Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Some brain damage schadenfreude. A scientology 'success stories' video leaked: http://www.56.com/u73/v_MTE1MDcxOTQy.html

I made some gifs from a few bits but honestly the whole thing is amazing.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's gotten to the point where you can find compilations of 'in the hood' pranks gone wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsHLMDc-Z-c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OUmjTGdeQQ

So it seems to me like OCK TV is just two skinny dweebs pissing off black people and trying to diffuse the situation by saying it's a jokes.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Assholes can't even get their references right, it's the red pill that lets you out.
:goonsay:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
For the amount of Hollywood connections Scientologists have, you'd think they'd be able to hire people who are actually charismatic and persuasive in their advertisements instead of people who just look like manic weirdos. Well.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Aerofallosov posted:

Maybe I'm old and cranky, but I just don't see it being funny.

Nah, it's just not funny.

Granted I am old and cranky, but BACK IN MY DAY :corsair: a fun prank was putting a rubber band on the little sprayer on the sink and waiting for someone to turn it on. No one ever thought "BOY THROWING THIS MILK ON THE GROUND WILL BE ~HILARIOUS~" and we'd have probably slapped em upside the head for mentioning something that god damned stupid.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Rabble posted:

Pynselvaia

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Schadenfreude thread has fulfilled a fantasy of mine mere days after bookmarking the thread. :gerty:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Drone_Fragger posted:

I hope everyone who does those kinds of "pranks" unironically dies becaus they're not funny it's just flat up being a dick to people then going "BUT ITS A PRANK DUDE! HA HA HA!!!!"

The absolute best ones are those that immediately result in so much violence that they can't even 'diffuse' the situation by yelling it's a prank.

"Ey yo man let me just take your phone from your ha-FFRTRTRGFFDSDFDLSJDLKSJKLJKLRGJKLKJLKE uuuuuuuuuughIT'S A PRANK PRANK PRANK STOP STOP STOP"

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im so happy see just punishment being doled out. gently caress teenagers and their rap music.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

I think this was in one of those failed prank compilations, but surely it deserves to be appreciated on its own because holy gently caress that punch.

:nms: if you don't wanna see a gnarly face wound.

e: VVVV in all fairness, I don't think this ~og prankster~ had time to decide how to react to the other guy's aggression.

Rad Tad has a new favorite as of 10:58 on Jul 11, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rad Tad posted:

I think this was in one of those failed prank compilations, but surely it deserves to be appreciated on its own because holy gently caress that punch.

:nms: if you don't wanna see a gnarly face wound.

I even kinda like this dude, he just rolls with it and is pretty much "whelp I deserved that. Oh well." Pranksters who will actually accept that if you're a jackass to someone they might knock you out strike me as a lot less pathetic than "BAWWW IT'S A PRAAAANK."

(that was still a fun punch to watch though)

Magres has a new favorite as of 11:00 on Jul 11, 2014

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Palpek posted:

Some brain damage schadenfreude. A scientology 'success stories' video leaked: http://www.56.com/u73/v_MTE1MDcxOTQy.html

what the gently caress are these people talking about :psyduck:

The schadenfreude is that every single one of these people paid thousands, probably tens of thousands of dollars to believe this horseshit that is Scientology.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Magres posted:

I even kinda like this dude, he just rolls with it and is pretty much "whelp I deserved that. Oh well." Pranksters who will actually accept that if you're a jackass to someone they might knock you out strike me as a lot less pathetic than "BAWWW IT'S A PRAAAANK."

(that was still a fun punch to watch though)

The thought of all the sweet YouTube hits his knockout would garner probably sweetened the deal just a little. I'm not even mad about that, because I watched the gently caress out of it. drat, that punch.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

As I see it there's two options:

a) Doing these things "as a prank" doesn't actually differ from doing them for any other reason.
II Doing these things "as a prank" is worse then doing them for any other reason because you're actually farting at someone for the sole purpose of making money.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Can't wait to see him croak during the ol' Food Stamps On A String Prank In The Hood ITSAPRANK ITSAPRANK

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Or if a bunch of guys just stomped him into a red smear while shouting "This is a better prank!"

