Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Phone postin don't mind me :downs:

platedlizard fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
My current favorite conspiracy is that the Navy deliberately kills whales with sonar in order to genocide/keep secret mermaids. On top of that they are also shutting down websites detailing the genocide of mermaids (and not, you know, the sites shutting down because their owners aren't around to maintain them) NOAA, of all things, is behind it. NOAA is the most adorable alphabet agency imo so it's extra hilarious. It's right up there with The Elven Holocaust when it comes to fantasy creature-based conspiracy theories.

Let me tell you about how Animal Planet's documentary about a dead 'mermaid' is 100% true some good stuff there.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yep! It's like taking a time warp back to 1973 when you go to check out in one of them. They also primarily play Christian music over the instore speakers (but no Christian rock because rock is evil!) and refuse to open on Sundays. They've also refused to carry crafting items related to any non-Christian religions or holidays.

Basically the company is literally run by the kind of people who believe Jack Chick tracts are 100% truth.

Are there Islamic crafting items? I want to see them.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

SedanChair posted:

Are there Islamic crafting items? I want to see them.

Like the "don't draw the prophet" drawing kit?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The North Tower posted:

Like the "don't draw the prophet" drawing kit?

Sir jests (shittily), but of course there is. Of particular interest are the traditional tent-quilts and painted tiles, any larger islamic metropol has amazing stuff all over.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I guess I wasn't thinking of putting the rich history of traditional artisans into the category of "crafts" like you'd find at Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Ah, sorry. English isn't my first language, I thought it was the same thing :doh:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
In the spirit of this thread, let me be the first to tell you to gently caress off and die you dirty foreigners. These colors don't run.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tias posted:

Ah, sorry. English isn't my first language, I thought it was the same thing :doh:

The word 'craft' could be used for either, but craft stores like these generally have lower-grade stuff for really kitschy art projects plus some other basic material. For higher-quality artistic supplies you'd almost certainly go somewhere else. (Not that I've been to a Hobby Lobby here, but I've been to Michael's.)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lknW2mzXMMY

Neodymium
Jun 23, 2012

When barcode conspiracy-chat started, I knew that this video had to be posted. It never ceases to be hilarious.

For those who haven't clicked the link, it's an 80s music video about how barcodes are the Mark of the Beast.
If I remember correctly some weird cult made it to promote joining their wilderness compound. Insane and disturbingly catchy.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://redlettermedia.com/best-of-the-worst-wheel-of-the-worst-5/

Red Letter Media actually encountered the complete cult movie VHS

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Has someone uploaded it? I would watch the poo poo out of a full-length version of that craziness.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

Has someone uploaded it? I would watch the poo poo out of a full-length version of that craziness.

Prepare yourself, sinner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RfU5r63AXY

I like that they progress from catchy pop songs to insane end-times rambling so slowly you might not even notice until there's a song all about how believing in evolution makes you a pawn of the devil.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
What the fuuuuucccckkkk. So I guess like all other doomsday cults, even if the evil satan barcodes aren't being put on people's foreheads yet, it's liable to happen ANY DAY NOW, right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm a little shocked they haven't dropped UPCs for QR codes as the new satanic horror. Although to be fair to the Family International, they haven't quite gotten back onto their feet since their prophet lost his mind and killed a bunch of their leadership for raping him as a child.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm a little shocked they haven't dropped UPCs for QR codes as the new satanic horror. Although to be fair to the Family International, they haven't quite gotten back onto their feet since their prophet lost his mind and killed a bunch of their leadership for raping him as a child.

QR codes are just double barcodes so they don't need to come up with extra stuff against them, other than that they are clearly satan squared.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The mark of the beast is supposed to actually be used for something, so it definitely won't be QR codes.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Oh goody, is it time for me to post the real poo poo again?

