Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

The xbone does have inherent problems with certain blurays. I can't remember if that is one of them, but it does have issues with some specific discs for some reason.

I remember that season 3 of Game of Thrones wouldn't play because of copy protection issues on the disc. I don't know if this was fixed as I use my bluray player for blurays. The soundless fastforward weirdness is something I've encountered on my bluray player, so it may not be an issue of the xbone being weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Soonmot posted:

I remember that season 3 of Game of Thrones wouldn't play because of copy protection issues on the disc. I don't know if this was fixed as I use my bluray player for blurays. The soundless fastforward weirdness is something I've encountered on my bluray player, so it may not be an issue of the xbone being weird.

That was fixed a few months back. Not sure if there are still any discs out there like that or if it was universal.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
If anyone hasn't played it yet, used copies of Assassin's Creed Black Flag are on sale for $10 this week at Best Buy. They're sold out online but available in-store.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
I finally forced myself to finish Ryse and good loving lord am I glad it's over. The game looks great, no question, but the actual gameplay is just a tremendous loving slog with little variation in the combat. I can't bring myself to even look at the multiplayer, especially considering that some of it's paywalled behind DLC. Boring story, boring character archetypes. I just couldn't care what happened to ANYONE in this game. And the boss encounters were little more than just sitting around waiting to counter their attacks so I can get two or three stabs in before resetting and waiting for them to come at me again.

Really, what a loving pile. I can't help but think this is what David Cage would make if his investors demanded he make a game with actual "gameplay" in it.

CRINDY posted:

If anyone hasn't played it yet, used copies of Assassin's Creed Black Flag are on sale for $10 this week at Best Buy. They're sold out online but available in-store.

I've been meaning to circle around and finish this game on my 360, but hell, for ten bucks, I'll get the better looking/performing copy. Thanks for the heads up.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Saladman posted:

Just finished getting all the achievements on Super Time Force... first game I've done that for. Thanks for the recommendation, people here, I probably would've waited until GWG otherwise.

I'm impressed that you got all the lookers, I'm struggling with the level that has the descending logs. I need to cut about 20 seconds off my time :(

Titanfall and cod ghosts dlc are the deals of the week, 33% and 40% off.

Also, I guess I'm Preordering destiny for access to the beta like some sort of eager nerd then. First game I pre-ordered in a loooong time.

Crafty fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 8, 2014

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Guacamelee is a lot of fun. What wasn't fun was spending over an hour on this part thinking it would get me something worthwhile when it just gets you one of several pieces you need to collect to get the ability to fly and also an alternate ending I think(?). I know that part was optional so I only have myself to blame, but I kept getting a bit further and figuring I'd just keep trying. That poo poo was Super Meat Boy hard.

Also I don't know if they made the Jaguar boss easier or what, but I saw people complaining about him being really hard and I beat him on my first try.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

null posted:

Guacamelee is a lot of fun. What wasn't fun was spending over an hour on this part thinking it would get me something worthwhile when it just gets you one of several pieces you need to collect to get the ability to fly and also an alternate ending I think(?). I know that part was optional so I only have myself to blame, but I kept getting a bit further and figuring I'd just keep trying. That poo poo was Super Meat Boy hard.

Also I don't know if they made the Jaguar boss easier or what, but I saw people complaining about him being really hard and I beat him on my first try.
I haven't got to that orb bit yet but I beat the jaguar on my first go too. I died a few times on the Skelton when it goes into its totem pole form though. I'm currently doing all of the challenges on the hell section, working at getting all gold medals on them. Some of the high combo ones were really hard, took me ages to do a couple of them!

The July dashboard update is rolling out now, and is already available in some regions.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

CRINDY posted:

They're showing $30 on the website. Looks like that deal is over.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Crafty posted:

I'm impressed that you got all the lookers, I'm struggling with the level that has the descending logs. I need to cut about 20 seconds off my time :(

Titanfall and cod ghosts dlc are the deals of the week, 33% and 40% off.

Also, I guess I'm Preordering destiny for access to the beta like some sort of eager nerd then. First game I pre-ordered in a loooong time.

