Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

My girl just left a little while ago. Time to get lovely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

As someone living somewhere quite colder than Köpenhamn, I've got to ask: what the gently caress is wrong with you? I love love love those few weeks when it's actually warm here. We've been going between 25-30C, 50-55 humidity and UV at about 6 this whole week, and I'm happy as a pig in poo poo.

I start overheating easily when the temperatures start to rise. I'll start sweating just sitting around doing nothing. If I actually do anything physical, my clothes will be soaked in seconds.

On the other hand, I generally don't start wearing jackets until mid October or thereabouts, and they come off again around mid March. I'm perfectly fine with just hoodies for all but the worst winter days.

the AC in my car is set to 22C, and is only that high to avoid the worst thermal shock when I step out. Ideally, I would have it at 20C or lower.

I sleep with just a duvet cover all summer, and it's still too warm.

I'm just not built for hot weather at all.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 11, 2014

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Fart Pipe posted:

Goondolences my friend. Might I suggest getting a strong long island and have them drop a shot of fireball into it. This works better when all that's on special is LI's and you're looking to get into trouble.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

jammyozzy posted:

I'm in the UK so I was expecting two pairs of leads not three, and I've never seen exposed earths outside of an industrial setting. Is my house gonna burn down? :ohdear:

As other people have said, it is just a socket that is on a ring with a spur coming off it.

Here is the same thing as demonstrated by the lovely wiring I'm slowly sorting in my house. This is my kitchen...

The single socket is on the ring - you can see the 2 wires coming out of the wall to it.
The double socket is spurred off via the visible single wire - so the single one has 3 sets of wires in it like yours.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 217 days!)

Fuckity-gently caress-gently caress gently caress. Guess who is related to people who didn't change their timing belt in time on their interference engine?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Viggen posted:

Fuckity-gently caress-gently caress gently caress. Guess who is related to people who didn't change their timing belt in time on their interference engine?

The same person who's not going to lift a finger to help them fix it, right?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Agreed. Now that they're legal in the US, I expect a lot more Americans to learn about how tight everything is in that mess of hoses and 80s turbo technology.

Then again, this is the company that brought us the twin turbo Z32 300ZX. I visited a shop where they were working on a 300ZX that was brought over (found in a "farmer's field" in Japan, sure buddy :rolleyes:). This poor car basically had the entire HKS catalogue, two(!) alarms (one half installed, the other fully installed but broken from cap plague) and miles and miles of aftermarket wiring. It must have been some kind of show car in its past life, because it was tuned for big injectors (which had been removed from the car along with the aftermarket fuel rail) and never ran again.

After the customer hit his spending limit trying to diagnose every possible gremlin I believe the car was parted out at flea-market prices. Nobody wants to buy used and dirty early-90s HKS stuff, it seems.

I don't give a poo poo I still want one :allears:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Fart Pipe posted:

Grab Corn Chips and get smashed.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Now you sound like the guys from Project Binky.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hCPODjJO7s

When this was linked a few weeks back, I was very sad when I reached the last video and they weren't done yet.

OTOH, something to look forward to! (In a month when the next update goes up)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Goober Peas posted:

Oh believe me we are working on that right now :guinness:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gonna float around a lake on a pontoon tomorrow. Made a shitload of frozen boozey drinks for the day. Should be excellent.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

The same person who's not going to lift a finger to help them fix it, right?

Yeah, well, I'd love to but its not the fault of the directly related, and they'd be the one directly impacted. $800 for a high mileage replacement 2.4L is the best price I've been able to find.

Guess I got to be a passenger and driver in one of its last voyages. :toot:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I made a powershift sized Cup out of a 1.75 liter vodka bottle. Pop can for scale

the glass is too inconsistent for a level lip. I was gonna use a rotary file to level it but it turns out i don't give a poo poo. Just scored. Heated. Run under cold water. Flap disk sanded.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
I finally live in my own place again, and now it has internet. I'm almost regretting committing to so many things this weekend because I really just want to stay home and watch Netflix.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Bought an NB2 and tried to drive it home. Radiator was busted. :saddowns:

Pulled off as soon as I saw the temp gauge move, I'm hoping that the block/head isn't toast. Poured water into the radiator and the endtank didn't want to cooperate.

