Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
When you start labeling GM food, people will avoid it because it will look like a warning label. This will push people away from the product and make stores drop them to look 'green'.
Basically it's a back door to banning GMO's, just like they 'banned' irradiated food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mrit posted:

When you start labeling GM food, people will avoid it because it will look like a warning label. This will push people away from the product and make stores drop them to look 'green'.
Basically it's a back door to banning GMO's, just like they 'banned' irradiated food.

Not if they label everything. As in, you go to the supermarket, and suddenly everything says "Oh, this also may have GMO's in it because we didn't bother checking it because there is no evidence it could harm you." Except a few things in the Organic section. Then it's basically business as usual. They just need to own this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I wonder if all these people mad about BIG FOOD know that big companies like Whole Foods are behind the push to label things so they can increase their own sales...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not if they label everything. As in, you go to the supermarket, and suddenly everything says "Oh, this also may have GMO's in it because we didn't bother checking it because there is no evidence it could harm you." Except a few things in the Organic section. Then it's basically business as usual. They just need to own this.

I'm curious as to how this would work for fresh fruit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

computer parts posted:

I'm curious as to how this would work for fresh fruit.

Oh I'm sure these people support labeling that, I mean even the most 'organic' apples and such are 'genetically modified' in multiple critical ways, these people are smart and rational enough to know that!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The food industry is pretty well consolidated, but not enough that this would work. There would be a competitive advantage to having non-GM products under a labeling scheme, and it's not one that everyone would be willing to ignore for the sake of "GM is actually fine" universal labeling.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Strudel Man posted:

The food industry is pretty well consolidated, but not enough that this would work. There would be a competitive advantage to having non-GM products under a labeling scheme, and it's not one that everyone would be willing to ignore for the sake of "GM is actually fine" universal labeling.

It's oddly enough one of those things that would work if it really was a conspiracy.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
If it's back of the label type stuff where it's just listed as part of the ingredients - (Water, soy, vanilla) vs (Water, genetically modified soy, vanilla) - then I really don't care. Here in WA they tried to mandate front of the label "warning" labels and that's utter bullshit.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Strudel Man posted:

If the following graphic was not pulled out of someone's rear end, then a whole lot of the industry came together against labeling. It seems like basically biting the bullet once and showing it as being bullshit would be cheaper than having to fight and lobby against labeling every single state, every single appeal, etc.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If the following graphic was not pulled out of someone's rear end, then a whole lot of the industry came together against labeling. It seems like basically biting the bullet once and showing it as being bullshit would be cheaper than having to fight and lobby against labeling every single state, every single appeal, etc.

Them actually agreeing together to label everything would probably be illegal collusion and restraint of trade. If there was a market that would pay more for No-GMO labeled produce, the agreement would break down pretty quickly. That's the point of competition.

They don't have a choice but to oppose labeling in the first place.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Deteriorata posted:

Them actually agreeing together to label everything would probably be illegal collusion and restraint of trade. If there was a market that would pay more for No-GMO labeled produce, the agreement would break down pretty quickly. That's the point of competition.

They don't have a choice but to oppose labeling in the first place.

Oh! I see! If the government regulates labeling poorly, there is basically no way for the private sector to legally bypass this, and then it's basically a massively multiplayer prisoner's dilemma! I'm going to try and remember that.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Just saw this, the paper from a few years ago about roundup ready corn was republished after another peer-review cycle and modifications addressing earlier concerns, any thoughts from you guys?
http://www.alternet.org/food/major-study-demonstrates-monsanto-gmo-corn-product-can-cause-damage-liver-and-kidneys-and?page=0%2C0

quote:

"This study has now successfully passed no less than three rounds of rigorous peer review."

[...]

