Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I hope someone asks D'Souza about the free market declaring that his book is terrible and unfit for the shelf-space of a major retailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The girl with the hobby lobby, chick fila, and pro life shirt went on Fox and Friends and they talked about the comparison picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE_5LeYCuh0

"she wants to kill us americans"

'So much for tolerance' says the Fox News person defending someone who posted inflammatory selfies wherein the person making them flaunted their bigotry against homosexuals and pro-choice advocates in the hopes of 'making liberal heads explode.'

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

skaboomizzy posted:

I hope someone asks D'Souza about the free market declaring that his book is terrible and unfit for the shelf-space of a major retailer.

The free market wants it. Or at least would if there wasn't a liberal conspiracy to destroy his book sales.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I really don't get racists. Michelle is the first FLILF we've had since Jackie.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Shbobdb posted:

I really don't get racists. Michelle is the first FLILF we've had since Jackie.

James Buchanan's First Lady was smoking hot.

Liberty, motherfuckers.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

beatlegs posted:

So I guess all Dinesh D'Souza has to do is bitch and whine like a baby about a store not carrying his lovely book and it becomes a national news story? What the gently caress.

Just a reminder that Dinesh D'Souza told others (in particular, his mistress) before he was caught breaking campaign finance laws that he knew what he was doing was illegal, and that if caught he planned to use it to promote his book sales by pretending that this was an orchestrated liberal attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK0R0nqlKW8

So yeah he's pretty much a professional whiner. Criminally so.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jul 11, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hazo posted:

edit: What the gently caress, Boehner and his flunkies want to waste taxpayer money suing the president over the health care law? I've never seen anyone so spiteful and bitter that people can get health care more easily. It's baffling. They literally want people to go bankrupt or die.
It's a shiny object to be dangled in front of their FoxRushDrudge base, to make it look like they're doing something to try and stop Ebony Stalin's reign of terror. It's the "hey, look over there!" move to distract the base from the fact that they're not going to repeal Obamacare and they're not going to impeach him.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FMguru posted:

It's a shiny object to be dangled in front of their FoxRushDrudge base, to make it look like they're doing something to try and stop Ebony Stalin's reign of terror. It's the "hey, look over there!" move to distract the base from the fact that they're not going to repeal Obamacare and they're not going to impeach him.

They were never going to impeach him. They have basically on way to impeach him. It just isn't in the cards first off because Oblamma has to actually, you know, do something blatantly wrong with enough evidence of it in the first place and second off because Clinton is still recent in memory. For better or for worse that was a massive carnival of poo poo that made the GOP become a massive punchline. Currently it serves them better to have everybody demanding that Oblammo be impeached with the powers that be understanding that it's not going to happen. It keeps the base riled up and they can pay lip service to it, never shutting up about it but never actually doing it. They can blather all day about the hitlerstalin in office and his gigantic lieberal conspiracy and associate him with impeachment but never really say much other than "well we just KNOW he does poo poo wrong." I've seen and heard people talking about how it's "the right time" to impeach the president but when you ask the simple question "ok what are we impeaching him for and what evidence is there?" they have nothing to go on except the usual Benghazi and border nonsense. If you get something else it's something related to something involving money or how Obamacare isn't in the constitution or whatever. It's utter nonsense, top to bottom, and they can't actually come up with a legal reason to impeach but gently caress mercy do they never shut up about it.

I feel like a lot of it is the right being a bunch of sore losers. I'd rather this than what would have happened if they had won. Either way, it's a bunch of song and dance with plenty of smoke and mirrors to keep the base angry about just knowing that Oblammo is an islamofascisthitlerstalincriminal bent on destroying America just because he hates it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's still funny/infuriating that Obama has been completely neutered and accomplished like nothing except his halfassed Healthcare reform and the right honestly believes he's this dictator that is taking over the country. My mom is always talking about how he's a tyrant because he just does what he wants and ignores Congress and the Supreme Court. What reality do they live in?

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

Tender Bender posted:

It's still funny/infuriating that Obama has been completely neutered and accomplished like nothing except his halfassed Healthcare reform and the right honestly believes he's this dictator that is taking over the country. My mom is always talking about how he's a tyrant because he just does what he wants and ignores Congress and the Supreme Court. What reality do they live in?

