Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Horn posted:

I pretty much gave up on youtube in XBMC once I got my chromecast. If you do a lot of youtube watching its a worthwhile purchase.

Same but Roku, because we also use amazon prime video.

Until XBMC offers closed source binary add ons, it will never really be useful for online streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Lowen SoDium posted:

Until XBMC offers closed source binary add ons, it will never really be useful for online streaming.

I doubt it would even be that hard to do. Just make a C-based Python module and presto. You might have a hard time getting it into the official repositories, though.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Why exactly are the XBMC devs so obstinant about not allowing closed source addons? Is it some loving Stallman cult poo poo festering in that dev group or just a conflict in the legal aspect?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Why exactly are you guys so obstinant about allowing closed source addons? It would only result in less third party developer cooperation and likely poor multiplatform support. Accommodating DRM'd components would be giving up a lot for minimal returns, and could easily make XBMC's add-on side into something like the cesspits called "app stores" on mobile. Just buy a Roku/FireTV/Android TV or make a launcher shortcut to your service's site/app if proprietary streaming technologies are what you want, but don't bring any of that mess into XBMC if it comes caring a truckload of poo poo-soaked baggage.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Keito posted:

Why exactly are you guys so obstinant about allowing closed source addons? It would only result in less third party developer cooperation and likely poor multiplatform support. Accommodating DRM'd components would be giving up a lot for minimal returns, and could easily make XBMC's add-on side into something like the cesspits called "app stores" on mobile. Just buy a Roku/FireTV/Android TV or make a launcher shortcut to your service's site/app if proprietary streaming technologies are what you want, but don't bring any of that mess into XBMC if it comes caring a truckload of poo poo-soaked baggage.

Opinions presented as fact in this post.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Because xbmc will never get support for any online streaming service until those services are able to use their DRM.

Yes, I use a roku. But it's not because I like it. It's because xbmc is lacking a feature that prevents any streaming service from ever supporting them.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

Keito posted:

That's tvdb policy, either switch to xem scraping or deal with it and rename your files (ie. S01E01E02).

I got around to trying both of these and I didn't have any luck. Using XEM as a scraper didn't pull anything different than what thetvdb had, even when messing around with the settings. Renaming the files to the S01E01E02 format didn't really help either. Any other ideas?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

So I'm having some buffering issues due to my not-so-quick-but-nearly-quick-enough homeplug network. I want to switch from SMB to NFS sharing from my NAS to see if that helps, do I need to remove and re-add the entirety of my library or is there some way of getting XBMC to re-locate it's files?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

StorrowS posted:

So I'm having some buffering issues due to my not-so-quick-but-nearly-quick-enough homeplug network. I want to switch from SMB to NFS sharing from my NAS to see if that helps, do I need to remove and re-add the entirety of my library or is there some way of getting XBMC to re-locate it's files?

You could edit the entries in the database, but depending on how much the paths change that could be a lot of mangling to make it work. Personally, I'd remove and re-add. Even if you have a colossally large library, it shouldn't take more than an hour or so to scrape things again.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

G-Prime posted:

You could edit the entries in the database, but depending on how much the paths change that could be a lot of mangling to make it work. Personally, I'd remove and re-add. Even if you have a colossally large library, it shouldn't take more than an hour or so to scrape things again.

I figured that would be the answer, at least everything is properly named so it shouldn't be too much of a headache to re-scan.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Belle Isle Tech posted:

I got around to trying both of these and I didn't have any luck. Using XEM as a scraper didn't pull anything different than what thetvdb had, even when messing around with the settings. Renaming the files to the S01E01E02 format didn't really help either. Any other ideas?

Whenever I have a show that won't get scanned into the library for whatever reason I just write the nfo files myself.
I would share the script I made to do it automatically but my machine shat itself last week, I think the bare minimum info you need to enter is the show name, season and episode numbers and episode title.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Has anyone seen a problem with 3D movies in SBS mode showing the subtitles on both sides of the screen? I found this post but no fixes.

https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/2969

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

LookieLoo posted:

Whenever I have a show that won't get scanned into the library for whatever reason I just write the nfo files myself.
I would share the script I made to do it automatically but my machine shat itself last week, I think the bare minimum info you need to enter is the show name, season and episode numbers and episode title.