Don't Make Me Go Back, Mommy: A Child's Book about Satanic Ritual Abuse

Butts McGee
Aug 17, 2012
What really makes the SOS video is that it's made by the Family International. These guys. Also prolific child abusers and abductors. Poke around the site, they're straight up crazy.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SedanChair posted:

Terrorize your kids into prayer to Jesus today! :sun:

gently caress these people with rusty razors, loving monsters. :cripes:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Of course the fun thing about Satanic Ritual Abuse is that it never existed.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

For satanic Ritual Abuse panic I recommend a documentary called Cropsey about Staten Island that I really enjoyed. It isn't a perfect documentary and the filmmaker definitely seems confused at the end about exactly what he wants to say but it was interesting and fruitful for me nonetheless. You can probably find it online for free.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

Of course the fun thing about Satanic Ritual Abuse is that it never existed.

But we showed kids this book and they said it happened to them!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
It also sent waves across conservative Christian communities, causing them to crack down on things like the dreaded Dungeons and Dragons, Ouija Boards which were clearly real and demonic witchery in action, and basically anything that was fun that wasn't directly related to the Bible (so really, anything that was fun at all). It was a pretty lovely time to be a kid.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's really bizarre because the Dungeon and Dragons and Harry Potter hysteria comes off the presumption that magic is real and has very serious consequences.
If spells were being published in mainstream books you can get off of Amazon I'm pretty sure it'd make national headlines and DnD would be the most popular hobby ever instead of something weird nerds who don't bathe do. Think of the military and scientific applications.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's really bizarre because the Dungeon and Dragons and Harry Potter hysteria comes off the presumption that magic is real and has very serious consequences.
If spells were being published in mainstream books you can get off of Amazon I'm pretty sure it'd make national headlines and DnD would be the most popular hobby ever instead of something weird nerds who don't bathe do. Think of the military and scientific applications.

The wizards are covering everything up with their mind spells, fortunately the light of Jesus allows the righteous to fight back in limited ways.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Those sorts of people believe that the reason they can't find their keys in the morning is because devils hid them to make them late for work, and that they eventually found their keys because they prayed so hard that God rewarded their faith. They do really think that perfectly mundane things have supernatural explanations, so the "magic" they're afraid of in Dungeons and Dragons is probably poo poo like "the power to question parental authority" and the evil consequences stuff like weakened resistance to masturbation.

The parents of one of the kids killed in the Columbine shooting wrote a crazy memoir about their daughter that explained how she had been possessed by a demon because at age 14 she started getting moody and talking back to them and wanted to spend more time alone and make choices for herself. The whole book is about how they all prayed together and eventually their obedient, compliant daughter returned after fighting off the devil clouding her mind (i.e. they broke her spirit and she lost all sense of self). It was a best-seller, and a pretty fascinating look inside the worldview of people who live outwardly normal lives and seem perfectly sane yet interpret their growing daughter's completely normal adolescent psychological development as literal demonic possession. It goes without saying that they saw her murder as Satan's revenge for her escape from his grasp (completely hollow, of course, because she went straight to Heaven).

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Jack Gladney posted:

The parents of one of the kids killed in the Columbine shooting wrote a crazy memoir about their daughter that explained how she had been possessed by a demon because at age 14 she started getting moody and talking back to them and wanted to spend more time alone and make choices for herself. The whole book is about how they all prayed together and eventually their obedient, compliant daughter returned after fighting off the devil clouding her mind (i.e. they broke her spirit and she lost all sense of self). It was a best-seller, and a pretty fascinating look inside the worldview of people who live outwardly normal lives and seem perfectly sane yet interpret their growing daughter's completely normal adolescent psychological development as literal demonic possession. It goes without saying that they saw her murder as Satan's revenge for her escape from his grasp (completely hollow, of course, because she went straight to Heaven).