The average person who acts that way is just an idiot of some sort or another but there are very smart people who found out that acting in this manner comes with no consequences and works really well against the average person who doesn't really pay attention to politics.

It froths up the base, makes the oppositions heads explode because there is no logical argument against insanity and it's surprisingly effective with fence sitters because it's pretty inconceivable that people in such positions of power are acting purely out of spite and hatred so the whole 'truth is in the middle' bullshit gets a lot of play, especially with how loving useless the media is these days.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

If you spend the lengthy amount of time required to have a calm talk with a person like that it usually comes down to "I don't trust him!" With no explanation beyond that. Now, maybe I am jumping a bit but I think it's really race based. Have the same talk with an open racist and sooner or later you get to "he's black." As if that's supposed to explain everything.

I have a pretty decent sized rightwing side of my family and over drinks and long chats where I try not to come off as accusatory or like I am arguing, that's what I come away with.

YMMV but for my extended family it seems they just can't bring themselves to trust a black man.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

skaboomizzy posted:

It's actually selling pretty well now that it's controversial and under attack from the insidious liberal conspiracy. Almost like that was the plan all along, to sell totemistic artifacts to overly persecuted whiners. Another example of how portions of the right are only interested in something once it's been deemed taboo by the strawman left.

Tender Bender posted:

The world is too complex for mostly everyone to comprehend, thus we specialize. Politics is one of those things where you kind of have to have an opinion to appear mature and responsible, even if you're incapable of formulating an opinion yourself. Thus you just adhere to one of the prepackaged opinions available to you. Blind Obama hate at this point is brand loyalty, the question is why they liked the first taste.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 11, 2014

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

DRUDGE ALERT

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
The weight room staff at my school's gym had Fox on today, and man they're masturbating about Boehner impeaching Obama.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The weight room staff at my school's gym had Fox on today, and man they're masturbating about Boehner impeaching Obama.

"masturbation" is a pretty accurate way to describe the whole thing, yeah.

God, I love how "Muslim" has become a dirty word politically for the right. It's the most nakedly prejudiced poo poo and nobody questions it. Like it's not even a dogwhistle, it's just "hey guys it's a scandal because there was some type of muslim element involved, and I don't need to tell you muslims are bad"

"heh, here's a picture of the president... EATING A FOOD FROM THE MIDDLE EAST" *gasps*

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Monkey Fracas posted:

God, I love how "Muslim" has become a dirty word politically for the right. It's the most nakedly prejudiced poo poo and nobody questions it. Like it's not even a dogwhistle, it's just "hey guys it's a scandal because there was some type of muslim element involved, and I don't need to tell you muslims are bad"

"heh, here's a picture of the president... EATING A FOOD FROM THE MIDDLE EAST" *gasps*

I wonder how those types of people feel about Kebabs, considering they did originate in that region.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Why is he doing "hook 'em horns"?

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

The conservative over sexualization of women is something that always bothered me as extremely hypocritical.

In the span of 30 seconds people will go from talking about Jesus and "them drat women that can't keep their legs shut" to which fox news anchor they would most like to gently caress. All without the slightest sense of self awareness.

Another forum I vist prefers bikini clad babes as avatars (and the discussion thereof) and constantly gets off on derails decrying the morals of today's teenagers, how they wouldent let their daughters dress like whores, and how we lost religion as a country and are totally doomed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pangstrom posted:

Obama listens to Slayer.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ray and Shirley posted:

"She doesn't look like any woman I've ever seen," exclaimed the tin of spam made flesh: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/07/10/alex-jones-sinks-to-a-new-low-calling-michelle-obama-the-first-tranny/

Wonkette had the best headline about this so far:

ALEX JONES DEMANDS TO SEE MICHELLE OBAMA’S LONG-FORM VAGINA

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Monkey Fracas posted:

I have this great cookbook of food from Jerusalem. Holy poo poo everything is awesome.

I'm half convinced that if everyone got together and started sharing their food people would calm the gently caress down about everything.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 11, 2014

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Obama listens to Slayer.

