Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

illrepute posted:

Let me frame it in this way: Do you know of a man whose bedroom is adorned with two posters: one of Stalin, the other a promotional poster for Battlefield: Modern Warfare?
I'm famous?! :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
I don't really think he's either. I've actually read a few of his books and when it comes to Lacan he's actually legit. He's definitely on the goony end of the spectrum, though. He attracts some interesting fans. He's got some movies out that I'd actually recommend, Pervert's Guide to Cinema and Pervert's Guide to Ideology are cool, especially for the scene in Cinema where it plays the Morpheus-offering-the-pill-to-Neo-clip and then cuts back to Neo, only Zizek is sitting in the chair and lectures Morpheus about "reality" with his goony-rear end face reflected in Morpheus's shades. It's seriously funny as hell.

illrepute fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 11, 2014

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

illrepute posted:

I don't really think he's either. I've actually read a few of his books and when it comes to Lacan he's actually legit. He's definitely on the goony end of the spectrum, though. He attracts some interesting fans. He's got some movies out that I'd actually recommend, Pervert's Guide to Cinema and Pervert's Guide to Ideology are cool, especially for the scene in Cinema where it plays the Morpheus-offering-the-pill-to-Neo-clip and then cuts back to Neo, only Zizek is sitting in the chair and lectures Morpheus about "reality" with his goony-rear end face reflected in Morpheus's shades. It's seriously funny as hell.

He sounds like dnd made flesh.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Question with many points: Why no India/South Asia Megathread? The obvious answer would be lack of Indian D&D posters, but considering the smattering of nationalities represented, I figured a subcontinent with billions of people, English as an official language, and lovely internet would have at least a few people on SA's debate forum. That said, lakh and crore are dumb and they should stop being used.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

drilldo squirt posted:

He sounds like dnd made flesh.

His Lacanian word salads were a big hit in LF.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Aurubin posted:

Question with many points: Why no India/South Asia Megathread? The obvious answer would be lack of Indian D&D posters, but considering the smattering of nationalities represented, I figured a subcontinent with billions of people, English as an official language, and lovely internet would have at least a few people on SA's debate forum. That said, lakh and crore are dumb and they should stop being used.

The last India thread was made up of invaders from GBS who were arguing that India was better off under the British.

The one Indian guy I know on the forums, a cool guy, was driven to such anger that he pretty much quit posting because of it. India has a lot of problems, none of which are helped by childish posturing by edgy morons. Throw in the occasionally posting by clowns that "at least the British banned Sari*" (they meant Sati, the practice of ritualized widow burning, but instead were talking about a style of clothing worn in the subcontinent) and you've got yourself a thread nobody wants to remember.

illrepute fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 11, 2014

ufarn
May 30, 2009

drilldo squirt posted:

Based on his plagiarism and toilet thing it gives the impression of a dude who found a nitch to write for and wrote what they wanted to hear. Sorta like glen beck.
Kids in humanities don't exactly have a lot of (living) rock stars, so some are desperate enough to go for Zizek.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

illrepute posted:

The last India thread was made up of invaders from GBS who were arguing that India was better off under the British.

The one Indian guy I know on the forums, a cool guy, was driven to such anger that he pretty much quit posting because of it. India has a lot of problems, none of which are helped by childish posturing by edgy morons. Throw in the occasionally posting my clowns that "at least the British banned Sari*" (they meant Sati, the practice of ritualized widow burning, but instead were talking about a style of clothing worn in the subcontinent) and you've got yourself a thread nobody wants to remember.

Ah, that's disappointing. With the conclusion of the recent elections I was curious to see what the newly elected BJP government looked like from the ground, since Indian media is poo poo and everything else stopped caring as soon as Modi got in. Here's hoping he doesn't turn into the next Erdogan.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Aurubin posted:

Ah, that's disappointing. With the conclusion of the recent elections I was curious to see what the newly elected BJP government looked like from the ground, since Indian media is poo poo and everything else stopped caring as soon as Modi got in. Here's hoping he doesn't turn into the next Erdogan.

It is. If there's another India thread in the future that's got good info in it, I'll read it.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Zizek is the Sokal hoax made flesh for post-Marxist continental poli-phil. He's also the ultimate liberal: a fashionable and placating way to reconcile a life of consumption with your revolutionary ethics.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Doctor Spaceman posted:

His Lacanian word salads were a big hit in LF.
LF literally got scammed for thousands of dollars by some guy claiming he needed the money to by pants for his boyfriend or something.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Breakfast All Day posted:

Zizek is the Sokal hoax made flesh for post-Marxist continental poli-phil. He's also the ultimate liberal: a fashionable and placating way to reconcile a life of consumption with your revolutionary ethics.

I would have launched my Red Uprising, too if it wasn't for that pesky Zizek!

