Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Hedrigall posted:

All of them. Google image search "Paul Kidby discworld"

edit: Also check here: http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=paul%20kidby

I googled "Discworld character designs" and got nothing but fan fiction but that page is great. I'm also scared because it might ruin some of my own ideas for what characters look like.

Lets see..

Lord Vetinari. Perfect.

Oh and check this one out

I already know who is who just from the expressions on their faces.

Perfect!

I just really love Samuel Vimes. He's like character straight out of the Sven Hassel series but in a fantasy setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I just finished Monstrous Regiment. I loved it, but I think the title itself is the ur-example of Pratchett jokes that work even if you don't know the reference, and doubly so if you do. I had no idea about the historical pamphlet, and I just thought "heh, it's because there's a vampire and a troll in there", which was even explained in the book itself. Then I find out about it and go "ohhh!"

It would have actually helped if I'd known beforehand because it would have revealed the 'twist' to me ahead of time; I went from 'oh that's funny, there's more crossdressers in the group', to rolling my eyes at absolutely everyone in the military actually being women, to realizing it was actually fine and a point well made.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I was a bit less surprised since I'd already read The Man Who Was Thursday and knew Pratchett was a big Chesterton fan.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Who is that behind Vimes and Fred - is it Reg Shoe?

And over Carrot's right shoulder - Constable Visit?

Oooh, just noticed Buggy Swires! :)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Clarence posted:

Who is that behind Vimes and Fred - is it Reg Shoe?

Oooh, just noticed Buggy Swires! :)

That's definitely Reg - he's got stitches 'round his neck but isn't hunched over like an Igor.

And yeah, by process of elimination, the last dude is probably Visit.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

toasterwarrior posted:

That's definitely Reg - he's got stitches 'round his neck but isn't hunched over like an Igor.

Not to mention that he's got a half-dozen arrow holes in his armour because I guess narrativitum means that zombies attract all the 'the guards get killed off in chapter 3/minute 10 of the movie' that the Guards series has been subverting this whole time?

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

Clarence posted:

Notice the turtle around his neck.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

toasterwarrior posted:

Visit-the-Infidel-with-explanatory-pamphlets, he typed reproachfully.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Pidmon posted:

Not to mention that he's got a half-dozen arrow holes in his armour because I guess narrativitum means that zombies attract all the 'the guards get killed off in chapter 3/minute 10 of the movie' that the Guards series has been subverting this whole time?

Reg Shoe has all the arrow holes in his breastplate because he was shot a dozen times in Night Watch and managed to fight on to the end of the battle where he died, reanimating later. Presumably he still wears the same breastplate because it's Watch uniform but he doesn't really need to repair it, being a zombie and all.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

shalcar posted:

Reg Shoe has all the arrow holes in his breastplate because he was shot a dozen times in Night Watch and managed to fight on to the end of the battle where he died, reanimating later. Presumably he still wears the same breastplate because it's Watch uniform but he doesn't really need to repair it, being a zombie and all.

Re: Armour holes You mean when he was pretty clearly an expy for one of the poor bastard civilians from Les Miserables and most decidedly not wearing armour? Because in all the chaos after Carcer instigated the attack on the wall (where he was just a flag-waving idiot) I don't remember anyone handing him a breastplate.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Pidmon posted:

Holy spoilertastic I have to step out of this thread until I finish the remaining 20 books in this series.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't think there's any spoilers in there.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

MikeJF posted:

I don't think there's any spoilers in there.

How would I know? I haven't finished the books yet. Could be spoilers. Maybe it spoils something that turns out to not be a spoiler after all. That still undermines the experience.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zephyrine posted:

How would I know? I haven't finished the books yet. Could be spoilers. Maybe it spoils something that turns out to not be a spoiler after all. That still undermines the experience.
Have you finished Jingo?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Vimes kills Vetinari.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Nihilarian posted:

Have you finished Jingo?

I'm at the later parts of "Feet of Clay" which is now my favourite book so far. In fact I like it so much that I'm buying a copy for a friend.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

withak posted:

Vimes kills Vetinari.
Page 616. Totally true.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Xander77 posted:

Page 616. Totally true.

To pursue this trolling is dumb because this is an actual side-plot in book 19 so to confirm that he does or doesn't are both spoilers.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
:psyduck: If you're THAT concerned about even the most minor and inconsequential of spoilers, why are you even reading the thread?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:psyduck: If you're THAT concerned about even the most minor and inconsequential of spoilers, why are you even reading the thread?

Because no one I know reads or have even heard about these books and I love them (the books) so it's nice to have some people to discuss them with.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Spoilers aren't against forum rules unless it's in a book that's been out less than six months. Feet of Clay was published like a decade ago.

Really, if you don't want spoilers for the middle of a series, don't read a thread until you've finished. I mean, hell, you've got the book right there, it's not like you're out of things to read!

Also, any time a goon posts a spoiler, remember that the odds they're trolling you are so high that you can't really know either way whether it's true or not.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Spoilers aren't against forum rules unless it's in a book that's been out less than six months. Feet of Clay was published like a decade ago.

Really, if you don't want spoilers for the middle of a series, don't read a thread until you've finished. I mean, hell, you've got the book right there, it's not like you're out of things to read!

