Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Are there any cool non-Masterpiece Transformers to buy right now? I bought Armada Starscream and the Silver Knight Optimus/Generations Grimlock 2-pack last week and I want more Transformers now because these few are pretty great, but everything else I look at in stores kinda looks like rear end.

I wish the AoE Grimlocks were half-decent. G1 Grimlock is the only transformer from my childhood that I still have, as best as I can tell, and has traveled with me from my parents house to every place I've lived in my adult life and I got all excited for new loving dinobots and they all kinda look lovely in one way or the other. Animated Grimlock looks really cool but I totally missed the boat on that one and they run like $40+ now which sucks but uh

Yeah, cool Transformers right now? Gonna try to find a Skywarp, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Keldroc posted:

Because the cheap plastic complaint is very subjective. Some people don't even "get" it if you point it out to them with examples. Not having ankle tilts, on the other hand, is quite plainly an objective thing. Whether they impact your decision to buy a figure is a whole different issue, of course, but I'd say not having at least a little give on the ankles in a modern figure is definitely a point in the "do you know what year it is?" column. Wouldn't stop me from buying a retail Hasbro figure I wanted, but I might think twice on an $80+ third party item.

The only time I've found myself caring about gorilla arms has been with the AoE Dinobots. They really put a damper on some of those molds, especially the already problem-laden Voyager Grimlock. Not being able to hold his weapon properly plus gorilla arms? Severely limiting.

Edit: Also, Leader Jetfire has gone up for preorder at BBTS with no comments about a shared exclusive or anything, so I think that notion can be safely put to rest.

You're getting "objective" and "Keldroc's opinion" confused (yet again) because a lot of us don't notice whether some figures have them or not. Just picking the first couple figures I see on the shelf in front of me, does anyone really give a poo poo about Universe Darkwind or Generations Waspinator or the new Swerve's lack of ankle tilts? Some figures look silly without them but I don't know how you can make the case they're essential. I'd definitely rate a thigh cut as higher on my want list.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
The "cheap plastic" thing is pretty noticeable (and I'm not talking about the feel, but stuff like cracked or malformed joints). I'd even go so far as to say that it's probably the closest thing to an objective complaint to have next to assembly errors or damage because it's a potential build quality & durability issue. But it's also something that I generally don't care about because my primary concerns are the "puzzle play" aspect and how the figure looks on a shelf. Since paint is easy for me to apply, that pretty much just leaves the basic aesthetics and the poseability.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sockser posted:

Are there any cool non-Masterpiece Transformers to buy right now? I bought Armada Starscream and the Silver Knight Optimus/Generations Grimlock 2-pack last week and I want more Transformers now because these few are pretty great, but everything else I look at in stores kinda looks like rear end.

I wish the AoE Grimlocks were half-decent. G1 Grimlock is the only transformer from my childhood that I still have, as best as I can tell, and has traveled with me from my parents house to every place I've lived in my adult life and I got all excited for new loving dinobots and they all kinda look lovely in one way or the other. Animated Grimlock looks really cool but I totally missed the boat on that one and they run like $40+ now which sucks but uh

Evasion Optimus Prime is like the definition of "neat!", he turns from the G1 truck into roughly the first-three-movies robot via a really cool transformation that's kinda like peeling a clementine. I just can't stop turning him back and forth!

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I just pre-ordered that Columpio & Derpan for £70 because gently caress yes and it should arrive at a similar time to MP Wheeljack. Sludge rules.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I just got to share the "sweet spot" on ROTF Prime's ab-sliders with someone for the first time and I could HEAR their joy over the internet. Five years of brute-forcing the pecs in, finally over for them!

Of course the DOTM remolds made it even better but whatevs.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Sockser posted:

The FoC one? I like it, though opinions vary. Skorn seems to be well liked by most, and Evasion Prime has a fun transformation. Patience is a virtue with the TFs that get a wide release (ie not a store exclusive) though as you'll prob be able to get some cheap figures if you hold out for sales.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I have Scoria.
It is the best thing I have in my room at the moment.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Ka0 posted:

I have Scoria.
It is the best thing I have in my room at the moment.

My mom's feelings are hurt.

Wait that's not how those jokes work.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Why cookie Rocket posted:

My mom's feelings are hurt.

Wait that's not how those jokes work.

Your momma is like First Edition Leader Optimus Prime: big, simple, and hard to look at.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

strangehamster posted:

Your momma is like First Edition Leader Optimus Prime: big, simple, and hard to look at.

Yo mamma's like Mania King: overpriced and with lovely wrists.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I just now got to read MtMtE #31, and there is one thing that I don't get and might have missed.

They're talking about cold constructs in particular in this issue. From what I knew CCs were "extracted" from the Matrix of Leadership in pre-war era, and sometimes before Megatron founding the Decepticon movement that was stopped, though Shockwave tried to restart it.