Oh well, $700. (the differential is worth $1000 :ssh: )

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

I made a powershift sized Cup out of a 1.75 liter vodka bottle. Pop can for scale

the glass is too inconsistent for a level lip. I was gonna use a rotary file to level it but it turns out i don't give a poo poo. Just scored. Heated. Run under cold water. Flap disk sanded.

This is the best drinking glass. the size is loving perfect.

also: I busted 45mph on a bicycle tonight. I'm proud of my fat rear end self.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Phone posted:

Oh well, $700. (the differential is worth $1000 :ssh: )

What year?
Is it a torsen?

I'm thinking of joining the cool kids and making an Exocet with my NA, when I buy another car to replace it's duty as a DD.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

Ahh, the way I heard it put was that the entire house was one circuit for receptacles, not that there would be multiple circuits. I'm not sure how you save copper by wiring all the way around and then back to the breaker again, but I'm probably misunderstanding something.
You usually have a lighting ring and sockets ring on each floor at a minimum, plus separate wiring for cookers and the like.

It saves copper because, based on the theory you don't pull full load from every socket at once, so rather than having separate radial wiring to each one (which must have the full current capacity), you instead have a "clockwise" and "anticlockwise" path to each socket, and therefore can spread the load between the two halves. A valid criticism of the design is that a break in the ring is effectively undetectable, but can lose this redundancy to multiple sockets, making it easy to overload the circuit.

Are the savings in mass of copper used relatively minor? Yes, but if you're building and wiring more than a million houses following a very materials-hungry war, it adds up.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

mafoose posted:

What year?
Is it a torsen?

I'm thinking of joining the cool kids and making an Exocet with my NA, when I buy another car to replace it's duty as a DD.

2001 with a 3.909 torsen.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

You usually have a lighting ring and sockets ring on each floor at a minimum, plus separate wiring for cookers and the like.

It saves copper because, based on the theory you don't pull full load from every socket at once, so rather than having separate radial wiring to each one (which must have the full current capacity), you instead have a "clockwise" and "anticlockwise" path to each socket, and therefore can spread the load between the two halves. A valid criticism of the design is that a break in the ring is effectively undetectable, but can lose this redundancy to multiple sockets, making it easy to overload the circuit.

Are the savings in mass of copper used relatively minor? Yes, but if you're building and wiring more than a million houses following a very materials-hungry war, it adds up.

Huh. Did people actually run separate cables all the way back to the breaker panel? Because how we do it here is we start from the panel, go to the closest box, then to the next, etc etc. For each room.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

InitialDave posted:

North American home phone wiring used to be installed with this sort of ring layout, and there's an older, but still useful website that compares the topologies and their advantages (at least for low voltage setups) with diagrams and stuff.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

kastein posted:

Huh. Did people actually run separate cables all the way back to the breaker panel? Because how we do it here is we start from the panel, go to the closest box, then to the next, etc etc. For each room.

Sounds kind of the same but we have to both start and finish at the panel and you can only spur one item off any point on the ring.

In my house the socket to the right of my panel is first in the ring and the socket to the left of it is last (or vice versa)

My old house has one ring for all the sockets in the house. Lights are on a separate ring (or 2). New houses might have more socket rings (like one per floor)

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Goober Peas posted:

My great aunt who lives right next to me started feeding Corn Chips so she doesnt come around the shop anymore. Im totally batting zero these days

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My house has "whatever the gently caress the old owner did". It sure as hell isn't up to any code that's for sure.

In addition to the bathroom the disposal, the refrigerator, and the microwave were all powered through this:

With the breakaway tab between the hot terminals on the outlet carrying all of that load. Oh and the breaker box is stab-lok which have a tendency to not bother tripping in an over-current situation for about 40% of breakers.

At least the outlets in the house are grounded!

oh.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Shifty Pony posted:

My house has "whatever the gently caress the old owner did". It sure as hell isn't up to any code that's for sure.

