Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

A friend just shared this and I'm still :psyduck:

http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2014/07/prostitute-accused-of-murdering-google.html

That doesn't sound like an accident.

From the CNN article about this:

quote:

Tichelman describes herself as a model, makeup artist and writer on what appears to be her Facebook page. It says she formerly worked at Larry Flynt's Hustler Club and studied journalism at Georgia State University in Atlanta.

"It's really nice to talk with someone about killing sprees and murdering people in cold blood...and they love it too," a June 28 post on the page reads. "No judgement (sic). Yay! F**k all of that positivity bullsh**. Take a look around you. Life is hard and then you die."

No, it looks very much intentional in the light of that quotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

McDowell posted:

The best part is that after Watergate the Muskie people started thinking Hunter was an agent for Nixon

Also McCarthy should have taken HST's advice and done a photo-op drinking beer on the beach in a Grateful Dead tee

poo poo, from what HST writes in the book Muskie's people already thought that. Doesn't help that Watergate proved Nixon really had played some dirty tricks against Muskie's campaign, not that they needed to.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chantilly Say posted:

poo poo, from what HST writes in the book Muskie's people already thought that. Doesn't help that Watergate proved Nixon really had played some dirty tricks against Muskie's campaign, not that they needed to.

My conspiracy theory is that Nixon knew about Eagleton's mental health issues before McCarthy did

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The most important thing to remember about CREEP is that they were consistently incompetent and it didn't make a difference.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The only Watergate material I ever read was Chuck Coulson's book about his conversion to Christianity, when I was at a homeless shelter. I don't know how big Coulson's role in it was but the book gave me the distinct impression he was whitewashing himself, he claimed to have known nothing about anything until after the fact.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

razorrozar posted:

The only Watergate material I ever read was Chuck Coulson's book about his conversion to Christianity, when I was at a homeless shelter. I don't know how big Coulson's role in it was but the book gave me the distinct impression he was whitewashing himself, he claimed to have known nothing about anything until after the fact.

June 13, 1972

Colson: You know, I've still got a memo here that I sent over to that gathering place across the street in January telling us everything Muskie's doing. And I talked to them three weeks ago and they said they were taping everything, audio, and they were using video wherever we can...And they weren't. They were just doing Humphrey in California ....

President Nixon: Particularly when we now saw that McGovern might well be nominated. Well, anyway, they've got it now? They've got it covered?

Colson: Well, they said so [...]

[Next segment]

President Nixon: For example, that business of the McGovern watch, it just has to be -- it has to be around the clock [...]

President Nixon: You see, because he -- could I just suggest this? Could we, for example, hire even like -- why the hell don't we hire Dick, I don't know whether Dick Perlasky, or a young reporter. Could [White House staffer Kenneth] Clawson find a good young reporter and say he's going to do a book. Teddy White does them...And he just goes over there with his press pass. He doesn't open his mouth, but he just covers the sonofabitch like a blanket.

Colson: I've got a good man to use for that.

President Nixon: I would do it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

June 13, 1972

Colson: You know, I've still got a memo here that I sent over to that gathering place across the street in January telling us everything Muskie's doing. And I talked to them three weeks ago and they said they were taping everything, audio, and they were using video wherever we can...And they weren't. They were just doing Humphrey in California ....

President Nixon: Particularly when we now saw that McGovern might well be nominated. Well, anyway, they've got it now? They've got it covered?

Colson: Well, they said so [...]

[Next segment]

President Nixon: For example, that business of the McGovern watch, it just has to be -- it has to be around the clock [...]

President Nixon: You see, because he -- could I just suggest this? Could we, for example, hire even like -- why the hell don't we hire Dick, I don't know whether Dick Perlasky, or a young reporter. Could [White House staffer Kenneth] Clawson find a good young reporter and say he's going to do a book. Teddy White does them...And he just goes over there with his press pass. He doesn't open his mouth, but he just covers the sonofabitch like a blanket.

Colson: I've got a good man to use for that.

President Nixon: I would do it

:aaaaa: Now I'm willing to believe HST was a Nixon plant.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Hey Absurd Alhazred? I just wanted to say that I really liked your posting in the I/P thread, and it was neat to get the chance to see an average Israeli's take on the conflict. I sorta.. hope you don't read the thread right now, because it's in a pretty bad place, but if there would be a chance for you to effortpost on what Israeli politics are like from your view, that'd be amazing to read.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

illrepute posted:

Hey Absurd Alhazred? I just wanted to say that I really liked your posting in the I/P thread, and it was neat to get the chance to see an average Israeli's take on the conflict. I sorta.. hope you don't read the thread right now, because it's in a pretty bad place, but if there would be a chance for you to effortpost on what Israeli politics are like from your view, that'd be amazing to read.

