Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

SeaTard posted:

I still can't figure out why the Sounders don't play their Open Cup games at Memorial Stadium too.

Oh God, this would be so sweet. My guess is that it costs money compared to just using your own training stadium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

highme posted:

Did anybody besides Braddock get arrested?

no :( more TA need to be locked up regularly so people will straighten themselves out a bit, I reckon.
ok well a guy kinda got arrested but the cop shoved him down the hill while he was handcuffed so I think they just let him go.

and if Taters is right about SSFC having a 97% win rate then I reckon they'll stay there for good luck or something. stands were packed, so people definitely make the trip.

how do the ECS people wave those enormous flags the entire match without a) getting exhausted or b) pissing everyone off since they can't see anything?

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

Bewildrbeast posted:

ok well a guy kinda got arrested but the cop shoved him down the hill while he was handcuffed so I think they just let him go.

The mental image of this is really loving funny to me for some reason.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
That hillock was a lame place to put your people :( Although it was in the shade, so I was jealous. I was standing on the very back, highest bleacher on the grandstand side which had the sun completely on me for the first half. Between that and the people swaying that ramp of the bleacher, I thought I was going to get sick.

I'm a wuss.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Bewildrbeast posted:

how do the ECS people wave those enormous flags the entire match without a) getting exhausted or b) pissing everyone off since they can't see anything?

surely you understand that "supporting" isn't about actually watching the match

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Bewildrbeast posted:

a) They are traded and passed around multiple people, but it is pretty exhausting. I've lasted 10 minutes at best.
b) The people in our section don't mind, generally, but we have pissed off people. A person came and stole one of the big flags from me when I was waving it towards the end of last year (I was just being nice and sharing the love). We and the FO try to make it clear your view may be obstructed, but there's often people who don't get the message.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

sitting front row of every match has me a bit spoiled since I'm used to being able to actually see what is happenin' on the pitch. which is what we're supposed to do as supporters, right?

a lot of people miss the point of going to matches :(

also the visual of the guy getting shoved down the hill is hilarious, yes. sad there was no video :(

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Bewildrbeast posted:

sitting front row of every match has me a bit spoiled since I'm used to being able to actually see what is happenin' on the pitch. which is what we're supposed to do as supporters, right?

a lot of people miss the point of going to matches :(

Excuse me to get a little "ultra" about this but the idea is to be noticed through song and color, not because we're so drat cool, but because it lets the players on the field know we're there for them. Lamont Cranston is being dismissive, but it's true, watching the game is secondary to me as a supporter. First is to be there for my boys, being loud and noticeable. It's not how everyone wants to do things, and that's fine, we just have to work at having both groups happy with their way of supporting.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

When I'm waving the big flag in our section I pay attention to the run of play & do my best to not obstruct people's view at critical moments. I also wave it out over the field and not directly in the line of sight for most people. It helps that most of the folks around me seem to not give a poo poo, or are shithoused.

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

foobardog posted:

Excuse me to get a little "ultra" about this but the idea is to be noticed through song and color, not because we're so drat cool, but because it lets the players on the field know we're there for them. Lamont Cranston is being dismissive, but it's true, watching the game is secondary to me as a supporter. First is to be there for my boys, being loud and noticeable. It's not how everyone wants to do things, and that's fine, we just have to work at having both groups happy with their way of supporting.

no offense but this is pretty dumb

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

highme posted:

It helps that most of the folks around me ... are shithoused.

I didn't think I sat stood near you.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

highme posted:

When I'm waving the big flag in our section I pay attention to the run of play & do my best to not obstruct people's view at critical moments. I also wave it out over the field and not directly in the line of sight for most people. It helps that most of the folks around me seem to not give a poo poo, or are shithoused.

Open Cup seems to get alot more sustained giant flag action than the avg league match. But ECS does have most of the seats which would have an obstructed view, so those folks are opting in. Mostly from what I see, opting in to beer.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Every TA ticket has a similar disclaimer. People occasionally bitch, but for the most part it's chill. It's not like some giggledick went viral telling people in front of him to sit down.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

foobardog posted:

God this really sums it all up doesn't it. Me me me my

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I thought you could only be ultra if you were in 1906?!?

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

ultra more like ultra dumb

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

SeaTard posted:

I still can't figure out why the Sounders don't play their Open Cup games at Memorial Stadium too.

Until recently the turf at Memorial Stadium was poo poo, and the rest of the building is closer to RFK than Jerry World, quality wise, as well.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

foobardog posted:

Amazing. You are completely missing the entire point of going to see live soccer.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Suqit posted:

Amazing. You are completely missing the entire point of going to see live soccer.

