Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012

KilGrey posted:

Can someone explain something to me? I'm not a comic book reader so all I know of the League of Assassins is what this show has shown me, but aren't they bad guys? Everyone was all cool with Sarah going off with them at the end but all I could think was how she was going off to kill folks for money and everyone was all :toot:.
Yeah, her arc was "I've done terrible things and I am struggling to deal with it...well, I guess I like doing terrible things and so I'll go back to doing that. Bye!"

(Please note I am referring to her work as an assassin, not her lesbianism)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VBane
Oct 31, 2011

Crunk Abortion posted:

Spin off felicity sarah-canary and huntress and you could make it work. No tatu allowed.

That scene was probably best and most memorable part of that show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kda9_RDHwM4

And I have a soft spot in my heart for the show that brought us the only live action Harley Quinn in her 22 years of existence.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

KilGrey posted:

Can someone explain something to me? I'm not a comic book reader so all I know of the League of Assassins is what this show has shown me, but aren't they bad guys? Everyone was all cool with Sarah going off with them at the end but all I could think was how she was going off to kill folks for money and everyone was all :toot:.
No yeah, that's more or less the gist of it. It was a seriously weird way to round out the season for her, but I think all the viewers at the time were just so relieved she didn't get fridged that we were willing to pretend it wasn't a big deal.

For what it's worth, at it does seem that this version of the League isn't outright evil, more just mercenaries. Even R'as didn't approve of what Malcolm Merlyn was doing, after all.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

While I thought that the back half of season 2 was appropriately bananas and a stupid amount of fun, there's a bunch of stuff that really could have used more time to flesh out. That includes Sara deciding to be a hero... by running back to her old masters. And basically everything with Roy, who really fell to the wayside once Slade kicked things into higher gear. Much as I enjoyed Roy getting his mask, part of me wishes they would have kept him in a coma longer - so when he came out of it we could actually give him some narrative focus.

But this is Arrow, and I doubt season 3 is going to be slow in any way, shape, or form.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

BrianWilly posted:

For what it's worth, at it does seem that this version of the League isn't outright evil, more just mercenaries. Even R'as didn't approve of what Malcolm Merlyn was doing, after all.

The thing that made me laugh about that was it was essentially the same thing Ras did in Batman Begins.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
They should bring in Liam Neeson to punish him

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Oroborus posted:

The thing that made me laugh about that was it was essentially the same thing Ras did in Batman Begins.

See I thought Ra's wasn't mad about Merlyn's plan, I thought he was mad it only partially worked.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The thing with Sara running off to the League when she was all 'I don't want to do bad things anymore' wasn't because she wanted to or counter to her character arc... Ollie really didn't have the manpower to handle Slade's army so she traded herself for League help.

I think the last couple posts gloss over that fact.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
There was also when she wanted to use lethal force against Roy and questioned her ability to change.

She's an addict that relapsed. Her addiction is murder. And ladies.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Ladymurder. Sounds like a metal band.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Blackchamber posted:

The thing with Sara running off to the League when she was all 'I don't want to do bad things anymore' wasn't because she wanted to or counter to her character arc... Ollie really didn't have the manpower to handle Slade's army so she traded herself for League help.

I think the last couple posts gloss over that fact.

Yeah this is kind of the key thing. I'd be surprised if Season 3 doesn't open with Ollie busting into Nanda Parbat and beating up a ton of Ninjas to rescue her.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
So Arrow got kinda snubbed in the Emmys, most notably not even getting a nomination for stuntwork. :smith:

Narcissus1916 posted:

And basically everything with Roy, who really fell to the wayside once Slade kicked things into higher gear. Much as I enjoyed Roy getting his mask, part of me wishes they would have kept him in a coma longer - so when he came out of it we could actually give him some narrative focus.
Man, it REALLY seemed like the whole point of the Roy arc there was to set up Slade having some kind of redemptive arc when his mirakuru craziness got cured. It sucked SO much when they went "actually he was just an insane dickhead the whole time, gently caress consistency!" I was so disappointed by that resolution that I keep forgetting how great the build up to that finale was.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

