Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Wow, that sucks. I'm really very impressed with BG2:EE so far. It's so much better than any fan made "new content" bullshit. Fans are loving GREAT at fixing bugs. loving phenomenal. The more autistic the fan base, the better the bug fix patches! BG has a fantastic army of autistic bug fixing fans. I loving love it.

Fans are also "pretty drat good" at restoring lost content, as long as at least 75%+ is still in the games files somewhere. Good job fans! I'm impressed when you do this poo poo!

Fans loving suck TOTAL AND COMPLETE rear end at adding actual brand new content to a game. Everything fan made is terrible. This is why I love BG2:EE so much. The new content poo poo is just fine (I won't call it "great", but its totally in line with the original so far. An impossible feat for fan made poo poo).

Ascension made TOB way loving better than the original. Like tons better. I can't ever play TOB without it. This is a shame.

The good news here is that if there's one thing BG2 lacks it sure as hell isn't content. Who cares about all the creepy and horrible fan made stuff when what's already in the game takes hundreds of hours to mulch through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

MegaGatts posted:

I'm pretty sure it's DOA. It's a shame, BG2 EE started out really strong with the UI upgrade and planned features, but as time goes on they're intent on losing any good will they generated.

You can apparently use the BigPicture mega mod which adds it, while just making sure to not add anything else in the package.

This is just a quick google search answer though, no idea how well it works.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There are some good quest mods for Fallout and Elder Scrolls games, so I don't think it's totally fair to say that fan-made content is never worth it, but Sturgeon's Law certainly applies and I can't think of any stellar quest mods for Infinity Engine games so you might be right as far as that goes.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Oh my god, holy poo poo. The Dorn gay romance option comes out of the fuckng blue. Hahahah that poo poo is hilarious. It's like literally: "hey, wanna wrestle naked?" and thats on the loving 2nd or 3rd romance dialog tree. Not a single one of the chicks gives in that early. They all make you wait till like tree 7 or 8 or even way more than that. Hell... is any of them even remotely sexually interested in you by dialog 2?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Deaderinred posted:

you done the funeral? also think you gotta have nalia around and do her quests too before he shows up but i'm not 100% sure on that.

Got Nalia, did the funeral and kidnapping quests both.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

razorrozar posted:

I can't think of any stellar quest mods for Infinity Engine games so you might be right as far as that goes.

Tower of Deception?

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Fans are also "pretty drat good" at restoring lost content, as long as at least 75%+ is still in the games files somewhere. Good job fans! I'm impressed when you do this poo poo!

t-thank u

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Tower of Deception?

I haven't played it, looking it up , it sounds cool. But it's also an adaptation of an old adventure module, so it doesn't disprove the theory that modders (or at least IE modders)are poo poo at original content.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
xan bg2 is decently written at least. played abit of tower of deception but i was too low level to get through it. seemed good.

the colours of infinity mods are abit weird though, they sound good on paper with original area art and stuff but then you play it and its some shakey emo fanfic that is also somehow super loving pretentious.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
attn: I found a gay joke in bg2

Skwirl posted:

I haven't played it, looking it up , it sounds cool. But it's also an adaptation of an old adventure module, so it doesn't disprove the theory that modders (or at least IE modders)are poo poo at original content.

I kind of agree, but still, give it a try. It's one of the best mods.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deaderinred posted:

the colours of infinity mods are abit weird though, they sound good on paper with original area art and stuff but then you play it and its some shakey emo fanfic that is also somehow super loving pretentious.

Unsurprising, given that the author is both a lovely writer and a really loving creepy person in general.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
He's really not. :(

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

He's really not. :(

Like hell he isn't. I am one of the senior staff at one of the main Infinity Engine modding sites and am off-site friends with a number of admins and senior staff from the community. Lava del'Vortel is a creepy gently caress with zero sense of personal boundaries and what is and is not appropriate for casual conversation among other things, and is an atrocious writer besides. I cannot recommend enough staying away from any mods he was significantly involved with.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So I just spent about half a day with EEKeeper and DLTCEP trying to unfuck some broken quests. In an unmodded game :suicide:. Though I probably shouldn't have been surprised that dual-classing your main character is liable to break quest scripts that check what class you are.