The social part of going to a live match is awesome but I want to see the game too and if someone is waving a giant flag in my face then I'm going to be the rear end in a top hat that foobardog comes to post about in the forums. I really don't think the players give a poo poo about a flag and I'm sure loud cheering and chants does a lot more for them than a flag.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

vulturesrow posted:

The social part of going to a live match

:wtc:

:stonk:

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

How dare someone socialize in public! Sporting events are for watching sport only, no talking allowed.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
I get all my bitches at USL Pro games.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Hey, you big dumb failtras, I bet the players like it more when you cheer and yell at poo poo based on what's happening in the game like cool tackles and nice passes. Im sure they filter out the constant drone of neckbeard enhanced noise and labored breathing from keeping your sailor moon and/or cartman tifo aloft.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Hey, you big dumb failtras, I bet the players like it more when you cheer and yell at poo poo based on what's happening in the game like cool tackles and nice passes. Im sure they filter out the constant drone of neckbeard enhanced noise and labored breathing from keeping your sailor moon and/or cartman tifo aloft.

:swoon: Thanks for saying what I was trying to say way better than I did.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Tigren posted:

How dare someone socialize in public! Sporting events are for watching sport only, no talking allowed.

Look here in England (where I am from and live and watch the foot) we actually care about the match. It's cute that you little Americans with your lack of confidence in your ability to watch "soccer" have to dress it up and give everyone fan participation medals for going to matches. Maybe one day you'll have the self confidence to go to a match, watch the run of play, and then go home and gently caress the prom queen. Until then enjoy the social aspect! Ps: If you tried that poo poo here we would glass you and steal your bird (assuming she was actually fit, which she's not, I bet my last 2 pence. But we could steal her nonetheless, and it would probably be the highlight of her life when the whole squad hit).

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Eh I took him to be saying social aspect as in going with your mates and cheering rather than tifos and organised song sheets

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

The Big Taff Man posted:

Eh I took him to be saying social aspect as in going with your mates and cheering rather than tifos and organised song sheets

Mostly yes. The supporter stuff can be a part of that and can be fun but its not the purpose of going to a game and if that is the main reason you're going I have to say you're missing the point.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Wow this has been some great discussion about things other than the 101st Annual Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup and 7th Annual Canadian Championship

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small

Hello Towel posted:

Wow this has been some great discussion about things other than the 101st Annual Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup and 7th Annual Canadian Championship

Well I was here for the social aspect of chatting about other things as well but if you're so adamant about focusing on that then maybe you're in the wrong place.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Look I am sorry if you're having trouble seeing all the posts in here due to my tifo, but it says right on the forum rules and disclaimer that this was a possibility.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Look I am sorry if you're having trouble seeing all the posts in here due to my tifo, but it says right on the forum rules and disclaimer that this was a possibility.

you sure bring a lot to the conversation. it's also real charming that you think women are objects to be stolen for an entire squad to hit.

USOC is always a weird shitshow and I want an unexpected kind of crap team to win

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Bewildrbeast posted:

you sure bring a lot to the conversation. it's also real charming that you think women are objects to be stolen for an entire squad to hit.

USOC is always a weird shitshow and I want an unexpected kind of crap team to win

Cheer for Chicago, we're mostly poo poo

And you see, it's okay to say horrible things because it's an internet comedy forum and it's ~ironic~

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 11, 2014

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Bewildrbeast posted:

Swap out "supporters" for "women" and you have exactly how I feel, op

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I'm very happy about the fact that the Chicago Fire have reached the semifinals of this great competition.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Paddyb posted:

I'm very happy about the fact that the Chicago Fire have reached the semifinals of this great competition.

this except the Philadelphia Union Football Club

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

foobardog posted:

Just going to leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjxFJfcrcA

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Same, but for this one about birds:

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Look here in England (where I am from and live and watch the foot) we actually care about the match. It's cute that you little Americans with your lack of confidence in your ability to watch "soccer" have to dress it up and give everyone fan participation medals for going to matches. Maybe one day you'll have the self confidence to go to a match, watch the run of play, and then go home and gently caress the prom queen. Until then enjoy the social aspect! Ps: If you tried that poo poo here we would glass you and steal your bird (assuming she was actually fit, which she's not, I bet my last 2 pence. But we could steal her nonetheless, and it would probably be the highlight of her life when the whole squad hit).

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
people who are ultras support like this

people who are not support like ~*This*~

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Flags are cool but general etiquette is to put them down during the actual run of play.

Unless it was 2013 DC, where actually watching the game came with a card with a number for the suicide hotline. The nice lady will tell you to keep waving a flag and maybe throw a beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I'm also extremely mad still that DC fielded a poo poo squad during a World Cup break that lost a game to loving Rochester, and anyone not Seattle winning this cup would make me happy. The rewards for winning seriously can turn your fortunes around, and Seattle might have used all three of their USOC wins to sustain a remarkable history in MLS. Dallas winning could turn a good team into a great one. Chicago could tighten their grip as Kings of the Cup and maybe have two scoring options. Philadelphia having a trophy would also be fun because that fan base is cool and the stadium is cool and gently caress me it's more fun when Philly is good.

• Locked thread