Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

peter banana posted:

Could we conceivably have 100% mortgages before that happens? It seemed unlikely a few years ago, but I'm kind of thinking anything's possible now.

Oh lawd I hope so, I really truly hope so. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

peter banana posted:

Could we conceivably have 100% mortgages before that happens? It seemed unlikely a few years ago, but I'm kind of thinking anything's possible now.

Wasn't some guy saying you already had 97.5% mortgages with 5% cashback or something?

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

peter banana posted:

We did and do, when you account for cash-back mortgages. The bank will lend you your downpayment. It's common.

Wasting fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 11, 2014

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LemonDrizzle posted:

Wasn't some guy saying you already had 97.5% mortgages with 5% cashback or something?

Yep, my local credit union offers one. 5% is really too high of a burden now that $500K is a starter condo.

https://www.vancity.com/lang/fr/SharedContent/documents/MortgageHelper/down_payment_fact_sheet_2014.pdf

Presumably they can skirt the rules due to being provincially regulated.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Purely curious: what sort of down payment do you need to give to get a rate and terms equivalent to someone covered by CMHC (and thus not a risk to the bank)?

I've heard that walking in with 21% makes the bank, rationally, way less keen to deal with you than if you rock up with 5%. But presumably at a certain point north of 21%, their concerns are assuaged.

Curious what that actual threshold is.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
So a comedy thread in GBS got detailed into real estate and I wanted to share this particular example of homeowner thinking:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Actually, if you rent a home you're going to get a nasty surprise when you go to retire and there's no equity for you to cash out on.

It's really weird to see some millennials slowly mentally adjust to their new economic role of being a flightless nomad who is kicked from location to location on the whims of a corporation, like an Irish railroad worker in the 19th century. So much the better for the capital class, I guess. :(

Let me make something clear: you young folks should be REALLY loving pissed that you can't own a home.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://businessincanada.com/2014/07/11/canada-jobs-crisis-poor-employment-growth/

quote:

After June’s Labour Force Survey showed Canada lost 9,400 jobs, it’s not hyperbolic to say that the nation is in the midst of a jobs crisis.

It doesn’t pay to read too much into any one reading – Canadian employment figures are notoriously volatile – but June’s results serve to reinforce the abysmal trend in job growth since early 2013.

The nation last posted back-to-back months of job growth in October and November of 2013, making this the longest stretch without consecutive months of employment gains since the Great Recession.

According to Statistics Canada, the nation’s unemployment rate, adjusted for U.S. concepts, is now equal to the American unemployment rate of 6.1 percent. This is symbolic of what is blindingly apparent: the two countries’ labour markets have been diverging for quite some time.

RELATED: The Canadian And American Labour Markets Are Going In Opposite Directions

The headline figures of June’s report were indisputably poor – unemployment up, jobs down. However, some economists and pundits pointed to the net addition of 33,500 full-time jobs as a sign that perhaps things weren’t as bad as they seemed.

But a closer look reveals that the headline numbers adequately reflect the softness of the report as a whole. Both private and public employment declined (by 21,000 and 11,900, respectively), which was partially offset by an addition of 23,400 self-employed positions. Trading off youth job losses and a general drop-off in part-time jobs for full-time self-employment amongst an older swath of the adult population – the basic narrative for June – isn’t much to celebrate. And as The Wall Street Journal’s Paul Vieira brought to our attention, hours worked fell 0.4 percent month-over-month despite these full-time employment gains.

Things aren’t so bad all across Canada – just in the vast majority of provinces.

Bank of Montreal chief economist Douglas Porter noted that employment continued to surge in Alberta, with a pick-up in construction jobs in line with the spike in housing starts seen in June. As such, the words of his colleague, senior economist Robert Kavic, have been proved true. In a special report on the Albertan economy, Kavcic concluded, “[B]usiness and policymakers will have to remain mindful that the province is effectively now on an island with respect to economic growth and potential inflation compared to the rest of the country.” Ex-Alberta, Canada has lost 9,500 jobs since June 2013.

Though some might be tempted to blame austerity for the lackluster trend in job growth, it isn’t that simple. On a monthly basis, there has been an average of 1,150 net public sector job losses per month. If we exclude the public sector’s drag on total employment, it still does little to move the overall needle in terms of the trend in job growth. Subpar private sector employment gains are the much larger reason why the growth of the working-age population continues to outstrip job growth.

This gap between population and job growth is now sitting at its widest point since the financial crisis. Not only does the 12-month moving average for the growth of the working-age population exceed that of net monthly employment gains, but as of May, the growth of the core working-age population – Canadians between the ages of 25 and 54 – is also higher than job growth:

quote:

As you can see, the last time this happened was during the Great Recession. Prior to that, the last two-month period in which the 12-month moving average for job growth fell below that of the growth in the core working-age population was November and December of 2001.

