Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dynamic Cloth Technology
This poll is closed.
Dynamic 18 18.56%
Cloth 58 59.79%
Technology 21 21.65%
Total: 97 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Your momentum stopping while doing poke check is absolute bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
I pay like $9000 a year in income tax for a government that can't figure out if its OK for two dudes to kiss each other on the lips on purpose, I just dont' get that mad paying $60 a year to play a hockey video game that's mostly OK I guess

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not that they sell poo poo for $60, it's that I can't buy the game I want at any price.

How hard can video game hockey really be. :qq:

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

xzzy posted:

It's not that they sell poo poo for $60, it's that I can't buy the game I want at any price.

How hard can video game hockey really be. :qq:

Probably pretty hard I mean ice is all slippery and you have all those faces to make look like real guys its like, so much stuff to do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DYNAMIC loving CLOTH TECH. :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7XjKArgQC0

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Cool.

*sets game camera to classic the minute game boots up, mashes X through every cutscene*

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

I realise it's a minor nitpick but that looks loving stupid as poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It looks like bedliner, not a jersey.

Allowing a cloth simulation glitch in a promo video is pretty funny too. It's almost like this stuff is hard, and probably shouldn't be crammed into games quite yet!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Cool.

*sets game camera to classic the minute game boots up, mashes X through every cutscene*

Haha pretty much. Sigh.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

KiddieGrinder posted:

That's just Kuato taking a breather on the off play.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Duke Chin posted:

That's just Kuato taking a breather on the off play.

You know what, I think I like you.

Dynamic Cloth TechnologyTM not so much.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

KiddieGrinder posted:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Also I wanted to add that to accurately simulate cloth at that scale requires a LOT of horsepower, more than majority of PCs could even handle (which is why you don't see it anywhere).

See what they have similar in NHL 15 (on the left), and that looks like poo poo. But to make it look realistic/not poo poo (like on the right) you have to add a hell of a lot more geometry. And that slows everything down and is not really possible yet in real-time.

So basically they're adding something no one actually wanted (and no one will notice) badly.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Christ I hate Rammer so much. How loving incompetent do you have to be to tout this useless, half baked technology that no one wanted, and then show an obviously glitch in the video

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It still bothers me that the logo and numbers act like they're silk screened on. They're a separate piece of hard fabric stitching. They barely bend and certainly don't flutter wildly in a light breeze. Why did they invest so much time into something that 1) no one wants and 2) doesn't look real anyways?

Thunderhorse Z
Sep 29, 2010

We're in a tight spot.
I'm usually pretty onboard with the changes they make but man does this look stupid. Just show the game, Rammer.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Every year they hype these cosmetic changes that no one will zoom in close enough to really look at. I swear one of the other years they hyped light being able to pass through player's ears, or some crap like that

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Every year they hype these cosmetic changes that no one will zoom in close enough to really look at. I swear one of the other years they hyped light being able to pass through player's ears, or some crap like that

It's because they know they have nothing else to actually sell the game so they fixate on bullshit and hope no one notices.

I noticed. :colbert:

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

KiddieGrinder posted:

I'm waiting for their next new feature: Non-dynamic clothing.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

triplexpac posted:

I want to say that was NHL 13.

Is it just me or on top of the DCT looking like poo poo, do these jerseys just look too tight? What we're really missing out on is the latest technology they have come out with. Large Hard-on Collider Physics are gone and now we have True Hockey Physics™.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the jersey sizing is more or less okay, it just has lovely textures and lovely modeling. Even if you ignore the attempt at dynamic cloth it doesn't hang like the real jerseys do.

It looks like a sheet of rubber stretched around a wire frame.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Flubber Cloth Technology™

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152594623170996.1073741855.333387460995&type=1

Iginla looks like he's made entirely of that shiny foam they use for stress balls.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

nice leather shorts there Iggy.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Pleads posted:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152594623170996.1073741855.333387460995&type=1

Iginla looks like he's made entirely of that shiny foam they use for stress balls.

I feel my faith restored, that the Facebook comments are filled with people ripping on the game and not just OMG THIS LOOKS AWSOME

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I didn't read that many comments but I still saw an alarming amount of EA apologists.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Pleads posted:

Dynamic Elbow Location Technology must be coming in NHL 16.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sba posted:

Dynamic Elbow Location Technology must be coming in NHL 16.

