Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

alcaras posted:

Looking for recommendations for starting characters/locations:

1. in Poland, in 867
2. in India, in 867

The Cholas are fun in India. If you want hardmode, play the Shahi (technically in Afghanistan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

alcaras posted:

I wonder if there's anyone working on a Middle Earth mod...

Here you go.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

alcaras posted:

Looking for recommendations for starting characters/locations:

1. in Poland, in 867
2. in India, in 867

For India in 867, I've been having fun in a game I started as the duke of... whatever that Duchy in Gujarat is called.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Clanpot Shake posted:

Is there a way to see the moral authority of other religions? I've been declaring holy war after holy war for centuries and Catholocism has been at 100% for a while. I'd like to see what the Islamic religions are at. What effects does moral authority have?

Page 4 in the ledger (I believe) is the religions page, it will tell you what the MA of a religion is, and how many provinces are that religion. Lower MA tends to result in difficulty converting and an increase in heresy. In my current game, the Sunni MA dropped to 0% for some reason, and the Seljuks became Ibadi (for a brief shining moment, then the Fatimids stomped on their faces and Persia split from them and it's all a tragic mess with giant Fatimids ready to run roughshod all over everything).

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Amergin posted:

Still a bit of a newbie but I've played through the Ireland 1066 tutorial mode and currently on a Norse playthrough, but I'm curious about maybe a Buddhist playthrough as my third. Anyone have suggestions for starting times/characters with mediocre difficulty?

There's an Indian Buddhist playthrough in the Lets Play Crusader Kings 2 thread, goes into some pretty good detail on things that are different/weird about Buddhists.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

McGavin posted:

If I could add characters I would add "The Gang" from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia to Philadelphia. Imagine a county controlled by a gluttonous, greedy, lustful, dwarf.

Dennis: Twin, Lustful, Cruel, Ambitious
Sweet Dee: Twin, Depressed, Greedy
Mac: Gluttonous, Homosexual, Misguided Warrior, Zealous, Wroth
Charlie: Bastard, Imbecile, Wroth, Falconer

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Dennis: Twin, Lustful, Cruel, Ambitious
Sweet Dee: Twin, Depressed, Greedy
Mac: Gluttonous, Homosexual, Misguided Warrior, Zealous, Wroth
Charlie: Bastard, Imbecile, Wroth, Falconer

They also all have been given the drunk trait. They've been in the mod for a while now.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

They also all have been given the drunk trait. They've been in the mod for a while now.

You're doing God's work.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Ofaloaf posted:

You should add the guys from The League in Chicago. If you're not familiar, I'd be happy to help out with their traits/relations.

iLurk
Jul 25, 2007

Who wants to get PREGNANT?!?

Ofaloaf posted:

...making characters...

Is there a specific tutorial that could be used to make them? I may have some time to throw around to make this greatness happen.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

iLurk posted:

Is there a specific tutorial that could be used to make them? I may have some time to throw around to make this greatness happen.

This is pretty much all you need to know.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

iLurk posted:

I'm down with having more contributors to all this, but before this gets too deep in it I'm going to be pretty emphatic here that although the Always Sunny characters were put in for a laugh, a battle royale between favorite characters from modern media is not the point of this thing and I ain't going to let the whole thing be overrun with that sort of stuff.

If you got a good idea for a character that seems like s/he fits the region and could provide some good, interesting moments, splendid, and if you really think a character from a show or actor from theater fits a place best of all, at least try to scramble things a little bit so instead of Robert Downey Junior it's Rupert Upney II or whatever.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
So what's the best way to really learn this game? I tried the tutorial, I tried watching some LPs, I tried watching some streams, and I tried just diving in, but after 2-3 extended play sessions I still feel like I'm flailing around and watching history pass me by. It probably doesn't help that I'm only interested in playing the Game of Thrones mod at this time, but it's the entire reason I bought the game.

Are there any other suggestions I could follow or am I just too dumb to play this game? :saddowns:

(btw that America mod looks sick)

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So I've finally created the Kingdom of Ireland for the first time and created all the Duchies. Any suggestions where to go from here? Things seem fairly stable in my neck of the woods. I have a few weak claims I can press for court members although none of them would result in my control of the location of the claim.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm down with having more contributors to all this, but before this gets too deep in it I'm going to be pretty emphatic here that although the Always Sunny characters were put in for a laugh, a battle royale between favorite characters from modern media is not the point of this thing and I ain't going to let the whole thing be overrun with that sort of stuff.

