Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I'm really more of a UC guy though, so does anyone have a suggestion for what I might want to look into for the next time I make one?

B&N has Wing, Unicorn, and BF stuff last time I checked. Any HGUCs they have lying around should be fine, but watch out for the BF stuff. Build mkII and Qubeley Papillion are super bad, Exia Dark Matter isn't too hot either, and the Build Strikes are kind of eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I'm really more of a UC guy though, so does anyone have a suggestion for what I might want to look into for the next time I make one?

I have no clue what B&N has, but if you're willing to go online, FA Unicorn Gundam is an impressive monster: http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2014/04/hguc-1144-rx-0-full-armor-unicorn_7944.html

Full Armor Gundam Thunderbolt Ver. is also awesome: http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2013/11/hguc-1144-full-armor-gundam-gundam.html

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

I have no clue what B&N has, but if you're willing to go online, FA Unicorn Gundam is an impressive monster: http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2014/04/hguc-1144-rx-0-full-armor-unicorn_7944.html

Full Armor Gundam Thunderbolt Ver. is also awesome: http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2013/11/hguc-1144-full-armor-gundam-gundam.html

B&N is pretty much all about Wing and Build Fighters, with a couple of SEED and HGUC kits sprinkled in. Sadly Bluefin couldn't resist shoving in a bunch of the old mid-90s 1/144 Wing kits in with the more recent MGs so there are some crappy kits to be had there. Check the dates on the side of the box.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zeether posted:

Apparently the Tsugumori pretty much needs a base and won't stand on its own so I'll have to get a base with it :v:

Actually it looks like the Animated version comes with one :v:. The second stand's for the barrel of the cannon.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Welp, sold on it now. They probably went "poo poo, this thing kind of needs the stand so maybe we should pack it with one"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Holy mother loving :flashfap:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

I am amazed that the model kit can actually tolerate the weight of that and not fall apart.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Late to the party but THEY TOOK OUT THE GOOFY LADY HIPS ON IT. That's just terrible!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I can't believe i've only just seen this now. It's amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbVPgkZRLo0

Bravo MC.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I love stopmotion stuff. :allears:

Also that was a really cool custom Nu HWS.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kitfox88 posted:

I love stopmotion stuff. :allears:

Also that was a really cool custom Nu HWS.

Actually it wasn't a custom. Model Comprehend made that HWS Nu Gundam(along with every other kit in that video).

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Oh, are they a resin kit company or such? I figured it was just a group of modelers or such. underskirt arms with sabers are the best

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kitfox88 posted:

Oh, are they a resin kit company or such? I figured it was just a group of modelers or such. underskirt arms with sabers are the best

MC takes resin kits and convert them into colored-plastic model kits. They are the ones currently working on the 1/144 Xi Gundam kit.

Edit: Haha, speaking of which, here's a comparison shot with HG F-91:

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 9, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

MC takes resin kits and convert them into colored-plastic model kits. They are the ones currently working on the 1/144 Xi Gundam kit.

Awwwww I want to have the Xi pick it up and carry it around like Freak the Mighty.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Oh, that's cool. I'll need to look into them once I have fun money again. :shobon:

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm thinking a Master Blaster conversion

WHO RUNS FEDDIETOWN

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
When people do battle damaged or worn paint jobs, how come they never show how scraped to hell the thighs would be from rubbing against the skirt armor?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

When people do battle damaged or worn paint jobs, how come they never show how scraped to hell the thighs would be from rubbing against the skirt armor?

It's meant to look cool not be realistic.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I always assumed the skirts are servo-actuated and aren't just banging against the legs all the time, but they don't really make a lot of sense mechanically as the kits portray them.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The only one that ever really made mechanical sense was the original gundam's because they didn't go over the thighs and were robo boyshorts

exia's too, by that token

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muike posted:

The only one that ever really made mechanical sense was the original gundam's because they didn't go over the thighs and were robo boyshorts

exia's too, by that token

The Strike and Freedom's worked as well, despite being longer, because they have maneuvering thrusters on the tips.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

How does the HGCC Turn A compare to the MG? I know the level of detail isn't there, but are they functionally similiar? Would the Turn A make for a good first MG?

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 10, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The HGCC is better articulated, sturdier (since it ditched the moving bits for swappable parts), and has a Moonlight Butterfly effect part that doesn't look like rear end. Both of them are actually about the same detail-wise, but naturally the HG has a lot more missing colors. Main flaws with the HG are that it doesn't have a cow or a Gundam hammer.

MG Turn A's a great kit, so you can start with it if you want, but it's a better build after you've done a couple of other MGs. Its engineering is weird.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

I didn't think it was possible but every shot of the MC Xi makes me want it more.

