Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Basically if there's one group in this conflict that deserves intensified support with few caveats, it's the Kurds. Until I see evidence that they're doing massacres (:smith:), I'll say the Peshmerga are probably the best chance for peace the region has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

I'm reading something about ISIS turning against some of their Baathist allies, are there any more details about this?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/07/08/uk-iraq-islamic-state-mosul-idUKKBN0FD1AA20140708?irpc=932
And reportedly the Baathists are targeting ISIS, as well.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Good.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Volkerball posted:

What? They've killed dozens of ISIS fighters in Kobane, and they're being assaulted by tanks and humvees. Kurds have been screaming about all this stuff at the top of their lungs. The only ones reporting it are Kurdish media though.

I just would have thought the Peshmerga would have rolled into town by now, or at least extra guns and such.
Granted, the Peshmerga themselves are stretched thin as it is.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Maybe these guys aren't so bad.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

If ISIS declares war on FIFA I'm genuinely unsure which side I'd support.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

How are u posted:

They'd have plenty of sympathy among the migrant laborers, that's for sure. Dhimmitude might not seem so bad compared to what they have to deal with.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

How are u posted:

Well IS has a clearer policy on bribes...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
FIFA is almost definitely going to re-bid the 2022 World Cup at some point for many, many reasons, this not being one of them. Now they get to claim they scared the decadent Westerners away when it happens though. More stuff to recruit on.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

JT Jag posted:

FIFA is almost definitely going to re-bid the 2022 World Cup at some point for many, many reasons, this not being one of them. Now they get to claim they scared the decadent Westerners away when it happens though. More stuff to recruit on.

I'm literally okay with this if it means Qatar doesn't get to host the world cup in The SlaveDome.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

illrepute posted:

I'm literally okay with this if it means Qatar doesn't get to host the world cup in The SlaveDome.
Oh, so am I, I'm just saying that ISIS is pretty good at this propaganda game.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

illrepute posted:

Is that the one that looks like a great big hoo-hah?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Bip Roberts posted:

Is that the one that looks like a great big hoo-hah?

Confirm.

Oh also I'm not sure, did this thread have any discussion over the recent brouhaha in Bahrain? A U.S. Diplomat got expelled for meeting the leader of the Shi'ite opposition, and now that opposition leader has been arrested. The U.S. is condemning the government for 'undermining dialogue'.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Paul MaudDib posted:

You should report a nuclear scientist with sympathies towards an active terrorist group anyway, pretty much. Especially one that's too radical for Al Qaeda. Nuclear scientists idly musing about how awesome and righteous ISIS is way over the line in my book, I'd definitely find that creepy as hell. What the gently caress.

The article isn't real long on details, they only say that it's "low-grade" material. Not sure if that means yellowcake or LEU reactor fuel. If the latter, that could potentially be enough for a bomb, if they refined it up to HEU.

Refining isn't extraordinarily hard and doesn't necessarily require special equipment. The Calutron approach used to produce the US's WWII uranium weapons might be within their means. If they already had LEU feedstock, they would basically just need to build the equivalent of the Beta Calutron and handle to conversion to and from U-Cl4. It's not cutting-edge research anymore, unfortunately, a nuclear scientist could probably work out the process assuming he had the nuclear material and sufficient resources to work with (fabrication, big electromagnets, and lots of electricity). I would think you could probably get most of the way there by re-purposing the power feeds and equipment from something like a metal recycling/smelting/refining plant, which use strong magnetic fields to separate ferrous/nonferrous metals/impurities and for induction heating. If I were the US, I'd be looking real hard at industrial facilities in ISIS-controlled territory and blowing up infrastructure to make sure their power stays blacked out.

A dirty bomb is a much more likely scenario, and also much less dangerous. But goddamn the situation keeps getting worse, ISIS is not only making gains but they have potential access to chemical weapons and nuclear material now, and no one has any idea what to do about it.

