Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I'd just like to say the fact that Wizards went back and amended the VMA draft schedule to reflect what most people had interpreted from their original announcements is really awesome and I can't wait to continue blowing vast quantities of tickets on this sweet format throughout the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lord Of Texas posted:

You really want them to develop cards specifically for a one-time event that is not intended to be a perfectly balanced environment? Cards that have a lifespan of 2 years in Standard and forever in someone's binder?

It's not like having a pseudo-cycle of splashy limited rares that were balanced w/r/t each other would matter one way or the other for Standard, and it would probably make the limited environment better if anything, so I'm really not sure what your beef is...

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Lord Of Texas posted:

You really want them to develop cards specifically for a one-time event that is not intended to be a perfectly balanced environment? Cards that have a lifespan of 2 years in Standard and forever in someone's binder?
Yeah, I do? There's a big difference between starting out a set and going - Ok, what five junk rares can we dedicate to being flavorful, fun limited cards for a timmy event that tons of people remember vs Aww yea dawnbringer charioteer is a white rare everybody getting one of those!

If you seriously think that putting a day of work on figuring out five flavorful and balanced rares is a monumental effort on wizards' part your opinion of R&D is even worse than mine.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I bet they don't even know what any of the cards do and were surprised at the decisions they made.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

rabidsquid posted:

I bet they don't even know what any of the cards do and were surprised at the decisions they made.

Bet they didn't realize the folly of their mistake of putting Chord of Calling and Hornet Nest in the same Standard! :moreevil:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Andrast posted:

DotP really doesn't get that many improvements year to year. Now that I think about, I really can't name a single major improvement between the last three versions. I mean, it still has most of the same bugs that existed 3 years ago. Last year's version was also super disappointing since all the decks were boring/terrible and this year's version seems to be even worse (who thought that removing 2-headed giant was a good idea?).

There have been some minor quality of life improvements (ability to choose which lands tap, existence of the end step), but in terms of actual content they've been steadily getting worse. Higher proportion of monotonous grindy "encounters" in the campaign; decks going from "lots of cool variety" (2011-2012) to "everything is monocolor" (2013) to "everything is tribal aggro" (2014) to "there are no decks pay extra real money for booster packs" (2015); challenges going from interesting puzzles to an insultingly easy glorified tutorial (2014) to absent entirely (2015); and alternate game modes going from 2HG+Archenemy to 2HG+Planechase to 2HG+World's Shittiest Sealed to none at all.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Why wouldn't they try to run VMA events for as long as possible anyway? The events are a major driver in pack sales and packs are pretty much pure profit for them.

They're worried about flooding the secondary market "too much" I guess, instead of just enough?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Lottery of Babylon posted:

There have been some minor quality of life improvements (ability to choose which lands tap, existence of the end step), but in terms of actual content they've been steadily getting worse. Higher proportion of monotonous grindy "encounters" in the campaign; decks going from "lots of cool variety" (2011-2012) to "everything is monocolor" (2013) to "everything is tribal aggro" (2014) to "there are no decks pay extra real money for booster packs" (2015); challenges going from interesting puzzles to an insultingly easy glorified tutorial (2014) to absent entirely (2015); and alternate game modes going from 2HG+Archenemy to 2HG+Planechase to 2HG+World's Shittiest Sealed to none at all.

There's no puzzle mode? :saddowns:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

kingcobweb posted:

There's no puzzle mode? :saddowns:

There weren't really any puzzles last year either, unless you count things like "You have 2 bears in play, your opponent has 1 bear and 5 life, you have Giant Growth and can pay for it, what do you do?"

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I would happily pay twice as much as DotP costs for a game that's 100% puzzles, and in case anyone from Wizards is listening, I'm sure like six other people would too.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Yes

YESSS

YESSSSSSSSSS

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

kingcobweb posted:

Yes

YESSS

YESSSSSSSSSS

Kingcobweb's thirst for not-poo poo depictions of women on cards is merciless.

edit: for real tho this is great but that art is super bland

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Oh yeah, it's not actually good art. It's just not horrendously offensive.

