Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

And we didn't get in until the last month of 1941. Not that it didn't help things bounce back faster but the trend had been coming down for years already, I wouldn't say that WW2 was responsible for anything more than speeding the process / making the recovery even better in the end. Anyway sorry for the derail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Breaky posted:

And we didn't get in until the last month of 1941. Not that it didn't help things bounce back faster but the trend had been coming down for years already, I wouldn't say that WW2 was responsible for anything more than speeding the process / making the recovery even better in the end. Anyway sorry for the derail.

Lend-Lease, and the "Arsenal of Democracy" before it, was pulling US unemployment down already though, which like it or not was an affect of WW2.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

RFC2324 posted:

Its real, but you REALLY have to be working for it.

My ex had a step dad get his drivers license revoked after too many DUIs on a 4-wheeler, a vehicle designed to be driven drunk.

You can also get a DUI on horseback, but you'd have to be at needing medical attention levels of drunk for the cops to do anything.

Source: guy who rode up on a horse to fix my siding. He rides said horse to the bars (one even installed a hitching post for him) and then climbs back up on the horse and has the horse take him home. The cops won't write a ticket because the horse will override any attempts to drunkenly veer the horse into traffic and the only place the horse is going is home.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

To return to topic. Sorry for the buzzfeed link but it summarizes things nicely.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/no-internet-steven-spielberg-does-not-hunt-dinosaurs?bffb

Idiots thought that Spielberg posing with the Triceratops from Jurassic park was him really killing one.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

You can also get a DUI on horseback, but you'd have to be at needing medical attention levels of drunk for the cops to do anything.

Source: guy who rode up on a horse to fix my siding. He rides said horse to the bars (one even installed a hitching post for him) and then climbs back up on the horse and has the horse take him home. The cops won't write a ticket because the horse will override any attempts to drunkenly veer the horse into traffic and the only place the horse is going is home.

Is the horse old enough to be legally in control of a vehicle?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Breaky posted:

To return to topic. Sorry for the buzzfeed link but it summarizes things nicely.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/no-internet-steven-spielberg-does-not-hunt-dinosaurs?bffb

Idiots thought that Spielberg posing with the Triceratops from Jurassic park was him really killing one.

Yeah, stick em all in zoos, that's the answer

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

sassassin posted:

Yeah, stick em all in zoos, that's the answer

We all saw how well that worked.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

FrozenVent posted:

We all saw how well that worked.

Well, if Newman hadn't written two million lines of troll code...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Breaky posted:

The author of that article missed that this comment was satirical too:

quote:

He should be killed instead. Beautiful creature innocently living millions of years ago then this monster comes along.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Breaky posted:

I think with this there are too many people trying to be funny but fail miserably. At least, that's what I hope.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Hi everyone, have some friendzone angst to go alongside this bullshit article

(and yes, Red really does kick off by ranting six times in a row)

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Wait does texting count as using your tongue? Can you really unlock the box, turn her on, and snatch the idol just by texting?!

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

A guy shared this. So...is it me, or is this guy basically just saying "I have a small dick"?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

trapped mouse posted:

A guy shared this. So...is it me, or is this guy basically just saying "I have a small dick"?

No, just that he's bad at sex.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My mom's insane high school friend, who lives in a retirement community and still lived off of her parents checks until recently, saw Yngwie Malmsteen last night. Unfortunately imgur is being wonky so here it is in quote form:

quote:

OMG, the show was FANTASTIC! Definitely one of the top five experiences of my life, and I've had a few pretty amazing experiences! I was in the seventh row but not close enough to get any of the guitar picks that he was kicking off one of his boots when he did high kicks in the air. Hard to believe this guy is 51. He's aged extremely well and is in top form. He also played my favorite song of his, and the crowd was crazy, even though it was a very small venue and not sold out. He really put on quite a show. Bumblefoot was great too (used to play guitar for GNR), and of course Gary Hoey was incredible too. I started texting the guy sitting (or rather standing) next to me and he sent me some incredible pictures and we texted until 2:00 the next morning, but I haven't heard from him since so I guess he was just drunk or something to be so friendly. Too bad for my cougar tendency; he was exactly HALF my age: 27. Actually I won't be 54 til next month, but whatever. Still living hand to mouth, worse financially than I have ever been, but somehow loving friends have been loaning me $20 or so to get by until the next payday, at which point I pay them back right away. Thank you to all of you. You know who you are. I am doing great, actually. No complaints of any real consequence. I miss you all so much!
From normal concert review to drunk cougaring to give me money! in no time.

PervertedLogic
Aug 14, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

I think thats what happens when you combine Facebook, drunkenness, and that friendly form of crazy that makes you walk around saying hi to random people.

Last page, but I think that's what happens when Facebook becomes self-aware and starts sending its own friend requests.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

My mom's insane high school friend, who lives in a retirement community and still lived off of her parents checks until recently, saw Yngwie Malmsteen last night.

I'm sorry, what's going on here? Did she retire with a big inheritance or something or are her elderly parents seriously supporting their retired middle-aged daughter?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kavak posted:

I'm sorry, what's going on here? Did she retire with a big inheritance or something or are her elderly parents seriously supporting their retired middle-aged daughter?

