Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Why do people on sport bikes ride around with their feet on the passenger pegs? It looks silly as hell and seems like you'd be supporting all your weight with your nuts. In the last few weeks I've seen at least 6 people doing it and can't remember ever seeing it before.
Guess it's not really a rant so much as a question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
On the highway? It can be comfortable to lay on the tank sometimes. I do it on the ninjette cause I'm way too tall for it. Riding fun roads is okay cause you're moving, but cruising back I'm crunched as hell. You can flip the rears down and put your feet on them, the top of your boot, and kind of 'breast stroke' the bike to put it...oddly.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
That's pretty much how my riding buddy rides his TU250x. It's the only way he can get aerodynamic enough for freeway speeds.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Men's clothing has the "functional" part of the fastener (the buttons or the zipper pull) on the right side. Women's clothing has it on the left side. European men's motorcycle jackets have the zipper pull on the left side for some reason.

Go take a look at your clothes and report back.

All of my zippered clothing has the pull on the left. If I had to guess why I'd say it's because that puts the fiddly bit (where you have to put the zip into the pull thingy (I'm sure there are better terms for all these components)) is in the right hand.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah feet on the passenger pegs means one of two things:

1) I've been riding for a long time and I'm looking for ways to shift around to alleviate the pain
2) I'm about to do a sw8 standup wheelie

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah feet on the passenger pegs means one of two things:

1) I've been riding for a long time and I'm looking for ways to shift around to alleviate the pain
2) I'm about to do a sw8 standup wheelie

I always get funny looks when I'm standing on the pegs stretching my legs, pretty sure people are waiting for me to do something besides just sitting down.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
gently caress taxi drivers, now and forever. Was out on Saturday in the left track of the curb lane, right blinker on, stopped at the stop sign, making sure the lane ahead was clear before I did my turn, and once again some idiot hell fucker taxi driver splits my lane and the bike path to turn in ahead of me. It's bad enough getting stuck behind one downtown where they suddenly change lanes or stop without warning.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, coming back home from Vancouver on the 4th I had two taxis try to murder me. Luckily I noticed the signs that they were coming over, but both of them fully didn't even look and didn't signal, just swerved on over. I treated one to some high beams and got a quick blink of his hazards, so I have no idea what that means. Probably, "I'll kill you in your sleep!" or something.

Are taxi drivers crazier than regular people?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lynza posted:

Are taxi drivers crazier than regular people?

In Chicago: yes. The only drivers I hate more than them are tow trucks, who drive like they are driving an injured relative to the hospital 24/7.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I noticed immediately that the zippers for my Dainese and Revit gear are on the "wrong" side. It seems like it would be almost impossible not to notice since your muscle memory completely fails you when you go to zip it up.

Pimping Giraffe
Feb 22, 2006
Forum Giraffe Pimper?
I got a new Alpinestars touring jacket a few weeks ago and I still find myself feeling like a small child learning how to use a zipper for the first time. drat Europeans.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
All my jackets and sweaters (motorcycle and otherwise) have the slider on the left. My A* Stella (womens) pants have the flap button right-over-left though.

Shmirgin44
Apr 22, 2010
The security guard at our corporate office laughed when I came in with my Revit airwave pants and A* mesh jacket, carrying my full face and gloves. He asked if I was going skydiving and told me I didn't need any of the gear for riding. If anyone should understand preparation for risk mitigation, you'd think it would be someone in the security field but :shrug:

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Shmirgin44 posted:

The security guard at our corporate office laughed when I came in with my Revit airwave pants and A* mesh jacket, carrying my full face and gloves. He asked if I was going skydiving and told me I didn't need any of the gear for riding. If anyone should understand preparation for risk mitigation, you'd think it would be someone in the security field but :shrug:

I always find it weird that people think that "extreme" sports are super dangerous compared to riding a motorcycle through city traffic(or anything, they aren't that dangerous), so I checked. 2013 fatality rates for skydiving were 1 every 133,000 jumps, and the average jump is from a height of around 2 miles. Motorcycle fatality rates are 21 per 100 million miles traveled. Altogether you're 17 times more likely to die skydiving than motorcycle riding per mile traveled, which'd be great I guess if I only rode my motorcycle a mile at a time. Altogether I'm as likely to die on my daily commute as I am to die if I woke up and went skydiving instead.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Shmirgin44 posted:

If anyone should understand preparation for risk mitigation, you'd think it would be someone in the security field but :shrug:

I've worked in the security field for five years now, and if you expect your average guard to understand anything you'll be disappointed 90% of the time. I have made great friends and met smart & interesting people, but good god most of us are idiots.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

M. Night Skymall posted:

2013 fatality rates for skydiving were 1 every 133,000 jumps, and the average jump is from a height of around 2 miles. Motorcycle fatality rates are 21 per 100 million miles traveled.

