Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Can they not issue refunds? I don't imagine that money being used for anything, unless the Kickstarter was for like, legal fees or whatever. Also, how exactly did they get into this situation? Did they not look into the legality of (re?)publishing this game or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

GrandpaPants posted:

Can they not issue refunds? I don't imagine that money being used for anything, unless the Kickstarter was for like, legal fees or whatever. Also, how exactly did they get into this situation? Did they not look into the legality of (re?)publishing this game or something?
Basically, they owe some people lots of money and set up a series of shell corporations for no other purpose than hiding that money from them.

They have legal right to publish the game, but their business practices are shady so all their money is currently tied up.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Green Ronin (the RPG publisher of Mutants and Masterminds and Freeport fame) is hopping on the party game / CAH bandwagon with Love 2 Hate. It looks pretty fun although I doubt it'll achieve the mass-market appeal of CAH. There's a tier that nabs you a KS-exclusive expansion too.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Peas and Rice posted:

Green Ronin (the RPG publisher of Mutants and Masterminds and Freeport fame) is hopping on the party game / CAH bandwagon with Love 2 Hate. It looks pretty fun although I doubt it'll achieve the mass-market appeal of CAH. There's a tier that nabs you a KS-exclusive expansion too.

That looks so similar to Cards Against Humanity, that I almost feel embarrassed for them. At least knock-offs like The Metagame try to give the CAH concept a little bit of a twist. This though? This has "counterfeit Chinese handbag" levels of mimicry.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Just got got my copy of Magnum Opus, a sort of research-based deckbuilder. Just played a quick solo game to get the rules down and I think it's going to be interesting. Setup's about on-par for a deckbuilder. Less work than Legendary, though. Plus it game with some really nice tuckboxes for the cards that look like alchemical texts.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Does anybody happen to have the Canadian Soldiers PDF for Upfront? All the dropbox links are gone :smith:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Shadow Over Westminster is in its last 48 hours, and I feel that it should be doing a lot better than it is. Deckbuilding + Lovecraft seems like board game nerd gold, so I'm kinda perplexed why it's just barely scraping by. I don't think I saw any coverage of it at BGG, now that I think about it. Despite that, $45 is a bit above my "eh, why not" threshold, but it might not be for someone else here, so check it out!

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Goredema posted:

That looks so similar to Cards Against Humanity, that I almost feel embarrassed for them. At least knock-offs like The Metagame try to give the CAH concept a little bit of a twist. This though? This has "counterfeit Chinese handbag" levels of mimicry.

You should play this crazy knockoff called 'Apples to Apples.' I swear it's just like CAH but for kids? Who does that?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I was trying to save them all as painting references. I should have the Canadians somewhere.

In hilarious news, Palladium will be selling Robotech at Gencon. What, you didn't get your backer copy? Haha gently caress you we neeeed to sell your copy or nobody will like us.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

moths posted:

In hilarious news, Palladium will be selling Robotech at Gencon. What, you didn't get your backer copy? Haha gently caress you we neeeed to sell your copy or nobody will like us.

I always feel very ambivalent about this practice. On the one hand, I feel as if you really should put your backers first, but I also understand that Gencon is a huge publicity push and while "selling out" at Gencon is a good thing, it might also be good to have more than like 2 copies available. I think 13th Age and/or Hillfolk did something similar, and I remember most people in the thread were cool about it (despite the fact that Hillfolk communicated it in a godawful way). I think it pretty much comes down to how much I like the company and the people therein.

I imagine most people don't have that same patience for Palladium.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Blows my mind that Palladium has a warehouse that isn't just his garage.

I do like the idea that if you're a kickstarter backer you should totally go to gencon to shake their hand and look at what you'll eventually be getting but no of course you can't pick up your copy you wait your god damned turn.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

If I ever need a quick million to escape to a secluded paradise island, I will just make a bogus Kickstarter campaign for a Zombie game where all the Zombies have enormous tits and then just cut and run after it closes out.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

GrandpaPants posted:

I imagine most people don't have that same patience for Palladium.

The comments page on the Kickstarter is loving glorious. Disclosure: I did kickstart Robotech RPG Tactics but I don't particularly care if they start selling it at GenCon.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Bobo the Red posted:

You should play this crazy knockoff called 'Apples to Apples.' I swear it's just like CAH but for kids? Who does that?

No disagreement here: CAH was definitely a rip-off of Apples to Apples. In my mind the difference is that they added enough of a twist to the game that I didn't immediately think "this is totally a thinly disguised Apples to Apples knock off."

But hey, to each his own. This sort of thing is incredibly subjective, so a game I find derivative might be a game someone else finds amazing. There's no objectively "right" answer to this sort of thing.