I just got all the 'cheevos, but didn't get the lookers in every level (achievement pops after just one). I got five or six, and yeah some of them are super hard. I was actually surprised how easy it is to "plat" STF, you don't even have to play Hard Mode to Catch 'em All.

Edit: I found that using Zackasaurus can save a TON of time in the speedruns, since he can hop directly on enemies. Using him gave me like 3 lookers.

I did get all the Orbs in Guacamelee though, and did not have any trouble with the Tree Tops orb. Goat Fly makes it way easier than trying to do it by jumping if that's the issue. There's also one extra orb not in the previous versions -- you get one mask piece by getting 10+ gold medals in El Inferno.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 9, 2014

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
I secretly like being able to snap achievement progress. I am not really an cheevo guy, but its pretty neat

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I secretly like being able to snap achievement progress. I am not really an cheevo guy, but its pretty neat

The closest I've come to even looking at achievements is to be annoyed when that little pop up comes up on the screen while I'm playing a game. Is this actually a big deal now? Am I missing out on something by not giving a gently caress?

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

eyebeem posted:

The closest I've come to even looking at achievements is to be annoyed when that little pop up comes up on the screen while I'm playing a game. Is this actually a big deal now? Am I missing out on something by not giving a gently caress?

I am like 95% percent certain you can turn those notifications off if you want.

People either find them fun or they dont. If you dont give a poo poo about them then you arent missing out on anything. It kinda gives you side objectives and gives you universal points for completing them that are cumulative across all games that you play on the bone/360.

I'm not sure what you mean by "is it a big deal now?". Its been a big deal since Microsoft essentially invented the concept. Every gaming platform since has copied the idea. The Weather Channel app on my phone has achievements for fucks sake. Not everyone likes it, but the fact that its been copied by literally everyone means that its a 'big deal' and has been for about a decade.

Like I said, Im not an Achievement hunter or anything like that but I find them fun sometimes. The >Games echo chamber seems fairly down on them in general but really its just adding another way to get points in videogames (which are pretty much built around the concept of getting points).

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 9, 2014

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lmao if you don't derive your self-worth from your gamerscore

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I used to care about my gamerscore and cheevos. But then the Bone hiding the loving things behind another app made me not give a poo poo.

I had a problem guys. A serious cheevo problem. The Bone cured it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I don't like about the bone achievements is that I can'y post them to facebook like on the 360.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

why would you want to post them to facebook

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Why would you post anything to facebook?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I still feel really satisfied when I do something cool or beat a boss or whatever and that sound comes on and the notification pops up.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Soonmot posted:

The only thing I don't like about the bone achievements is that I can'y post them to facebook like on the 360.

Are you one of those monsters who constantly invites all his friends to goddamn Candy loving Crush on Facebook too?

I like cheevos a lot for open world games, it gives me something to go for after I've beaten the game. I mean I had fun in Just Cause 2 but if the cheevos hadn't given me objectives I probably would've spent half as much time post-game screwing around. I much prefer achievements to the PS Trophies, and also can't stand the loving imitation-of-imitation-of-imitation "achievements" you get on iOS and Android apps and whatever the christ these days.

VVV Don't know. Maybe because the 360 did it first and I felt the trophies were a lovely imitation? If the PS3 had introduced achievements, I might've liked the cool metal trophies more than those stupid numerical values.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 10, 2014

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
question: whats the difference between a meaningless number and a meaningless trophy? why prefer the number to the item with varying precious metals?

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Video Viddy Games posted:

question: whats the difference between a meaningless number and a meaningless trophy? why prefer the number to the item with varying precious metals?

I prefer the meaningless number to the meaningless trophy because they are cumulative. They are both silly of course but having a a lifetime score is kinda neater to me. I like the idea of platinum trophies but thats about it (I also had exactly zero platinum trophies on my PS3). Also having a number out of 1000 gives you a better sense of progress I think. I never checked my achievements on my PS3, it just felt less engaging. Of course, I check rarely check my achievements either but sometimes I do now that they have a progress bar for them.