This info finally lets me calculate something I've been wanting to forever! That 10,000 foot jump usually takes 3-4 minutes from jump to hitting the ground. So you get 1 fatality per 5.3 million minutes spent skydiving. Motorcycle fatality rates are 21 per 100 million miles = 1 per 4.76 million miles ridden. Assuming that's at an average rate of 35 miles an hour (city + highway + stops combined), that's 1 fatality per 8.1 million minutes.

Finally. Per minute spent in the sport, skydiving is 1.5 times more dangerous than motorcycling.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 11, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sagebrush posted:

This info finally lets me calculate something I've been wanting to forever! That 10,000 foot jump usually takes 3-4 minutes from jump to hitting the ground. So you get 1 fatality per 5.3 million minutes spent skydiving. Motorcycle fatality rates are 21 per 100 million miles = 1 per 4.76 million miles ridden. Assuming that's at an average rate of 35 miles an hour (city + highway + stops combined), that's 1 fatality per 8.1 million minutes.

Finally. Per minute spent in the sport, skydiving is 1.5 times more dangerous than motorcycling.

In the interest of pedantry, skydiving is generally preceded by considerably more safety prep and planning than your average moto ride, which quite possibly is NOTGATT and with >0 BAC. So jumping from a plane is in fact far, far more dangerous and remains 1.5 times more risky even after relatively tremendous mitigation effort.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I've had some interesting conversations with other bike people lately. I continue to be amazed at how few people give any fucks whatsoever about safety. Asking about my jacket, which wasn't hideously expensive, is mesh, and will protect me pretty well in a crash, they're like "OMG HOW CAN YOU SPEND SO MUCH MONEY!"

Well you see, I like to keep my skin relatively intact, and also on my body. I prefer it on my body as opposed to, say, spread out over 50' of pavement.

Also, someone posted this in Oregoons thread and I thought it was deeply pertinent to CA with regards to summer-only dumb squidly types:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Lynza posted:

I've had some interesting conversations with other bike people lately. I continue to be amazed at how few people give any fucks whatsoever about safety. Asking about my jacket, which wasn't hideously expensive, is mesh, and will protect me pretty well in a crash, they're like "OMG HOW CAN YOU SPEND SO MUCH MONEY!"
Related, we were talking at the shop today about how many customers are fairly upset when their bike needs anything done to it. How many people out there believe they can own a motor vehicle for reliable transportation and should not have to spend anything at all on it ever to maintain it. Do they never go to the dentist and then get angry when their teeth hurt all the time too?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1. Buy a vehicle.
2. Operate said vehicle without any maintenance whatsoever until it breaks down.
3. Take vehicle to shop and get told it's completely hosed and needs lots of $$$$
4. "[brand/model] are poo poo! Never buying one of those again!"
5. Go to 1.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Slavvy, I think you've hit on basically every dumb purchaser. Buy a new car, treat it like poo poo, be shocked when it dies, never buy a [brand] again, complain endlessly about how unreliable it is.

People do it with things like computers and bicycles and anything that has moving parts or requires even the barest minimum of maintenance.

Shmirgin44
Apr 22, 2010

Lynza posted:

Well you see, I like to keep my skin relatively intact, and also on my body. I prefer it on my body as opposed to, say, spread out over 50' of pavement.

This. Everyone I've talked to who tries to rationalize not wearing gear cites fatality rates, etc. I am far more worried about being decidedly alive and missing a large portion of my skin and muscle (fat) tissue, than actually dying.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Related, we were talking at the shop today about how many customers are fairly upset when their bike needs anything done to it. How many people out there believe they can own a motor vehicle for reliable transportation and should not have to spend anything at all on it ever to maintain it. Do they never go to the dentist and then get angry when their teeth hurt all the time too?

Last time I was at the shop some dude rolled up on a GSXR wearing nothing but a baby blue polo wanting some new tires. The shop hand brought the sprocket back into the lobby and told him his rear sprocket was way past done.

Dude got an attitude at them for even bringing it up.

It was a circle with some gently rounded ridges on it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Pfft. Sprockets aren't worn until they are fish hook curved, and then just flip 'em :colbert:

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Lynza posted:

Also, someone posted this in Oregoons thread and I thought it was deeply pertinent to CA with regards to summer-only dumb squidly types:

That guy's a professional stunt rider and is just drunk on his birthday, doesn't make riding a motorcycle into a pool any less of a moronic move, but he's hardly a summer only squid who can't ride.

I think the weirdest is how obsessed people are with how hot gear is. I still ride to work everyday in Dallas and ATGATT isn't really comfortable, but I don't think being outside in 95+ degree weather is ever going to be comfortable. At least with the gear I'm not sunburned and I have a bunch of tech fabrics trying to keep me cool, with the added bonus that I'm actually protected.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

M. Night Skymall posted:

That guy's a professional stunt rider and is just drunk on his birthday, doesn't make riding a motorcycle into a pool any less of a moronic move, but he's hardly a summer only squid who can't ride.