EDIT: If it sells well, I'd dearly love to see a Penelope from them.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

The HGCC is better articulated, sturdier (since it ditched the moving bits for swappable parts), and has a Moonlight Butterfly effect part that doesn't look like rear end. Both of them are actually about the same detail-wise, but naturally the HG has a lot more missing colors. Main flaws with the HG are that it doesn't have a cow or a Gundam hammer.

MG Turn A's a great kit, so you can start with it if you want, but it's a better build after you've done a couple of other MGs. Its engineering is weird.

Oh, then I might just pick up the HGCC, then, and pick up a 144 scale cow later.
Thank you very much!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
GundamGuy just dumped a bunch of reviews for today's releases, though sadly there isn't one up yet for the Valuable Pod;

Scuzrum Galluss

Zeta Plus A1

Real Grade Z'Gok

You know, now that they've made the RG Z'Gok's general frame type, there's only one place it can go next: RG Beargguy.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It occurred to me that we're getting three releases in the regular HG line for July. That's kind of unprecedented.

Dunno how long the good times can last but they've been pretty drat great so far.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

This year has just been weird in general release schedule wise.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Okay, Gunpla thread, it's been a little bit, and I've finally totally finished a kit; I topcoated it and everything. Naturally I promptly gave it away before I could photograph it in any kind of satisfactory manner :downs: but here's the best one I can get from the desk it is currently sitting on:

SD Gundam Deathscythe

I wasn't happy with how the topcoat wound up on the scythe; it scratched some when I was sliding it back into the hand. In the future I suppose I'll have simple or SD kits like this hold their weapon while I'm painting them, unless anyone has a better idea. Otherwise, it wound up great.

Super extra thanks to whoever recommended I use a nail buffer to help with sanding marks, by the way. Christ it helped a lot.

Anyway, my girlfriend was very happy with it--despite some of the iffy work--that she dug out some of her own gunpla from something over a decade ago and asked me to touch them up, which I'm happy to do. They mostly just need dusting, sanding, buffing, and topcoating.

There are a couple problems, though; firstly, four of the six of them are kits that I don't recognize and can't find on Dalong, which is generally where I pull up pictures to double-check where to panel line. They're apparently from SD Gundam itself, I guess?

Second off, one in particular is threatening to bust my rear end with clear parts. As such, I'm looking for painting advice in general, including matte and clear topcoat recommendations. For the matte coat on the Deathscythe, I used was Mr. Hobby Gundam Flat Topcoat. I'm assuming I'll need a gloss coat or something for clear parts? Or is that a terrible idea? I'm pretty much limited to spray cans at present, sadly.

Anyway, because I'm only out of my depth in a couple areas, I'm fairly confident I can make these look quite a bit better, but nonetheless, I'm hoping for any information or advice. Also there are more pictures.

I'd like to preface all the pictures with an apology for the hugeness, terrible phone quality, lighting, and background clutter; I'm not at my own house right now, so I don't really have much in the way of a workstation or my actual camera. Anyway:

SD Gundam Double X?

I think all the parts are there, although it seems like the rifle goes in the other hand; I just can't dislodge what I think is some kind of shield piece that the left hand is currently holding. Said shield might go on the shoulder of the next kit?

SD Gundam Mk. IV, I think, maybe?

I think all parts are present and accounted for, here, save the aforementioned tiny shield thing.

All of the following are totally unknown to me:

Does that helmet really belong on this kit? It's a fairly loose fit; it slides halfway off the Gundam's head before catching if you lift it up by the helmet.

This guy looks pretty complete. I don't know if he's missing any weapons or not.

Hello there, Mr. Clear Parts! :negative: I'm pretty sure everything's there, at least.

This guy is suffering from a missing shoulder and a broken sword. I've got the sword's blade and can glue it back into place, but he'll probably sit until the other shoulder pops up; poor thing can't even balance on both feet right now.

Not pictured is a HG 1/100 Gundam Deathscythe (I think?) that's missing its scythe and shield and thus will also probably sit for awhile.

Lastly, I have some spare, loose pieces:

I feel like they both might go to the aforementioned Deathscythe, but the silver bit could either be part of the scythe or a broken rifle. I'm not sure.

So in closing, I'm looking for: painting advice and topcoat recommendations, what kits I'm working with, what to do for topcoating clear parts specifically, and any general advice on how to treat older, previously assembled models.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
The first two unknowns look like Heavyarms and either God or Shining (I think God, but I can't remember which one has those shoulders) variants.

