Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

sector_corrector posted:

I had to go to a guide to figure out what to do after the Dragon Aerie... did I totally miss the game guiding you to the next thing?

Nashandra tells you but everything after the king ring is dumb anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

turtlecrunch posted:

Yeah, I definitely feel like the latter half of the game isn't anywhere near as strong as the first half.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

turtlecrunch posted:

Yeah this is my big issue with the latter part of the game. The Emerald Herald stops giving you plot advice after you leave for Drangleic Castle. The expect you to start talking to Nashandra, but the prompt to talk to her doesn't even appear unless you rub your junk all over the far railing so a lot of players miss it. Even then, they wouldn't think to go back to her because she's at the tail end of an area instead of a hub. If you DO go to her she's got all kinds of poo poo to say but nobody would ever logically think to do that because the Emerald Herald is still the person they go to to level up and stuff.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't you have to fight poo poo to get from the bonfire to Nashandra?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Took me a goddamn age and a half to find how I get to the castle. That little path up to the shrine was hidden in a blurry textured mass of grass, tucked off to the corner of a path that only had a giant enemy in. I felt like such an idiot when I finally realised where I had to go.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I used a UGS and then switched to the Sacred Chime Hammer, and I've never had issues with durability except when I use the hammer's special attack (which seems to be complete garbage?).

On an unrelated note: Has anyone noticed how little sense some spell names make? Soul Bolt is a giant laser beam, Soul Spear Barrage shoots a bunch of completely unspearlike energy balls while Soul Geyser shoots what looks like a barrage of spears, Soul Vortex launches a giant laser-shooting disco ball...

e:

sector_corrector posted:

You do, but the only enemies are two or three crossbowmen. Unless you missed the illusory wall and have to trek all the way from the other bonfire.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 11, 2014

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Unable to check now, but does the Dragon Form give a bonus to fist damage like it did in the original Dark Souls?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
So whats been happening lately besides the worlds largest set of patch notes. I haven't played the game since early april. Is the DLC almost out?

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

No, actually. You can backtrack from Central Drangleic through the Double Dragon room, it's a short jaunt. Like RPATDO said, there are very few enemies from the third bonfire if you choose to go there instead.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's sort of silly, since I had absolutely no idea that I had to go back to Nashandra. I mean, that's never really signposted in the game, right?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

sector_corrector posted:

It's sort of silly, since I had absolutely no idea that I had to go back to Nashandra. I mean, that's never really signposted in the game, right?

Not really. It makes more plot sense though; if you don't talk to Nashandra at least a few times over the post-Drangleic Castle game she kinda comes outta nowhere at the end. The more you stick around with her, the easier it is to see through her ruse.

Basically, points where you should go talk to Nashandra if you're stuck are: Before the double dragonriders bossfight, AFTER the bossfight, after "visiting" Vendrick and receiving the ring, after putting sad puppy Vendrick down, and after receiving the ashen mist heart.

But again, nobody would ever think to do that because the game pretty much signposts in huge neon letters that she's evil from the very first conversation.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

This is honestly my biggest gripe with DS2 PvP, if you wanted to be a flippy ninja in DS1 PvP it would take you one of your two ring slots and also force you to wear either fairly light armour or pump all your stats into endurance so you can be a ninja Havel. Now everyone can be a ninja Havel!

The best dodge roll you can get in DkS2 is equivalent to the roll in DkS1, which anyone could get in Havel's set if they wanted. Nobody can ninja flip in DkS2, which is a serious upgrade in my book.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Glad they're buffing Iron Flesh since my current character (named iron born) uses it :pcgaming:

A lot of people see an iron dude plodding towards them and they typically get confused and well within my jump attack range. Then I flatten them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CJacobs posted:

Yeah this is my big issue with the latter part of the game. The Emerald Herald stops giving you plot advice after you leave for Drangleic Castle. The expect you to start talking to Nashandra, but the prompt to talk to her doesn't even appear unless you rub your junk all over the far railing so a lot of players miss it. Even then, they wouldn't think to go back to her because she's at the tail end of an area instead of a hub. If you DO go to her she's got all kinds of poo poo to say but nobody would ever logically think to do that because the Emerald Herald is still the person they go to to level up and stuff.

In my last run the Emerald Herald didn't even show up near the Throne of Want for that last conversation. I wonder how many people don't even get told to kill Nashandra.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

The best dodge roll you can get in DkS2 is equivalent to the roll in DkS1, which anyone could get in Havel's set if they wanted. Nobody can ninja flip in DkS2, which is a serious upgrade in my book.

Not quite true. 105 Agi gives you 13 iframes, equal to Dks fast roll. 115 gives you 15, equivalent to ninja flip. 120 gives you 16. Still not as bad as ninja flip since it doesn't have the absurdly good animation, but pretty close.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

How much ADT/ATT would you need to get 115 agility?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

How much ADT/ATT would you need to get 115 agility?