If you got a good idea for a character that seems like s/he fits the region and could provide some good, interesting moments, splendid, and if you really think a character from a show or actor from theater fits a place best of all, at least try to scramble things a little bit so instead of Robert Downey Junior it's Rupert Upney II or whatever.

So no count of a forgotten tiny densely populated island in Lake Michigan then.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Rumda posted:

So no count of a forgotten tiny densely populated island in Lake Michigan then.

Woah now, that sort of thing is perfectly possible without mass media characters.

(Submitting an idea, anyways).

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

timp posted:

So what's the best way to really learn this game? I tried the tutorial, I tried watching some LPs, I tried watching some streams, and I tried just diving in, but after 2-3 extended play sessions I still feel like I'm flailing around and watching history pass me by. It probably doesn't help that I'm only interested in playing the Game of Thrones mod at this time, but it's the entire reason I bought the game.

Are there any other suggestions I could follow or am I just too dumb to play this game? :saddowns:

(btw that America mod looks sick)

Reading through CapnAndys Ireland LP was what did it for me. He goes through everything newbies like me would otherwise never know and by the time your play through diverges from his you'll have a decent grasp.

Also don't make the mistake I did and try start the GoT mod as Ned Stark after Roberts Rebellion. He's a king with like 25 vassals and it's super overwhelming.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

Woah now, that sort of thing is perfectly possible without mass media characters.

(Submitting an idea, anyways).
Beaver Island is also loving tiny. If I thought both it and Mackinac Island were workable as independent counties they'd be made into such in a heartbeat, but they are tiiiiiny.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

This is a map of all of the duchies, isnt it?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Ofaloaf posted:

Beaver Island is also loving tiny. If I thought both it and Mackinac Island were workable as independent counties they'd be made into such in a heartbeat, but they are tiiiiiny.

Venice them, make them ahistorically huge, maybe a volcano did it, I dunno, I'm not an apocalypse expert.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Ofaloaf posted:

If celebrities are not the Great Families of the West then you have no idea how the West Coast works.

If anything, the Hiltons need to have a couple of counties here and there.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

This is a map of all of the duchies, isnt it?

It is.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I was really confused at first because I thought it was a map of your game :v:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

If celebrities are not the Great Families of the West then you have no idea how the West Coast works.

If anything, the Hiltons need to have a couple of counties here and there.
I'd rather not use actual names, though. One of the patricians of Detroit has a name which is that of a modern prominent Detroiter, but spelled backwards. I'm okay with that level of obfuscation, but just using actual families as-is will just prompt all sorts of people to go "OH OH YOU NEED TO ADD JOAN SMITH AS COUNTESS OF BUMFUCKNOWHERE" and "WHY ISN'T BOBBY SOMEONE KING OF EVERYTHING"

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Ofaloaf posted:

I'd rather not use actual names, though. One of the patricians of Detroit has a name which is that of a modern prominent Detroiter, but spelled backwards. I'm okay with that level of obfuscation, but just using actual families as-is will just prompt all sorts of people to go "OH OH YOU NEED TO ADD JOAN SMITH AS COUNTESS OF BUMFUCKNOWHERE" and "WHY ISN'T BOBBY SOMEONE KING OF EVERYTHING"

Meh, it's your mod.

I'd offer to help, but seeing as my four-year old laptop just died, taking everything I had worked on for my Ancient Egypt mod I think I'm going to take a much needed break from modding.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Meh, it's your mod.
I've been traumatized by that path. I know I've mentioned it before somewhere, but a few years back I made a nonsensical mod for MEIOU, and for a laugh I added in a "Justinus von Biberach" as the ruler of Swabia. I showed it off with a little chuckle, and before I knew it folks were asking for Lady Gaga and Sonic and Mario to be added, all with the justification of "in for a penny, in for a pound" and I got rid of all the gags at that point because it was just ridiculous.

quote:

I'd offer to help, but seeing as my four-year old laptop just died, taking everything I had worked on for my Ancient Egypt mod I think I'm going to take a much needed break from modding.
Breaks are good for the mind and soul.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

My prepared invasion of Africa just ended inconclusively because the Sultan gave his brother the Sultanate (the capital moved from Tunis to Tripolitania; the sultan didnt die or anything) :negative:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bort Bortles posted:

My prepared invasion of Africa just ended inconclusively because the Sultan gave his brother the Sultanate (the capital moved from Tunis to Tripolitania; the sultan didnt die or anything) :negative:

Ah, the Roman strategy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Larry Parrish posted:

Ah, the Roman strategy.