For future reference, if you've locked yourself out of the Unseeing Eye quest by dual-classing your main character to a (non-neutral) cleric, setting "GaalSpoke" in AR0900 to 1 and then heading to where that quest chain normally starts will kick things off again.

Edit: Additionally, it seems that the reward you get at the end (i.e. whether you get to choose between the ring, the armour, and the staff, or if you just get some other magic item) depends on the Join<Churchname> variable, which might be something else that dual-classing has messed up. Maybe? The fact that I already have the fighter stronghold might be confusing the issue, and I don't want to dig far enough into the dialog files to figure out exactly how that thing works.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 13, 2014

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Oh my god, holy poo poo. The Dorn gay romance option comes out of the fuckng blue. Hahahah that poo poo is hilarious. It's like literally: "hey, wanna wrestle naked?" and thats on the loving 2nd or 3rd romance dialog tree. Not a single one of the chicks gives in that early. They all make you wait till like tree 7 or 8 or even way more than that. Hell... is any of them even remotely sexually interested in you by dialog 2?

Welcome to the world of fanmade NPCs - whether they're a 14 year old paladin, whether they're the physical manifestation of the color purple or whether they're your loving sister, they must be romanceable. And they better be romanceable 30 minutes into the game or it's bullshit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jneer posted:

Welcome to the world of fanmade NPCs - whether they're a 14 year old paladin, whether they're the physical manifestation of the color purple or whether they're your loving sister, they must be romanceable. And they better be romanceable 30 minutes into the game or it's bullshit.

Reminder: Dorn was made by Beamdog, not modders. Modders aren't somehow magically worse than the source material most of the time once you take off the rose-colored glasses.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
I knew someone would say that. Beamdog are fans as far as the quality of the writing goes, they're just being paid for their fanfic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jneer posted:

I knew someone would say that. Beamdog are fans as far as the quality of the writing goes, they're just being paid for their fanfic.

Nice job moving the goalposts, friend.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
I'd hate to incur the wrath of a senior staff member at one of the main Infinity Engine modding sites and an off-site friend with a number of admins and senior staff from the community, but Dorn is modded content, just like the Imoen and Saerileth romances. If you have a problem seeing the simple fact that romances are routinely being shoehorned into mods, then you need only look at the percentage of modded content that includes a romance versus the equivalent in the vanilla NPCs.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

jneer posted:

I'd hate to incur the wrath of a senior staff member at one of the main Infinity Engine modding sites and an off-site friend with a number of admins and senior staff from the community, but Dorn is modded content, just like the Imoen and Saerileth romances. If you have a problem seeing the simple fact that romances are routinely being shoehorned into mods, then you need only look at the percentage of fan-made content that includes a romance versus the equivalent in the vanilla NPCs.

They should've just done another hack & slash dungeon like Watcher's Keep instead. That's where the greatest strength of these games lie: the tactical combat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jneer posted:

I'd hate to incur the wrath of a senior staff member at one of the main Infinity Engine modding sites and an off-site friend with a number of admins and senior staff from the community, but Dorn is modded content, just like the Imoen and Saerileth romances. If you have a problem seeing the simple fact that romances are routinely being shoehorned into mods, then you need only look at the percentage of modded content that includes a romance versus the equivalent in the vanilla NPCs.

Oh please get off your high horse. I haven't done anything with the modding community beyond banning spambots for years. I just invoked those credentials to attest that I am quite familiar with one rather loathsome member of that community.

And yes, there are seriously creepy fucks in the modding community. There are also perfectly normal people in the modding community, and people who are a bit eccentric, just like any random cross-section of people with a shared interest.