The notification sound is also awesome.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 10, 2014

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I prefer the meaningless number to the meaningless trophy because they are cumulative. They are both silly of course but having a a lifetime score is kinda neater to me. I like the idea of platinum trophies but thats about it (I also had exactly zero platinum trophies on my PS3). Also have a number out of 1000 gives you a better sense of progress I think. I never checked my achievements on my PS3, it just felt less engaging. Of course, I check rarely check my achievements either but sometimes I do now that they have a progress bar for them.

The notification sound is also awesome.

That might be it too. I felt a little tingle of "christ I've wasted a lot of time" when I hit 10k gamer score a couple months ago. Conversely I have no idea what trophies of any kind I have on my PS3 (and if anything I've played more games on the PS3 than on the 360+Bone combined). Definitely no platinum though.

I'm not a big fan of the achievements on the Bone though, it takes so drat long to start up the Achievements App the first time (10 seconds?), so I almost never check them for goals.

VVVV: Just updated the console and yeah it works way better now. The Bone software is almost getting up to a standard that's good enough to launch the system with. Maybe soon Battlefield 4 will also make it to version 1.0.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 10, 2014

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
To be fair, the thing they just implemented for the double push of the guide button brings up the apps up a lot quicker now. I just need to make sure I stay off the cheevo wagon.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Sony's trophy system is cumulative too-- there's a trophy level on everyone's profile that you level up by earning more trophies. Where I think they went wrong is it's some sort of exponential where you need more and more trophies to level up to the point where it essentially softcaps in the 30-40 range, I think.

Also if you post in Games and don't get why there are people who like watching a number get bigger as they do things in games then, welp.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

To be fair, the thing they just implemented for the double push of the guide button brings up the apps up a lot quicker now. I just need to make sure I stay off the cheevo wagon.

Sounds like you need cheevo hunters anonymous.

I've never got a thousand in a game, what a scrub. I'm currently trying to get all the gold coins in guacamelee, it's taking a long, long time and making me very, very annoyed.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Crafty posted:

I've never got a thousand in a game, what a scrub. I'm currently trying to get all the gold coins in guacamelee, it's taking a long, long time and making me very, very annoyed.

Edit: Nevermind, you mean gold medals in Inferno, not gold coins, of which there are an infinite number. I'm still missing 3 gold medals... two in fighting, one in getting the chicken to the end in under 2 minutes.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I achievement hunt, but pretty much only in games that I enjoy. I spent way too much effort hunting down the audio logs in bioshock infinite and that was annoying checking every crevice for those. Even more annoying is how obtuse the story is even after finding those.

I don't mind a little bit of achievement farming in titanfall, but the game-internal challenges end up being way more compelling as you level up.

I kind of like how awkwardly out of the way steam's achievements are - I have no idea what you or I have!

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Crafty posted:

I have gotten all the achievements in exactly one game - Walking Dead. All you have to do is beat it once. Its also a pretty cool game, so thats nice. So if you want the sweet sweet feeling of getting dat 'plat' I can personally recommend Walking Dead as an easy way to do it while still actually enjoying the game.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Crafty posted:

There's very, very few games I even want to hit 1000 in. I know I did it with Arkham Asylum. Fallout 3/New Vegas. Maybe a few others. But I have 11 years of xbox live and only a 62K gamer score. Most times, getting 1000 is a chore instead of fun, so gently caress that noise.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Soonmot posted:

There's very, very few games I even want to hit 1000 in. I know I did it with Arkham Asylum. Fallout 3/New Vegas. Maybe a few others. But I have 11 years of xbox live and only a 62K gamer score. Most times, getting 1000 is a chore instead of fun, so gently caress that noise.

Yeah, I would have 1k in a handful more games, but almost every game feels the need to put in collectibles and then attach achievements to them. Games have always had collectibles but now that open world games are so popular they can now put in like 700 items you have to get. And there is no way I am gonna get them all.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
/\/\/\ This is another good reason why I stay off the Cheevo Train now.

I really liked the Achievements in Mass Effect; there was an in-game reward for getting them.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 11, 2014

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
Missable achievements are the worst. Collectable achievements are okay if there's an in-game radar to point out their locations. Putting collectables in a game whose world isn't really fun to explore - like Ryse - is terrible. Multiplayer achievements also suck, unless the game is multiplayer-centered like Titanfall.