Wasn't he the guy back during the Israeli protests was talking about how bad the Israeli middle class has it and didn't see any kind of a parallel or comparison to how Arab Israelis and the Palestinians are treated?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Pope Guilty posted:

Wasn't he the guy back during the Israeli protests was talking about how bad the Israeli middle class has it and didn't see any kind of a parallel or comparison to how Arab Israelis and the Palestinians are treated?

The Israeli Middle Class is having problems right now. As for the latter, I didn't see any posting like that, and my goal is not to draw him out for criticism. I'm interested in hearing what Israeli posters think about issues that don't necessarily relate to the One issue I/P threads always turn into.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

SlipUp posted:

That's because you know nothing about heroin, but have the courage to talk about it like you do anyway.

Is this the part of the internet where I say I poo poo trains or something?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

illrepute posted:

I really appreciate your sentiments. I'm not really an average Israeli, being an expat and, you know, being openly hostile to a lot of views most Israelis, even somewhat to the left, would defend without question. I have a lot of sympathy for the people dismissing me as a Hasbara shill, because I used to react the same way, and I have friends who still do; it hurts all the more for it.

That being said, where would be a good effort post for this? And what should I cover? I think I have some insights into Zionist history (from reading a lot of books - I'm not a historian), and I have some grasp of current politics and the balance of power and geopolotics (although I'm not a political scientist), but I wouldn't want to blather on by myself and then be taken as authoritative simply because people like my posting. While I disagree with Kaal about many things, I feel he might have more insightful things to say about anything security related, and Xander's been posting legitimate things, although we have fundamental disagreements. Others have said sensible things, as well.

When the I/P thread started, I was hoping for a thread where you could hear from open-minded Israelis, like me, but also from Palestinians. One second-generation refugee posted once there, I don't know if anyone else did. I do know a lot of them would just not want to talk to an Israeli in this context, and considering how often even leftist Israelis simply dismiss Palestinian history, especially an-Nakba, I can't blame them. Others dismiss talking to Israelis who are not, say, openly and publicly members of the BDS movement as heterodox normalization with the Zionist enemy; I think that's historically been shown to be a bad way of going about it, but again, up to them. In that Platonic thread people from around the world could join in the conversation, argue about substantive differences, etc. Maybe everyone could learn something.

Unfortunately, we got that thread. I am not sure if it's possible to do better in D&D.

Pope Guilty posted:

I don't remember what you're talking about. If you could link to a thread I will be able to defend or be embarrassed about what I said there, depending on what it was that I said, if I did said anything. It's been three years, I do most of my I/P arguing with people on Facebook, and I don't remember that I was very involved with I/P threads here until maybe the 2013 elections, or the refugee thread, whichever one came first. I could be wrong, though.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
I'd hold on to that effortpost for now. Someday, a better thread will arise. We have to hope.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Every time I see references to I/P threads or arguments I have to doublecheck and correct my assumption that it's another EFF thread.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Which parties have you voted for, Alhazred?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

illrepute posted:

Someday, a better thread will arise. We have to hope.

History isn't on your side there. But it's nice to be optimistic.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It kinda sucks how people can get so angry at a culture or group they refuse to believe any of them have anything worth saying. A lot of Israelis are assholes, yes. Why should Absurd have to take the blame for that, especially if he doesn't espouse the views people take issue with?

Then again there's probably no such thing as neutral ground when it comes to Israel/Palestine. :smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Monkey Man posted:

Which parties have you voted for, Alhazred?

I only voted for a party once, and it was for Meretz. For a while I thought I was too radical left wing to do something like voting. Now if I had to choose I would probably vote for Balad (Tajamua, or National Democratic Assembly), a Palestinian nationalist secular party, because while I disagree with some of their views, I think that they are going good places, particularly with their outreach to Mizrahi Jews. I mean, if I could vote for a parliamentarian, I would definitely vote for Ahmed Tibi, but he is currently in a coalition of parties which include the Southern Islamic movement, and I don't see myself voting for a religious party.

However, I think that now that I've moved out of the country, it is inappropriate for me to vote there. It is also logistically a hassle, because there are no absentee ballots.

razorrozar posted:

It kinda sucks how people can get so angry at a culture or group they refuse to believe any of them have anything worth saying. A lot of Israelis are assholes, yes. Why should Absurd have to take the blame for that, especially if he doesn't espouse the views people take issue with?

Then again there's probably no such thing as neutral ground when it comes to Israel/Palestine. :smith:

As we speak my country is bombing people it has kept in an open-air prison for almost a decade now. There are probably at least 100 dead by now (80 last reported), and many more are likely. This, furthermore, has nothing to do with providing the Israeli people with any geopolitical or security gains. So even if we were to accept Israeli claims as to the precision and legitimacy of their bombing campaign, those people have all been killed for absolutely no good reason. I entirely understand why people are upset. I am upset. Most of my friends are upset, and opposed to this, but I get into arguments with friends-of-friends who aren't. Even after having given up on trying to convince them of the immorality of our government's action, just trying to argue on the merits for Israelis qua Israelis, you have to climb a sheer cliff of spite. It's very disheartening.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Don't be sad, friend. I grew up a Yankees fan.