I though dirty bombs were fake and aren't actually effective?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
The most dangerous thing about any kind of improvised explosive device isn't actually the blast itself (debatable if you're the one caught in the explosion), but the fear it causes. In the case of a dirty bomb, it's the fear of the nuclear radiation that would justify its usage, not the actual effects which I doubt would be anything at all compared to what we did to Falluja, let alone Hiroshima.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

How are u posted:

Well, one side is lead by a wealthy megalomaniac with significant support in the Middle East, and the other side is ISIS.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This is from a long time ago, but I'm not sure if it was posted. The UN did a report on the extent of human rights violations against children covering the beginning of 2011 to the end of 2013. It's pretty loving terrible. Here's the full report if you want to see some of the more detailed stories with examples and dates and such.

http://daccess-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/N13/627/07/PDF/N1362707.pdf?OpenElement

But if not, here's a summary article.

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=47077#.U7-xwfnROmf

quote:

Detailing the detention of children as young as 11 years old for alleged association with armed groups by Government forces in large-scale arrest campaigns, the reports says they were ill-treated and tortured to extract confessions or humiliate them or pressure a relative to surrender or confess.

“Ill treatment and acts tantamount to torture reportedly included beatings with metal cables, whips and wooden and metal batons; electric shock, including to the genitals; the ripping out of fingernails and toenails; sexual violence, including rape or threats of rape; mock executions; cigarette burns; sleep deprivation; solitary confinement; and exposure to the torture of relatives,” the report says.

“Reports indicate that children were also suspended from walls or ceilings by their wrists or other limbs, were forced to put their head, neck and legs through a tire while being beaten, and were tied to a board and beaten.

The report cites a 16-year-old boy as saying he witnessed his 14-year-old male friend being sexually assaulted and then killed, and notes other allegations that boys and in a few instances girls were raped. The 16-year-old said children and adults were beaten with metal bars, their fingernails pulled out, their fingers cut. “Or they were beaten with a hammer in the back, sometimes until death,” he added.

Allegations of sexual violence by opposition groups were also received, but the UN was unable to further investigate them due to lack of access, the report says.

So they basically get the full branch 215 treatment as well. There's some other stuff about the opposition in there, but it seems that before the timeframe when ISIS became pronounced, the regime was far and away the worst offender. Now it's just the worst offender.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
After watching that video I know we're all in a "gently caress ISIS" frame of mind, but it's useful to remember the officers and generals they were rounding up at least have probably bought torture to the table as well as murder. Not to say murder is acceptable, but at least it's quick when done with a bullet to the head.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
I'm looking forward a football team full of bearded players thicker than Tim Howard's. Perhaps bearded referee as well...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Section 31 posted:

I'm looking forward a football team full of bearded players thicker than Tim Howard's. Perhaps bearded referee as well...

Cutting off the goalie's hands if the other team scores...

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Wait, soccer/'football' is haram?

Well this seems a bit hypocritical gently caress I don't even know what to call it:

quote:

...it is not permissible to give prizes except for competitions which help prepare one for jihad, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There should be no (money) prizes for competitions except archery competitions and races with camels and horses.”

So gambling is ok so long as it's for war but only a form of war that's deprecated. Maybe a modern interpretation would include modern warfare activities? Racing cars then? Gotta drive stuff in a modern war right?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 11, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shaocaholica posted:

How couldn't it be? Football is godless idolatry.

For reference, public executions were the only form of entertainment tolerated by the Taliban.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
God, they don't even have fun with it like the Aztecs did. It's like my Sunday School decided to lead a terrorist group.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
If the 8th century is just the best what is the Salafist excuse for using computers, a contraption invented by a gay guy in the C20th? I assume it'll be the standard "its ok to eat pork if you're starving" thing but in which case is the plan for the caliphate to stop using haraam stuff once they've achieved total victory?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

illrepute posted:

God, they don't even have fun with it like the Aztecs did. It's like my Sunday School decided to lead a terrorist group.

Fun like sacrificing the losing team?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Shaocaholica posted:

Fun like sacrificing the losing team?

Why would the gods want losers? Nah man, they sacrificed the winners in Ōllamaliztli. And I mean, why not? If you're gonna have an empire based on blood and slaughter, why not have feathered warriors, obsidian swords (macuahuitl in the loving house!), and thousands of festivals!

