Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Nooo that thread was the shittiest poo poo show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kasonic posted:

:derp:

Do we still have the can of worms smiley? Maybe I'm blind

:can:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I need this in my life. Also that snake token. I need about a dozen of those.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Quick talk about something else

uh... uh... Birds of Paradise are literally a time walk, discuss.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Talk about that sweet rear end tumblr

Owl right, that's hoot I'm talking about.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"Owl rise" oh my god

Why does this tiny bird have breasts

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 11, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

forbidden lesbian posted:

Link the thread you tease

It's fallen into the archives which I don't have :(

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

:ninja:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's a harpy.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Pinterest Mom posted:

"Owl rise" oh my god

Because it's a more faithful representation of the card type than the original art :colbert:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Spiderdrake posted:

Talk about that sweet rear end tumblr

Owl right, that's hoot I'm talking about.

I want these.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

A Moose posted:

I need this in my life. Also that snake token. I need about a dozen of those.

I love the cutco logo. I need this for my Iroas EDH.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

forbidden lesbian posted:

Link the thread you tease

This thread, I think?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Oh my god I need a playset.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Apparently Maro is hinting in his blog that we've already seen Tarkir in one of the Planechase decks. Potentially this one? http://magiccards.info/query?q=%21Kharasha+Foothills

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That would make a lot of sense. Mongseng is a great name for Totally Not Mongolia.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I thought the plane itself was called Tarkir though, so that wouldn't be it? Unless they changed their minds internally after releasing that.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
The name of the plane may also have changed due to some event. I mean, Mirrodin became New Phyrexia, and Rath became with Dominaria.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Veyrall posted:

The name of the plane may also have changed due to some event. I mean, Mirrodin became New Phyrexia, and Rath became with Dominaria.

And Tarkir has history of sweeping change: The extinction of the Dragons (that are totally not coming back, and totally aren't eldrazi connected).

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Prerelease report: Ensoul Artifact is absurd, unbelievably absurd. An opening hand of that + Ornithopter will have a 5/5 flyer out swinging on turn 2.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Alris posted:

Prerelease report: Ensoul Artifact is absurd, unbelievably absurd. An opening hand of that + Ornithopter will have a 5/5 flyer out swinging on turn 2.

Man, I remember when Ornithopter was the butt of every Inquest magazine's card list.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Badman posted:

Man, I remember when Ornithopter was the butt of every Inquest magazine's card list.

Ornithopter is still really bad, please don't play Ornithopter.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Tezzeract posted:

DOTP 14 was all tribal aggro at release though. The expansion pack helped it so much, but for a while the game was as bad as Hearthstone.

Still Ajani's enchantments, Chandra's burn and Dimir's hand/draw fuckery from the base game. And Garruk was aggressive creatures without being tribal, while the Eldrazi and Dragons were tribal without being overtly aggressive too because they needed to ramp to their tribes. It was massively skewed, I admit that freely: four mostly tribal aggro decks (Jace, Avacyn and Liliana all mixing in flavours of control too), two more which are tribal, another which is based on curving creatures out quickly, and only three which have neither trait is absurd. But it wasn't as bad as the hyperbole always paints it, because those exceptions and partial exceptions did exist.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Plus, the Jace, Avacyn, and Liliana decks were significantly stronger than the others, so they saw the most play. Meanwhile, Chandra's deck had 4x Pilgrim's Eye.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Alris posted:

Cool that it worked out for you but that combo seems horribly inconsistent.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Of course it's far from a sure thing, hell it's a card game, of course things aren't going to go 100% your way, but turning a 0 cost chump blocker into a flying death machine on your second turn is pretty rad.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Magical Xmas land is usually pretty rad.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Looks like the website is having a bit of a fuss again. That article was posted early (supposed to go up on August 8th) but is now gone; someone on Reddit grabbed screenshots, which you can view here. It's nothing particularly interesting or spoiler-y, unfortunately.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
Part of me has to wonder why Hermit Druid is still banned in Legacy, considering Balustrade Spy and Undercity Informer do his job better.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Plus, the Jace, Avacyn, and Liliana decks were significantly stronger than the others, so they saw the most play. Meanwhile, Chandra's deck had 4x Pilgrim's Eye.

Dude, don't diss pilgrim's eye. That card was standard-playable.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Alris posted:

Of course it's far from a sure thing, hell it's a card game, of course things aren't going to go 100% your way, but turning a 0 cost chump blocker into a flying death machine on your second turn is pretty rad.

Clear strategy is to draft as many of either.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

CountFosco posted:

Dude, don't diss pilgrim's eye. That card was standard-playable.

I think that talks about the state of standard, at the time, does it not?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

En Fuego posted:

I think it's a reference to one of their writers who kept cramming it into every deck article he wrote.

It'd be pretty great if it turned out to have been this future's league staple that just never came to be.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/...-ruin-sun-titan

Pilgrim's eye was played in mono-white control decks where the chief aim was to outlast the opponent and get your sun-titan and emeria the sky ruin online. While perhaps not tier 1, the strategy had synergy, power, and could compete.

It was also a bit budget.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

En Fuego posted:

Standard at the time was Jund and Bant Superfriends. Pilgrim's Eye was not a standard playable card.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Apparently Maro is hinting in his blog that we've already seen Tarkir in one of the Planechase decks. Potentially this one? http://magiccards.info/query?q=%21Kharasha+Foothills

Hordes of creatures and soldiers...could this be the return of banding?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Standard at the time was Jund and Bant Superfriends. Pilgrim's Eye was not a standard playable card.

http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/print.php?Article=21684

quote:

“The deck is based on getting to a certain point in the game where you just have inevitability on them” Michael said. “It looks very underpowered but cards like Pilgrim's Eye actually hold it all together. It's amazing with Sun Titan—one of your best targets!” Is Mono White Control poised to prey on the Caw? Time will tell so keep your eyes on this Standard Open!

Again, I'm not claiming it's tier 1. But it had a really, really strong match up in some areas which made it a legitimate metagame-call.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Kraus posted:

Part of me has to wonder why Hermit Druid is still banned in Legacy, considering Balustrade Spy and Undercity Informer do his job better.

Except he lets you do it with lands in your deck.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

Open the Vaults placed in that pro tour (later iterations of the list would run Pilgrim's Eye) and the Bant list wasn't a Superfriends list it was a bunch of mythic rare creatures and JTMS

Admittedly the card itself wasn't played in the OTV list that got 22 points in Pro Tour San Diego 2010 but it definitely had its place as Jund developed more to fight the list in smaller metagames. Realistically it was your best way to make sure you had the cards in hand to protect Open the Vaults from double blightning "draws" from Jund.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Wasn't the pilgrim's eye sun titan deck a Flores deck? I think it was one of those bad decks that Flores kept saying was better than cawblade but never did anything.

• Locked thread