Haha holy poo poo how did I never realize this? :wtc:

She Said Yes posted:

One of the most gripping stories to come out of the shooting at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo., is that of Cassie Bernall: when asked by the gunmen whether she believed in God, she answered yes and then was shot point-blank. Hours after the story emerged, Cassie was hailed a martyr by news media and Christian groups around the world. Her mother's smoothly written account of that day, and of the years that preceded it, provides a fuller picture of a girl who was once very troubled and, ironically, had been for a time as much of a Goth-loving outsider as her killers. Bernall relates how she and her husband intervened after finding letters in Cassie's room that described occult spells and ways to murder one's parents.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I guess I have a hard time seeing that incident as an amazing act of martyrdom anyway. Like, if a guy pointed a gun at me and asked me if I believe in god, I would just tell the truth because who the hell knows what that guy wants to hear right? Unless I could figure it out on the spot somehow I'd just go with the truth; if I'm going to be shot might as well be shot for what I really am right?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
According to multiple eyewitness accounts from other students it never happened. It's possibly a total fabrication by the mother, or it might have been a different conversation with a different student, or just a bit of folklore that people liked the sound of.

moller fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 13, 2014

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

That The 90's show had Cassie's best friend on, followed by the mother.

Cassie Bernall was a lesbian.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I found this on YouTube not long ago and it still makes me giggle. Not sure how I found it, but that doesn't really matter anymore.

ALERT BREAKING NEWS EARTH HAS 4 MAGNETIC POLES!!!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hCL8ZpXM9E

quote:

THIS WILL COME AS A COMPLETE SHOCK THAT THIS PLANET HAS TWO NORTH POLES AND TWO SOUTH POLES, AND TWO OF THEM ARE RUSHING TOGETHER WHICH WILL IN TURN LEAD TO A FULL MAGNETIC REVERSAL IT'S HAPPENING RIGHT NOW GUYS, NOT LONG BEFORE WE GET FULL MAGNETIC DISLOCATION AND THEN WE ARE IN UNCHARTED TERRITORY, TO SUPPORT THIS CHANNEL WITH A CONTRIBUTION OR SIMPLY BY THE HOST A COFFEE LINK BELOW

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Well the irony is there is some speculation that the poles might flip about in the scientific literature.

Its a process that would take thousands of years and be more or less imperceptable, except to birds maybe.

Whatever the case is its no big deal. Its happened a bunch of times before. I'm not sure how this guy imagines it to work, but its just a byproduct of
heat differentials inside the core turbulating the flow of molten metals.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earth-s-magnetic-field-flip-could-happen-sooner-than-expected/

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I thought part of the "2 Magnetic North Poles" thing was also due to the fact that the "North Magnetic Pole" isn't on the surface of the planet, and our planet isn't a perfect sphere, and something about how it was theorized that the "two north poles" are just the areas closest to the actual magnetic north pole. A show on Discovery talked briefly about it.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Randalor posted:

I thought part of the "2 Magnetic North Poles" thing was also due to the fact that the "North Magnetic Pole" isn't on the surface of the planet, and our planet isn't a perfect sphere, and something about how it was theorized that the "two north poles" are just the areas closest to the actual magnetic north pole. A show on Discovery talked briefly about it.

Artistic rendering of a magnetosphere:

Ignore the numbers, they relate to the Wikipedia article I borrowed this from. As I understand it, the two poles would be the points where the outermost blue lines touch the surface of the planet. If the planet was a perfect sphere, they'd touch in exactly the same place; since it's not, they don't.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ErichZahn posted:

That The 90's show had Cassie's best friend on, followed by the mother.

Cassie Bernall was a lesbian.

What show is this? That sounds a little heavy for the VH-1 pop culture show I'm thinking of.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jack Gladney posted:

What show is this? That sounds a little heavy for the VH-1 pop culture show I'm thinking of.

Wasn't that I Love the 90s?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Serious question: Aren't the poles "true" location beneath the surface of the earth because they're created by the iron core?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
Doomsday cult stuff is fascinating. Any good sources/media the thread can suggest on, well, any of it?

• Locked thread