For this to work, would I need to have every episode in individual folders like so:

Series\Season\Episode 1\
Series\Season\Episode 2\

Or can I just keep everything like this and just dump the nfo files along with the episodes in there:

Series\Season\

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Belle Isle Tech posted:

For this to work, would I need to have every episode in individual folders like so:

Series\Season\Episode 1\
Series\Season\Episode 2\

Or can I just keep everything like this and just dump the nfo files along with the episodes in there:

Series\Season\
Series\Season will be fine, you just need to have S1E1 - blah.mp4 alongside S1E1 - blah.nfo. You can use this to override inaccurate scraping at the show level as well.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Just dump the nfo files alongside the video files, just make sure they have the same name like so:

quote:

TVShow\Season01\Whatevs - s01e02.avi
TVShow\Season01\Whatevs - s01e02.nfo

I found a real old backup of the script so heres what needs to go in the nfo:

quote:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<episodedetails>
<title>"SHOW NAME"</title>
<season>"SEASON NUMBER"</season>
<episode>"EPISODE NUMBER"</episode>
</episodedetails>

I'm pretty sure that the season and episode numbers would just be 01 and 02, you may need to experiment as I can barely figure this script out.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I used this program to make the nfo files for everything I have. I started because I had a bunch of stuff I ripped with no info that would scrape wrong and this was so easy to use I just did everything.

http://www.tinymediamanager.org/

I also use the show_name/Season #/S01E01 folder format.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Has anyone seen a problem with 3D movies in SBS mode showing the subtitles on both sides of the screen? I found this post but no fixes. I'm running the windows version of xbmc.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

r0ck0 posted:

Has anyone seen a problem with 3D movies in SBS mode showing the subtitles on both sides of the screen? I found this post but no fixes. I'm running the windows version of xbmc.

Yes. I also watched a movie recently and I couldn't get the subtitles to disappear. That may have been the movie though.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

wolfbiker posted:

Yes. I also watched a movie recently and I couldn't get the subtitles to disappear. That may have been the movie though.

If the movie has the choice between 3d and 2d subtitles the 2d subtitles display correctly.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
The only way I've found to be able to turn off subs (and/or not have the duplicated subs issue) in 3D SBS movies is by either moving the subs to a different dir or to rip them out of the mkv.

I guess the bright side is that I don't have much 3D content, but it sure is annoying in any case...

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

New to XBMC and I'm having trouble launching PseudoTV Live.

When I try to open PseudoTV Live, I get a "No Channels Configured" dialog box with "Would you like PseudoTV Live to Auto Tune channels?". I click Yes, then a box appears with a loading bar that says "Adding Community Channels," and then it goes back to that first "No Channels Configured" thing asking me if I'd like to Auto Tune Channels. This process loops forever.

I'm not sure what I'm missing. I manually installed all dependencies, and I'm running the latest stable build. It's not finding any of my plugins or anything. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything from scratch. Not sure where to go from here :(

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Argyle posted:

New to XBMC and I'm having trouble launching PseudoTV Live.

When I try to open PseudoTV Live, I get a "No Channels Configured" dialog box with "Would you like PseudoTV Live to Auto Tune channels?". I click Yes, then a box appears with a loading bar that says "Adding Community Channels," and then it goes back to that first "No Channels Configured" thing asking me if I'd like to Auto Tune Channels. This process loops forever.

I'm not sure what I'm missing. I manually installed all dependencies, and I'm running the latest stable build. It's not finding any of my plugins or anything. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything from scratch. Not sure where to go from here :(

Check for errors in the log?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Speaking of Pseudo live tv, I just started playing with it, as I never really thought much of the idea. From what I can tell, theres a way to share channels people have made that draw from add ons (ie a kids channel that just plays cartoons from particular cartoon add ons), but I can't find any place where people are sharing these. Can anyone point me to a thread or forum or something where people do this?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Hey are there any widgets that interface with sickbeard? I am specifically looking for something that will display my history and upcoming episodes.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Bobx66 posted:

Hey are there any widgets that interface with sickbeard? I am specifically looking for something that will display my history and upcoming episodes.

I don't know if this helps, but TV Next Aired addon will show you upcoming episodes for all your shows, and lots of skins have a widget that shows recently added shows.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Bobx66 posted:

This one: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=124808

Was recently updated for Gotham, but there isn't a lot of traction around it, so YMMV.

Looks like it does exactly what you want. I think Thermopyle suggested what you actually need though.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

LookieLoo posted:

Just dump the nfo files alongside the video files, just make sure they have the same name like so:

I found a real old backup of the script so heres what needs to go in the nfo:

I'm pretty sure that the season and episode numbers would just be 01 and 02, you may need to experiment as I can barely figure this script out.

TomR posted:

I used this program to make the nfo files for everything I have. I started because I had a bunch of stuff I ripped with no info that would scrape wrong and this was so easy to use I just did everything.