Goredema fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 12, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

This after GenCon last year, where despite heavy requests during the kickstarter campaign Palladium told backers they were unable to make Max and Miriya valkyries (special characters) and have them as stretch goals... before making them and selling them at GenCon as con exclusives. Oh what's that backers, you wanted one? Well, you can always buy the Palladium xmas random grab bag for $50 and maybe you'll get one!

Shitheap of a company led by a shady as gently caress control freak living in 1985.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I know they were mentioned before but there is a short demonstration of how to play Battle for Hill 218 and Sector 219 up on the KS page.

The video isn't exactly awesome but the game play looks interesting g enough that I will probably back the project.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Echophonic posted:

Just got got my copy of Magnum Opus, a sort of research-based deckbuilder. Just played a quick solo game to get the rules down and I think it's going to be interesting. Setup's about on-par for a deckbuilder. Less work than Legendary, though. Plus it game with some really nice tuckboxes for the cards that look like alchemical texts.

I got my copy yesterday and it was missing the rulebook and the dice, so I haven't been able to actually play it yet. Other people in the comments are missing the majority of their cards. I'm wondering how exactly Game Salute is going to respond to this tomorrow.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

senrath posted:

I got my copy yesterday and it was missing the rulebook and the dice, so I haven't been able to actually play it yet. Other people in the comments are missing the majority of their cards. I'm wondering how exactly Game Salute is going to respond to this tomorrow.

Wow, that's impressively bad. My copy seemed fine, actually got to try out a full 2p game today, actually.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Oh, and apparently the rulebook doesn't contain any reference to Kickstarter Backers, despite the fact that every reward tier included "Your Name in the Rulebook" as a reward.

As I said, I'm really interested in what their statement is going to be.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer

Ropes4u posted:

I know they were mentioned before but there is a short demonstration of how to play Battle for Hill 218 and Sector 219 up on the KS page.

The video isn't exactly awesome but the game play looks interesting g enough that I will probably back the project.

There seems to be enough interest in the product based on the KS as well as their existing BGG game profiles that I've becked, so thanks for showing me this one.

I've just downloaded their free java version to give it a burl and it seems fun (although I'm pretty terrible so far).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It's a shame about the problems people are having with Magnum Opus. Between that and the Alien Frontiers Rocket Dice and 4th Edition issues, my fiancée and myself are not going to back any more Game Salute games. The company seems to have just taken on too many projects at once and it's biting them in the arse now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

senrath posted:

Oh, and apparently the rulebook doesn't contain any reference to Kickstarter Backers, despite the fact that every reward tier included "Your Name in the Rulebook" as a reward.

If the statement is "we ran out of room", let it ride; adding an extra double-sided sheet to the rulebook costs money. Miskatonic School For Girls ended up putting their shout-outs around the sides of the bottom half of the box for this reason.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Randalor posted:

It's a shame about the problems people are having with Magnum Opus. Between that and the Alien Frontiers Rocket Dice and 4th Edition issues, my fiancée and myself are not going to back any more Game Salute games. The company seems to have just taken on too many projects at once and it's biting them in the arse now.

Wok Star is also super delayed, although it looks like it -may- be getting close to shipping. Fingers crossed.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
This kind of belongs here.

Core Worlds is going digital through KS. You can get physical copies of the game as addons. Also they're being cool and making it for both iOS and Android out of the gate.

Is the game good? I'm not going to buy a physical copy any time soon, but I might pitch in for a digital copy if it's recommended.

BaBo_FiSH
Feb 22, 2003

malkav11 posted:

Wok Star is also super delayed, although it looks like it -may- be getting close to shipping. Fingers crossed.

I am glad to hear this. I backed paperback at the level to get Paperback and Wok Star and never think about going to the Wok Star page to keep up on news about it.

I just Hope I get a copy of it still. Getting my copy of Paperback to ship early was a test of my patience.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Didn't see this anywhere, but apparently there's been a kickstarter for Mouse Guard: Swords & Strongholds, a relatively minimal board game for 2 people involving maneuvering 4 game-pieces along a grid via cards drawn from a deck. There are three different actions, each (roughly) explained in the updates. The goal looks to be to entirely knock off all of your opponents game pieces.