Also, Duels does the new card layout zero favors. Check out the aggro bottom parts of the letters clipping into the frame.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Gynovore posted:

It's long out of date and you've probably all seen it already, but this.

(TL;DR: WotC used to be a geek Mecca, then the suits took over).

lmao

quote:

Corey lasted longer. He exacted his bitter revenge against management, though. At a Magic tournament in New York he set up a dress code for staff that consisted of black pants and brown shirts. This, combined with the black and red event banners he commissioned, made the whole thing look like a Nazi rally. Last I heard Corey was somewhere in Florida. I can only hope he is running guns.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I found the best wizard tumblr. These all own and half look like sweet adventure time critters.

http://shittymagicalters.tumblr.com/

I can't stop grinning at that nyxborn wolf.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 11, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Andrast posted:

DotP really doesn't get that many improvements year to year. Now that I think about, I really can't name a single major improvement between the last three versions. I mean, it still has most of the same bugs that existed 3 years ago. Last year's version was also super disappointing since all the decks were boring/terrible and this year's version seems to be even worse (who thought that removing 2-headed giant was a good idea?).

12 -> 13: Choose which lands tap, end step.
13 -> 14: Choose your land count instead of it being automatic (so you can actually have an aggro deck), exile pile visible.

Just off the top of my head and I was drat grateful for all four of those.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

decks going from "lots of cool variety" (2011-2012) to "everything is monocolor" (2013) to "everything is tribal aggro" (2014) to "there are no decks pay extra real money for booster packs" (2015);
13's fun/best decks were practically all multicolour. Izzet, Golgari and Orzhov wrecked face.

And 14 wasn't all tribal aggro by any stretch: Dimir please-never-draw-new-cards-again, Exalted, Heartless Summoning, Samurai Equipment, two flavours of Enchantment (one more creature based, one full-on Enchantress), the broken ETB/LTB deck, the more broken counter-burn/Kiln Fiend deck, Chandra burn, Metalcraft, Doubling Season, Faeries depending on how far you stretch aggro.

Oh, right, puzzles. Was going to talk about them too. Let's be blunt: I couldn't manage at least a quarter of D13's puzzles without a guide, and I bother to read Magic forum threads. The main target audience probably had to reach for FAQs about a half or two thirds of the way throough. That makes them feel like they suck, which is not a good way to go about things. D14 overcompensated a bit but I actually think that set of puzzles was closer to the mark than D13's.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 11, 2014

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

I found the best wizard tumblr. These all own and half look like sweet adventure time critters.

This owns

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Chill la Chill posted:

They missed a great chance to alter a gold rear end onto Golden Hind.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

C-Euro posted:

They missed a great chance to alter a gold rear end onto Golden Hind.

Swap it with the art for spiteful blow

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hopping Ghost posted:

I would happily pay twice as much as DotP costs for a game that's 100% puzzles, and in case anyone from Wizards is listening, I'm sure like six other people would too.
Well, if it makes you feel better, the f2p might and magic card game added some puzzles in their more recent update, which a ton of people got really, really excited about. Also Rosewater said the magic puzzling stuff was always a huge hit with people! So there's probably quite a few people who think puzzles are rad.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Well, if it makes you feel better, the f2p might and magic card game added some puzzles in their more recent update, which a ton of people got really, really excited about. Also Rosewater said the magic puzzling stuff was always a huge hit with people! So there's probably quite a few people who think puzzles are rad.

At the risk of derailing the topic, what is that Might and Magic game like? Any good?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

When it comes to Magic alters, that tumblr and I disagree on what "worst" means. Most of these are hilarious.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Ramos posted:

At the risk of derailing the topic, what is that Might and Magic game like? Any good?

It commits the cardinal sin most non-Magic card games do by not letting you do anything on your opponent's turn, but as far as online CCGs go it's one of the better ones.