By comparison, ISIS's tyranny is downright banal.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Well this seems a bit hypocritical gently caress I don't even know what to call it:

So gambling is ok so long as it's for war but only a form of war that's deprecated. Maybe a modern interpretation would include modern warfare activities? Racing cars then? Gotta drive stuff in a modern war right?

This interpretation appears to favor NASCAR and 3-gun competition. Again, more similarities with our heartland than differences.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

ReV VAdAUL posted:

If the 8th century is just the best what is the Salafist excuse for using computers, a contraption invented by a gay guy in the C20th?

It reminds me of a story back from early on Afghanistan in the 2000s where this falafel vendor was recounting how a group of Taliban pulled up in a Toyota SUV armed with Kalashnikovs and started screaming at him for selling falafel because it wasn't around in the time of the Prophet. He said that you can't really call out that kind of hypocrisy when the other guy's next response is a bullet in the back of the head.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MrNemo posted:

It reminds me of a story back from early on Afghanistan in the 2000s where this falafel vendor was recounting how a group of Taliban pulled up in a Toyota SUV armed with Kalashnikovs and started screaming at him for selling falafel because it wasn't around in the time of the Prophet. He said that you can't really call out that kind of hypocrisy when the other guy's next response is a bullet in the back of the head.

How does ISIS feel about the Columbian exchange?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

So the Kurds have pulled out of the Iraqi Government in response to Maliki's accusations of aiding ISIS. They will still attend parliament but the Kurdish ministers have stood aside in protest - Maliki has just lost his Foreign Minister, one of his Deputy PM's and his Trade Minister (among others).

In more dramatic news, the Peshmerga have seized control of the Kirkuk and Bai Hassan oilfields from the state owned Northern Oil Company.

Talk is that the move came after Baghdad instructed NOC workers to disconnect the KRG installed connection between the Kirkuk oilfields and the KRG's own Khurmala dome, which connects onwards to their controversial private pipeline to Turkey.

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 11, 2014

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Shaocaholica posted:

These are people who will put an AK47, a gun designed by an atheistic society in 1945, in the face of a falafel seller, threatening him because falafal is haram because falafel didn't exist in the time of Muhammad.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

These are people who will put an AK47, a gun designed by an atheistic society in 1945, in the face of a falafel seller, threatening him because falafal is haram because falafel didn't exist in the time of Muhammad.

I suppose it's hard to appreciate life's little ironies with multiple guns pointed at you, though I hope the vendor at least had a good chuckle later that evening.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
A swimming pool in Aleppo. Who says the regime doesn't look out for children?

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Gambling in all instances is Haram, what you quote is about giving prizes to those of outstanding skill in the aforementioned activities. Salafis generally believe in emulating the Salafs' behaviour with regards to it's morality and ethics rather than with regards to the technologies they used, but even then some of them do tend to be a bit picky when it comes to accepting things like sattelite dishes, the internet and chilled water.

FADEtoBLACK
Jan 26, 2007
ISIS is exactly what you would get if you bombed out the U.S. and it succumbed to internal conflict from armed groups. Watching that propaganda video and the poster of the video saying certain Muslims were "Muslims in name only" really hits home how we shouldn't acknowledge any political ideology based on religion and that the only time these groups function in a democracy is when the overall society is integrated and strong enough not to let them succumb to the inevitable "God wants me to kill this other dude". Nothing feels more righteous then imagining you're being forced to become violent.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
HRW detailing the murder of 255 Sunni prisoners by Iraqi army and militias over the last month, some children.

http://www.hrw.org/news/2014/07/11/iraq-campaign-mass-murders-sunni-prisoners

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What? No! We're Americans, we're civilized the fact that imperial powers have been dropping bombs on these people for 100 years has nothing to do with their inability to form a modern society.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Just keep on pretending that they have no agency.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Maybe soccer is allowed but not globalism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
So al-Golani of JaN has announced the creation of an Islamic emirate by the sounds of things?

https://soundcloud.com/aboyahya12/izlalbpudtze

• Locked thread