VagueRant posted:

So Arrow got kinda snubbed in the Emmys, most notably not even getting a nomination for stuntwork. :smith:

"The stunt work in Arrow is pretty good, but it's no Hawaii Five-O!"
-The people in charge of nominations

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Has the WB ever gotten an Emmy nomination ever?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Arrow stunt work is fine, but honestly I've seen better on children's programming. This isn't a knock, there is just really good stunt and action choreography on some kids shows.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

greatn posted:

Arrow stunt work is fine, but honestly I've seen better on children's programming. This isn't a knock, there is just really good stunt and action choreography on some kids shows.

Personally while I'm pretty sure pretty much all stunt work of the kind on Arrow requires a lot of prep time and careful planning for what amounts to a 5 second shot, the results of it on Arrow haven't really wowed me. I'm aware that's kind of shallow but at the same time Amell briefly talked up the stunt work they did for the season 2 finale and in the back of my mind I was waiting for the scene he was talking about and... it just never seemed to come? Everything was entertaining but I never saw a scene that, from my ignorant viewing, seemed like it took a ton of extra work to pull off.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kibayasu posted:

Everything was entertaining but I never saw a scene that, from my ignorant viewing, seemed like it took a ton of extra work to pull off.

Wouldn't be that the point? Doing stunts in a way that doesn't seem reharsed and/or need extra work to do?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Wouldn't be that the point? Doing stunts in a way that doesn't seem reharsed and/or need extra work to do?

Probably but with Amell's comment part of me was waiting for something more showy so I guess he can blame himself :v:

Mostly, however, I mean when compared to the rest of the show. The finale seemed, as far as stunts go on Arrow, pretty normal. Just a lot more fight choreography to do.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

VagueRant posted:

Man, it REALLY seemed like the whole point of the Roy arc there was to set up Slade having some kind of redemptive arc when his mirakuru craziness got cured. It sucked SO much when they went "actually he was just an insane dickhead the whole time, gently caress consistency!" I was so disappointed by that resolution that I keep forgetting how great the build up to that finale was.

This and Brooklyn 99 for comedy series, are IMHO the biggest snubs.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

VagueRant posted:

Slade was insane for years. You think that just goes away after he stops punching people really hard? Do people forget he was like two seconds from murdering Ollie in cold blood when they first met? Slade was a cold rear end spec ops guy before even getting to the island and getting hosed up by that poo poo hole. THEN he went nuts on Japanese super serum.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Narcissus1916 posted:

While I thought that the back half of season 2 was appropriately bananas and a stupid amount of fun, there's a bunch of stuff that really could have used more time to flesh out. That includes Sara deciding to be a hero... by running back to her old masters. And basically everything with Roy, who really fell to the wayside once Slade kicked things into higher gear. Much as I enjoyed Roy getting his mask, part of me wishes they would have kept him in a coma longer - so when he came out of it we could actually give him some narrative focus.

But this is Arrow, and I doubt season 3 is going to be slow in any way, shape, or form.

Apparently almost every episode after Roy woke up had a scene about Roy that got cut for time.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Kibayasu posted:

I'm aware that's kind of shallow but at the same time Amell briefly talked up the stunt work they did for the season 2 finale and in the back of my mind I was waiting for the scene he was talking about and... it just never seemed to come? Everything was entertaining but I never saw a scene that, from my ignorant viewing, seemed like it took a ton of extra work to pull off.

It was the simultaneous flashback and present Slade/Ollie fights and getting the fight choreography to flow between them.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

jscolon2.0 posted:

This and Brooklyn 99 for comedy series, are IMHO the biggest snubs.

Emmy Rossum not getting a Best Actress (Comedy) nom makes me want to punch things.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BreakAtmo posted:

Emmy Rossum not getting a Best Actress (Comedy) nom makes me want to punch things.

