Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Snak posted:

That doesn't mean that it served a purpose in the remake... The scene could have been done well, but it was done stupidly.

how would you have done it well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

I would have made it serve a thematic purpose and fit into the story somehow rather than being just a random thing that happens?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

scary ghost dog posted:

Cut in the deleted scene from the 1933 movie.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

Cut in the deleted scene from the 1933 movie.

I thought that was a lost reel? That's the real reason Jackson kept it in the movie, as an homage to what might have been. I like his King Kong, but yeah it's about 20 minutes too long.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Snak posted:

I would have made it serve a thematic purpose and fit into the story somehow rather than being just a random thing that happens?

the thematic purpose is the death of hope. its a very common beat in adventure films

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Superman Returns uses deleted scenes from Donner's Superman and The Limey uses clips from old Terrance Stamp films to show a young Terrance Stamp. Are their other movies that re-appropriate old footage like that?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

effectual posted:

I thought that was a lost reel? That's the real reason Jackson kept it in the movie, as an homage to what might have been. I like his King Kong, but yeah it's about 20 minutes too long.

I was making a joke, everything I know about that scene I read in this thread.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

the thematic purpose is the death of hope. its a very common beat in adventure films

Yeah that's actually fair. I remember that it worked pretty well for that. I retract that criticism.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I did not like PJ's King Kong, but I did like the bug pit. Seems like the oddest part to take issue with.

Spacemanji
Apr 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Superman Returns uses deleted scenes from Donner's Superman and The Limey uses clips from old Terrance Stamp films to show a young Terrance Stamp. Are their other movies that re-appropriate old footage like that?

This movie used footage from O Lucky Man! to depict a young Malcolm McDowell.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Skwirl posted:

Forrest Gump does it quite a bit of course.

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Goldmember does it when showing a young Michael Caine.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Video Viddy Games posted:

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang does something similar.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Video Viddy Games posted:

Also a young Hot Saucerman.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Skwirl posted:

That photograph of young Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse Now is Marlon Brando in costume for Reflections in a Golden Eye.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Not quite the same thing but that 30 Rock episode when they introduced the HD cameras for TGS used Red October footage when showing Jack Donaghy in HD.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

scary ghost dog posted:

spider pit was a deleted scene in the original

It was never shot. However, Peter Jackson did a :krad: recreation of what it might have been like for the 2005 Kong DVD, using stop-motion and everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOMKnhN7ABs

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It was never shot. However, Peter Jackson did a :krad: recreation of what it might have been like for the 2005 Kong DVD, using stop-motion and everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOMKnhN7ABs

it was definitely shot because test audiences were freaked out by it.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

I rewatched the T-Rex battle from PJ's Kong this morning and it really is a fantastically staged action scene. There is a little of the wonky compositing that plagues the dino stampede, but the scene itself is just perfectly paced and exceptionally staged. It builds upon itself so well and is just so exhilarating. It's got that Spielbergian plate-spinning kind of tension as things keep piling on top of each other. It's really terrific.

The spider-pit scene isn't quite as successful but it plays off the battle that precedes it really well. The quiet nature of that sequence is a great contrast to the bombast of the previous one. If the movie had been a little tighter-paced leading up to it I think the sequence would play a little better.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hibernator posted:

I rewatched the T-Rex battle from PJ's Kong this morning and it really is a fantastically staged action scene. There is a little of the wonky compositing that plagues the dino stampede, but the scene itself is just perfectly paced and exceptionally staged. It builds upon itself so well and is just so exhilarating. It's got that Spielbergian plate-spinning kind of tension as things keep piling on top of each other. It's really terrific.

The spider-pit scene isn't quite as successful but it plays off the battle that precedes it really well. The quiet nature of that sequence is a great contrast to the bombast of the previous one. If the movie had been a little tighter-paced leading up to it I think the sequence would play a little better.