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Merijn posted:

The schadenfreude is that every single one of these people paid thousands, probably tens of thousands of dollars to believe this horseshit that is Scientology.
After being cut off from their families and friends and brainwashed. It's not your garden variety pseudoscientific bullshit, it's an actual cult. It systematically breaks down the resistance of its victims, reprogramming them to accept the cult dogma. Not the first, probably not the last, but probably the most successful. I have nothing but sympathy for their victims.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Merijn posted:

what the gently caress are these people talking about :psyduck:

quote:

In the late 1970s L. Ron Hubbard made an important breakthrough in the field of insanity and its true underlying cause. Both being insane and "not being OT" actually have the same common reason.

While evil purposes have a lot to do with it, evil purposes are merely the result of "safe assumptions" made in resolving an earlier and bigger problem and are merely "locks" on the actual chain of events.

L-10

L-10 consists of a series of 23 actions. They address the reasons why a thetan restrains himself or doesn't act. L-10 reaches far deeper into the case than the pc is even aware of.

This is done by bypassing the standard mechanism of the mind's protection. The assessing style in L-10 is such that the auditor addresses the pc directly. A normal assessment is done between the auditor and the pc's bank.

Therefore the rule "Any auditing is better than no auditing" doesn’t apply here. To deliver a badly-run L-10 can key in the pc badly and make him worse for a long time. Pierre Ethier has stated online that to run L-10 correctly requires a thoroughly-trained Class X auditor who not merely knows what can be found on the Internet, but also the full theory of the technology, its whole background, all of its remedies, the exact L-10 EP, and a mastery of extremely smooth and in-ARC TRs as well as Method 6 Assessment. Such a Class X auditor needs to be a complete master at E-meter Drill 28 (seeing reads without looking at the needle directly).

L-10 is a thorough rundown: it addresses every dynamic as well as key areas of charge common to most thetans. It also addresses areas specific to the individual pc. On many L-10 steps the EP is not merely an F/N or cognition but a blow. In other words, formerly-charged items or terminals will never come back. It is the most effective Scientology rundown for making a person more at cause and capable of action. The goal of L-10 is: "To address the root cause of what makes the thetan stop acting like an OT and withhold himself, instead of using his full power."

L-11, New Life Rundown

L-11 addresses the main area of irrationality that introverts a being or lessens his power. To erase this big aberration can lead to a new life and to a new viewpoint of spiritual/mental sanity and rationality. L-11 can slice through the core of the case and eliminate the fundamental aberration on a case.

L-11 Expanded is an expansion of the gains gotten from L-11 and can result in increased awareness.

L-12, OT Executive Rundown

L-12 can cause a tremendously increased stability, certainty and control of beingness. Through a number of specific approaches, all past identities or beingnesses, that may have affected the person, can be blown apart until only the fundamental beingness of the person himself remains. Correctly done, it can result in an individual who will remain extremely stable, even in the face of the worst adversity.

Grade chart position and tech estimate

Each L Rundown can be done in the CofS after any of the following processing actions: Expanded Grade IV, NED (if the pc didn't go Clear), Sunshine Rundown (if the pc went Clear on NED), OT III, New OT IV, New OT VIII. In the 1980s and 1990s the Ls were delivered at FSO at the Flag Land Base after New OT VII too, but then RTC decided otherwise. So far there is no technical reason known to recommend this change.

Every pc is different. But by actual experience one might say, an L-10 done standardly requires four intensives or more.

L-11 and L-11 Expanded take about one intensive for the two together.

L-12 takes about one intensive or a little more.

Occasionally pcs can run slightly short of those amounts. However someone who runs L-11 or L-12 in significantly less hours than mentioned is being quickied on the level. An L-10 done in less than three intensives is unrealistic.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

L. Ron Hubbard made an important breakthrough in the field of bilking idiots out of their money. He figured that instead of writing loving shitawful sci-fi novels, he would start a church and then use the money he made to be a pederast on the high seas.
Fixed that for you

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tl;dr lovely sci-fi author discovers that by couching his writing in pseudo-spiritual bullshit and pretending it means something he can fleece people of millions.

e: Wait, didn't know he was a pedo too. God drat.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
God drat, Javier Mascherano literally tore himself a new rear end in a top hat in the world cup this year. After getting a concussion anyway.