Well there goes their big reveal in a year. Now all we have left to wonder about is what feature they'll be stripping and what feature is returning under a new name and with less functionality.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Those jerseys seriously look like they're made of rubber, and the logo loving twitching is just priceless. gently caress EA, gently caress Sean.

e: Seriously, they post on youtube a montage of slow mo shots and hilariously scripted and impossible camera angles, then have the audacity to call it a gameplay trailer. I'm at a juncture where I know buying the game means Rammer indefinitely keeps his job, versus not buying the game and having to stick with NHL14. gently caress.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 11, 2014

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Haha, fucker hasn't blocked me yet.

@Rammer34 You are to the NHL title what lymphomas are to in-patients. Something we all pray to find a cure for.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Diet Crack posted:

Those jerseys seriously look like they're made of rubber, and the logo loving twitching is just priceless. gently caress EA, gently caress Sean.

e: Seriously, they post on youtube a montage of slow mo shots and hilariously scripted and impossible camera angles, then have the audacity to call it a gameplay trailer. I'm at a juncture where I know buying the game means Rammer indefinitely keeps his job, versus not buying the game and having to stick with NHL14. gently caress.

not to mention that it's a fluff trailer to show off their big REAL PLAYER LIKENESSES AND AWESOME UNIFORMS and both things look like complete poo poo.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
:allears: Remember when gameplay trailers featured a guy going over everything that's been updated as he actually plays the game? Then it cuts in and out to demonstrations of the way things used to work vs the way it works now?

Allow me to demonstrate what I believe the entire world would be happy with...

if only posted:

-So in all previous NHL games, the goalie could either hug the post tight or stand in normal position. This made it next to impossible to transition from wrap arounds to passes in front of the net. We've added a 3rd option so when you hold the "post hug" trigger, without holding it all the way down, the goalie puts one pad to the post, without fully hugging it. We now have 4 goalie positions. Stand/hug post, crouch/hug post, partial post hug and regular butterfly."

-Instead of having a dedicated button to pin someone up against the boards, you'll now be able to use the right stick to tie up/staple a player into the boards. Pushing the right stick as far as it will go will result in a body check. Players will need to decide weather they wish to slam the opponet by pushing the stick all the way or take the safe route by only using a little bit of right stick to bump, tie up or pin the player into the boards.

We believe that this will bring added realism to "digging for the puck."

-Since we've freed up Y/Triangle, we've made it so Y/Triangle acts as a standing pass/shot block. Unlike R1 which causes the player to crouch, in order to block a shot, Y/Triangle will make it so the player puts his stick on the ice and closes his feet together. We believe that this will make blue line defense much more practical.

-New Dynamic Puck Technology so you will no longer see passes bounce off the receiver's skates. Players will reach for the puck if they are within distance. Players will also automatically pivot and face towards the puck.

So there you go, EA Sports. Just somethin I whipped up just for laughs. If you would like to hire me my email is starwars420@aol.com

cname fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 11, 2014

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

cname posted:

Allow me to demonstrate what I believe the entire world would be happy with...

That first one :woop:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
...and yet you still haven't made the sticks actual, corporeal, solid things, cname. :colbert:

Furnaceface posted:

You know what, I think I like you.

Dynamic Cloth TechnologyTM not so much.

Never date within the division.

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...
EA continually shoots themselves in the foot by hyping up "features" that are routinely buggy in video games.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Oooooooooooooooooor they know and don't care because they know people will buy what is essentially just the same poo poo over and over. and over.

It's been proven. There are decades worth of sales figures to back this up.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

Pleads posted:

from the comments:

:stare: seriously, what the hell.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
NHL 16

"We heard what the fans were saying. This year we've overhauled the dynamic cloth system so it's not weird and fluttering all the time. Over 140 new dynamic floating points of cloth geometry."

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
NHL 16

"Thanks for buying NHL 15, even though you said you wouldn't. We've gone back, and completely re-hauled the skating system..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...

Laderhan posted:

from the comments:

The fans are very interested in the defensive coverage in the neutral zone on a breakaway.

• Locked thread