Pffft, NDSU Bison fan. GO HERD!!!

Seriously, though, I wonder what the break-down is between people who recognize and respond to dogwhistle racism and those who just take the talking points at face value due to GO TEAM RED.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

pangstrom posted:

He gave a pretty great speech at UT-Austin yesterday.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Iron Crowned posted:

I wonder how those types of people feel about Kebabs, considering they did originate in that region.

Kebabs are not as wide spread as you think they are.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Speaking of Muslims - since the hostilities between Hamas and Israel have popped up more, I've been seeing a crazy amount of right wing media popping up, especially on FB, with even more fervent "nuke them all" outlooks about Hamas. Obviously the violence is deplorable, but it seems like these people can't separate their hatred of Muslims from anything else.

In fact, it seems like the US's (and especially the right wing) backing of Israel is nothing more than a proxy war vs Islam.

I don't mean to get in a whole Zion/Anti-Semitism argument here, but you never hear a peep about the poo poo Israel does until someone pushes back against them, then all of a sudden every Right Wing blog and website on the planet is up in arms.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Really? I know Houston has a pretty good food scene and all but most places I go to have some form of kebab. Like, even the lame hippy cafe near me with like three things and some variation of 'soup of the day' has grilled salmon and veggie kebabs.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I miss the old Alex Jones set, this one is too slick and (dare I say it?) Beck-esque. I enjoyed the idea that he was just holed up in a room with big monitors cycling through JPEGs of syringes and an eye in a pyramid.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I grew up right by dearborn michigan and had no idea what a doner kebab was until read about them. They are not an inextricably arabic food.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I grew up right by dearborn michigan and had no idea what a doner kebab was until read about them. They are not an inextricably arabic food.

Doner kebabs are a little different, I'm talking about the strait up grilled meat and vegetables on a stick type that I thought were staples of barbeques.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

computer parts posted:

Kebabs are not as wide spread as you think they are.

In the U.S.? I've lived all over and I've never lived in a place where Kebabs weren't a thing.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Doner kebabs are a little different, I'm talking about the strait up grilled meat and vegetables on a stick type that I thought were staples of barbeques.

that's shish kabob

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
e. nvm, incorrect.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea I never heard of kebabs as a US thing at all, but you watch any show from the UK and there's bound to be a dozen references to them.

edit: need to specify that the kebab as common shop/street vendor thing is huge over there from what I can tell but I've never heard of it here.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Pththya-lyi posted:

Doner kebabs were actually invented by Turkish immigrants in Berlin, so you could fairly call them German food.

yeah that's why detroit has none of them, we already have more delicious arabic food then we can consume.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Kebab chat: Middle Eastern kebab or whatever is not very common in the US from I can tell. I know only a few places to get in Miami, and i'ma bit of a foodie.

Just putting meat on a stick? I don't see how that belongs to any one culture. Hispanic people do it, we call them "pinchos".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Levantine posted:

In the U.S.? I've lived all over and I've never lived in a place where Kebabs weren't a thing.

They're not really a thing in suburbs or other low concentration areas where conservatives like to live (there's a single persian restaurant in my college town and over here in Corvallis I have also only found one that I'm aware of).

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
There are kebab carts and places all over NYC, but that's hardly representative of America as a whole.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Gozinbulx posted:

Kebab chat: Middle Eastern kebab or whatever is not very common in the US from I can tell. I know only a few places to get in Miami, and i'ma bit of a foodie.

Just putting meat on a stick? I don't see how that belongs to any one culture. Hispanic people do it, we call them "pinchos".

The middle eastern version would be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shashlik

I want some shawarma now.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 11, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

OH NO MY DICK posted:

It's not prescient at all. Good movie, but not prescient. It drew all of its inspiration from the past. It nailed what we're seeing today because being an angry piece of poo poo is older than dirt.

I meant more in the way it illustrated the "conservative rebel" and the molding of conservative entertainment, propaganda and media manipulation with actual mainstream politics. The Bob Roberts personality fits right in to the stuff we're witnessing today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Don't forget gyros, which are probably the most prolific of the "spit-roasted sliced meat in pita" offerings available in America. loving Jack in the Box sold them for a time.