As it happens, the Enhanced Editions and their new content are not mods. Writing in video games is and has been mediocre for the most part since the industry started, particularly when it comes to portraying romantic relationships. In that respect, they're hardly alone. Just look at any media presentation of a romantic relationship, take your pick of media format.

It's a problem, no question, but it's not some unique failing of the modding community.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Enhanced Editions were written by a professional (as in published) author who was being paid to write the content as part of a development team, under creative direction. It's not really fair to compare the EE NPCs to community NPCs which are, essentially, passion projects for individual fans.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i thought beamdog were made up of who's who of bg modding corralled by trent? i'm probably wrong but that's the impression i got.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Probably a lot of them are, but the writer isn't. Regardless, its a professional game development situation vs. individual hobbyists.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A few were, but only a few.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Cythereal posted:

As it happens, the Enhanced Editions and their new content are not mods.

Agreed, the mods can be sometimes good.
Wait no, 90%of the new content is literally adapted mods

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

fong posted:

The Enhanced Editions were written by a professional (as in published) author who was being paid to write the content as part of a development team, under creative direction. It's not really fair to compare the EE NPCs to community NPCs which are, essentially, passion projects for individual fans.

If I was saying the EE NPCs are noticeably better than fan content, that would be an unfair comparison. I'm saying they're guilty of the same sins that plague the fan content, when they should be a step above.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Its been about 10 years since I played with any mod NPCs but from what I remember the EE NPCs are a step up, at least in terms of attempts to make them fit with original content.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

fong posted:

Its been about 10 years since I played with any mod NPCs but from what I remember the EE NPCs are a step up, at least in terms of attempts to make them fit with original content.

EE NPC's are easily the equivalent of any of the original NPC's. They aren't better, they aren't worse, they are the exact same in terms of quality. This makes them INFINITELY better than 100% of the fan made content in every possible way. The Dorn gay romance is terrible, yes, but then again so is the loving Aire romance and that poo poo was part of the original game.

Although I guess Cespenar is worse than anything a fan has ever made for Baldur's Gate by far. The original dev's are not infallible.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

EE NPC's are easily the equivalent of any of the original NPC's. They aren't better, they aren't worse, they are the exact same in terms of quality. This makes them INFINITELY better than 100% of the fan made content in every possible way. The Dorn gay romance is terrible, yes, but then again so is the loving Aire romance and that poo poo was part of the original game.

Although I guess Cespenar is worse than anything a fan has ever made for Baldur's Gate by far. The original dev's are not infallible.

Honestly, and I expect to catch some poo poo for this, but I feel rassad is the best NPC in BG as far as motivations and personality. I really dig the angle they took with him of commuting increasingly greater sins against his faith for revenge. If there's a bad part about his arc its the dialogue they wrote for the PC in response.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jabor posted:

Edit: Additionally, it seems that the reward you get at the end (i.e. whether you get to choose between the ring, the armour, and the staff, or if you just get some other magic item) depends on the Join<Churchname> variable, which might be something else that dual-classing has messed up. Maybe? The fact that I already have the fighter stronghold might be confusing the issue, and I don't want to dig far enough into the dialog files to figure out exactly how that thing works.

So I did decide to dig into this and figure out what was going on. Turns out the walkthrough I was using is wrong - whether you get the choice of three good magical items, or just get one lesser one actually depends on whether you've accepted the cleric stronghold or not :ms:

Interestingly, the only way to get a Periapt of Life Protection in the game is to be a good-aligned Cleric, who doesn't take the Cleric stronghold. Followers of Talos get kind of screwed, as their reward if they already have another stronghold is ... a second copy of Ardulia's Mace.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
After getting the BG2EE in the steam sales I figured it was time to do a full playthrough starting at BG1.

