Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
To revitalize rubber/o-rings/etc. use silicon oil.
Courtesy airsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Made the plunge into fountain pens by purchasing a Diamond 580 with Big Blue Heron ink.

Best pen I've ever held in my hand. Totally worth the money.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Present posted:

Made the plunge into fountain pens by purchasing a Diamond 580 with Big Blue Heron ink.

Best pen I've ever held in my hand. Totally worth the money.

I love that color, it's a great black/blue that doesn't end up with a green tinge.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Lord Girlyman posted:

scored a ream of HP 32lb superduper glass paper this week, and oh boy. It's like Rhodia at less than half the cost. If you can find it on sale, it's the best stuff.
Can you please tell me more about this paper? I've not seen it before.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

My noodlers rachmanioff is awesome but man it is dry as gently caress. Would dumping some water into the bottle be a bad idea for any reason?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Xun posted:

My noodlers rachmanioff is awesome but man it is dry as gently caress. Would dumping some water into the bottle be a bad idea for any reason?

Adding water can work, depends on the ink though. People also recommend trying glycerin or dish soap, but again, these depend on the ink formulation.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Xun posted:

A better bet is to put a tiny bit in your converter first (or a separate inkwell), before risking loving up the whole bottle.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
What I've done to experiment with inks before has been to put some in many tiny containers and then go all :science: and see what I like best.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I'm making the leap and picking up my first fountain pen this week. I'm going to grab the Pilot Metro, but options are slim down here in NZ, so does anybody know if there's any limitations on the ink it can use, before I grab the wrong kind by accident?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Not really. Make sure it's fountain pen ink, and not calligraphy ink, and definitely not india ink. Whatever place you get it from probably ought to have at least something you can use with it.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

neongrey posted:

Not really. Make sure it's fountain pen ink, and not calligraphy ink, and definitely not india ink. Whatever place you get it from probably ought to have at least something you can use with it.

Try to avoid anything that's "pigmented" as well since those contain particles of colour pigments rather than liquid dyes that fountain pens use. The particles can gum up a feed, but it's usually not the end of the world. The feed on a Metro in particular can be removed and cleaned if that happens.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

cobalt impurity posted:

Try to avoid anything that's "pigmented" as well since those contain particles of colour pigments rather than liquid dyes that fountain pens use. The particles can gum up a feed, but it's usually not the end of the world. The feed on a Metro in particular can be removed and cleaned if that happens.

Platinum likes to brag about their pigmented ink, and how great their pens are with it. What's the deal here?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Platinum's pigmented inks are extremely finely ground, and the formulation of the ink makes it a lot less likely to clog than the usual pigmented inks you'd find in an art store. Sailor's Nano Carbon ink is also pigmented, and is also usable in fountain pens.

Inevitable Ross
Jul 1, 2007
Have you accepted Bob as your personal Lord and Savior?
Sailor's Nano Carbon is a pretty solid ink. I've got it in an EF Safari, and it's not once clogged or jammed or done any misbehaving. It's a really great, flat black and it dries reasonably quickly, too. Just make sure you give the bottle a really good shaking before you refill your pen.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Landsknecht posted:

Platinum likes to brag about their pigmented ink, and how great their pens are with it. What's the deal here?

We're basically advising to avoid the kind of pigment ink you see on art shop shelves, often with a note on the box saying the ink is safe for fountain pens. It is not.

Anything by an actual fountain pen company is pretty kosher.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Noodler's
Waterman's
Iroshizuku (Produced by Pilot)

I assume there are many others, but you're almost certain to see Waterman's (a big and old name in pens) and Iroshizuku (seeing as though it's Japanese and Japan is one of the bigger markets for fountain pens) down there in Australia. If you never came across any other brands those two are exceedingly good brands to have access to. Waterman's doesn't have the rainbow of colors the others do, but what they do have is some of the best-behaved ink I've ever used. By that I mean it flows smoothly and evenly.

Freckles
Jan 4, 2007

Captain_Person posted:

I'm making the leap and picking up my first fountain pen this week. I'm going to grab the Pilot Metro, but options are slim down here in NZ, so does anybody know if there's any limitations on the ink it can use, before I grab the wrong kind by accident?

Waterman's is good, and shouldn't be too hard to find, but if you ever want some more unusual colours, Pen City here in Melbourne stocks a wide range of inks, including Noodler's and Diamine, and they ship internationally. I'm not sure how much shipping from Australia to NZ is, but it's probably cheaper than ordering from Goulet or similar.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Vitamins posted:

Platinum's pigmented inks are extremely finely ground, and the formulation of the ink makes it a lot less likely to clog than the usual pigmented inks you'd find in an art store. Sailor's Nano Carbon ink is also pigmented, and is also usable in fountain pens.