I think the weirdest is how obsessed people are with how hot gear is. I still ride to work everyday in Dallas and ATGATT isn't really comfortable, but I don't think being outside in 95+ degree weather is ever going to be comfortable. At least with the gear I'm not sunburned and I have a bunch of tech fabrics trying to keep me cool, with the added bonus that I'm actually protected.

Yeah, my jacket is surprisingly cool in similarly hot Houston weather so long as I'm moving at least a little. The only part of me that gets hot at all is my hands, but even then it's not nearly 1/10th as bad as the poo poo I wear at work so it doesn't bother me.

Seriously, my god drat FRs are (almost) worse than my gear. Except you actually get some breeze on a bike.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 11, 2014

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme

M. Night Skymall posted:

I think the weirdest is how obsessed people are with how hot gear is.

I always thought so too. I don't get much exposure to gixxerbros but, mostly due to my job, I've spoken to a lot of Harley guys who love the SOA tough guy image and I've always thought it was hilariously ironic what pussies they were about jackets and helmets being just too hot. :sweatdrop:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lynza posted:

Asking about my jacket, which wasn't hideously expensive, is mesh, and will protect me pretty well in a crash, they're like "OMG HOW CAN YOU SPEND SO MUCH MONEY!"

*pulls away on $25K Harley with $15K in add-on chrome bullshit*

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Alceste posted:

I always thought so too. I don't get much exposure to gixxerbros but, mostly due to my job, I've spoken to a lot of Harley guys who love the SOA tough guy image and I've always thought it was hilariously ironic what pussies they were about jackets and helmets being just too hot. :sweatdrop:

Other side of the coin: I see these guys on the road sometimes and it just looks painful. I'm wearing my gear but still a bit cold because it's <50F outside, here comes a guy on a big cruiser -- the only thing he's wearing that he wouldn't be otherwise is a beany helmet skidlid thing. Otherwise just tshirt and jeans, and it looks like he's going to cry because jesus christ even if you are only going 45mph it is still cold as poo poo outside put on a jacket you stupid son of a bitch!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Also: all the bees, gravel and other poo poo that hits you constantly.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
That's part of why it doesn't make sense to me. You're okay with being pelted with rocks and bugs and poo poo, and possibly frostbite, but sweating at stoplights is too much for you to handle?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

ReelBigLizard posted:

To be fair most of those things have giant fuckoff fairings and stuff since the new trend is BAGGERZZZZZZ, even trying to purposely roost them most of them would be fine

on my little babbby girl's bike i get pelted with poo poo constantly and cannot imagine riding without full face helmet at least. Have ridden without jacket a few times and did not find it pleasurable either.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ReelBigLizard posted:

Jesus, this. Some of the bugs (I think they were bugs. They may have been small birds) I've hit would not feel good smacking you in the cheek/forehead/chest.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I got stuck behind a dumptruck this morning and got pelted in the neck by gravel, it was the worst. I was not implementing the Wu Tang secret, and paid the price.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

apatite posted:

Other side of the coin: I see these guys on the road sometimes and it just looks painful. I'm wearing my gear but still a bit cold because it's <50F outside, here comes a guy on a big cruiser -- the only thing he's wearing that he wouldn't be otherwise is a beany helmet skidlid thing. Otherwise just tshirt and jeans, and it looks like he's going to cry because jesus christ even if you are only going 45mph it is still cold as poo poo outside put on a jacket you stupid son of a bitch!

I've seen that in the spring here. People who have been jonesing all winter to ride and then going out in a t-shirt and jeans when it's in the 50s.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm deep in the bowels of winter here, which is pretty much temperatures nearing single digits (celsius) and rain all the loving time. This means that the overwhelming majority of other riders I see are hardcore dudes who wear gear and ride year-round. Except for one guy I saw the other day who was on a brand new ninja 300, with a really expensive helmet, wearing literally no riding gear riding in the bucketing rain. My hands were soaked through my gloves and my crotch was swimming and this guy was cruising down the motorway at a hundred with bare hands and sneakers. I don't know what the gently caress, it was ten degrees out.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Alceste posted:

That's part of why it doesn't make sense to me. You're okay with being pelted with rocks and bugs and poo poo, and possibly frostbite, but sweating at stoplights is too much for you to handle?

being too cold in the wind = :911:
being too hot at the stoplight = :ussr:

Q.E.D.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
not matter how hot it is i will have some protective gear (and it sure gets hot here).

My rant for the day: finally nice weather, not too hot, and I'm sick ...

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

adary posted:

not matter how hot it is i will have some protective gear (and it sure gets hot here).

My rant for the day: finally nice weather, not too hot, and I'm sick ...

Same here, though my sick is entirely self inflicted. Too much beer in the sunshine yesterday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Same here, though my sick is entirely self inflicted. Too much beer in the sunshine yesterday!

I wish mine was self-inflicted. I caught the flu or something ...