50ish on both

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow... these giant memories are loving terrible. Who thought timered levels were a good idea?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's a timer in the giant memories?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

sector_corrector posted:

Wow... these giant memories are loving terrible. Who thought timered levels were a good idea?

The only one you actually need to do takes 2 minutes assuming you aren't loving horrible like me and can actually beat the Giant Lord rather than die repeatedly. You only have to fight one dude.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, but you'll only really hit it talking to Drummond or trying to kill all the giants (don't do that).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I ran out of time in the memory with the Grand Lance three times just trying to get to it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I somehow missed Drummond and timed out twice in the memory of Vammar looking for him. I just wanted to learn his gesture so I could get that achievement!

Also I killed all the giants every time I ran through. Drop a chaos storm while they're fighting the soldiers and you'll usually kill all but one, and then I'd snipe the pyromancers off with resonant soul.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

HellCopter posted:

Unable to check now, but does the Dragon Form give a bonus to fist damage like it did in the original Dark Souls?

I started punching some dudes naked and then in dragon form and no change in damage. That's too bad cause I remember really enjoying that in the DS1.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
So, on my level 50ish sorceror with 185k SM, I just got invaded by a bellbro who was taking half damage from my puny little soul arrows while spamming sunlight spear, crystal soul spear, and wrath of the gods.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

So, on my level 50ish sorceror with 185k SM, I just got invaded by a bellbro who was taking half damage from my puny little soul arrows while spamming sunlight spear, crystal soul spear, and wrath of the gods.

Sounds like someone who leveled up really high and editted his soul memory back down to newb levels with cheat engine in order to stomp low levels with his high stats. Isn't it great?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

teh_Broseph posted:

This should be in the OP if it's not: stop swinging after things are dead. It's especially easy with giant weapons since their damage is big slow bursts. Be really careful about if you're going to kill something with an attack, don't swing again, and if there are other enemies back up and reposition. After doing this I almost never had a problem with durability. Still keep a second weapon on hand in case. Dropping a small soapstone periodically is also a neat way to pop in another game, kill a few mobs, and get back to yours with a refreshed weapon.

This is good advice in general, and the OP does tell you to be careful with your weapons. My problem, is that, well. I only need to swing ONCE for a bunch of things with Great Hammer/Axe weapons, and how exactly do you get more careful than only swinging once per enemy (Or less, if more than one wander into range)? It still murders the poo poo out of my Great weapons in ways my less huge weapons never are even when I'm carelessly smashing them into walls or taking extra swings through the already dead enemies without giving a gently caress.

I literally never have durability issues unless I am using a Great/Ultra (it SEEMS less of a thing with Ultra Greatswords? But I have less, and try to use them less) type. I cleared out the entire Earthen keep with my +0 Craftsman hammer (no bracing ring) including going back to smash the seven of those Undead Hammer Dudes before the Covetous Demon room (I thought they would drop their hammer :downs:), no bracing ring, plenty of :histdowns: smashing it into walls and extra swings through people I already killed and it did not break or hit warning status, if it did get pretty worn out.

Large Club, from the bonfire through six skeleton filled shortcut to the skeleton lords it breaks right before I finish (explodes finishing off the Wizard skeleton, so I got bonewheels spawning while I'm fumbling around with a spear... uh oh). Somebody told me "Well there are a lot of corpses there so duh you'll have durability problems", but again, literally never a problem with any other weapon types. I went back to my +0 Craftsman hammer, and instead of it breaking before the end I had 56/80 durability left, compared to BROKEN/70 like the Large club. Now I've dusted off the large club again to deal with spiders and oh look, I'm already down by about 1/4 my durability just from the first room of little spiders.

My pulled out of my rear end theory is since the great weapons are smashing the ground in a downward arc constantly, their downward swing is counting that whole time as loving around with a corpse because it killed them on the initial contact, and the rest of the animation is just dragging it through the body before it smashes the ground (and corpse) for good measure.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

See ya in hell Nashandra. Now all that's left is to kill beef jerky Vendrick and the Ancient Dragon, and then I think I'm going to wrap it up till the DLC. I've been playing some form of Dark Souls regularly for the past 2 months or so, and it was starting to feel like a slog towards the end of this one.

Overall a great game though. I'll take some complaints about level design and SM for the fact that the combat experience is so much smoother.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

You have like five minutes, if you're just going for the giant soul and don't a poo poo about the rest you'll never hit it. It does make getting everything in one try pretty tough, though.

TurboPriest
Aug 30, 2012

axelsoar posted:

I get the frustration, but how else are people supposed to close in on casters if they can't roll through/around spells?

A buff to shields so they are all not completely useless.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TurboPriest posted:

A buff to shields so they are all not completely useless.