Even so, you'll probably want to clean your pen out every couple weeks. This is good advice in general but something to keep particularly in mind if you are using something pigmented.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Just got a Metro and I love it. Ordered some stationery and ink. I love the idea of having some kind of wooden box in which to store my fountain pen/writing stuff...for now cards, paper, envelopes, a pen or two and ink...possibly eventually a wax seal, etc. Do such things exist? I've done some Amazon and eBay searching and get inconsistent results...it's like there are either several-hundred-dollar old timey wooden boxes, or twenty dollar generic looking boxes to put stationery in that don't have any sort of internal structure/dividers. Is there a name for what I'm looking for? Does such a thing exist?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

that one guy posted:

Just got a Metro and I love it. Ordered some stationery and ink. I love the idea of having some kind of wooden box in which to store my fountain pen/writing stuff...for now cards, paper, envelopes, a pen or two and ink...possibly eventually a wax seal, etc. Do such things exist? I've done some Amazon and eBay searching and get inconsistent results...it's like there are either several-hundred-dollar old timey wooden boxes, or twenty dollar generic looking boxes to put stationery in that don't have any sort of internal structure/dividers. Is there a name for what I'm looking for? Does such a thing exist?

Just get a generic jewellery/cigar box and put grooved plastic sheet in it (e.g. these).

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

TWSBI has apparently discontinued production of the Micarta. Whatever stock is out there is it.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I did some looking around regarding the kind of stationery/writing box I was looking for, and found that the term for what I want is "writing slope" or "lap desk" or "writing box," and found this awesome site describing their history and different types of them:

http://www.hygra.com/writing.html

It appears to be the site of an antique dealer in London. I'm sure they're all out of my price range (there are no prices on the site). But googling "writing slope" turned up a bunch of modern reproductions, etc. None I can get now (for such an unnecessary but cool item), but not so ridiculously priced.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Levenger used to have a line of stuff like that, but I see from browsing their website that they don't offer it any longer. You might be able to find retail stock out there.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I've heard of them being referred to as a "bureau". See if that search term helps.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Welsper posted:

I've heard of them being referred to as a "bureau". See if that search term helps.

A bureau is straight up a desk with drawers, or a dresser-like piece of furniture.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kessel posted:

A bureau is straight up a desk with drawers, or a dresser-like piece of furniture.

Yes it is, but I've heard of the term being applied more broadly to be an arrangement of drawers/containers for writing.

Such as here

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

that one guy posted:

I did some looking around regarding the kind of stationery/writing box I was looking for, and found that the term for what I want is "writing slope" or "lap desk" or "writing box," and found this awesome site describing their history and different types of them:

http://www.hygra.com/writing.html

It appears to be the site of an antique dealer in London. I'm sure they're all out of my price range (there are no prices on the site). But googling "writing slope" turned up a bunch of modern reproductions, etc. None I can get now (for such an unnecessary but cool item), but not so ridiculously priced.

Try searching for a "campaign desk" or "campaign lap desk". I think I've seen some on Amazon, even. What's ridiculously priced, though? It's a pretty uncommon piece of furniture these days, so any that you find are going to be a bit pricey since they're either going to be actual antiques or a reproduction targeted towards the kind of people that shop at Crate & Barrel.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses is a different color now: http://www.inknouveau.com/2014/07/color-change-for-black-swan-in.html

Can't say I like the new shade compared to the old one; I mean it's a really nice purple but that burgundy was just a neat shade. I'm really glad I have a nearly-full bottle of the old stuff. Guess I better not waste it. :(

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 14, 2014

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Well that's disappointing. I always meant to pick up a bottle of that but I never got around to it. The new formula doesn't look too bad on its own though, and the Goulet video makes it look like a more dynamic version of Purple Heart, which I love. Not a complete disaster!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
My full bottle is sitting on my desk. Thank gently caress I bought it before the change cause that new purple, while beautiful, is not the color I want to write my work notes in.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So what is the most monstrous of convertors to make sure that my metro holds a small lake of ink?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Honestly I think the new Australian Roses is way prettier. v:shobon:v

But I prefer to avoid buying Noodler's so my opinion doesn't count for much.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tulip posted:

So what is the most monstrous of convertors to make sure that my metro holds a small lake of ink?

I found this video to be quite informative.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Tulip posted:

You'll probably want to just reuse an empty cartridge and refill it with a syringe. Without needing to leave room for a piston or a twisty end, cartridges will hold significantly more ink than converters.

Edit: Assuming the metro takes standard long cartridges

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

404notfound posted:

Edit: Assuming the metro takes standard long cartridges

It does not. They use proprietary Pilot cartridges. It holds the same amount as a con-20.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Tulip posted:

Clearly the solution is to just get another metro and fill it up too.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Punch a hole in a rubber stopper and run a tube through it into a bottle of ink, and attach the other end to the cut-off back end of the cartridge.

If somebody actually does this, please document it for the thread. :v:

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

That would be the steampunkiest pen ever and for that reason alone I cannot bring myself to do it.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Remora posted:

That would be the steampunkiest pen ever

Not until you glue pointless gears all over it it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Are fountain pens at risk of leaking just by being on an airplane during flight or is it only if you try and use them?

Just debating if it's worth emptying my pen and taking some ink in a sample bottle to fill it with when I land or if I can just leave it filled.