The latter. She is listed as employed at "wherever I am needed."

She's a recovering drug addict (lithium, among other things) who lives in Arizona off of parental checks, friends and maybe disability. Of course, she always posts about how she hates her parents and blames them for all of her issues, especially her dad. She also hates Obama and all things Democrat, even though she is a walking Reagan nightmare. Every once in a while she makes a grandiose gesture about changing her name because she associates her real one with all of her terrible problems, so she has a fake name on Facebook now. This is different than the name she was initially going to change to, which was "Gisele," a hyphenated last name combining two of her other friends, and then my sister's name as a middle name. She has never met my sister, who won't even accept her friend request, but thought it sounded better than my mother's name (it doesn't). She also doesn't understand how Facebook works at all and always demands help from her friend list. If she doesn't get it within 20 minutes she will post about how everyone is ignoring her.

This is seriously just the tip of the iceberg. I could post every status she ever had if I really wanted to. I had a few in the last thread but there wasn't much response.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.

She's a recovering drug addict (lithium, among other things) who lives in Arizona off of parental checks, friends and maybe disability. Of course, she always posts about how she hates her parents and blames them for all of her issues, especially her dad. She also hates Obama and all things Democrat, even though she is a walking Reagan nightmare. Every once in a while she makes a grandiose gesture about changing her name because she associates her real one with all of her terrible problems, so she has a fake name on Facebook now. This is different than the name she was initially going to change to, which was "Gisele," a hyphenated last name combining two of her other friends, and then my sister's name as a middle name. She has never met my sister, who won't even accept her friend request, but thought it sounded better than my mother's name (it doesn't). She also doesn't understand how Facebook works at all and always demands help from her friend list. If she doesn't get it within 20 minutes she will post about how everyone is ignoring her.

This is seriously just the tip of the iceberg. I could post every status she ever had if I really wanted to. I had a few in the last thread but there wasn't much response.

And don't forget she's a Yngwie Malmsteen fan. :negative:

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
-

Double Plus Good has a new favorite as of 19:21 on Aug 17, 2014

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
It also makes it difficult for those of us changing our name for other, less whimsical reasons.

... I really am tired of being mistaken for a man, and also my mom. It sucks.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

Addicted to... lithium?
(lithium's not really recognized as an addictive substance)

Melaneus has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Jul 11, 2014

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
She just REALLY likes that Nirvana song.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone

Melaneus posted:

Addicted to... lithium?
(lithium's not really recognized as an addictive substance)

and in fact will quickly kill you if blood level of lithium is not regulated.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!
I assumed he meant valium, easy enough to mix up the names.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeeeeeah, about that.

FDR did a lot of great stuff, but we were still in a Depression leading right up to WW2.

That first big reduction in unemployment was mostly attributable to the NRA, which was repealed (and unemployment went back up), then WWII started in Europe and unemployment shot down again.

The thing about that is that it's difficult to quantify the economic impact of government work programs like the WPA and CCC on indices other than straight employment numbers. So the New Deal did have a visible impact on employment, but there are different points of view on how much that benefited the GNP, and what would have happened if the programs hadn't been rolled back, and what would have happened if the war hadn't started...

But "worst President ever" is crazy because hello, James motherfucking Buchanan.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sorry, she was using lithium to treat her other problems. It was obviously not very effective.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

AlbieQuirky posted:

But "worst President ever" is crazy because hello, James motherfucking Buchanan.

Whole lotta dungheaps in between Jackson and Lincoln fightin' it out for last place ranking, but Harding actually takes it by a nose.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof
I'm just gonna go ahead and say the worst President ever is the next guy, so I can be the first one to say "I told you so".

Marley Wants More has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Jul 12, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The worst president was all the presidents who weren't Emperor Norton.

Angry Tiny Man
Feb 26, 2007

Well, that's a white-knighting idiot I never thought I'd see on my feed. Holy poo poo.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Well, that's a fun argument.

"This thing sucks, be careful around this guy."
"Oh please, that doesn't suck that bad, he has a good reason, what's it to you."
"How would you like it if he did that to you?"
"THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN."

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Bro Code says no peeking at another dudes dick. Ain't no rule that says a dog can't play basketball you can't take upskirt pics for whatever reason you want :colbert:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

There's really no better and succinct way to sum up all these rear end in a top hat's attitudes than "bad thing isn't bad because it would never happen to me."

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Rib kid noooo :ohdear:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/by0nC

Imgur is social media now.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

quote:

This gets into a social issue: Female-on-male rape is, in any given year, just as prevalent as male-on-female rape, yet gets almost entirely ignored.

:psyduck:

Does this person have any citations for this?

Also how the gently caress do they list conscription when the draft is gone.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

karl fungus posted:

Also how the gently caress do they list conscription when the draft is gone.

Since when was the draft cancelled?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_Service_System

It just has not been called on since Vietnam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

quote:

It will require supporting financial abortions - the right of the father to say, "No, that fetus will not be my child."

This after paragraphs of berating women for not taking responsibility.

I like how the last paragraph actually contains the argument that society needs to recognise that women are as evil and vindictive as men. Some real self-awareness.

• Locked thread