The study examines the health effects on rats of eating Roundup-tolerant NK603 genetically modified (GM) maize (from 11% in the diet), cultivated with or without Roundup application, and Roundup alone (from 0.1 ppb of the full pesticide containing glyphosate and adjuvants) in drinking water. It found:

-"Biochemical analyses confirmed very significant chronic kidney deficiencies, for all treatments and both sexes; 76% of the altered parameters were kidney-related.
-"In treated males, liver congestions and necrosis were 2.5 to 5.5 times higher. Marked and severe nephropathies were also generally 1.3 to 2.3 times greater.
-"In females, all treatment groups showed a two- to threefold increase in mortality, and deaths were earlier.
-"This difference was also evident in three male groups fed with GM maize.
-"All results were hormone- and sex-dependent, and the pathological profiles were comparable.
-"Females developed large mammary tumors more frequently and before controls;
-"the pituitary was the second most disabled organ;
-"the sex hormonal balance was modified by consumption of GM maize and Roundup treatments.
-"Males presented up to four times more large palpable tumors starting 600 days earlier than in the control group, in which only one tumor was noted.
-"These results may be explained by not only the non-linear endocrine-disrupting effects of Roundup but also by the overexpression of the EPSPS transgene or other mutational effects in the GM maize and their metabolic consequences.
-"Our findings imply that long-term (2 year) feeding trials need to be conducted to thoroughly evaluate the safety of GM foods and pesticides in their full commercial formulations."

[...]

"The most obvious deficiency relates to the fact that the current approval process is based on animal feeding trials of only 90 days, a totally inadequate duration when one considers that chronic diseases in animals and humans do not usually manifest until mid-life."

A second deficiency, he added, relates to the newly emerging science of epigenetics - which demonstrates that endocrine systems can be seriously disrupted by the presence of chemical residues at concentrations as low as a few parts per billion.

"This turns on its head the logic of an approval process based on MRL (maximum residue levels), since it is becoming increasingly apparent that these chemicals have patterns of non-linear response."

The tone of the alternet article puts me off, but it has some interesting stuff in there.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Just saw this, the paper from a few years ago about roundup ready corn was republished after another peer-review cycle and modifications addressing earlier concerns, any thoughts from you guys?
http://www.alternet.org/food/major-study-demonstrates-monsanto-gmo-corn-product-can-cause-damage-liver-and-kidneys-and?page=0%2C0

The tone of the alternet article puts me off, but it has some interesting stuff in there.

I think we would need to see the full paper to make any useful judgments about it's validity. One thing pointed out in the article though:

quote:

"A more in-depth look at the raw data revealed that no definitive conclusions can be reached with this small sample size regarding the role of either NK603 or glyphosate in regards to overall mortality or tumor incidence. Given the known high incidence of tumors in the Sprague-Dawley rat, normal variability cannot be excluded as the cause of the higher mortality and incidence observed in the treated groups."

This makes it sound like they used a breed of rat with an already high rate of tumor growth and that the tumor rate for the sample was within the normal variance for that breed of rat. It also sounds like their sample size might have been statistically insignificant.

In any case, I would say that more publicly funded research should be done before making any significant regulatory changes.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I think we would need to see the full paper to make any useful judgments about it's validity. One thing pointed out in the article though:

This makes it sound like they used a breed of rat with an already high rate of tumor growth and that the tumor rate for the sample was within the normal variance for that breed of rat. It also sounds like their sample size might have been statistically insignificant.

In any case, I would say that more publicly funded research should be done before making any significant regulatory changes.

Yeah, I noticed that too, but the article itself points out/argues that that is from one of three peer review sources, was only done after intense industry pressure, and links to this which criticizes the retraction, mainly

quote:

The major criticisms of the Seralini manuscript were that the proper strain of rats was not used and their numbers were too small. Neither criticism is valid. The strain of rat is that required by the FDA for drug toxicology, and the toxic effects were unambiguously significant. In fact, Monsanto published a similar study in the same journal eight years before using the same number and strain of rats. Their study was for 90 days and claimed no harm. In contrast, the Seralini study was for two years and did not see any tumors until after nine months.