I'm now in Chapter 7 and really want to complete a lot of sidequests in Baldur's Gate that I didn't do in Chapter 5 (I foolishly rushed through that only doing the main quest thinking I could go back to it later). In doing that I of course forgot about the constant Flaming Fist fights when walking around, I've stuck to having 2 Sleep spells on me at all times so I can just sleep them and move on but it's kind of annoying. Is there a point in this chapter where I don't have to deal with the guards or does it stay this way till the end of the game? It's been so long since I last played this that I forgot how the story plays out.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Freaksaus posted:

After getting the BG2EE in the steam sales I figured it was time to do a full playthrough starting at BG1.

I'm now in Chapter 7 and really want to complete a lot of sidequests in Baldur's Gate that I didn't do in Chapter 5 (I foolishly rushed through that only doing the main quest thinking I could go back to it later). In doing that I of course forgot about the constant Flaming Fist fights when walking around, I've stuck to having 2 Sleep spells on me at all times so I can just sleep them and move on but it's kind of annoying. Is there a point in this chapter where I don't have to deal with the guards or does it stay this way till the end of the game? It's been so long since I last played this that I forgot how the story plays out.

Do the main quest until Sarevok runs away to the undercity and then you have all the time in the world to do sidequests.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Thinking of doing a mage character across the two games and one thing I remember previously was that it was far easier to get a robe of the evil archmagi in bg1 than good. I think I had sold 2 evil before I even saw my first good. Is that the case in BG2? I was thinking of choosing my alignment just on that alone.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Hughlander posted:

Thinking of doing a mage character across the two games and one thing I remember previously was that it was far easier to get a robe of the evil archmagi in bg1 than good. I think I had sold 2 evil before I even saw my first good. Is that the case in BG2? I was thinking of choosing my alignment just on that alone.

In BG2 the robe you want isn't alignment restricted.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

The Robe of Vecna is the best BG2 robe, and it's available right after the starting section of the game (provided the version of the game you are playing has unlocked the two special vendors) although you may not be able to afford it right away.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Hughlander posted:

In BG1 you can buy a good or neutral robe from the High Hedge whenever you can afford it. You could actually get one earlier than the one that drops at the end of the Cloakwood mines if you do a lot of exploring of side areas. I'd suggest picking a mage alignment based on the familiar you want. In my opinion Lawful Neutral is the best alignment since the ferret familiar has a 70% pickpocket rating, meaning your thief doesn't have to spend points on that. Lawful Evil is the worst, since Imps have fewer HP than other familiars and also give you fewer HP for having them.

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Sooo..... is the Ascension mod BG2:EE ready yet? Any news on that? I heard they have been working on it for a while now.

According to this thread on the official Baldur's Gate forums, the Big Picture version of Ascension should work with EE. I cannot confirm this, though, as I've never actually finished ToB let alone installed Ascension.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I really wish the shapeshifter rebalance wasn't so cheesy. The stat adjustments are plenty powerful and I'm happy with them but turning the wereform into a weapon slot item is horrifically overpowered (you should have to trade off casting ability for melee ability, that's typically the whole point of druid shifting in general) and really silly in that it allows you to go between humanoid and wolf forms at will, so you can run in and maul stuff then instantly become a human, throw some darts, then instantly become a werewolf again. All you'd need to do to fix the stats would be to adjust the CRE file referenced by the spell, right? Why not just do that?

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Basic Chunnel posted:

I really wish the shapeshifter rebalance wasn't so cheesy. The stat adjustments are plenty powerful and I'm happy with them but turning the wereform into a weapon slot item is horrifically overpowered (you should have to trade off casting ability for melee ability, that's typically the whole point of druid shifting in general) and really silly in that it allows you to go between humanoid and wolf forms at will, so you can run in and maul stuff then instantly become a human, throw some darts, then instantly become a werewolf again. All you'd need to do to fix the stats would be to adjust the CRE file referenced by the spell, right? Why not just do that?

I thought one of the standard mega bug fix packs already dealt with this years and years ago.

Shapeshifter is pretty drat fun when its patched correctly and does what it says in the rulebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's the tweakpack that turns the shifter form into the most powerful dagger in the game.