This is exactly what I needed, thanks to the both of you. This may be a stupid question, but is there a faster way of updating the info within XBMC after I create the nfo files? I've been just going to each episode and pressing Refresh, and that wipes what was originally scraped and changes it with my nfo, but I'm figuring there's something really obvious that I am missing because that seems redundant.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I think you can press c on the show name, where you would normally press enter to see the season/episode lists. There is options in there to rescan or remove it if you have to. If you remove a show and then scan for new content it will read the nfo files.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I have a bunch of ways to stream media and keep going back and forth. I'd like to get some comments if possible.

All my media is stored on an Apple Time Capsule. I have a PC that has Plex Media Server on it and have been using that with a Chromecast in the livingroom, which seems to work ok. The only thing I don't like about it is that I have to leave the PC on and the wireless kind of sucks at my house. I have gigabit everywhere, so would rather use that if possible.

I recently switched over to a 1st gen Apple TV running XBMC (with crystal HD card) and it seems fine. I can leave my PC off and it connects to my media without any issue. Seems to stream everything with the exception of blu ray rips, which is expected. The only thing I don't like about this setup is that it won't run my blu ray stuff (it stutters) and it will take me some time to set it all up. My wife wants something dead easy, and Plex did that for me.

Considering the hardware I have, what should I do? I'm thinking I just take the 2-3 hours to setup XBMC properly and convert any blu ray stuff to 1080p or lower? Thoughts?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
a FireTV or an Android TV Box.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Umm..I wonder how I missed the FireTV. I guess that's what I get for thinking the OP was updated. Going to pick one up, thanks!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Bank posted:

Umm..I wonder how I missed the FireTV. I guess that's what I get for thinking the OP was updated. Going to pick one up, thanks!

Yeah sorry about that. I've been compiling some stuff but video games laziness real life keeps getting in the way. I'm still back on Frodo. I'll update it soon, I've been watching the thread for new stuff.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I just installed XBMC on my MBPr and when I launch it I get a rapid buzzing sound as the menu items scroll through them as fast as possible. I don't see where this is a known issue, can anyone help?

Macbook Pro Retina, 15" Core i7 running the latest of OS X. 16GB RAM 512SSD.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

TomR posted:

I just downloaded this and I can confirm that it is The poo poo. I was trying FileBot before to rename things to something XBMC could handle better, but this is a way better method and the interface is very easy.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Anyone know if there is a way to display .txt documents with XBMC? I know it's an odd question but I just recently found out you can read pdfs and cbr files using it so I figured there might be a way.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I ended up buying a FireTV, and holy crap is it amazing. Took all of five minutes to install XBMC on it and it's pretty drat fast. I highly recommend it. I am getting rid of my Apple TV 1.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I want something new to play around with but think I'll wait for Android TV. If it can install the apps currently available in the app store and not require its own separate store, it should be the all-in-one box everyone's been waiting for, especially with Amazon Instant Video for Android on the way. Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Plex, XBMC.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

wolfbiker posted:

I want something new to play around with but think I'll wait for Android TV. If it can install the apps currently available in the app store and not require its own separate store, it should be the all-in-one box everyone's been waiting for, especially with Amazon Instant Video for Android on the way. Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Plex, XBMC.

For the record, these already exist. I use one, much in the same way you describe, and it most certainly is "the all on in box ive been waiting for".

Play store works fine, play all kinds of game with my air mouse. Use XBMC to watch everything. Netflix app for netflix, ect.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Gozinbulx posted:

For the record, these already exist. I use one, much in the same way you describe, and it most certainly is "the all on in box ive been waiting for".

Play store works fine, play all kinds of game with my air mouse. Use XBMC to watch everything. Netflix app for netflix, ect.

Unless you have some secret you aren't sharing it isn't quite that easy though - Prime of course isn't yet available for Android outside of Amazon's own devices (and when it is I guarentee it will be for a limited set of devices), Netflix, etc aren't really optimized for TV usage (outside of the FireTV/GoogleTV versions) and in many cases require a mouse, etc.

There may well be hacks and other workarounds for this, but my experience to date with off-brand Android boxes has been pretty poor. The FireTV requires some workarounds for XBMC, yes, and has limitations on refresh rates that all Android devices share, but the former process has gotten much easier and once it is set up it's pretty dead-simple to use day to day (and it has Prime video now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Also, android TV is not the same thing as an android set top box that is currently available. Android TV is actually designed to be used on a TV with a 10 foot ui.