Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The leather jacket /= spandex image should be handed around to every artist working at the big 2. Nitpicking realism with the costume is pretty ridiculous. It' supposed to be a mixture of "found items" and Bat gear combined to make a stylish and modern costume. It's what should have happened to the character from the start of nu52.

ImpAtom posted:

The big problem I have with that design is that the lines on the belt are way at odds with the lines of her jacket. It stands out a lot more in the third picture than it does in the initial debut picture.

Edit: Also there is no way this character isn't supposed to be a teenager, which isn't really a problem at all, but it's totally a soft-reboot.

It's a soft reboot in the sense that all new ongoings are effectively that but Stewart has come out an said she's 21, the exact same age she's been for the entirety of the nu52.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Waterhaul posted:

It's a soft reboot in the sense that all new ongoings are effectively that but Stewart has come out an said she's 21, the exact same age she's been for the entirety of the nu52.

If Babs is 21 where does that put Grayson?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I've been working out for moths now and in my experience, for any physically demanding activity having form fitting clothes or smaller clothing is better (think olympic athletes gear). The obvious downside is the lack of protection but that shouldn't be a big concern for someone as powerful like Kory or even Superman (since there isn't a real reason for him to use an armor)
________/

(Yes, sorry emptyquote but it's just too easy)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Well I know I'm over thinking it but that just the price I have to pay for always being right.
Except your argument is that capes are dumb and require some big explanation. Batman doesn't wear a cape because it's a glider. He wears a cape because his whole deal is dressing like a bat and his cape kinda looks like bat-wings. Batgirl wears a cape because she dresses like Batman. Her new costume has the snaps because it makes the most sense with her leather jacket. She doesn't need to be in bright purple with little pointy bat-ears on her head either.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I know this is probably a :can: but would anyone be having this argument if Robin had a snap-on cape?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tracula posted:

I know this is probably a :can: but would anyone be having this argument if Robin had a snap-on cape?

Probably. It's not like, say, Batman's costume doesn't get discussed whenever it changes significantly.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tracula posted:

It's distasteful to dress a corpse in a snap-on cape.

e: Here's the Gail story now:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/11/gail-simone-left-batgirl-over-creative-differences-with-the-editor-who-then-left-dc-comics/
She left the book over creative differences with an editor who left right afterwards anyhow. That's some bad timing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 11, 2014

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Frank Miller actively mocked Damien's costume in ASBR and I have really strong feelings about how Bamtman's cape should fall on his shoulders and if he should or should not wear black shorts.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Except your argument is that capes are dumb and require some big explanation. Batman doesn't wear a cape because it's a glider. He wears a cape because his whole deal is dressing like a bat and his cape kinda looks like bat-wings. Batgirl wears a cape because she dresses like Batman. Her new costume has the snaps because it makes the most sense with her leather jacket. She doesn't need to be in bright purple with little pointy bat-ears on her head either.

No my opinion is capes are dumb and require no in story explanation because we know why they are wearing capes just like we know why she's got useless pointy ears. The gliders that look like bird/bat wings and the snap on capes and the daredevil horns being radar sense focusing antenna in comics are dumb because they are an attempt to justify something that doesn't need justification and in the attempt just remind people how dumb what they are trying to justify is.

We know why terrorists can't hit John McClain and explaining it as them all being half overfull washing machine on their mother's side just reminds us they really should have shot him dead by now by sheer number of bullets and random chance.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

If we're going for real world standards I wouldn't call it practical, the snap on cape isn't necessary and a leather jacket isn't optimal for fighting either. I mean despite how much I like Jason's Red Hood gear even I have to admit he would have a heatstroke wearing that on the tropic and by using a leather jacket every day I can say isn't something I would like to use on a fight.

They still look cool as hell though.
Leather motorcycle jackets are built with heavy leather capable of not being torn apart by sliding across the ground at 60 or 70 mph (or more!) while having flexible portions that make it easy to move around. There's lots and lots jackets and pants available with perforations for hotter weather. It's very practical and very protective. It makes a lot of sense for a powerless superhero, actually, and looks like what her jacket was designed as. It's very different from fashion leather which is probably what Jason Todd wears since he appears to have armor under his jacket.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

No my opinion is capes are dumb and require no in story explanation because we know why they are wearing capes just like we know why she's got useless pointy ears. The gliders that look like bird/bat wings and the snap on capes and the daredevil horns being radar sense focusing antenna in comics are dumb because they are an attempt to justify something that doesn't need justification and in the attempt just remind people how dumb what they are trying to justify is.

We know why terrorists can't hit John McClain and explaining it as them all being half overfull washing machine on their mother's side just reminds us they really should have shot him dead by now by sheer number of bullets and random chance.
Oh okay. Well, I just don't think they're trying to make capes realistic. The snaps are just what makes sense for the leather jacket.

Also, counterpoint, capes are awesome. Specifically Superman and Batman's capes. I feel like we take the latter for granted, but the idea of the cape forming batwings was a brilliant idea on Finger's part.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's distasteful to dress a corpse in a snap-on cape.

e: Here's the Gail story now:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/11/gail-simone-left-batgirl-over-creative-differences-with-the-editor-who-then-left-dc-comics/
She left the book over creative differences with an editor who left right afterwards anyhow. That's some bad timing.