Definitely agree that more research needs to be done, but the main conclusions of the paper itself are that the testing times need to be re-examined (90 days may not be enough) and that ""This turns on its head the logic of an approval process based on MRL (maximum residue levels), since it is becoming increasingly apparent that these chemicals have patterns of non-linear response.""

Edit: the entire paper is open access and can be found here: http://www.enveurope.com/content/26/1/14

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

quote:

However it was retracted by the editor-in-chief of the Journal in November 2013 after a sustained campaign of criticism and defamation by pro-GMO scientists.

:downs:

The study was garbage, the people behind it are nutjob crusaders, the experiment was intentionally designed poorly to reach a certain conclusion, and, even though the journal can't say it for fear of libel laws, the data was probably fabricated: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278691512005637

"Pro-GMO scientists" (aka, "scientists") had no problem explaining why this was bullshit. Unsurprisingly, it had to move from a real journal to a meaningless house organ of the European anti-technology movement http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2014/06/25/examining-environmental-sciences-europe-journal-that-re-published-seralini-study/ in order to get published.

Anti-food campaigners have absolutely no compunction about lying, corrupting the scientific process, or spinning wild conspiracy theories in which every scientist on Earth but them has been corrupted by the black Monsanto vans.

There are many tentpoles in what makes science science: peer review is one of them, and this study obviously flamed out on that. But another is reproducibility. If some other person, preferably one who has any track record in molecular biology at all besides lunatic anti-GMO shrieking, can get similar results, then that means something. Of course, that isn't going to happen.

By the way, and you should not be surprised at this point, it's categorically untrue that no data from the thousands of studies showing no harm from GMO crops are available, but it is true that Seralini requires reporters to sign confidentiality agreements prohibiting them from discussing anything but his press releases before doing interviews, and that he continues to stonewall inquiries over his falsified study and drop out of debates and interviews at the last minute if he find out anyone but anti-GMO people will be present.

meat sweats fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 11, 2014

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

meat sweats posted:

:downs:

The study was garbage, the people behind it are nutjob crusaders, the experiment was intentionally designed poorly to reach a certain conclusion, and, even though the journal can't say it for fear of libel laws, the data was probably fabricated: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278691512005637

"Pro-GMO scientists" (aka, "scientists") had no problem explaining why this was bullshit. Unsurprisingly, it had to move from a real journal to a meaningless house organ of the European anti-technology movement http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2014/06/25/examining-environmental-sciences-europe-journal-that-re-published-seralini-study/ in order to get published.
By the way, and you should not be surprised at this point, it's categorically untrue that no data from the thousands of studies showing no harm from GMO crops are available, but it is true that Seralini requires reports to sign confidentiality agreements prohibiting them from discussing anything but his press releases before doing interviews, and that he continues to stonewall inquiries over his falsified study and drop out of debates and interviews at the last minute if he find out anyone but anti-GMO people will be present.

Ah ok, I knew the paper was roundly criticized last time around, was wondering if the latest revisions and peer-reviews made it any better. Thanks for the response! I like alternet for a lot of political talk, but the tone of this set me on edge, what with the digs at GMO inside the article itself.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

It's also important to look at broader context -- obviously, controlled experiments on new foods should and will continue. But the reality is that we are entering the third decade of GMO food being a regular part of the North American diet, and cancer continues to go down. When you control for obesity (which is related to GMOs only in the sense that they do what people like FRINGE and Tight Booty Shorts hate, namely make cheap food plentiful and prevent malnutrition and starvation from being concerns), humans in the Western Hemisphere have never been healthier. The ultimate test of anything is its effect in real world conditions. We're seeing the death throes of the food science crackpot movement as it becomes clear that daily consumption of GMO products is not hurting anybody.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Essentially, if you see Seralini as an author on a paper, it's not worth reading. Pretty much the only useful thing he said in the paper is the rather obvious statement that long term studies are good.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It is obvious that the study set out to prove its point using emotional images (the rats should have been euthanized after developing the tumours instead of allowing them to grow so large, and images of the same type of tumour on the control rats were not used). That's a pretty flagrant ethical violation in addition to all the other problems.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Yeah, I noticed that too, but the article itself points out/argues that that is from one of three peer review sources, was only done after intense industry pressure, and links to this which criticizes the retraction, mainly

Definitely agree that more research needs to be done, but the main conclusions of the paper itself are that the testing times need to be re-examined (90 days may not be enough) and that ""This turns on its head the logic of an approval process based on MRL (maximum residue levels), since it is becoming increasingly apparent that these chemicals have patterns of non-linear response.""