More than ever, Canada needs the economy of our southern neighbours to pick up steam – and fast – so we can benefit from rising demand from our largest trading partner before our jobs picture gets even uglier.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

FrozenVent posted:

So a comedy thread in GBS got detailed into real estate and I wanted to share this particular example of homeowner thinking:

Hahaha link pls

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

FrozenVent posted:

This is basically literally what my low-info "leftist" friends rant on about and how the solution is that our generation needs to demand lower interest rates and more help from government to encourage ownership because EQUITY BUILDING.

Buying a house is literally the only investment on the planet and is the only way to plan for retirement. It's absolutely a generation/cultural thing. Most of us have had parents who saw ridiculous increases in their home value, and at the time were idiot baby boomers who were house-rich but otherwise poor so had no real investments. That's at least my situation. My parents never saved, never investment, were always always in some form of debt, but their house went up about 700k since they bought it. It's their everything, it's their entire retirement. There's a lot of boomers in that boat. Why the gently caress invest in some stupid rrsp or retirement investment that's only doing a few percent a year and sometimes even goes down, while housing goes up faster and ALWAYS goes up and will go up forever. We're living in a post-financial age, it's all about land and houses now and forever.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 11, 2014

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Cultural Imperial posted:

Hahaha link pls

Click the little name in the quote block.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Post crash make sure you don't pick up a cheap foreclosure that has been ravaged by fire ants.

quote:

Efforts to assess the full extent of B.C.’s European fire ant infestations are being frustrated by homeowners who refuse access to workers sent to confirm their presence.

Many of the homeowners fear that a confirmed infestation will hamper their ability to sell their home, according to Thompson Rivers University entomologist Rob Higgins.

Get hosed, homeowners :allears:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Guest2553 posted:

Post crash make sure you don't pick up a cheap foreclosure that has been ravaged by fire ants.

Get hosed, homeowners :allears:

I can't tell what's worse - buying an old home (possibly ravaged by one or more hidden nightmares like this), or a new one (possibly slapped together shoddily by a developer keen to make a quick, easy buck).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is what a really really good inspection is for. Good inspectors are rare. I feel like you should be able to hire a home inspector inspector who inspects home inspectors to find out if they're lazy or on the REALTOR's take. Also don't be a stupid poo poo head and sign away your legal rights and buy a house "as is" ever ever ever.

Or this can happen
http://www.hoodwinkedhouse.com/#sthash.NFmOAc30.dpbshttp://www.hoodwinkedhouse.com/%23sthash.NFmOAc30.dpbs

It's a horrible situation but oh god who signs away their rights :( Also he tried to call the police when he found a missing beam... seriously read this through, it just gets worse and worse for him.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 11, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Reading through that GBS comedy thread reminds me of a lexical annoyance that's really gained some popularity. It seems that it's completely acceptable to do something financially stupid if it's done in the name of 'lifestyle choice'. Ignoring the financial risk of spending too much on a home is ok if it's a 'lifestyle choice'. Taking out a loan to buy a luxury car is ok because it's a 'lifestyle choice'. Abandoning your family to go study at a yoga retreat in Goa is ok because it's a 'lifestyle choice'.

namaste

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=wxcK9Uc0Ujs

:magical:

Rime fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 11, 2014

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Baronjutter posted:

This is what a really really good inspection is for. Good inspectors are rare. I feel like you should be able to hire a home inspector inspector who inspects home inspectors to find out if they're lazy or on the REALTOR's take. Also don't be a stupid poo poo head and sign away your legal rights and buy a house "as is" ever ever ever.

Or this can happen
http://www.hoodwinkedhouse.com/#sthash.NFmOAc30.dpbshttp://www.hoodwinkedhouse.com/%23sthash.NFmOAc30.dpbs

It's a horrible situation but oh god who signs away their rights :( Also he tried to call the police when he found a missing beam... seriously read this through, it just gets worse and worse for him.

Oh sweet lord, and the story's still ongoing, too He's still updating.

I can't feel anything but sympathy for the guy, that's all awful. Even if he was stupid to sign that waiver, I'd have to be a cold hearted libertarian randian nightmare person to think that means he deserves all this.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronjutter posted:

Or this can happen

Watching a little bit of Holmes on Holmes really woke me up to some of the dangers, but that poor guy...

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Dr. Witherbone posted:

Oh sweet lord, and the story's still ongoing, too He's still updating.

I can't feel anything but sympathy for the guy, that's all awful. Even if he was stupid to sign that waiver, I'd have to be a cold hearted libertarian randian nightmare person to think that means he deserves all this.

Holy crap. Raze the whole thing and start over seems like the only possibility at this point.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Baronjutter posted:

Or this can happen

I clicked the link without reading the rest of your post... I kept thinking "oh well at least he's on the path to fixing it, surely it can't get worse" but it DOES, yeesh.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Baronjutter posted:

Or this can happen

Holy poo poo, I just read the whole thing. That is unbelievable.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431884

This is a good thread about the pride of ownership.

\/ I wish it wasn't still ongoing, I need some closure! Really hope it turns out ok for him, it's either that or a 2nd bankruptcy. Poor americans and their "oh I need some surgery, guess I'm bankrupt".