The rules summary is a bit lackluster but whaddya gonna do. Also to note: if you're from anywhere other than the U.S., prepare to shell out for over double the board game cost due to shipping. I'm a big sucker for Mouse Guard but yeesh, not paying a $40 Canada tax.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Same boat here. Love the comic but paying more for shipping than the actual game kills me every time.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Harbour is in its last 48 hours. I'm not convinced that it'll be a good game (the market mechanic seems wonky, the buildings seem really basic and uninteresting), but it is also $20 with a ton of promos, so at least it will resell well.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

senrath posted:

So, update on this. Their statement was that the names were supposed to be there, and that there was no excuse or reason they weren't. They'll be adding the names of backers to the product page on their website, since they can't exactly reprint every copy of the rules at this point.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
ValorCon is a proposed gaming convention for October in the Chicago Loop. The organizers have big hopes but realistic plans for the first year, and I think this could be the start of something good.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
ValorCon at a kind of sad .01% funded as of 2 days in right now, so If you're Chicago-based please send word to the local game stores!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Impermanent posted:

ValorCon at a kind of sad .01% funded as of 2 days in right now, so If you're Chicago-based please send word to the local game stores!

I don't understand why they don't talk to the Adepticon guys and take advantage of their existing infrastructure.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I got my Games and Gears Ichiban brushes! They are smaller than I imagined, but the points are fine as hell. Can't wait to try them out.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Impermanent posted:

It feels like they're just trying to do too much with it, I appreciate that they're trying to be as inclusive as possible with all the various kinds of gaming supported but because of that, it doesn't really have anything to latch onto; no real identity. I certainly hope it happens, I can get to that hotel from my office without going outdoors, but I'm not sure it's going to go far without knowing what it wants to be.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
That's all valid. They spoke with me at lunch today and offered a position as one of their Game Coordinators, so I can say they're highly enthused and seem capable enough. It also seems like the sort of thing that was launched at the last moment it was feasible to launch, so they've got a whole lot in the air right now. In the quiet moments there's an acceptance that the likely outcome is this year's effort just being groundwork for an actual event in 2015. On the other hand, if it's met I think it will be a fun and successful (enough) first year.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Harbour is in its last 60 minutes but that's not what I'm posting about really. I was looking at the Kicktraq data, and wow that is one of the worst final pushes I've ever seen. For comparison, here are Fief: France 1429, Tuscany and BattleCON: War. Did this game really screw itself by offering an early bird reward or something, however inconsequential it actually is? Or did most people just see that it was $20 and went, eh sure, without much thought? Like I don't think I've ever seen quite a disappointing final two days, despite the game being way overfunded already.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 17, 2014

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I think it was a combination of a lot of people impulse pledging at the beginning, most of the people interested in the game being aware of it from day one due to the TMG mailing list and similar things, and the fact that TMG has how many outstanding games due?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

GrandpaPants posted:

Harbour is in its last 60 minutes but that's not what I'm posting about really. I was looking at the Kicktraq data, and wow that is one of the worst final pushes I've ever seen. For comparison, here are Fief: France 1429, Tuscany and BattleCON: War. Did this game really screw itself by offering an early bird reward or something, however inconsequential it actually is? Or did most people just see that it was $20 and went, eh sure, without much thought? Like I don't think I've ever seen quite a disappointing final two days, despite the game being way overfunded already.

That's not the worst I've seen. The worst final push I saw was the Galaxy Defenders Season 2 kickstarter which lost money on it's final day. Go think about that.

I think the biggest reason why they didn't do so hot was the early bird pledges they had. In my opinion, KS's should not do them, period. Especially at a bunch of different price values like they did. It gives you an amazing first couple of days push, but when the end comes and people see a 10-30$ difference between what the first guy paid and now what he has to pay he is going to think he is getting ripped off. You can tell a person how much value is there until you are blue in the face, but all he will see the value difference between what he and the guy who got the deal is.

So for anyone who is thinking of doing a KS. Never do early birds, they only serve to gently caress you over in the end.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Another big problem with early birds is the pledge parkers - people who can't decide which value early bird they want just yet, so they use two or three accounts to hold onto two or three of them intending to make a decision later. Mantic had this problem with Mars Attacks, where they reached a point 2/3 of the way through the campaign when the stretch goal unlocks started slowing down, so some of the parkers started dropping their high tier early birds due to perceived lack of value. This caused a few red bars in Kicktraq, which started a panic run of people abandoning their pledges in that vicious stock market self fulfilling prophecy way, and Mantic lost nearly $30k before they were able to arrest it by throwing in extra unlocks and adjusting their stretch roadmap going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
This is convenient because the topic of Earlybird pledge levels just came up while planning my kickstarter.

Does anyone else have good or bad experiences with Early-bird pledges?

I have mixed feelings about them, on one hand they can help you get people on the fence to pledge to get in on a deal, but on the other hand it seems like most the people who pledge early (friends, family and existing fans) are going to pledge anyhow.

What we are considering is using an earlybird pledge level to drive people quickly to a specific pledge in order to quickly justify stretch goals that improve that level.

• Locked thread