Now they're talking about "second wave" CCs, which are created in response to wars, Getaway included. We know his spark was extracted from the Matrix because the killswitch affected him. They mentioned that the MTO, second wave CCs, were built in response to war campaigns in the Autobot-Decepticon war (Chromia indicates it and no one corrects her), but that's after they stopped extracting the Matrix.

So is it just some goofup in the timeline? Which I'm not sure that's the case because it's James Roberts. Or have I missed some explanation of this discrepancy? Maybe sparks were extracted but stored away? Or Optimus restarting the extraction though I very much doubt he would allow it.

Am I misunderstanding something somewhere or have I missed some explanation? I skimmed his twitter but didn't see anyone bringing this up.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Iced Cocoa posted:

I just now got to read MtMtE #31, and there is one thing that I don't get and might have missed.

Am I misunderstanding something somewhere or have I missed some explanation? I skimmed his twitter but didn't see anyone bringing this up.

You missed "yo momma is so fat that, when she fell in love with Hearts of Steel Shockwave, she broke it"

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Iced Cocoa posted:

Their sparks were put into cold storage to await an available body before the war broke out. One the war started, they were thawed out just to be soldiers.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also, way to be both robo-racist and a lovely detective, Nightbeat. His very first guess was being constructed cold was the cause of everything.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

You're getting "objective" and "Keldroc's opinion" confused (yet again) because a lot of us don't notice whether some figures have them or not.

No, I'm not (and never do, regardless of how badly some people handle opinions stated without "IMO" tacked onto the end of every sentence), because whether or not a figure has ankle tilts is, in fact, objective. They either do or do not. The very next sentence in my post addresses the matter of whether one cares or not. Read better.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

No, I'm not (and never do, regardless of how badly some people handle opinions stated without "IMO" tacked onto the end of every sentence), because whether or not a figure has ankle tilts is, in fact, objective. They either do or do not. The very next sentence in my post addresses the matter of whether one cares or not. Read better.

I'll get right on that.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Phy posted:

Yeah man I'm still holding out hope that Takara Leader Jetfire will have painted FAST packs instead of chrome because Hasbro's doing the chrome this time

With rare exceptions, vac metal makes a toy look like you bought it from a stall in Pacific Mall and on the box it said "MiGHTY SUPER LIFE FOURCE" and the name of the guy is "Bust Sporot" and he comes with "ANKLE BITER" and "EQUIPMENCE"

There I said it and I ain't sorry

MP24: Bust Sporot with Targetmasters ANKLE BITER and EQUIPMENCE

Do it, Takara.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also, way to be both robo-racist and a lovely detective, Nightbeat. His very first guess was being constructed cold was the cause of everything.
I'm really hoping they just kill him again because he has been awful consistently since Gorlam prime. Well, I liked how he was "resurrected" but just about nothing I can think of since.

Phy posted:

With rare exceptions, vac metal makes a toy look like you bought it from a stall in Pacific Mall and on the box it said "MiGHTY SUPER LIFE FOURCE" and the name of the guy is "Bust Sporot" and he comes with "ANKLE BITER" and "EQUIPMENCE"

There I said it and I ain't sorry
Why aren't you going to TFcon man :(

This post made me bust my sporot.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

RaspberryCommie posted:

Their sparks were put into cold storage to await an available body before the war broke out. One the war started, they were thawed out just to be soldiers.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

SlothfulCobra posted:

To be fair there was a recent thing that happened to only cold constructed guys so it's not reaching as a first hypothesis that some rear end in a top hat was trying to make everyone in the universe made a certain way disappear.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I really want that leader jetfire mold to be repainted into a Decepticon with proper decepticon colors. Like some purples, pinks, baby blues, and some turquoises. It would look awesome whoever it would be.

They did an amazing job repainting Universe 2.0 Silverbolt into a decepticon twice as well as Universe 2.0 Powerglide.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I just saw Stormcloud in a store recently and yeah, he makes that mold look cool. I'm not getting another Ultra Powerglide, however. Those loving legs :argh:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Blackheart posted:

I just saw Stormcloud in a store recently and yeah, he makes that mold look cool. I'm not getting another Ultra Powerglide, however. Those loving legs :argh:

I got the regular and the walmart repaint of Universe 2.0 Powerglide.

When I get the Legends version that's going to be the baby and the Ultras are going to be the mommy and daddy.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

These guys showed up today.

They're good, some tolerance issues that make me a little nervous though, and I don't like how far back you have to fold their wings to clear their shoulders. For anyone else who has them, is there some trick I'm missing to getting the arms through the chest? It feels like I'm stressing them every time.