Edit: the entire paper is open access and can be found here: http://www.enveurope.com/content/26/1/14

It's interesting, but the groups are so small (10 rats per variation) and they found no overall relationship between dosage and result. Their suggestion that this is monotonic or threshold effect on endocrine weakens the rat-human comparison a great deal. In addition, though they're using a toxicity model, most of their results are actually tumors, which are something that these rats tend to get a lot. 46% of those rats produced tumors in another study spontaneously after 14 months http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/33/11/276. That's a higher rate than had tumors in the 'treated' group in this GMO study. They also claimed at that point there were no 'palpable' tumors in the control, which would be rather startling with that breed of rat. Of course, palpability is highly subjective.

They seem to be focusing on tumor size a great deal for some reason. I don't see the value in this.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

blowfish posted:

Essentially, if you see Seralini as an author on a paper, it's not worth reading. Pretty much the only useful thing he said in the paper is the rather obvious statement that long term studies are good.

Also, seeing a scientific paper touted on a site like alternet should be a red flag. They don't have the training to evaluate the paper on its merits, so it's likely it's there to promote an agenda.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
I should point out that for many journals the editors lack as much expertise as they should have. Further, there's been a tendency to pass a lot of work off to "junior editors" who usually have even less expertise. This results in the journal soliciting the scientists themselves for a list of potential peer reviewers with several conditions meant to reduce the chance of a conflict of interest. Under ideal circumstances and good faith on the part of the researchers, this system ensures the peer reviewers are those best able to understand the performed research. When the authors have an agenda, as it's kinda clear these guys do, it's easy to select sympathetic peer reviewers who will give even bad research a pass. Thus, the follow-up reviews after the research has been published tend to have more credibility, especially in a field like this where only general expertise is really required to understand the research.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I should point out that for many journals the editors lack as much expertise as they should have. Further, there's been a tendency to pass a lot of work off to "junior editors" who usually have even less expertise. This results in the journal soliciting the scientists themselves for a list of potential peer reviewers with several conditions meant to reduce the chance of a conflict of interest. Under ideal circumstances and good faith on the part of the researchers, this system ensures the peer reviewers are those best able to understand the performed research. When the authors have an agenda, as it's kinda clear these guys do, it's easy to select sympathetic peer reviewers who will give even bad research a pass. Thus, the follow-up reviews after the research has been published tend to have more credibility, especially in a field like this where only general expertise is really required to understand the research.

This thread hasn't talked much about fundamental attitudes towards science, but this is a good start. In my view (which is basically the mainstream view) good science is composed of four pillars:

*Peer review
*Reproducibility
*Falsifiability
*Proper experimental design, especially vis-a-vis a control group

The Seralini research is questionable or already failed on all counts. The peer review process proclaimed it worthless. It is reproducible in that the experiment is laid out in the paper and could be done again by anyone, so it is not pseudoscience in this respect, but if the experiment is done again and again and fails to get similar results, then the results have not been reproduced so it is most likely bad or unreliable science. It's questionable whether anything in the anti-GMO creed is falsifiable -- no matter how many billions of people eat GMO corn and tomatoes every day with no ill effects, they always call for more testing or change the topic to biodiversity or corporate power. This is a hallmark of pseudo- or non-science -- setting up a fortress of rhetoric so that there is no conceivable real-world event that could prove the hypothesis wrong. As for the last one, this particular experiment was a nightmare from an experimental design perspective, particularly because the control group was rats known to spontaneously produce tumors, so the results would have little value all else aside.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

meat sweats posted:

billions of people eat GMO corn and tomatoes every day with no ill effects
Just to be a pedantic rear end, billions of people are not eating GMO tomatoes because there are none on the market. Some may be eating test batches, for all I know. As in, at the "worst" it's being thoroughly tested. Those MONSTERS.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

meat sweats posted:

This thread hasn't talked much about fundamental attitudes towards science, but this is a good start. In my view (which is basically the mainstream view) good science is composed of four pillars:

*Peer review
*Reproducibility
*Falsifiability
*Proper experimental design, especially vis-a-vis a control group

The Seralini research is questionable or already failed on all counts. The peer review process proclaimed it worthless. It is reproducible in that the experiment is laid out in the paper and could be done again by anyone, so it is not pseudoscience in this respect, but if the experiment is done again and again and fails to get similar results, then the results have not been reproduced so it is most likely bad or unreliable science. It's questionable whether anything in the anti-GMO creed is falsifiable -- no matter how many billions of people eat GMO corn and tomatoes every day with no ill effects, they always call for more testing or change the topic to biodiversity or corporate power. This is a hallmark of pseudo- or non-science -- setting up a fortress of rhetoric so that there is no conceivable real-world event that could prove the hypothesis wrong. As for the last one, this particular experiment was a nightmare from an experimental design perspective, particularly because the control group was rats known to spontaneously produce tumors, so the results would have little value all else aside.

Full disclosure of conflict of interest would be a tangent to those four. While not as necessary to actual experimental design or publication as the other four, it does show that it's being done in good faith. When there's no disclosure of a critical conflict of interest, it throws everything else into doubt to the degree that the research will suddenly be very dubious even if everything is done properly.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

I think the principles above are designed to allow research to speak for itself free of biases and not have to go down the "whose interests are you speaking for" path. All research has to be funded by somebody and people can tar science they don't like all day long by pointing to unrelated crimes of the US or French governments or some corporation. It's particularly unhelpful in the food and drug testing arena, since companies are REQUIRED to conduct and fund their own tests as part of the safety regulation regime.

With that said, just for laughs, of course Seralini is funded by Greenpeace and sits on the board of two luddite anti-tech organizations, in actual fact, while his opponents are people who work for universities and the like but are accused of being secret Monsanto puppets using typical conspiracy theory logic (i.e., "only a deluded or evil person would ever disagree with me, therefore by the fact of disagreeing with me you must be deluded by Monsanto propaganda or an evil agent of Monsanto").

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

meat sweats posted:

I think the principles above are designed to allow research to speak for itself free of biases and not have to go down the "whose interests are you speaking for" path. All research has to be funded by somebody and people can tar science they don't like all day long by pointing to unrelated crimes of the US or French governments or some corporation. It's particularly unhelpful in the food and drug testing arena, since companies are REQUIRED to conduct and fund their own tests as part of the safety regulation regime.

With that said, just for laughs, of course Seralini is funded by Greenpeace and sits on the board of two luddite anti-tech organizations, in actual fact, while his opponents are people who work for universities and the like but are accused of being secret Monsanto puppets using typical conspiracy theory logic (i.e., "only a deluded or evil person would ever disagree with me, therefore by the fact of disagreeing with me you must be deluded by Monsanto propaganda or an evil agent of Monsanto").

I agree, which is why I said it was tangent to the other four. There has to be some assumption of good faith in most research, though, for practical reasons. There's simply not enough time to reproduce every single experiment. For many, the question of reproducing research isn't really necessary since it's concordant with other data in the field. For many, though, we have to pick and choose what to replicate. Sometimes that's because it's a revolutionary result, but if a major conflict of interest isn't disclosed that makes it an obvious target as well.