No, BreakAtmo! It's the Mee-roo-koo-roo talking!

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

No, BreakAtmo! It's the Mee-roo-koo-roo talking!

You thought it was just the Mirakuru that made me love her!?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Out of curiosity, I don't even remember, did Slade and Shado know each other prior to Ollie showing up? It seemed like Slade being "YOU ARE MY ONE TROO LOVE" came really abruptly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Out of curiosity, I don't even remember, did Slade and Shado know each other prior to Ollie showing up? It seemed like Slade being "YOU ARE MY ONE TROO LOVE" came really abruptly.

They didn't.

It did.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Slade was a goon emotionally but he happened to have brawn and cunning to back it up.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

He was trapped on a hellish island with her for like, 6+ months. It was two dudes, one woman, and she chose the other guy. It was not gonna end well.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Manu's Deathstroke, Lotz Canary and Island Ollie get figures from DC Collectibles:

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?itemid=22897&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Deathstroke and Canary look really good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Didn't they do a Deathstroke in the 2 pack? I guess that one was his island costume, right?

The face on the Oliver is not so good.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Aphrodite posted:

Didn't they do a Deathstroke in the 2 pack? I guess that one was his island costume, right?

Yeah, that was Wintergreen.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Aphrodite posted:

Super derpy face.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Still, I hope they bring Slade back for the inevitable Suicide Squad spin-off show--maybe make him less...uh...

Like, okay, Pre-Mirakuru Slade has a gravelly voice and thick accent, but Post-Mirakuru Slade is full on Batman Voice and it's really annoying. I can't help but feel that after every scene he had to down a cup of tea to soothe his ravaged throat as he growls his way through a monolog. He was less menacing somehow, even with all the freaky super powers. I'd kind of want to see the more affable--or at least likable--Slade voice if he comes back into the TV world continuity.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Manu's Deathstroke, Lotz Canary and Island Ollie get figures from DC Collectibles:

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?itemid=22897&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Deathstroke and Canary look really good.

Seeing that just reminds me that he never used those grenades on his chest :argh:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Oh boy, that "boobs and butt" WW figure is hilarious.

Regardless, why can't that make a cool looking Ollie?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

omg chael crash posted:

Oh boy, that "boobs and butt" WW figure is hilarious.

Regardless, why can't that make a cool looking Ollie?

At least its only one boob so its somewhat physically possible to turn like that!

Ballet dancing Superman is pretty great. Do not tell me what he's actually supposed to be doing, I don't care.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2014/07/11/dc-comics-arrow-the-flash/

quote:

The CW’s returning hit show Arrow and the upcoming The Flash might be based off of well-known comics, but the shows themselves are about to get digital comics of their own.

DC Comics announced that it is creating Arrow: Season 2.5 and The Flash: Season Zero to launch this Fall. In the new digital series, which will be written by the showrunners of Arrow and The Flash, the stories will fit into the timeline of the show, giving fans a glimpse at what happens when the show isn’t on the air. For Arrow fans, that means everything from “Olicity” action to meeting new characters.
First reported by TV Guide, Arrow executive producer Marc Guggenheim will write the comic alongside fellow Arrow writer Keto Shimizu. “It will take us from the end of season two right up to the beginning of season three,” Guggenheim told TV Guide. “We’ve tried to put in all the elements that people like about the show, so there will be Oliver and Felicity banter. We’re going to see what’s happened to Detective Lance after he collapsed in the season finale. A good chunk of the burning questions left over will get answered in the tie-in comic.”

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In similar news, Kreisberg and Ben Sokolowski are the new writers on the real Green Arrow comic. Like, not the show tie-in, the main-line book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gaz-L posted:

In similar news, Kreisberg and Ben Sokolowski are the new writers on the real Green Arrow comic. Like, not the show tie-in, the main-line book.

And they confirmed Felicity will be added at the comic.

• Locked thread