Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

paragon1 posted:

All Debate Disco debates will, of course, be in Lincoln-Douglas style debate format. All arguments must also be set to funky dance grooves.

Mods, please ember some funky Parliament tunes into all threads, tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

ReidRansom posted:

Mods, please ember some funky Parliament tunes into all threads, tia.

Has a mod ever gone along with one of these requests? As far as I know the gas chamber once had an awesome little tune to go with it, but even that's before my time.

Wantin' some funky Parliament tunes up itt.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I wouldn't mind a disco ball like the BYOB cat. Just up there in the corner all sparkly and spinning.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dr. Witherbone posted:

Has a mod ever gone along with one of these requests? As far as I know the gas chamber once had an awesome little tune to go with it, but even that's before my time.

Wantin' some funky Parliament tunes up itt.

I seem to recall either the 2008 or 2012 Obama toxx thread had music embedded into it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

kelvron posted:

Pics as requested. (Phone posting so just a gallery link for now. I'll fix it later.)

http://imgur.com/a/gETqg

Funny how all these participation trophies are styled like medals. :ironicat:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Funny how all these participation trophies are styled like medals. :ironicat:

He donated to the RNC all his life. His mother even stumped for them post-suffrage. Didn't know his opinions on most of their policies except for his dislike of the estate tax.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
i saw parliament perform live on new years eve this year and it was really loving dope

or would that be new years eve last year? it was the day before the first day of this year, i don't know.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Admins lost the ability to embed music around the same time that titles switched over from html to BB code, so like 2009?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Bummer.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

paragon1 posted:

All Debate Disco debates will, of course, be in Lincoln-Douglas style debate format.

With a timekeeper but no moderator! :getin:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Winner will be decided by the mob.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
And I object that he interrupted me while I was watching Ow my balls!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

kelvron posted:

Pics as requested. (Phone posting so just a gallery link for now. I'll fix it later.)

The invitation memento to Kit Bond's Inauguration and Ball is on a hefty slab of marble.

Will the 'Lincoln' poster be taking us to a gay bar afterwards?
Well you should be able to sell that Reagan thing to an idiot for a lot of money. I think you should mail the 1996 convention one to Bob Dole with a note saying you're sorry his party turned into a bunch of fucksticks who think handicapped access equals Agenda 21.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

kelvron posted:

The invitation memento to Kit Bond's Inauguration and Ball is on a hefty slab of marble.

Will the 'Lincoln' poster be taking us to a gay bar afterwards?

You don't think the GWB library docent will want these?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Pope Guilty posted:

You don't think the GWB library docent will want these?

We asked. He didn't. I'll probably ask him again before I do anything with them.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Do you think the Intelligence Squared debates are any good? I'm not an expert but I've like the ones I've heard. They poll the audience before and after and sometimes there are pretty significant swings.
http://intelligencesquaredus.org/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Formal debates have their merits, but public education isn't one of them. Usually debate is impressive for the level of research debaters have to put into their statements(at the high levels we're talking a full filing cabinet of notes for a single debate), but you're still getting a limited and rhetorically laden construction of the issue.

RevusRangerous posted:

Do you think the Intelligence Squared debates are any good? I'm not an expert but I've like the ones I've heard. They poll the audience before and after and sometimes there are pretty significant swings.

Well, preliminarily, the three puff quotations on the index for the group are from WSJ, NYT and HuffPo, which is not a good sign.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

RevusRangerous posted:

So far I've seen them more or less walk all over positions I'd disagree with to start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn0tPRjVBvw

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Cheekio posted:

So far I've seen them more or less walk all over positions I'd disagree with to start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn0tPRjVBvw

Christopher Hitchens was an imperialist piece of poo poo though. And the catholic church could easily be a force for good in the world if they'd just stop telling Africans not to use condoms; they do all kinds of things that are worthwhile.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
If they host a debate between Hitchens and Fry, there's no reason to think of the organization as even remotely interested in anything resembling rational discourse or argument.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

If they host a debate between Hitchens and Fry, there's no reason to think of the organization as even remotely interested in anything resembling rational discourse or argument.
Hitchens and Fry were Team Atheist. Archbishop John Onaiyekan and Ann Widdencombe, a former British Member of Parliament were representing the WMBLA (the Catholic Church).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I stand corrected, but if Team Smug Atheism are involved, it's not a productive debate.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

I stand corrected, but if Team Smug Atheism are involved, it's not a productive debate.

Yeah, clearly, they should have gotten someone who was going to be much nicer when arguing that the Catholic Church is evil. :rolleyes:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

If the thesis being debated is that the Catholic church is evil, then it's not a productive debate. We can keep doing this if you really want.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, clearly, they should have gotten someone who was going to be much nicer when arguing that the Catholic Church is evil. :rolleyes:

If your topic is 'is this vast world wide group that does tons of different things in different reasons PURE EVIL YES OR NO' you're probably a garbage debate platform.