Uh shields are already pretty good. Too good in the case of some greatshields.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It does seem like this game tries to goad you into getting better at dodge-rolling than DS1 did. I mean, none of the classes even start with a shield unless you've got the pre-order stuff. Shields in this game are definitely worse than in DS1 to boot (non-greatshields at least) but I personally think that's a good thing.

edit: vvv It's also the reason whips degrade so fast; a single whip swing hits at least 3 times on both enemies and the ground. If you're in a tight hallway you may as well kiss the whip goodbye. :suicide:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It does seem like this game tries to goad you into getting better at dodge-rolling than DS1 did. I mean, none of the classes even start with a shield unless you've got the pre-order stuff. Shields in this game are definitely worse than in DS1 to boot (non-greatshields at least) but I personally think that's a good thing.

One class starts with a shield but it is pretty bad.

Section Z posted:

My pulled out of my rear end theory is since the great weapons are smashing the ground in a downward arc constantly, their downward swing is counting that whole time as loving around with a corpse because it killed them on the initial contact, and the rest of the animation is just dragging it through the body before it smashes the ground (and corpse) for good measure.

This is exactly what happens. My first playthrough I couldn't figure out why sometimes I'd look at my halberd durability and after killing one enemy it would go down by 1, and after a second enemy it would drop by 14. I watched what kinds of swings would make that happen and sure enough it's the slower animations that tend to leave the weapon model inside the enemy's body for awhile that make it happen.

Of course not swinging when enemies are already dead makes a big difference, but it still hurts bigger weapons a lot harder than others because they tend to swing slower and cover a larger area so you're more likely to hit dead bodies while swinging at other people nearby. I have no idea why they chose to do this because I've never seen it subtract durability more than 1 time from a hit that kills an enemy even if the weapon stays in contact for awhile, whereas every single frame it touches a dead body hurts its durability. If you watch the durability bar when you use a lance thrust to kill an enemy and then don't move, the weapon model stays in contact with them for a good second but durability doesn't drop more than by 1. Poke at the body one time though and suddenly you lose a fifth of the durability.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wow, the shade duty requirements in No-Man's Wharf are super depressingly low. I joined the world of a dude who looked pretty noob-y and after killing like 5 enemies the game was like NOPE YOU'RE DONE HERE BACK TO YOUR OWN WORLD.

Big soapstone sign it is, then :smith:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Genocyber posted:

Uh shields are already pretty good. Too good in the case of some greatshields.

Such as?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Any greatshield with 100 phys block is really good for PVE, and any with close to 100 phys block and good elemental blocks is really good for PVP. You can turtle all day and completely negate guardbreaks by strafing back. Weapons with shield piercing don't do much since they don't pierce enough.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Genocyber posted:

Any greatshield with 100 phys block is really good for PVE, and any with close to 100 phys block and good elemental blocks is really good for PVP. You can turtle all day and completely negate guardbreaks by strafing back. Weapons with shield piercing don't do much since they don't pierce enough.

I felt more like I NEEDED a tower shield even with 20 endurance as an upgrade from the Drangelic shield, because even with a tower shield enemies would run you the risk of guard crushing, or take off all of all my stamina in a pair of quick attacks.

Fat dude with scythes? 99% of my stamina bar with a pair of quick horizintal swings. Two skeletons while waiting for the chariot to go by? Risk of guard crush. Royal soldiers taking chunks of stamina with their swords, Etc. Forget about it if the mutant lobster people in sinner's rise started doing their double spin, but at least being staggered blocking that was better than being instantly killed from full health. I've fought bosses who dish out less stamina damage from blocks than the enemies just wandering around.

Now I'm farther in the game and it's like somebody flipped a switch. Alonne Knights, Lion warriors, Mastadon warriors, and Grym Warriors wielding anvils on sticks? Suddenly my stamina bar barely moves when blocking. Though rats can just toxic you pretty fast even while blocking and wearing poisonbite ring, you can be pretty confident without the cursebite ring with the lion guys, if they had ever managed to kill me there is no way in hell my curse bar would have filled up first. It's just the pots that are the risk of curse in that area.

Because obviously the early game enemies should hit your stamina harder blocking them than enemies and bosses later in the game :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 11, 2014

Cainer
May 8, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Wow, the shade duty requirements in No-Man's Wharf are super depressingly low. I joined the world of a dude who looked pretty noob-y and after killing like 5 enemies the game was like NOPE YOU'RE DONE HERE BACK TO YOUR OWN WORLD.

Big soapstone sign it is, then :smith:

Ya I find using the small soap stone to be about killing bosses while the big one is for the area itself.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cainer posted:

Ya I find using the small soap stone to be about killing bosses while the big one is for the area itself.

Nah, small is for the area so you only have to kill a couple of enemies to restore your humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Genocyber posted:

No you didn't. You could very easily get both ninja flip and hit one of the poise breakpoints. http://mmdks.com/39nl Aka the most common build after the DLC patch.

I see a build that doesn't use some of the heavier armor, just as he said, and also gives up on a ring slot, just as he said. This build reinforces his point by illustrating it rather nicely. I'm not sure you understand what a counterpoint is.