As much as I hate soccer for all the retarded flops and overacting, tearing your rear end in a top hat open in a soccer match is pretty horrible. At least he wasn't a brazilian player, cause that'd be a whole new level of rape jokes headed his way.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Well at least we can agree on one thing.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

razorrozar posted:

Tl;dr lovely sci-fi author discovers that by couching his writing in pseudo-spiritual bullshit and pretending it means something he can fleece people of millions.

e: Wait, didn't know he was a pedo too. God drat.

The weird thing is that I read several books on how Scientology is a scam designed to con people out of their money and believe a badly-written sci-fi story, and Palpek's post still taught me some bullshit I hadn't heard before.

The Scientology rabbit hole goes insanely deep.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Everything you need to know about scientology.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Hydrolith posted:

After being cut off from their families and friends and brainwashed. It's not your garden variety pseudoscientific bullshit, it's an actual cult. It systematically breaks down the resistance of its victims, reprogramming them to accept the cult dogma. Not the first, probably not the last, but probably the most successful. I have nothing but sympathy for their victims.

On the other hand, it does convince you that once you've done the training, you can tapdance through life and never do wrong (as long as you keep getting audited), which is exactly why you can't find anyone who buys into it and doesn't have that manic, intense stare. They all truly believe they've been handed the keys to life's Ferrari when everyone else is driving an early 90s Geo Metro. Tom Cruise on Oprah was relatively normal behaviour for a can-squeezer because that's just what humanity is like when they're cleared and become an Operating Thetan™, man.

One Swell Foop has a new favorite as of 16:11 on Jul 11, 2014

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

JamesieAB posted:

Welcome to the early 90s in internet website design!

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

JamesieAB posted:

I haven't been able to find the video, but one of the main anti-Scientology dudes out there - one that Anonymous threw all the support in the world behind - posted a video of a protest outside a Scieno centre from a year earlier. Couple of people with signs, pretty much crickets chriping. Then he showed the same scheduled protest a year later and it's ABJECT LUNACY. Probably close to a thousand people, whistles, yelling, parading up and down the street in front of the Scieno depot.

I've seen a few videos where he was moved to tears to see his cause get actual support, but, man, that was one of the highlights of it all. Can't even imagine what it must be like to fight a truly evil organization with almost no support and all of a sudden have the whole freaking world show up and have your back. Just fantastic.

And on the prank thing, I think this will go the way of the happy slap pretty quickly. That died off with all sort of speed when kids were getting the poo poo kicked out of them post-slap and those videos started surfacing.

In this case it's going to be one of the these fuckers getting killed because they're already at the getting the poo poo kicked out of them stage. Really wish we didn't have to see someone die over this, but we already know that's exactly how this is going to finally come to an end. And dare I say it will be Darwinism at it's finest.

acejackson42 has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Jul 11, 2014

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Palpek posted:

:magical: The crazy emanating from my computer screen... I've never seen people talk so enthusiastically about nothing. I mean, when Louis Thoreaux went inside the WBC at least they had concrete ideas to talk about and a party line for their cult that made a twisted sort of sense. This...this is just complete insanity.

I just heard the words "When she opened the indoctrination booklet" and that sentence ended with "This is what I've been missing?!"

I fundamentally do not understand how you lose your mind enough to join a cult and not have something you do or say just snap you out of it entirely. I watched a netflix documentary about this a few days ago and I still just don't understand at all.

TheSpiritFox has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Jul 11, 2014

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

This makes me hope that the idiots who pull those 'pranks' will get charged with a hundred counts of harassment, mischief or whatever else you can call all of that.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The psychology of cults is fascinating and I don't pretend to understand it all, but it has something to do with how smart people are used to understanding things the people around them don't, so when someone shows them "secret knowledge" they glom onto it and twist their minds into weird shapes trying to understand it while denying that they really don't get it. The fact that it's incomprehensible bullshit all the way down isn't a deterrent, it's just another "level" with a nugget of truth to be revealed at the end of it like a mental mouse snack at the end of a seriously hosed up maze.

I give Hubbard no credit at all for knowing any of this, or for deliberately crafting such a concentrated form of loony.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

What you have to understand is that before this stuff broke, the crazy part of Scientology was hidden deep, deep down. You had to be a high-level member before you got to find out the true origin of the world. By the time you ever heard the name Xenu, you'd been a church member for years and attended hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of Clearings and been alienated from everybody in your former life.

