everything. My bathroom is wired like that at least.
Also, maybe it's PO fuckery (or Canadian code differing from the US) but most of my grounds go to the nearest water line and this shithole was built in '88.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I also don't see much wrong with that outlet box.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Cage posted:

I went to 2 walmarts and neither had 5w20 Rotella. :mad:

Dude...
Rotella is diesel oil, you won't find it in anything thin. Hell I don't think they make different weights.
It's good with old motors, especially flat tappet ones, but I think they were required to bring zinc levels down so they're supposedly not as good anymore.

Just buy the mobil1 jugs.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

Bare grounds/earths are fine, going to the nearest water pipe was ok in the 50s/70s but is strictly verboten now.

Those look OK. I know the britland electrical system is some goofy rear end "make a big loop around the entire building, fuse the plugs on the devices not the circuit" system that makes absolutely no sense to me but 3 cables into a box is no big deal here in the US.
You do have fuses/breakers on each circuit as well as on the plug. Also, ring mains are a pretty sensible idea, if you think about it in terms of trying to do the job with as little wiring as possible - it came about as a standard after WW2, so there was something of a lack of copper. And you know what happens with standards once they're well dug-in and widely used.

What I suspect you're looking at here is a socket on a ring with an additional spur coming off.

Also, you're right about the bare earth wiring being an older thing - those are old wiring colours, so it's probably like that originally. You can get some earth sleeving for pennies if you want to fit it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

mafoose posted:

Dude...
Rotella is diesel oil, you won't find it in anything thin. Hell I don't think they make different weights.
It's good with old motors, especially flat tappet ones, but I think they were required to bring zinc levels down so they're supposedly not as good anymore.

Well I said I never heard of it before. I guess its my fault for not saying I run a gas engine. Sorry!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

mafoose posted:

Dude...

In the old days you had 2 different viscosities, 15w40 for everything but 2-stroke Detroits and straight-50 for the green leakers. Now there's a handful of viscosities around, including a 10w30 (mostly used by Merc IIRC).
And ZDDP reduction is actually a good thing for people who run diesel oil in cars- well, cat-equipped cars anyway, as ZDDP ruins catalytic converters (and DPFs/SCR catalysts, which is why they took the poo poo out). They beefed up the other EP additives to compensate (mainly ash and boron), so it's not like they've completely neutered the oils, they just had to change along with the engines that use them.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Subaru kids love rotella T6

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Tommychu posted:

Just thought about it and a kitchen plug would likely be a GFCI, and you'd want your lights to piggyback on a GFCI in that room so if it trips it kills everything. My bathroom is wired like that at least.
Also, maybe it's PO fuckery (or Canadian code differing from the US) but most of my grounds go to the nearest water line and this shithole was built in '88.

At least in the US, it's customary (when your electrician isn't a knob, that is) to run lighting off the receptacle circuit for the next room over and vise versa. Why? It means if you need to replace an outlet, you can do so with the lights still on instead of fumbling around in the dark while holding a flashlight in your teeth. Or, you can replace a light fixture while using a worklight plugged into an outlet. I don't know if this is code requirement or not, and old properties may or may not follow this guideline.

And that sounds like a lot of PO fuckery to me, but I don't know .ca code.

InitialDave posted:

You do have fuses/breakers on each circuit as well as on the plug. Also, ring mains are a pretty sensible idea, if you think about it in terms of trying to do the job with as little wiring as possible - it came about as a standard after WW2, so there was something of a lack of copper. And you know what happens with standards once they're well dug-in and widely used.

What I suspect you're looking at here is a socket on a ring with an additional spur coming off.

Also, you're right about the bare earth wiring being an older thing - those are old wiring colours, so it's probably like that originally. You can get some earth sleeving for pennies if you want to fit it.

Ahh, the way I heard it put was that the entire house was one circuit for receptacles, not that there would be multiple circuits. I'm not sure how you save copper by wiring all the way around and then back to the breaker again, but I'm probably misunderstanding something.

kastein fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 11, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

kastein posted:

At least in the US, it's customary (when your electrician isn't a knob, that is) to run lighting off the receptacle circuit for the next room over and vise versa. Why? It means if you need to replace an outlet, you can do so with the lights still on instead of fumbling around in the dark while holding a flashlight in your teeth. Or, you can replace a light fixture while using a worklight plugged into an outlet. I don't know if this is code requirement or not, and old properties may or may not follow this guideline.

This changes everything :aaa:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Slow is Fast posted:

The Honda S2000 guys love it too from what I hear. T6 is best oil, da!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cage posted:

Well I said I never heard of it before. I guess its my fault for not saying I run a gas engine. Sorry!

Just because it's sold as diesel oil doesn't mean it only works in diesels. I run Rotella T6 in the TDI (yes diesel) and all the 4-cycle motorcycles. I run Rotella T in the 320i, the 928 and the chumpcar.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

T6 is SM certified too, so it's appropriate for gasoline engines. It's a pretty great oil, especially for turbo engines.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Tommychu posted:

What? He's in the UK, not Canada.

Canadian codes pretty much mirror USA stuff, except for requiring a CSA stamp on it (and a 50% price increase over US counterparts).

:canada:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Motronic posted:

They do this with tires as well. My $500 beater came with a new looking set of Goodyears I'd never heard of. When I looked them up they are Walmart only.

The company I work for makes special 'Walmart only' versions of our stuff. It's the same chinese-made crap we sell everywhere else, just with a different package and labeling on it. The reason for the different labeling/model name? So that Walmart can claim the lowest price on say, 'Exercise Bike ABC123', and if anyone tries to find it cheaper in other stores or online they won't, because the only place that carries model 'ABC123' is Walmart. Despite it being otherwise identical to model 'XYZ 4.0' we sell to Amazon/Dicks Sporting Goods/on our website, except for the box and which stickers are on the side of the bike. We do this for Dick's, as well (same model, different name so it's an 'exclusive').

In our case, we don't change anything largely because it's already cheap Chinese crap that we're importing and selling at a 500%-1000% markup, so there's no point in trying to make them cheaper than they already are, we just reduce our markup by a few percent for Walmart sales.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Trip report: made a cup of tea, house is still standing. Success.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

Were they LT's (light truck) or P's (passenger)? The knucklehead that owned my truck before me had claimed new tires when I bought the P38, but they wore out quicker than poo poo. Switched to LT's and they wore a million times better. They are just heavy rear end pig trucks that chew every thing unless they are designed for the weight. (I also hauled an excessive amount of poo poo in mine to, just to add the weight and some load range C's or what ever the equivalent was)

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 11, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

jammyozzy posted:

Trip report: made a cup of tea, house is still standing. Success.

Now you sound like the guys from Project Binky.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hCPODjJO7s

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

kastein posted:

Now you sound like the guys from Project Binky.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hCPODjJO7s

I was just re-watching some of their videos today. The fab work is just amazing and I can't wait for them to get it driving.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Were they LT's (light truck) or P's (passenger)?

Ps, Just like on my D2. And that's heavier and just fine.

Since I'm towing more with the D1 is will be getting LTs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Slow is Fast posted:

Just used this on my oil change today. Will report back if when the car starts rolling coal on 22" rockstar rims.

• Locked thread