Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

It's that time again! For Canadians, that is. For Americans, that time is to be determined.

What's the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup/Canadian Championship?

These two competitions are the tournaments to determine the best club, regardless of level of play, in their respective country. What this really means is any team, regardless of how good they are, can win a trophy.

What's so important about these competitions?

Other than the trophy, the winners of these competitions get access to the CONCACAF Champions League, where they will proceed to lose to a Mexican team in depressing fashion. It's also the only source of pride for Toronto fans, although winning a three-team round robin isn't much to be proud of.

Who gets to play?

All professional teams are eligible for the competitions; amateur and semi-pro teams must qualify to make the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup (no amateur or semi-pro teams play in the Canadian Championship).

How do the competitions work?

Canada: 5 teams
USA: ~64 teams

Canada: Home-and-home
USA: Knockout

Canada:
Play-in round (Edmonton vs. Ottawa)
Semi-finals (Play-in round winner vs. Montreal, Vancouver vs. Toronto)
Finals

USA:
Play-in round, maybe?
First Round (amateur, semi-pro, and possible USL Pro teams enter)
Second Round (NASL teams and remaining USL Pro teams enter)
Third Round (MLS teams enter)
Four Rounds afterwards

Are these games televised?
Canada: Yes, on Rogers Sportsnet
USA: No. Matches will probably be streamed online, and the final will probably be on some channel you don't get.

When do these start?

For the Canadian Championship, it starts this Sunday. For the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup....nobody knows. Qualification is still underway in the lower leagues, and nobody knows how many teams will be in the tournament. If it's like last year, it will start in early May.

Upsets?
Oh yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

CaptainYesterday posted:

For the Canadian Championship, it starts this Sunday.

At the risk of being a killjoy for a nice OP, the ACC qualifying round actually starts on 23rd April, not 23rd March.

(thank gently caress, because playing an outdoor soccer game in either Edmonton or Ottawa tomorrow would be a hilarious disaster.)

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Reminder that the Chicago Fire have won the USOC more times than any other MLS team (tied for second-most overall).

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Re-opened a month on schedule. Speaking of schedules, the first two rounds of the Open Cup have been announced!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The first leg of the ACC qualifying round between my hometown team and my current-town team was played yesterday, but you probably didn't see it because Sportsnet wasn't airing it and the CSA is as bad at streaming as they are at literally everything else.

Ended in a 0-0 draw that featured some pretty end-to-end stuff, though, and the return leg in Edmonton promises to be interesting.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

The stream was bad and the football was bad but these kits are really nice

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I was out last night but after a pair of 2-1 games I can say:

Wow, Montreal are awful.

Our kids are all right, and I think we can turn this deficit around at BC Place. (of course, it's always the hope that kills you.)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Saputo is surprisingly not completely empty, and Montreal is up 1-0 after 10' after a goal from McInerney. As it stands, Impact are going through on away goals.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

:laffo: it was 3-0 Impact and then Edmonton scored two goals in 4 minutes. Meaning the Impact need to score in the last twenty minutes or EDM will go through on away goals :laugh:

e: last 12 minutes

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

6 minutes of added time? :lol:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Never a penalty.

(Montreal go through, probably: Bernier scores on a dubious penalty call.)

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

gently caress montreal

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Haha just looking at the live feed for the game, seeing time stamps like 90'+9' is pretty hilarious.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

More late PK drama. WhiteCaps and TFC tied on aggregate with the game winding down :munch:
Do they play extra time or just go straight to PKs?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

colonel_korn posted:

More late PK drama. WhiteCaps and TFC tied on aggregate with the game winding down :munch:
Do they play extra time or just go straight to PKs?

I turned this poo poo on at about the 60' mark. This game is ridiculous. And I have no idea what the rules are for a draw on agg.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I guess we get extra time.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

This will end in tears somehow for the Caps, I just know it.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Eric Hurtado's hair looks like a wig.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I'm sure Red Bulls fans are loving this.

edit: MannotgonnaconvertthatPK

edit 2: I think I can actually hear BC Place deflating over the broadcast.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 15, 2014

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Every Toronto penalty was basically perfect. No way that kid was gonna save any of them.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

My heart has returned from its hourlong trip to my throat

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

I love the Voyageurs Cup, and the many ways Vancouver finds to not win it

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Welp. That calls for more alcohol. What a loving game.

(now give those kids some MLS minutes during the World Cup break, please and thank you Robbo.)

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

I love the Voyageurs Cup, and the many ways Vancouver finds to not win it

At this point it's genuinely remarkable how we find a new way to lose every year, but that's cups for you. I'd suspect some sort of curse if this tournament were old enough to have curses.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Dallan Invictus posted:

What a loving game.

loving this

Also that Carducci kid is solid

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
HEY YOU aren't you wondering what happened in the US OPEN CUP this week???? Yeah you have.

Well, there was the game in Texas with five loving red cards.

And there was the game that didn't even happen because the loving field had been reserved in advance by a JV lacrosse team or something.

And we would be remiss without noting the loss of treasured giant killers Michigan Bucks, who play in the ULTIMATE SOCCER ARENA, to a delightfully named Red White and Blue Adria.

Did a bunch of U23 teams lose to USL Pro teams? Why yes, they did. The kids don't stand a chance.

But most importantly, the mighty Baltimore Bohemians, led by Santino Quaranta and a whole lot of Baltimore-themed everything all over it, beat the poo poo out of New Jersey's ICON FC.