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 12, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Baronjutter posted:

Or this can happen

:magical:

that was a hell of a read.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009
Just when you think things are gonna get better for him...nope.

That is some heroic resilience right there.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Coylter posted:

After one bankruptcy, I'll bet he's being driven by more than heroism.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, if I could get that place in that exact condition for that price in Vancouver... I would count myself lucky.

Closed on my first house! $174,000 with 4 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, attached garage, and 2,170 square feet.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

xerxus posted:

Honestly, if I could get that place in that exact condition for that price in Vancouver... I would count myself lucky.

Closed on my first house! $174,000 with 4 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, attached garage, and 2,170 square feet.

http://beta.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?PropertyId=13333154

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ephori posted:

Holy poo poo, I just read the whole thing. That is unbelievable.

He needs to hire a witch doctor after things like new cement ending up being bad in a big rainstorm and also the exploding spray insulation can.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Coylter posted:

I'm only through November 2013 and already he needs to quit throwing good money after bad.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

more friedman units posted:

he needs to quit throwing good money after bad.

I don't claim to be an investment guru or any of that bullshit, but this is [i]undoubtedly the most important thing anyone can ever learn./i] There is no bigger mistake that you can make that chasing after money you've already lost. if you aren't out by the mid-five-figures, at least, you'd be better off doing pretty much anything else with your time and money, even if you're 100% sure you're in the right. Even if you are, you've got to do a serious CBA before you pursue a claim.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm just going to leave this here... http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/07/11/survey-of-fire-ants-in-b-c-blocked-by-homeowners-worried-about-property-values/

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Ongoing list of things less important than property values:

- The care and comfort of the dying.
- Human rights of transgendered teenagers.
- Controlling invasive species.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Or this can happen

This is a very worthy read. I suspect that he's right when he states that the Realtor is in on the scheme too.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Coylter posted:

I feel bad for him but I don't understand why he's doing so much work on the basement when he has so many other issues to deal with. He doesn't even have all his eavestroughs up and he's putting down carpetting, doors and levelling out the floor.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

EngineerJoe posted:

I feel bad for him but I don't understand why he's doing so much work on the basement when he has so many other issues to deal with. He doesn't even have all his eavestroughs up and he's putting down carpetting, doors and levelling out the floor.

He had to throw out that carpet after he dropped the can of insulation stuff on it, but it wouldn't have mattered bc the basement flooded :downs:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

EngineerJoe posted:

It's mainly because all the basic plumbing for things such as sewer hook-ups was incorrectly done, which require tearing all the bad pipes out of the basement area.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

etalian posted:

It's mainly because all the basic plumbing for things such as sewer hook-ups was incorrectly done, which require tearing all the bad pipes out of the basement area.

Yeah, when you read his summary electical, plumbing and HVAC, most of which is usually done in the basement, are all 90% finished, and those are going to be a lot of his major concerns and make more than just like one room of his house liveable.

I agree, I think the RE agency is in on it for sure.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

PT6A posted:

I don't claim to be an investment guru or any of that bullshit, but this is [i]undoubtedly the most important thing anyone can ever learn./i] There is no bigger mistake that you can make that chasing after money you've already lost. if you aren't out by the mid-five-figures, at least, you'd be better off doing pretty much anything else with your time and money, even if you're 100% sure you're in the right. Even if you are, you've got to do a serious CBA before you pursue a claim.

The sunk cost fallacy is a powerful thing. Spending $65,000-$100,000 to fix a $173,000 house doesn't seem reasonable, particularly when he mentions multiple contractors looking at the place and going, "Forget it, too risky." It could very well have construction flaws that are so serious that it'd be cheaper to tear it down and rebuild. At one point he mentions putting some bills on his credit card...

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
This guy knows the hell of declaring bankruptcy and he's doing everything to avoid falling back into that trap. In the US, having a low credit score means much more than in Canada. Obtaining services like power, water utilities, internet, rent all become very difficult, if not impossible.

And then you listen to all the prideful owner in Canada declaring, oh it's no problem if interest rates go up, I'll just declare bankruptcy. Good luck with that.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

Hoodwinked House posted:

Why don't you just walk away from the house and let the bank deal with it?

I spent 8 years rebuilding my credit following an out-of-pocket surgery that led to bankruptcy and foreclosure. Letting my mortgage lender deal with the house would mean destroying my credit again for at least another 8 years. I'm not willing to do that.

Uniquely American!

I guess his main mistake was not being more wary about the lack of post-2010 building permits. Those old MLS pictures would have been great to find before he bought the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

more friedman units posted:

The sunk cost fallacy is a powerful thing. Spending $65,000-$100,000 to fix a $173,000 house doesn't seem reasonable, particularly when he mentions multiple contractors looking at the place and going, "Forget it, too risky." It could very well have construction flaws that are so serious that it'd be cheaper to tear it down and rebuild. At one point he mentions putting some bills on his credit card...

Despite all the work it's still a really messed up house with exterior problems such as a constantly leaking roof and also ice dam problems.