Also, any time a goon posts a spoiler, remember that the odds they're trolling you are so high that you can't really know either way whether it's true or not.

I suppose you're right.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So, I've recently read through The Long Mars and I'm curious to see if anyone else has bothered to read it?
Overall I thought it was kind of boring tbh, but I also had a big problem identifying any bits or ideas that Terry may have written or come up with. I honestly thought he had nothing to do with this book until I read chapter 21.

I haven't read any Stephen Baxter books but it seems to me that most of this was written by him. Maybe I'm just bad at noticing Terry's stuff?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Zephyrine posted:

Holy spoilertastic I have to step out of this thread until I finish the remaining 20 books in this series.

The narattivium thing was all me, and the 'RIP guards killed 10 minutes into the movie' was the dedication in Guards! Guards! which you should've read by now if you're at Feet of Clay.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Is the next book going to be a Tiffany Aching one? (Assuming it ever gets finished :smith:)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Clarence posted:

Is the next book going to be a Tiffany Aching one? (Assuming it ever gets finished :smith:)

Pretty sure Tiffany Aching's story is finished.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Pretty sure someone is wrong!

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Found it - it was mentioned in the article about him having to cancel a convention appearance.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jul/02/terry-pratchett-cancel-appearance-alzheimers-discworld

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

stevey666 posted:

Pretty sure someone is wrong!

And that someone is me :downs:

Strange, last thing I remember about I Shall Wear Midnight was that it was supposed to be the final Tiffany Aching book. The Lancre witches are way funnier than the Chalk witches, but if it means more Feegles...well, sure.

davestones
May 7, 2009

EvilTaytoMan posted:

So, I've recently read through The Long Mars and I'm curious to see if anyone else has bothered to read it?
Overall I thought it was kind of boring tbh, but I also had a big problem identifying any bits or ideas that Terry may have written or come up with. I honestly thought he had nothing to do with this book until I read chapter 21.

I haven't read any Stephen Baxter books but it seems to me that most of this was written by him. Maybe I'm just bad at noticing Terry's stuff?

I just finished it last week. Not as good as the long earth but better than the long war. I think if it was fleshed out a bit more then it could be a really good idea, as it stands just exploring lots of worlds full of whimsy and crab people over and over just seemed like padding out to me.

I still enjoyed it though as it was something a bit different. It's less pithy and science heavy than what Baxter normally writes too which is a bonus. I think Lobsang is entirely Terry's creation, the idea of a reincarnated mechanic essentially running the planet seems like something he would come up with.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I finished Going Postal and wasn't super impressed. It was fun and I liked Moist and the opening was great, but I never got too invested in the drama of the post office. Quite similar to The Truth, really. I probably enjoyed the references to our bros in the Watch more than anything.

I've adjusted to Stephen Briggs' narration but I do find myself wondering how Nigel Planer would have voiced nasal Vimes and Nor'n Irish Colon in certain situations.

Anyway, made a start on Thud! and it's nice to be back in the brain of Vimes and with that wacky crew. (Although it has already reminded me how much I did like Otto the vampire in The Truth.) I feel like I can get back to posting quotes I really liked too!

quote:

Fred grunted his disdain for a mere fact of geography. 'War, Nobby. Huh! What is it good for?' he said.
'Dunno, sarge. Freeing slaves, maybe?'
'Absol- Well, okay.'
'Defending yourself from a totalitarian aggressor?'
'All right, I'll grant you that, but-'
'Saving civilization against a horde of-'
'It doesn't do any good in the long run is what I'm saying, Nobby, if you'd listen for five seconds together,' said Fred Colon sharply.
'Yeah, but in the long run what does, sarge?'

quote:

Vimes had never got on with any game much more complex than darts. Chess in particular had always annoyed him. It was the dumb way the pawns went off and slaughtered their fellow pawns while the kings lounged about doing nothing that always got to him; if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks round, the whole board could've been a republic in a dozen moves.
:allears:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
If you want a real treat, a few of the BBC radio plays are currently Google-able. I reccomend Guards! Guards! for a swell starting point.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
I am reading my first Terry P book. Going Postal. As someone who is a slow reader, I am 60% done and I started last Monday.
I am really enjoying the series. I am debating if I want to continue with Moist von Lipwig story line OR start Same Vimes or Death.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

DrNewton posted:

I am reading my first Terry P book. Going Postal. As someone who is a slow reader, I am 60% done and I started last Monday.
I am really enjoying the series. I am debating if I want to continue with Moist von Lipwig story line OR start Same Vimes or Death.
I'd recommend Vimes.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

DrNewton posted:

Death.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Seconding this. I finished Hogfather a few days ago and that was one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Working my way through Jingo. Another "Night Watch" story. Woohoo. I can't get enough of the watch.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zephyrine posted:

Working my way through Jingo. Another "Night Watch" story. Woohoo. I can't get enough of the watch.
If this is sarcasm, you're not going to like the last quarter of the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

If this is sarcasm, you're not going to like the last quarter of the books.

The Night Watch is my single favourite side story of the entire series.

Honestly I thought the Discworld series was only 20 books long when I started reading and I had fully come to terms with the watch story ending after "Men at Arms"

Anything now is just a bonus.