The idea of the dino-stampede scene isn't bad, and if it was cut down it could work okay. It's just that they spend so long running among the legs of the dinosaurs that it ceases to be a "HOLY poo poo!" moment and is more like "wow this is still going on". A stampede is not a scary thing if all you have to do to not get hurt is be a main character and keep jogging. If it was like "Oh gently caress stampede! oh poo poo guy got stepped on! Oh holy christ raptors! whew the main characters made it!" in quick succession I think it would work a lot better. Instead it's like Adrien Brody immediately adapts to running through the stampede and then is able to fight the raptors without distraction.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The bigger issue is that it's a film featuring Jack Black and is therefore unwatchable.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
School of Rock is good

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Hat Thoughts posted:

School of Rock is good

This. I will fight you if you think otherwise <:mad:>

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Hat Thoughts posted:

School of Rock is good

Also Bernie, Kung Fu Panda, High Fidelity, and Tropic Thunder. Jack Black is in plenty of good stuff.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The bigger issue is that it's a film featuring Jack Black and is therefore unwatchable.

He was fine in that but I am glad that he's dropped all pretenses of being a serious actor and just spends all day getting blazed as hell and entertaining children.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Ok, so it's just me who really loving hates Jack Black, cool.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

For every comedian there's going to be people that love them and don't get why people hate on them and people that despise them and doesn't get why people like them. Comedy just sort of works that way where no one can really be for everyone.

Still, if you think Bernie is a bad movie you're just sort of wrong.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I loving love Kung Fu Panda and nothing will convince me that it's not one of the greatest modern-day tributes to the wuxia genre.

edit: Well, greatest in a feel-good way.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I actually just rewatched Bernie on Netflix and yeah it's definitely an unambiguously very good movie and Jack Black's best performance by a huge margin.

I thought Kung Fu Panda was excruciatingly awful though. I don't automatically dislike kids movies, but I genuinely have no idea what anyone who's not a kid saw in that movie.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 12, 2014

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I dislike Tropic Thunder, which is a very unpopular opinion, however, Tropic Thunder is bad. I dunno, I get why people think it's funny but 90% of the jokes being "Isn't Hollywood whacky" topped off with Tom Cruise dancing in a fat suit just didn't do it for me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I guess I'm just a sucker for really romanticized kung fu stories. Dustin Hoffman is great, as is Ian McShane. Basically I just like the style of the visuals, music, and story coming together.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Skwirl posted:

Kirk Douglas plays a washed-up actor in Two Weeks in Another Town (1962), and in it they screen footage from another film, The Bad and the Beautiful (1953), to show his younger self. Both were directed by Vincente Minnelli.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

You can't tell me that you didn't enjoy this scene from "The Jackal".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ivga0iPzgg

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
What's funny is that a lot of his career has just been capitalizing on the persona presented in High Fidelity. But part of what makes him work in that movie is how loving obnoxious he is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

What's funny is that a lot of his career has just been capitalizing on the persona presented in High Fidelity. But part of what makes him work in that movie is how loving obnoxious he is.

His character in High Fidelity is pretty similar to his character in Tenacious D.

The best part of when I first saw High Fidelity I didn't know who Jack Black was, so at the end, I had no idea he could sing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
In his defense, I don't think that Jack Black has ever pretended to not be obnoxious. One of the best things that Jack Black has been involved in is the game Brutal Legend. The gameplay itself is mediocre to boring, but the entire concept, soundtract, and amazing metal album-cover-to-live visuals and over the top "epic" story is totally worth it. It is a video game where Jack Black voices a roadie that gets sucked into the land of metal and encounters characters voiced by Lemmy, Rob Halford, and Ozzy Ozbourne.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
pick of destiny is extremeley my poo poo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Never going to hate Ben Stiller because of The Ben Stiller Show. Never going to hate Jack Black because of HBO's Tenacious D.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Never going to hate Ben Stiller because of The Ben Stiller Show. Never going to hate Jack Black because of HBO's Tenacious D.
And never hate either of them because of Heat Vision and Jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

scary ghost dog posted:

pick of destiny is extremeley my poo poo

The contrast between him tripping on mushrooms and meeting a yeti with him climbing up a tree and falling in a river is the funniest part of the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2WqYidC_0Y