Goldskull posted:

I just pre-ordered that Columpio & Derpan for £70 because gently caress yes and it should arrive at a similar time to MP Wheeljack. Sludge rules.
So apparently Derpan was supposed to be "Drepan". No way they're going to get that to happen now though.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Knormal posted:

So apparently Derpan was supposed to be "Drepan". No way they're going to get that to happen now though.

I guess they could always try for "Derpain" now, but eh.

Also speaking of Seekers, I'd love to see a Legends Class Seeker boxset, or even just the seekers released at the same time. I missed the FoC Starscream and Thundercracker, so I don't want to get Skywarp now.

Also I'd like to see some jets where the head isn't visable from the top...

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Blackheart posted:

I have Stormcloud. If only his drat shoulders would remain pegged.

Knormal posted:

These guys showed up today.

They're good, some tolerance issues that make me a little nervous though, and I don't like how far back you have to fold their wings to clear their shoulders. For anyone else who has them, is there some trick I'm missing to getting the arms through the chest? It feels like I'm stressing them every time.

I would get Thundercracker if only to add him to my TC shrine.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Why is it always Starscream, Skywarp, and Thundercracker(and sometimes Acidstorm)? I know those are 3rd party, but there's like 3 or more versions of those guys already.

Why do they never go for Dirge, Ramjet, and Thrust? I was kinda expecting that Armada Starscream/Dreadwind mold to be used for those guys but they pulled out RID Jihaxus(not that that's a bad thing).

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 12, 2014

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Taint Reaper posted:

Why is it always Starscream, Skywarp, and Thundercracker(and sometimes Acidstorm)?

Why do they never go for Dirge, Ramjet, and Thrust? I was kinda expecting that Armada Starscream mold to be used for those guys but they pulled out RID Jihaxus(not that that's a bad thing).

Original seekers are a lot easier to repaint and call it a day. The coneheads want at least a head remold, as well as the wings if you're doing it right - and each cone has a different set of wings.

Spiderdrake posted:

Why aren't you going to TFcon man :(

This post made me bust my sporot.

Serious post, I was out in TO last month and will be again end of next, but it's all wedding related. Next year might be a possibility.

I'm starting to feel bad about saying the word "knockoff". It's racist!

Phy fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 12, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Phy posted:

Original seekers are a lot easier to repaint and call it a day. The coneheads want at least a head remold, as well as the wings if you're doing it right - and each cone has a different set of wings.

Head remolds don't seem like that big of a deal, you could have Thrust use the Wingblade mold, Ramjet use the Armada Starscream Mold(since a Ramjet has in the past), and Dirge use the G2 dreadwind/Megatron mold.

I forgot they had the two legends versions of Ramjet and Thrust use the Legends of Cybertron molds in universe 2.0 and Dirge use the Voyager Cybertron Starscream mold. All without head remolds. I mean outside of Wingblade who would look weird with that head if it was a guy, I think just straight repaints of Dreadwind and Armada Starscream would probably be fine.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 12, 2014

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The Taint Reaper posted:

Why is it always Starscream, Skywarp, and Thundercracker(and sometimes Acidstorm)? I know those are 3rd party, but there's like 3 or more versions of those guys already.

Why do they never go for Dirge, Ramjet, and Thrust? I was kinda expecting that Armada Starscream/Dreadwind mold to be used for those guys but they pulled out RID Jihaxus(not that that's a bad thing).

There is a box set from the same guys available now with Dirge, Ramjet and Thrust. Look at BBTS. They have unique wings and errthing.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Ka0 posted:

I would get Thundercracker if only to add him to my TC shrine.
They're available individually too.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

There is a box set from the same guys available now with Dirge, Ramjet and Thrust. Look at BBTS. They have unique wings and errthing.
Yep, but to me the F-22 body just doesn't look good with the modified wings they came up with. Also while I'd buy them all at retail at 3rd-party prices I can live without the B-squad.

Here's iGear's gallery of the whole line:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.483443985074676.1073741857.407873945965014&type=1

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Damnnnn these look good.

link

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It's unlikely since they're all voyager-sized, but if FP ever made a dinobot Giftset pack I'm not sure I could resist it. I mean I really want a Quantron and I don't even like Computron! (like everybody else since Computron is a big loser nerd)

e: haha peaugh review already

e2 and Vangelus too

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 12, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah I grabbed my Columpio today, finished off the last two members of Glacialord and managed to get my hands on an Energon Wingsaber for a good price.

TFCon's been great, as always. Still considering a Leo Dux.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Can anyone talk me out of maketoys Swamper (Skullcruncher)? Even the derpy head has kind of grown on me.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Fansproject will probably make a better one in their FunctionX2 line?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Can we seriously talk about Columpio for a moment

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsXk09LCAAAQgOc.jpg:large

...yeah

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I'm too lazy to find the picture now, but I preferred sassy dino mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I'm super jealous of you people who got that Diaclone version of Columpio.