Bad timing? I don't think there's anything bad about the timing here other than it should've happened years ago. This looks and sounds like the book everyone wanted back when this new 52 boondoggle started. The only difference between what we wanted and what this is, is Steph.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The snaps look cool, they have kind of an epaulette feel to them that goes well with the leather jacket. You see that kind of detailing on a lot of jackets and outerwear these days. Even if it doesn't make any "tactical sense," it distinguishes her look from all the other cape-wearing characters. Why does Doctor Doom have those two little discs and the gold chain? Because they look great.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 11, 2014

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

RevKrule posted:

Bad timing? I don't think there's anything bad about the timing here other than it should've happened years ago. This looks and sounds like the book everyone wanted back when this new 52 boondoggle started. The only difference between what we wanted and what this is, is Steph.

If this leads to a Batgirls boom with Babs, Cass and Steph then ALL ABOARD

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Frank Miller actively mocked Damien's costume in ASBR and I have really strong feelings about how Bamtman's cape should fall on his shoulders and if he should or should not wear black shorts.

I like that Morrison taunted Miller right back about it. Hoods are great!

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 11, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Endless Mike posted:

Leather motorcycle jackets are built with heavy leather capable of not being torn apart by sliding across the ground at 60 or 70 mph (or more!) while having flexible portions that make it easy to move around. There's lots and lots jackets and pants available with perforations for hotter weather. It's very practical and very protective. It makes a lot of sense for a powerless superhero, actually, and looks like what her jacket was designed as. It's very different from fashion leather which is probably what Jason Todd wears since he appears to have armor under his jacket.

So it wouldn't be insane to wear them on the tropic? That was a something it bugged me on Pfeifer's arc. He had Jason training in the beach on full gear (helmet, armor, jacket) that's asking for a heatstroke and doesn't make sense when they're supposed to have some R&R.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Any idea why Vol 2 of Knightfall doesn't include the issues of Shadow of the Bat and Legends of the Dark Knight from "The Search"? SotB skips from #20 to #24.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

Any idea why Vol 2 of Knightfall doesn't include the issues of Shadow of the Bat and Legends of the Dark Knight from "The Search"? SotB skips from #20 to #24.
Let me tell you about the DC Collections Department...

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.newsarama.com/21547-dc-s-october-2014-batman-eternal-solicitations.html

Eternal Solicits for October are out of note, the Deacon Blackfire is back.

Look at that loving cover, badass :black101:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 11, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yo. Eternal solicits are like, twelve issues ahead. Let's ease on openly posting any story details, please.

RevKrule posted:

It's great for you and me*, but I still feel bad for Gail feeling she had to leave when the issue maybe becomes moot very soon afterwards.

*The way Michel Fiffe's All-New Ultimates promise turned to poo poo has me slightly cautious about a kind of similar sounding revamp.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 11, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Spoilered, although it was something predictable. :shrug:

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

redbackground posted:

Let me tell you about the DC Collections Department...

Oh, I'm well aware, I just wasn't sure if there was a more complex reason than the collection department's stupidity.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

Oh, I'm well aware, I just wasn't sure if there was a more complex reason than the collection department's stupidity.

Unshockingly, no, no there is not.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

*The way Michel Fiffe's All-New Ultimates promise turned to poo poo has me slightly cautious about a kind of similar sounding revamp.

That book is good and getting better.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

chime_on posted:

That book is good and getting better.

Really? The first two issue let me way down.

e: Not that we should get into a Marvel Ultimate book in the Batman topic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 11, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Kaleidoscope posted:

If Babs is 21 where does that put Grayson?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Can anyone recommend me any Bat-issues wherein members of the Batfamily do cool superheroic stuff out of costume? I like 'em all except Jason. He can die in a fire.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hiddenriverninja posted:

Can anyone recommend me any Bat-issues wherein members of the Batfamily do cool superheroic stuff out of costume?
Batman Confidential 18.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

Can anyone recommend me any Bat-issues wherein members of the Batfamily do cool superheroic stuff out of costume? I like 'em all except Jason. He can die in a fire.

There was some Matches Malone stuff in Batman Incorporated.
e: Grayson #1, of course.

ee: Oh yeah. In the last Justice League issue, Bruce karate kicked Lex Luthor in a cardigan.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 12, 2014

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

hiddenriverninja posted:

If you don't mind pre-new52 books, Streets of Gotham #10-11 is a short Damian story where he takes on Zsaz alongside Colin, a kid who has the power to turn into a freakish giant called Abuse due to Venom injections. He's out of costume the entire time.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Teenage Fansub posted:

ee: Oh yeah. In the last Justice League issue, Bruce karate kicked Lex Luthor in a cardigan.

God that is brilliant. Looks like his nemesis should be the DadJoker.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What do people think about the CGI show "Beware the Batman!"?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It was pretty bad, especially after Brave And The Bold. Not to mention the Green Lantern cartoon being pretty dang solid.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
And Young Justice :(

Read Grayson. it's got promise. He should be blonde more!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I ask because it's on tv right now, I like that the villains are b-listers. Did it get cancelled?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Kurtofan posted:

I ask because it's on tv right now, I like that the villains are b-listers. Did it get cancelled?

It got super cancelled. I've only seen the first episode, but I enjoyed it at least.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Howard Hughes as Batman....That actually makes perfect sense.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I thought the voice-acting on Beware the Batman was super-awful, and I also just have a grudge against most CGI cartoons, but that one's animation was particularly blocky and uninspiring.

I wish Young Justice had stuck around more. That actually seemed like a really good intro into comics for a lot of kids, a lot more than most DC cartoons which generally end up being universes in and of themselves. Of course, that's more an intro into Old DC, so there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Supposedly there are rumors of an announcement for season 3 of Young Justice that may or may not come at SDCC. But just rumors.

• Locked thread