Heh. Downside is I cannot do another prepared invasion, upside is I now have 4k event troops sitting around. I think I would rather have won the Prepared Invasion :(

Anyone know if there is a way via console or whatever to allow me to do another prepared invasion since the game cheesed me out of mine?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

I was really confused at first because I thought it was a map of your game :v:a

Yeah sorry about being an idiot with that post. I messed up which pic I uploaded. That being said, what would be the most helpful view(s) to post shots of? I'll make a better post in a little bit.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah sorry about being an idiot with that post. I messed up which pic I uploaded. That being said, what would be the most helpful view(s) to post shots of? I'll make a better post in a little bit.

F10, I believe, will do a special map based on what map mode you're in.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I just finished my Dyfed -> Deheubarth -> Wales -> Prydein game, and although the game itself was pretty epic and hugely fun (aside from the grinding slowness of the last 70 or so years), what I'd really like to draw your attention to is, well, take a look:

See, I'm still Prydein. Aside from a couple of marriages here and there, none of particular consequence, I had nothing at all to do with the Byzantine Empire. That was all the AI, and except from an early short-lived Muslim grab of central Anatolia, they didn't get pushed back once. I saw at least fifteen Jihads launched at the Byzantines, including five for Jerusalem and seven for Persia, and they defeated each and every single one of them.

Anyway, the story of how I ended up Emperor of France is as follows: I went Fraticceli and had taken a couple of French holdings through inheritances, but when the Aztecs showed up I got my poo poo pushed right in in over and over. So, the bedraggled remains of my army went over to start holy warring France and Aquitaine, and Emperor Merfyn 'The Bold', Second of his Name, took enough of France to secure us and give us a power base to plot our return to our beautiful Celtic homeland. It took 140 years since the first Aztec declaration on us, but we finally drove them out of Europe and reclaimed all our lands by the end of the 14th century. I just love imagining what the French must have been thinking though.

:frog:: The Welsh are invading! We cannot stop them!
:france:: Call every ally! :hurr:
:russbus:: WE'RE HERE TO HLEP
:france:: They're still winning! Why are they so intent on invading? Where are they getting all these soldiers? They've beaten the combined armies of France, Aquitaine, Aragon, Germany, and Italy!
:frog:: My liege, this is only a quarter of their army. The rest lies dead at the feet of the Aztecs. They say they are fleeing those Aztecs.
:france:: You mean to tell me that this unstoppable conquering army is just the battered remnants of their forces, a quarter of their strength, and they are doing it because they are fleeing someone strong enough to annihilate them at full strength?
:frog:: That appears to be the size of it, sire.
:france:: gently caress.

But France's sacrifices did not go in vain, for as we converted the land to Welshness and Fraticceliism (?) we both civilized the frogs and returned to our homeland. Later, for shits, we invaded Rome and installed a Fraticelli Pope who called a Crusade for Italy. Given enough time to convert the Italian provinces we'd have finally usurped Catholicism and stopped being a heresy, but alas that time was not to be found.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
My god, they really are an infestation. They end up everywhere!

I am a little sad he is not named Pope Charles or something.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

catlord posted:

F10, I believe, will do a special map based on what map mode you're in.

Thanks for that, wasn't aware of that.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

Bort Bortles posted:

Heh. Downside is I cannot do another prepared invasion, upside is I now have 4k event troops sitting around. I think I would rather have won the Prepared Invasion :(

Anyone know if there is a way via console or whatever to allow me to do another prepared invasion since the game cheesed me out of mine?

You lose the invasion troops once you win the invasion so this is better?

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

From the shots you posted it looks like you are the Duke of Munster and not actually the King of Ireland?
So I'd work towards getting 4 more of those counties and get yourself a kingdom, probably by picking on the still divided Ulster.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I loathe the Byzantines, they always seem to blob out of control.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fuligin posted:

They're all that stand against you and the muslim hordes. Don't forget it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

TheBlackRoija posted:

From the shots you posted it looks like you are the Duke of Munster and not actually the King of Ireland?
So I'd work towards getting 4 more of those counties and get yourself a kingdom, probably by picking on the still divided Ulster.

Nope, I am the King of Ireland. I managed to once again upload an incorrect map. This is definitely the correct one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Fuligin posted:

In my games they usually wind up getting their poo poo kicked in fast and hard. Like, I frequently see Constantinople fall before 1150.

• Locked thread