If I can be taught the errors of my ways, anyone can.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Just poppin' in to say I laugh every time I see this pic

look at his stupid pouty face, just look at that big stupid baby

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Wolfsheim posted:

Just poppin' in to say I laugh every time I see this pic

look at his stupid pouty face, just look at that big stupid baby

Is that Governor Perry? Why the long face, Ricky-poo?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Literally "if they take a picture of me smiling with the Kenyan, I'm finished." Obama was probably just riffing the whole time trying to get him to crack. The Finest President.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

Literally "if they take a picture of me smiling with the Kenyan, I'm finished." Obama was probably just riffing the whole time trying to get him to crack. The Finest President.

Yeah, but what's the context? Some kind of inter-governmental thing where the State of the Republic of By God Texas has to deal with those damned DC Carpetbaggers?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Wasn't it the Super Serious Meetup to Discuss the Immigrant Crisis?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

Wasn't it the Super Serious Meetup to Discuss the Immigrant Crisis?

Holy crap, you were right. I'm GISing it and he is absolutely serious in each and every photo.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 11, 2014

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
They must be sweating behind their masks knowing that if they so much as smirk the tea-party shogggoths will boil out of the air vents and flay their tongues.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SedanChair posted:

Obama is so chill. I have no idea if this is true but I read somewhere that he smoked so much weed in college that his friends called him Barack Oganja.

I don't know if I could be so cheery under the pressures he's under.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
barack oganja and the choom gang need to have a reunion concert

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Joementum posted:

If you liked Nixonland, you'll love Before the Storm, which is Perlstein's book about the Goldwater '64 movement. Having read both, I don't think Perlstein is arguing in Nixonland that Dick was the source of the modern political divide in the US. Rather, I think he uses the book to explain the circumstances that surrounded Nixon's resurrection in '68 and re-election in '72, specifically that the "silent majority" was very real. It's good context to have if you grew up in the 80's, 90's, or 00's and learned from TV documentaries that the only things that happened in the late 60's was Woodstock, the Beatles, and The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. That was a minority movement that had an outsized impact on popular culture and I think the point of Nixonland is to tell the other side of the tale, focusing on the avatar of the silent majority.

I enjoyed Nixon Agonistes a bit more because it focuses on the causes of the political culture in America and explains why there was nobody better to stamp the dirt down on American Liberalism than Nixon. It was also written in 1969-70, so it comes before the fall of the institution of the President.

Oh, and obviously you should read Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 if you haven't already.

before the storm is next on my reading list and i read fear and loathing on campaign trail years ago but i think i was too young to really appreciate it. might give it a re-read. i usually stay away from books about politics but i had heard so many good things about nixonland over the past few years that i had to check it out and it's really been eye opening

maybe it wasn't that nixon was the source of the modern political divide, but he seems to make the case that nixon found out a way to exploit the fears and anxieties it in a way that allowed the 1972 landslide to happen, like the realization that he could get the hard hats to vote against their own economic interests by appealing to their distrust of hippies and other "cultural" issues. after he showed how effective the strategy could be, it has been used by the right ever since

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm guessing Perry didn't take Obama to Niggerhead.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Zizek: Plagiarist

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Who is zizek?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

drilldo squirt posted:

Who is zizek?

You've never heard of Zizek?

Let me frame it in this way: Do you know of a man whose bedroom is adorned with two posters: one of Stalin, the other a promotional poster for Battlefield: Modern Warfare?

That's Zizek.

(i'm not kidding)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Zizek is a Markov generator given human form.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
If Zizek didn't exist, we'd have to invent him.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

illrepute posted:

You've never heard of Zizek?

Let me frame it in this way: Do you know of a man whose bedroom is adorned with two posters: one of Stalin, the other a promotional poster for Battlefield: Modern Warfare?

That's Zizek.

(i'm not kidding)

He sounds like a cool guy.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

drilldo squirt posted:

He sounds like a cool guy.

He is, plagiarism notwithstanding. I'll have to dig up the article of a journalist interviewing him one time, with Zizek conducting the interview through his closed bathroom door while sitting on the toilet.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
So is he just crazy or selling books to idiots for money?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Zizek is popular because Zizek is an incredibly goony man. I strongly suspect he adorns his bedroom with anime posters.

drilldo squirt posted:

So is he just crazy or selling books to idiots for money?

Fallacy alert: False Dichotomy. Why not both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Discendo Vox posted:

Zizek is popular because Zizek is an incredibly goony man. I strongly suspect he adorns his bedroom with anime posters.

Fallacy alert: False Dichotomy. Why not both?

Based on his plagiarism and toilet thing it gives the impression of a dude who found a nitch to write for and wrote what they wanted to hear. Sorta like glen beck.

• Locked thread