Anymore now I'm just glad to get the "you finished the game" cheevo and I leave it at that. I was big on being a completionist but I came to peace with the fact that I'm never going to get all the achievements and, honestly, I wasn't have fun forcing myself to get 1000 in every game. My ratio's jacked to hell and my score's lopsided, but so be it. Worst game I forced myself to get 1000 in? Golden Compass; no question.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I really wish there was a way to tell if something will be available digitally through the xbox marketplace. I want to buy the Fifa 15 ultimate edition but I rather not have the physical media. How do I find this out?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I really wish there was a way to tell if something will be available digitally through the xbox marketplace. I want to buy the Fifa 15 ultimate edition but I rather not have the physical media. How do I find this out?

Go to the Xbox Marketplace. There should a buy now option with a price next to it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DangerZoneDelux posted:

If I'm not mistaken, this is a requirement for all games on the new consoles excluding very specific circumstances like Skylanders (because it needs a special accessory that comes with the physical version). FIFA 15 is pretty much a certainty, the only upcoming game I'm suspicious of is Kingdom Hearts III since there has never been a Kingdom Hearts game available digitally on any platform.

EDIT Only just realized you meant the UE specifically. We'll probably know more about that when the date approaches, has Microsoft done any of those kinds of editions digitally yet? I know the Digital Hardened of CoD Ghosts isn't available digitally on Xbox platforms.

univbee fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 11, 2014

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Yeah FIFA 14 and FIFA Word cup are both available digitally so of course 15 will be too.

I do not, however, think he is asking if FIFA 15 will be available digitally, he is asking if FIFA 15 Ultimate will be available digitally. Which it may not be. I have no idea and I dont think there is a way to find out.

\/\/\/\/ I ended up really liking Titanfall despite not being a shootmans guy but goddamnit did I hate the gen requirement things. Same idea as cheevos, forcing you to do stuff that you wouldnt normally do if you wanted to get them. I regenned once and learned my lesson.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 11, 2014

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Multiplayer Achievements are the worst because they force you (if you are in the throes of active cheevo addiction) to play in a manner in which you might not normally play, interrupting the flow of the game, costing your team a win because you needed X ammount of Ys in Z matches.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

univbee posted:

If I'm not mistaken, this is a requirement for all games on the new consoles excluding very specific circumstances like Skylanders (because it needs a special accessory that comes with the physical version). FIFA 15 is pretty much a certainty, the only upcoming game I'm suspicious of is Kingdom Hearts III since there has never been a Kingdom Hearts game available digitally on any platform.

EDIT Only just realized you meant the UE specifically. We'll probably know more about that when the date approaches, has Microsoft done any of those kinds of editions digitally yet? I know the Digital Hardened of CoD Ghosts isn't available digitally on Xbox platforms.

Yeah I play the ultimate mode so I would like the free packs associated with the Ultimate edition. I have a feeling it will probably be retailer only.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I really wish there was a digital pre-order option, although hopefully Destiny will have the digital guardian edition "day of" on the store like they did for some of the janky launch titles (DR3, CoD: Ghosts)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Multiplayer Achievements are the worst because they force you (if you are in the throes of active cheevo addiction) to play in a manner in which you might not normally play, interrupting the flow of the game, costing your team a win because you needed X ammount of Ys in Z matches.

I think GTA IV was one of the worst when it comes to multiplayer achievements, in particular "Fly the Co-Op" and "Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic." "Fly the Co-Op" had to be completed in a ranked lobby, so the only way to do it with friends was to have everyone go into matchmaking, then back out and restart until it put everyone together. You have to do this for every attempt.

"Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic" would be fine if it was just "win every game mode," but Rockstar decided to go nuts with the races and force you to win on every track in both standard race and GTA Race modes. Then they took it one step further and expected you to also win all the boat and helicopter race variations. GTA IV pubbies only want to do super car races, so if you become host and try doing anything else, they just vote to kick you.

• Locked thread