You have a choice at that point. You can leave the church knowing that you have no friends, no assets, and that once you're gone you will be labeled a Suppressive Person and the people you considered your brothers will be duty-bound to destroy your life, or you can stay and try to reconcile things in your head. After all, it's not really that crazy an idea, is it? Christianity's got some pretty out-there stuff too, doesn't it? And this sure would explain a lot of things. Yeah, you know what? It makes perfect sense! Wow! I'm so glad to have my eyes opened after all these years of not knowing that there were millions of ancient extraterrestrial souls inhabiting my body!

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
The entire basic premise of Scientology - boiled down to its very core - is the process of gathering enough negative information about you that it can be used against you as blackmail if you decide to leave and from there keep you around and paying them money.

And here's the glorious thing - enough people now know this that even the most heinous poo poo that you actually did can be written off as 'Scientology shitheels making it up because I won't give then $90,000 for OT2.' There are still some gullible folk out there who either think people still believe what Scienos say combined with the sunken cost fallacy, but their ranks are thinning out.

We aren't too far away from the IRS realizing this as well - once it cracks through that no one believes a word these shitheels say about anyone anymore given their complete dishonesty at every level in the past, that'll be it. And I really, really hope ole Miscarraige is in power to see it happen.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Trundel posted:

This makes me hope that the idiots who pull those 'pranks' will get charged with a hundred counts of harassment, mischief or whatever else you can call all of that.

Someone has to care enough to file charges and it's probably a lot more satisfying to just slap the poo poo out of the dumbass a couple of times and call it even.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

A rare case of standing fencing response

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

canepazzo posted:

A rare case of standing fencing response

Looks like a good way to mess up your backyard.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

RandomFerret posted:

You have a choice at that point. You can leave the church knowing that you have no friends, no assets, and that once you're gone you will be labeled a Suppressive Person and the people you considered your brothers will be duty-bound to destroy your life, or you can stay and try to reconcile things in your head.

Duty bound to destroy your life? Like, specifically to work to undo someone or something like that? Not just amish style shunning but active life sabotage?

I don't know that much about scientology except what pops up in a thread now and then and the jokes I've seen and the lawsuits I've heard of for people who say bad things about the church. What exactly do they do to people who leave? I'm starting to go through that operation clambake website, is it all there? Sorry to scientology derail this stuff is just fascinating and I know almost nothing about them.

flakeloaf posted:

The psychology of cults is fascinating and I don't pretend to understand it all, but it has something to do with how smart people are used to understanding things the people around them don't, so when someone shows them "secret knowledge" they glom onto it and twist their minds into weird shapes trying to understand it while denying that they really don't get it. The fact that it's incomprehensible bullshit all the way down isn't a deterrent, it's just another "level" with a nugget of truth to be revealed at the end of it like a mental mouse snack at the end of a seriously hosed up maze.

I give Hubbard no credit at all for knowing any of this, or for deliberately crafting such a concentrated form of loony.

You know I can kinda get this as a former catholic. I tried to make it all fit. I learned about evolution and I tried to fit it in with church dogma (not all that hard, Catholics ascribe to intelligent design which is just "Evolution Because God". At the same time, Catholicism has had forever to flesh itself out into the War and Peace of religions and Scientology seems more like The Hardy Boys meets the novelization of ET or something. Really, what it comes down to is the difference between Catholicism which can and does allow for you to form communities with people who are not Catholics without it threatening your faith and Scientology which purposefully isolates you from anyone and then uses blackmail and threats to keep people in line.

I guess most people don't realize the blackmail and isolation until it's already under way? I just don't understand on any level letting some outside group dictate who you spend time around or associate with, to determine for you who "good" people are and who "bad" people are.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

weep Miami weep

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

TheSpiritFox posted:

Duty bound to destroy your life? Like, specifically to work to undo someone or something like that? Not just amish style shunning but active life sabotage?

Like bankrupt you with frivolous lawsuits, phone your house at all hours, picket your workplace, present your family members with faked proof of affairs and literally harass you until you kill yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Aerofallosov posted:

Maybe I'm old and cranky, but I just don't see it being funny.

Same here. Some poor bastard working minimum wage has to go clean up after these little shits.

I remember ages back when there was (very briefly) a fad to go into stores and just jump right into the displays, smashing everything and then running out. So satisfying when the idiots doing it got arrested.

Ruining other peoples' poo poo isn't funny.

• Locked thread