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Zizek is fleecing dolla bills out of humanity majors and I have to respect that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

drilldo squirt posted:

LF literally got scammed for thousands of dollars by some guy claiming he needed the money to by pants for his boyfriend or something.

IIRC a dude said he had a job interview but couldn't afford decent clothes for it, so goons gave him some money to help out.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Pope Guilty posted:

IIRC a dude said he had a job interview but couldn't afford decent clothes for it, so goons gave him some money to help out.

They gave him thousands of dollars and sucked each other off about it and it was really funny when they found out they had all been hosed.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Yeah, Zizek's pop books are crap but his real philosophy work on Lacan and Hegel is actually quite insightful. Less Than Nothing in particular has been really great for me, but his old stuff on ideology and fantasy is good as well. And some of his views in In Defense Of Lost Causes struck a real chord with me.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

drilldo squirt posted:

They gave him thousands of dollars and sucked each other off about it and it was really funny when they found out they had all been hosed.

This was very funny to me what loving idiots lol

Zizek is retarded and has no meaningful point whatsoever however he knows how to write for his audience I guess

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

drilldo squirt posted:

Remember Doobie's Dogs? Goons, meet the new bullshit, same as the old bullshit.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Were there any other communities online that saw MayDay.us as a scam?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Someone post that post about Zizek analyzing the Batman movies in an elevator wearing a dog suit.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

zoux posted:

Someone post that post about Zizek analyzing the Batman movies in an elevator wearing a dog suit.

this is my poo poo

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

http://mediadarlings.net/2012/07/20/slavoj-zizek-talks-about-the-dark-knight-rises/

There's audio at that link so you get the real Zizek experience.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kinda throws just how lovely SMG is into relief.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Were there any other communities online that saw MayDay.us as a scam?

Has it been proven to be a scam yet, or is it still just considered by most to be a bad idea?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Cheekio posted:

Has it been proven to be a scam yet, or is it still just considered by most to be a bad idea?

It hasn't been proven yet. Though a huge swath of the internet seems to have fallen head over heels for it :negative:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hey I'm not trying to bring up drama, and I don't want to be seen as threadshitting, so I'm posting here instead of the thread I'm talking about because I'd like to express my distaste for the content of a thread. Is it just me or is the US Housing thread nothing but page after page of people bitching about San Francisco?

I'm not trying to downplay their concerns, but the thread hasn't been exactly about US Housing overall. It's getting pretty unsufferable to me because I'm sitting here in a Rust Belt city with housing and buildings up the rear end and all these people are complaining that buildings in San Francisco aren't tall enough.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Just woke up to find 14 new reports for D&D, all of which were for the IP thread.

IP threads are never good.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Hey I'm not trying to bring up drama, and I don't want to be seen as threadshitting, so I'm posting here instead of the thread I'm talking about. Is it just me or is the US Housing thread nothing but page after page of people bitching about San Francisco?

I'm not trying to downplay their concerns, but the thread hasn't been exactly about US Housing overall. It's getting pretty unsufferable to me because I'm sitting here in a Rust Belt city with housing and buildings up the rear end and all these people are complaining that buildings in San Francisco aren't tall enough.

Do you have any questions, news, or concerns about housing in rust belt cities? You could ask or post those, and maybe people would respond.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
It's ok, I just reported a bunch of capitalization/spelling errors.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Cheekio posted:

What a coincidence! I report people for getting mad about those! :v:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Randler posted:

What a coincidence! I report people for getting mad about those! :v:

You did, in fact, and it was dumb.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

XyloJW posted:

Just woke up to find 14 new reports for D&D, all of which were for the IP thread.

Post em. Post all hilarious reports itt.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Cheekio posted:

I don't report anyone, I only get reported, which means i'm a good poster

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've never reported anyone in my life because I am not a narc.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

XyloJW posted:

I don't get how you can be such a big baby it's so retarded

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
For some reason D&D seems like the dumbest forum to report in. Like, isn't the unspoken agreement we're all here because we're insufferable argumentative assholes? Why would you not just argue with someone?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

XyloJW posted:

Do you have any questions, news, or concerns about housing in rust belt cities? You could ask or post those, and maybe people would respond.

Not really. I just had an opinion regarding the thread that I wanted to express but didn't feel it really advanced the conversation all if I were to post it in that thread.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

For some reason D&D seems like the dumbest forum to report in. Like, isn't the unspoken agreement we're all here because we're insufferable argumentative assholes? Why would you not just argue with someone?

Here's the rap sheet of "BabyChoom", whose posts in the Eastern Europe threads are an example of behavior sufficient to justify reporting and discipline, by any standard.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 11, 2014

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

XyloJW posted:

I'm half-sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Search the posts of "BabyChoom" in the Eastern Europe threads for an example of behavior sufficient to justify reporting and discipline, by any standard.

Zzzz

• Locked thread