With regards to loonies who use imagined conflicts of interest or real, stated sources of funding as reasons to doubt research, gently caress 'em, you can't convince them anyways. You can just try to minimize the damage they do.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I agree, which is why I said it was tangent to the other four. There has to be some assumption of good faith in most research, though, for practical reasons. There's simply not enough time to reproduce every single experiment. For many, the question of reproducing research isn't really necessary since it's concordant with other data in the field. For many, though, we have to pick and choose what to replicate. Sometimes that's because it's a revolutionary result, but if a major conflict of interest isn't disclosed that makes it an obvious target as well.

With regards to loonies who use imagined conflicts of interest or real, stated sources of funding as reasons to doubt research, gently caress 'em, you can't convince them anyways. You can just try to minimize the damage they do.

The way to enforce "good faith" is to make sure to fall down like a ton of bricks on anyone who betrays that trust. Which hasn't happened with Séralini, unfortunately.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The way to enforce "good faith" is to make sure to fall down like a ton of bricks on anyone who betrays that trust. Which hasn't happened with Séralini, unfortunately.

The hammer rarely comes down as hard as it should. Wakefield should be a standard, not an anomaly. Has Nature even retracted that acid-bath stem cells paper yet?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Adventure Pigeon posted:

The hammer rarely comes down as hard as it should. Wakefield should be a standard, not an anomaly. Has Nature even retracted that acid-bath stem cells paper yet?

Yep.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

That's something at least. Anyhow, Seralini still seems to be publishing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Seralini

At least, hopefully, his work is going to be heavily scrutinized from here on out.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
I havent read it except to skim and clip a bit for here.

http://www.enveurope.com/content/26/1/14

quote:

Republished study: long-term toxicity of a Roundup herbicide and a Roundup-tolerant genetically modified maize

Background

The health effects of a Roundup-tolerant NK603 genetically modified (GM) maize (from 11% in the diet), cultivated with or without Roundup application and Roundup alone (from 0.1 ppb of the full pesticide containing glyphosate and adjuvants) in drinking water, were evaluated for 2 years in rats. This study constitutes a follow-up investigation of a 90-day feeding study conducted by Monsanto in order to obtain commercial release of this GMO, employing the same rat strain and analyzing biochemical parameters on the same number of animals per group as our investigation. Our research represents the first chronic study on these substances, in which all observations including tumors are reported chronologically. Thus, it was not designed as a carcinogenicity study. We report the major findings with 34 organs observed and 56 parameters analyzed at 11 time points for most organs.
Results

Biochemical analyses confirmed very significant chronic kidney deficiencies, for all treatments and both sexes; 76% of the altered parameters were kidney-related. In treated males, liver congestions and necrosis were 2.5 to 5.5 times higher. Marked and severe nephropathies were also generally 1.3 to 2.3 times greater. In females, all treatment groups showed a two- to threefold increase in mortality, and deaths were earlier. This difference was also evident in three male groups fed with GM maize. All results were hormone- and sex-dependent, and the pathological profiles were comparable. Females developed large mammary tumors more frequently and before controls; the pituitary was the second most disabled organ; the sex hormonal balance was modified by consumption of GM maize and Roundup treatments. Males presented up to four times more large palpable tumors starting 600 days earlier than in the control group, in which only one tumor was noted. These results may be explained by not only the non-linear endocrine-disrupting effects of Roundup but also by the overexpression of the EPSPS transgene or other mutational effects in the GM maize and their metabolic consequences.
Conclusion

Our findings imply that long-term (2 year) feeding trials need to be conducted to thoroughly evaluate the safety of GM foods and pesticides in their full commercial formulations.

quote:

There is an ongoing international debate as to the necessary length of mammalian toxicity studies, including metabolic analyses, in relation to the consumption of genetically modified (GM) plants [1]. Currently, no regulatory authority requires mandatory chronic animal feeding studies to be performed for edible genetically modified organisms (GMOs), or even short-term studies with blood analyses for the full commercial formulations of pesticides as sold and used, but only for the declared active principle alone

quote:

Furthermore, evaluation of long-term toxicity of herbicides is generally performed on mammalian physiology employing only their active principle, rather than the complete formulations as used in agriculture. This was the case for glyphosate (G) [17], the declared active chemical constituent of R. It is important to note that G is only able to efficiently penetrate target plant organisms with the help of adjuvants present in the various commercially used R formulations [18]. Even if G has shown to interact directly with the active site of aromatase at high levels [19], at low contaminating levels, adjuvants may be better candidates than G to explain the toxicity or endocrine disruptive side effects of R on human cells [8,20] and also in vivo for acute toxicity [21]. In this regard, it is noteworthy that the far greater toxicity of full agricultural formulations compared to declared supposed active principles alone has recently been demonstrated also for six other major pesticides tested in vitro[22].

quote:

We used the Sprague-Dawley strain of rat, as recommended for chronic toxicology tests by the National Toxicology Program in the USA [31], and as used by Monsanto in its 90-day study [3]. This choice is also consistent with the recommendation of the OECD that for a chronic toxicity test, rats of the same strain should be used as in studies on the same substance but of shorter duration [32].

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Imagine how much non-profit GMO research you could fund with the money thrown at this kind of bullshit. :sigh:
Imagine how well-funded nutrition efforts would be worldwide if the entire private GM lobbying fund was seized and distributed!

Your Monsanto underwear is showing. Selectively offended much?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FRINGE posted:

And you make it really obvious. :allears:

Adventure Pigeon posted:

That's something at least. Anyhow, Seralini still seems to be publishing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Seralini

At least, hopefully, his work is going to be heavily scrutinized from here on out.

Seralini has been known to put out humdrum but clearly well done research for a while.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FRINGE posted:

Imagine how well-funded nutrition efforts would be worldwide if the entire private GM lobbying fund was seized and distributed!

The primary problem with that research is his choice of rats. Sprague-Dawley rats are a bad choice for a two-year study, because they are specifically bred to spontaneously generate tumors like crazy. Here's a paper about them: http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/33/11/2768.full.pdf

quote:

A spontaneous tumor incidence of 45% was noted in 360 Sprague-Dawley rats (179 males and 181 females) and a 26% incidence was seen in 254 Swiss mice (101 males and 153 females) used as untreated control animals in an 18-month series of carcinogenesis experiments.

45% of the rats developed tumors in 18 months, so it would naturally be even worse for a two years study. It's rather clear that the problems recorded with the rats are primarily due to the rats themselves, not what they were eating.

It seems to be a very well done bad study.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

FRINGE posted:

Your Monsanto underwear is showing.

meat sweats posted:

typical conspiracy theory logic (i.e., "only a deluded or evil person would ever disagree with me, therefore by the fact of disagreeing with me you must be deluded by Monsanto propaganda or an evil agent of Monsanto").

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

FRINGE posted:

Not very, since nutrition worldwide is an expensive proposition and GMO lobbying funding across the industry probably doesn't total more than 30 million a year (generous estimate.)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Kalman posted:

Not very, since nutrition worldwide is an expensive proposition and GMO lobbying funding across the industry probably doesn't total more than 30 million a year (generous estimate.)
So with your 'generous estimate' the even smaller amount raised in Vermont is meaningless. (Should we also include marketing money? Which is larger and more comparable in intention.)

Which helps prove my point that his post was a pointless jab at Vermont.

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/print-edition/2011/07/29/seed-funding.html?page=all

quote:

Monsanto’s marketing budget, which includes both brand and corporate marketing, totaled $839 million in 2010, down from $934 million in 2009, according to filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

You are probably the second-most useless person in this thread after fishmech. Unless youre his third account.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

What is your point? Why are you still doing the good old "I havent read it except to skim and clip a bit" which you do in every thread?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

FRINGE posted:

Isn't that the retracted study published elsewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Isn't that the retracted study published elsewhere?
Its June 2014 with additional data.

Someone with time will (Im assuming) comb the data.

• Locked thread