The free to play progression is pretty good, too. You can pay them little or no money and still get packs at a decent clip.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 11, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ramos posted:

Well, keeping it sort of on topic, one thing I like about Magic is the resource system creates depth in deck building and MMDOC made attempts to try to replicate that without requiring colored mana or land drops. It's pretty good, lots of variety, but obviously not as good as Magic. It's a nice "coffee game" in the same way DOTP is, you know, sit down and play for 20 minutes while you're doing something else.

And yeah I totally agree with Boromir that not being able to do anything or decide on anything during your opponent's turn is just awful. Just loses so much compared to magic. Someone should make a free to play L5R on that note...

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Yeah, that might actually save the game.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

L5Rs design team could probably learn a lot from Magics to be honest. Maybe then they'd have to errata and ban things less.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

PrinnySquadron posted:

L5Rs design team could probably learn a lot from Magics to be honest. Maybe then they'd have to errata and ban things less.

How is L5R lately? I play it a lot in the 90's, but haven't kept track lately. (I remember WotC bought it, then sold it back).

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

kingcobweb posted:

Yes

YESSS

YESSSSSSSSSS

I will buy like ten of these and give them to people who run the old one in their EDH deck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chill la Chill posted:

I wasn't sold until this one

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Gynovore posted:

How is L5R lately? I play it a lot in the 90's, but haven't kept track lately. (I remember WotC bought it, then sold it back).

Emperor Edition was broken as gently caress and narly killed the game. Ivory has been OK so far but some Clans(Scorpion, Crane, Unicorn) are so far ahead of others (i.e. Phoenix and Spider) that it's not even funny. one kind of deck got banned like...a month into the format and Crane got their stronghold and sensei errated a couple of weeks after Kotei season started..

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

LordSaturn posted:

I will buy like ten of these and give them to people who run the old one in their EDH deck.

There will be a printed version?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Rinkles posted:

There will be a printed version?

Oh! I guess not yet. I would expect one within a year or two though, it's a totally sensible and harmless reprint that could go into just about any product.

See also the DotP-only Hanna art that finally got made into a promo, but Hanna isn't something that can just fall into Standard or most theme decks.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

and the last is Travis Woo and didn't understand why they thought he was weird for not wearing shoes at the office.

There's no :allears: big enough to express what I'm feeling right now.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah, I do? There's a big difference between starting out a set and going - Ok, what five junk rares can we dedicate to being flavorful, fun limited cards for a timmy event that tons of people remember vs Aww yea dawnbringer charioteer is a white rare everybody getting one of those!

If you seriously think that putting a day of work on figuring out five flavorful and balanced rares is a monumental effort on wizards' part your opinion of R&D is even worse than mine.

R&D already has a million different stakeholders of their sets vying for attention. I don't have to list them to you if you post in this thread. Adding yet another stakeholder IS something that can stall a project, and from working in software development I can tell you that firsthand.

If they are designing their sets well (with the type of player that is attracted specifically to a pre-release in mind) it should be no issue to pick a rare from their existing file that works for each color.

(Also I'm not sure why you hate a big, flying, lifelinking flyer if you are looking for splashy Timmy cards!)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Chill la Chill posted:

I need this for my EDH deck. :allears:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Sleep of Bronze posted:

And 14 wasn't all tribal aggro by any stretch: Dimir please-never-draw-new-cards-again, Exalted, Heartless Summoning, Samurai Equipment, two flavours of Enchantment (one more creature based, one full-on Enchantress), the broken ETB/LTB deck, the more broken counter-burn/Kiln Fiend deck, Chandra burn, Metalcraft, Doubling Season, Faeries depending on how far you stretch aggro.

DOTP 14 was all tribal aggro at release though. The expansion pack helped it so much, but for a while the game was as bad as Hearthstone.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
:can:

Kasonic fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 11, 2014

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Here we go...

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kasonic posted:

Do people really get upset at Triumph of Ferocity? They're superheroes and it's got a reverse depiction in the same set and everything.

It spawned the best MTG thread ever here on this very forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

It spawned the best MTG thread ever here on this very forum.

Link the thread you tease

• Locked thread