EDIT: I can't for the life of me find any information on what exact models those are. There are too many drat SD variants.

DOUBLE EDIT: You were right, that helmet doesn't belong to the Heavyarms. Looks like it comes from a Musha ZZ, the body of which looks nothing like that kit.

Son Ryo fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 11, 2014

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Son Ryo posted:

The first two unknowns look like Heavyarms and either God or Shining (I think God, but I can't remember which one has those shoulders) variants.

EDIT: I can't for the life of me find any information on what exact models those are. There are too many drat SD variants.

DOUBLE EDIT: You were right, that helmet doesn't belong to the Heavyarms. Looks like it comes from a Musha ZZ, the body of which looks nothing like that kit.

I hadn't really considered the possibility of a hell of a lot of variants existing. This could take awhile.

I'm almost wondering whether I'm dealing with bootlegs of some kind. Unfortunately I don't have ready access to the boxes, but the story is that they're gifts from a friend who visited Japan.

Some kitbashing may have also happened years ago, too. I'm really unsure at this point.

Further consideration may reveal that the wisest thing to do is to not question what I'm working with, here. :shobon:

e: I am bad at punctuation.

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 11, 2014

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Zwingley posted:

SD Gundam Deathscythe

I wasn't happy with how the topcoat wound up on the scythe; it scratched some when I was sliding it back into the hand. In the future I suppose I'll have simple or SD kits like this hold their weapon while I'm painting them, unless anyone has a better idea. Otherwise, it wound up great.

How long did you let the top coat cure before you slid it in? Do you think you might of layed the topcoat on too thick?

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Blackchamber posted:

How long did you let the top coat cure before you slid it in? Do you think you might of layed the topcoat on too thick?

Cured for approximately an hour, I think; my guess might be off a little due to not having enough alligator clips and having to rotate which pieces I was letting dry.

Having put on too thick a layer is completely possible and probably exactly what happened; it was my first attempt at any kind of painting. Lesson learned, I suppose, especially when it comes to potentially tight fits that will also be visible.

E: Here's a couple shots of the suspect Heavyarms minus helmet

No slot for a V-fin. Also just noticed he's missing some clear plating on one shoulder. Bah.

The dealy on its head slides in and out, and the helmet slots in around it, and is therefore secured from what is falling off. I don't really know what the hell at this point.

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 11, 2014

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Zwingley posted:

E: Here's a couple shots of the suspect Heavyarms minus helmet

No slot for a V-fin. Also just noticed he's missing some clear plating on one shoulder. Bah.

The dealy on its head slides in and out, and the helmet slots in around it, and is therefore secured from what is falling off. I don't really know what the hell at this point.

It's apparently "Guren Gundam Kirahagane Gokusai Version". That's the right helmet.

http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Kirahagane-Gokusai-Version/dp/B003Y2WDD8

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Wow, they literally just re-used the helmet from the ZZ. That's fantastically lazy, even for Bandai.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Christ those kits are ugly. Do your girlfriend a real favor and buy her some good Gundam models. :v:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Ok, the weird one with the clear parts is Musha Gundam Mk-IV. http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10012058 He's unpainted, and the model is apparently molded in light blue when he's supposed to be white. No idea why.

Still not able to place the other two; also, the top one is very obviously Double X.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Kurui Reiten posted:

Two for two on identifications.

drat, you've been right on both of these; thanks a whole lot. I did figure out the Double X and the Mark-IV as the first two. (Dalong had reviews of them up, you see. :v:)

TaurusOxford posted:

Christ those kits are ugly. Do your girlfriend a real favor and buy her some good Gundam models. :v:

I'm working on it, believe me. The SD Deathscythe was a pretty decent start. I just hafta figure out what to do next. Maybe just round out an SD Wing collection or something. It's gonna either be that or get into painting my own colors on kits.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

TaurusOxford posted:

Man that Full Armor Unicorn is cool, thanks.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Zwingley posted:

Lastly, I have some spare, loose pieces:

I feel like they both might go to the aforementioned Deathscythe, but the silver bit could either be part of the scythe or a broken rifle. I'm not sure.

This is the "stowed" version of the scythe and slots onto the rear skirt IIRC. The green bit is an effects piece that plugs into the shoulder and is missing its mate.

The old Deathscythe is a pretty decent kit though, you should get some aftermarket weapons and kitbash that sucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Zwingley posted:

Cured for approximately an hour, I think; my guess might be off a little due to not having enough alligator clips and having to rotate which pieces I was letting dry.

Well I'm pretty sure that wasn't fully cured either, just dry. You might want to try letting it sit a night out.

• Locked thread