Also like, we know where you stand with the whole 'WMBLA' goof, you don't need to keep proving your edgy internet atheist cred.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

If your topic is 'is this vast world wide group that does tons of different things in different reasons PURE EVIL YES OR NO' you're probably a garbage debate platform.

Also like, we know where you stand with the whole 'WMBLA' goof, you don't need to keep proving your edgy internet atheist cred.

I don't think anyone said anything about pure evil. Just whether they're more evil than not. And I think it's a pretty good debate to have, if only because most people seem to think that the problem with the Catholic Church is a few bad apples, when, in fact, there's a healthy amount of evidence that the issue is a bad tree.

Also, I don't think taking an anti-religion stance is particularly "edgy" given the audience.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Thanatosian posted:

I don't think anyone said anything about pure evil. Just whether they're more evil than not. And I think it's a pretty good debate to have, if only because most people seem to think that the problem with the Catholic Church is a few bad apples, when, in fact, there's a healthy amount of evidence that the issue is a bad tree.

Also, I don't think taking an anti-religion stance is particularly "edgy" given the audience.

Not that I disagree with you, but the saying is "a few bad apples spoil the bunch," goddammit. It doesn't matter how few there are, if you don't get rid of them promptly they ruin the rest!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'm sure Hitchens and Fry, both great scholars in sociological and historical things, were qualified to talk about the level of 'evil' in the church.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

Congratulations on missing the point and being swayed by a topic you are emotionally invested in! You are the target demographic for this lovely audience-baiting debate platform!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Not that I disagree with you, but the saying is "a few bad apples spoil the bunch," goddammit. It doesn't matter how few there are, if you don't get rid of them promptly they ruin the rest!

I know, and it's not inconsistent with what I said; if it's some bad apples, you can solve the problem by getting rid of them quickly.

If it's a bad tree, however (i.e. the problems are symptomatic of institutional issues, and not isolated incidents) tossing a handful of rot out just makes room for more rot.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone's got a gimmick

Hitchens was an atheist contrarian

Discendo Vox, well, it's right there

I'm postmodern with some nihilism

computerparts is pedantic and contrarian

the list goes on...

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Oh poo poo I missed your stupid "haha Catholics are pedophiles" joke. Hurf durf.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ogmius815 posted:

Christopher Hitchens was an imperialist piece of poo poo though. And the catholic church could easily be a force for good in the world if they'd just stop telling Africans not to use condoms; they do all kinds of things that are worthwhile.
Yeah, Hitchens was an imperialist piece of poo poo. I give him credit for being willing to try waterboarding, though, and changing his mind about it after he experienced it. More than I can say for a lot of imperialist pieces of poo poo.

And the Catholic Church does a tiny percentage of the worthwhile poo poo they're capable of doing (they spend a minuscule amount of their revenue on charity), and they do a lot of terrible stuff other than just spreading lies about birth control in the developing world.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Too bad he never tried getting his house bombed and his loved ones murdered because his faith scared a fat old upper class slob an ocean away, maybe that would have fixed his actual problems instead of just one of the symptoms.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Too bad he never tried getting his house bombed and his loved ones murdered because his faith scared a fat old upper class slob an ocean away, maybe that would have fixed his actual problems instead of just one of the symptoms.
Now, now, don't be so jaded; those wars had way more to do with electoral politics, lobbyists, and natural resources than they did with religion.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, Hitchens was an imperialist piece of poo poo. I give him credit for being willing to try waterboarding, though, and changing his mind about it after he experienced it. More than I can say for a lot of imperialist pieces of poo poo.

And the Catholic Church does a tiny percentage of the worthwhile poo poo they're capable of doing (they spend a minuscule amount of their revenue on charity), and they do a lot of terrible stuff other than just spreading lies about birth control in the developing world.

This wasn't the discussion subject. The question that gave rise to this discussion was whether intelligence squared was a worthwhile debate platform. Hitchens being on their debates (let alone Fry) is a good sign that it isn't. We already know your position on Catholicism, you've made it abundantly clear, you're not adding anything by repeating it several times.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

This wasn't the discussion subject. The question that gave rise to this discussion was whether intelligence squared was a worthwhile debate platform. Hitchens being on their debates (let alone Fry) is a good sign that it isn't. We already know your position on Catholicism, you've made it abundantly clear, you're not adding anything by repeating it several times.

Who would you have suggested instead?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He was really big on the Kurds in his debate with Galloway (a disingenuous poo poo in his own right; now there was a debate worth watching!), so he may be happy in the afterlifeoblivion now. :unsmith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Thanatosian posted:

Now, now, don't be so jaded; those wars had way more to do with electoral politics, lobbyists, and natural resources than they did with religion.

No but his support for them was near all based in a terror of an imaginary Muslim horde ready to rape and plunder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Thanatosian posted:

Who would you have suggested instead?

Maybe someone with a doctorate? Possibly history or some kind of social science?

• Locked thread