The official website can't be arsed to even update the brackets, much less report on all 22 matches that happened Wednesday night (noting that it's Friday afternoon now, kids) so stay tuned to YOUR US Open Cup thread for more reports on the magic of the Uncared For Cup, the magical place where soccer is more of an abstract idea than an actual sport. The Third Round promises performance art, professional teams, and a whole lot of reports of road trips unremembered by morons in kits.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Next round matchups are out.

Chicago could either be playing a semi-pro team of Croats from the city or the Pittsburgh Collins Johns.

Either way it'll be fun.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Since someone was to lazy to provide a link or any other info (:cheeky:), I shall:

New England Revolution (MLS) at Richmond Kickers (USL PRO) OR vs. N.Y. Greek American Atlas (USASA)
New York Red Bulls (MLS) at New York Cosmos (NASL) OR vs. Brooklyn Italians (NPSL)
Philadelphia Union (MLS) vs. Harrisburg City Islanders (USL PRO) / Baltimore Bohemians (PDL) winner
D.C. United (MLS) at Rochester Rhinos (USL PRO) OR vs. Reading United (PDL)
Columbus Crew (MLS) vs. Dayton Dutch Lions (USL PRO) / Indy Eleven (NASL) winner
Chicago Fire (MLS) vs. RWB Adria (USASA) / Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USL PRO) winner
Sporting Kansas City (MLS) vs. Minnesota United (NASL) / Des Moines Menace (USASA) winner
Houston Dynamo (MLS) vs. Laredo Heat (PDL) / Fort Lauderdale Strikers (NASL) winner
FC Dallas (MLS) vs. NTX Rayados (USASA) / San Antonio Scorpions (NASL) winner
LA Galaxy (MLS) at Arizona United SC (USL PRO) OR vs. Oklahoma City Energy (USL PRO)
San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) vs. Fresno Fuego (PDL) / Sacramento Republic (USL PRO) winner
Chivas USA (MLS) at Carolina RailHawks (NASL) OR vs. Charlotte Eagles (USL PRO)
Seattle Sounders (MLS) at LA Galaxy II (USL PRO) OR vs. PSA Elite (USASA)
Real Salt Lake (MLS) at Atlanta Silverbacks (NASL) OR vs. Chattanooga FC (NPSL)
Portland Timbers (MLS) at Charleston Battery (USL PRO) OR vs. Orlando City U-23s (PDL)
Colorado Rapids (MLS) vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL) / Orlando City (USL PRO) winner

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I just want Indy to beat up the entire state of Ohio. That would be grand.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

whypick1 posted:

Since someone was to lazy to provide a link or any other info (:cheeky:), I shall:

New England Revolution (MLS) at Richmond Kickers (USL PRO) OR vs. N.Y. Greek American Atlas (USASA)
New York Red Bulls (MLS) at New York Cosmos (NASL) OR vs. Brooklyn Italians (NPSL)
Philadelphia Union (MLS) vs. Harrisburg City Islanders (USL PRO) / Baltimore Bohemians (PDL) winner
D.C. United (MLS) at Rochester Rhinos (USL PRO) OR vs. Reading United (PDL)
Columbus Crew (MLS) vs. Dayton Dutch Lions (USL PRO) / Indy Eleven (NASL) winner
Chicago Fire (MLS) vs. RWB Adria (USASA) / Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USL PRO) winner
Sporting Kansas City (MLS) vs. Minnesota United (NASL) / Des Moines Menace (USASA) winner
Houston Dynamo (MLS) vs. Laredo Heat (PDL) / Fort Lauderdale Strikers (NASL) winner
FC Dallas (MLS) vs. NTX Rayados (USASA) / San Antonio Scorpions (NASL) winner
LA Galaxy (MLS) at Arizona United SC (USL PRO) OR vs. Oklahoma City Energy (USL PRO)
San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) vs. Fresno Fuego (PDL) / Sacramento Republic (USL PRO) winner
Chivas USA (MLS) at Carolina RailHawks (NASL) OR vs. Charlotte Eagles (USL PRO)
Seattle Sounders (MLS) at LA Galaxy II (USL PRO) OR vs. PSA Elite (USASA)
Real Salt Lake (MLS) at Atlanta Silverbacks (NASL) OR vs. Chattanooga FC (NPSL)
Portland Timbers (MLS) at Charleston Battery (USL PRO) OR vs. Orlando City U-23s (PDL)
Colorado Rapids (MLS) vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL) / Orlando City (USL PRO) winner

The Earthquakes game will be in San Francisco at Kezar Stadium.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I do hope I get a road trip to Rochester.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

No, you didn't see Nelson Rivas playing for Montreal in the VCup final, that was just a weather balloon. Possibly a ghost.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

New York and some Salvador team in the winners group? I'll have some of that.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

MDR MDR va à la poubelle

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
Indy Eleven won tonight 5-2 (!) over Dayton Dutch Lions FC. First ever victory for the Eleven. Next up we play the Columbus Crew in Akron for some reason!

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
lol at the Florida NASL teams. Nice one guys.

I am going to be in Dallas when the Scorps play Dallas on June 17th...

Suqit fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 29, 2014

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Full list of 4th round matchups

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 29, 2014

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
MNUFC beats Des Moines The Menace Soccer team, finally, to play SKC.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

awyeahz posted:

Indy Eleven won tonight 5-2 (!) over Dayton Dutch Lions FC. First ever victory for the Eleven. Next up we play the Columbus Crew in Akron for some reason!

Dear neighbor,

Please beat Columbus.

Love,
Chicago Fire

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
Lol first ever victory and the NASL season is almost over.

GLHF I11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Montreal is the new Toronto, evidently.

(propping up the league while actually showing up for the VCup)

• Locked thread