In addition to the bathroom the disposal, the refrigerator, and the microwave were all powered through this:

With the breakaway tab between the hot terminals on the outlet carrying all of that load. Oh and the breaker box is stab-lok which have a tendency to not bother tripping in an over-current situation for about 40% of breakers.

At least the outlets in the house are grounded!

oh.

Remind me of a house I rented in college. Old place with the knob and tube (I think) wiring and two fuses for the whole apartment. So we couldn't do anything crazy like run the microwave while the TV was on or cook while cleaning. Best part was the grounded outlets (3-prong) with no grounding at all. I was amazed that place was still standing when I drove through town last year.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Fart Pipe posted:

My great aunt who lives right next to me started feeding Corn Chips so she doesnt come around the shop anymore. Im totally batting zero these days

I saw corn chips sunning on a rock by the driveway when I left, actually.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

NitroSpazzz posted:

Remind me of a house I rented in college. Old place with the knob and tube (I think) wiring and two fuses for the whole apartment. So we couldn't do anything crazy like run the microwave while the TV was on or cook while cleaning. Best part was the grounded outlets (3-prong) with no grounding at all. I was amazed that place was still standing when I drove through town last year.

In one bathroom there is an outlet located between the toilet and the shower (opposite from the shower head side so it would be at risk of spraying.

Did I mention no GFIC in the entire house?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

I saw corn chips sunning on a rock by the driveway when I left, actually.

What the gently caress am I missing, is "corn chips" code for something?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
It's a catte

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
To be fair real corn chips go pretty well with getting smashed too.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Found a '73 Nova in the local yard with an 8.5" 10-bolt that I want. Problem is, the bonehead that put the slapper bars on managed to trash 1 U-bolt nut per side so I can't get the loving thing out there. I'm heading back tomorrow with a hacksaw. And my wife's car...

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Is it bad that I really want the 4wd Sonoma that a local town uses for a security truck? The guy who works security is talking about trying to get them to replace it and driving it is giving me flashbacks to when I owned this:

All i'd really need to do is swap the steering column to a tilt column setup so I could fit in it more comfortably and it'd be perfect for an offroad toy.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, all of the sudden my mom has decided that we're going to sell the Lexus... before the registration renewal comes due.

IN A WEEK.

So now I get to squeeze under the car and go through the ordeal of replacing the O2 sensor -- again -- this time with the OE Denso instead of Bosch, in the hopes that it will get the CEL to go away, and the TCS lights that come on with it (because the ECU can't control engine throttle with 100% precision for traction control with a sensor out, so rather than settle for 80% or whatever, clearly the best choice is to disable it entirely), so we can turn off the scary yellow lights and hopefully get someone to buy this piece of poo poo.

Then there's the TPMS light which has been on for years despite repeatedly verifying correct pressure. I had the shop check it when they changed the oil last week; their scanner detected a signal from the sensors, but could not read the data. :psyduck: I've used that exact tool when I was at sears, on another SC430, and it read just fine. So the sensors are probably hosed after 10 years. Nothing for it, I'm we're not paying $2-300 for new sensors plus whatever tire dismount fee to replace them.

gently caress my life.

E: And if we can't sell it by then we're drat well keeping it another year so she gets her $100 worth or whatever, despite having no driveway space (she's currently parking her Fiesta under a tree on the other corner of the house). And the radiator is starting to crust with coolant residue so THAT'S coming soon... fuckin A.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 12, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Found a '73 Nova in the local yard with an 8.5" 10-bolt that I want. Problem is, the bonehead that put the slapper bars on managed to trash 1 U-bolt nut per side so I can't get the loving thing out there. I'm heading back tomorrow with a hacksaw. And my wife's car...

Buy a cordless angle grinder and bask in its greatness.

I have literally never unbolted an axle ubolt. I only cut them. 15 minutes to pull a rearend using nothing but a sawzall, angle grinder, wire cutters for the brake line and sensor wires, maybe a box wrench to undo shock bolts and driveshaft bolts, or just sawzall the driveshaft and angle grind the shock piston rods...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fucknag posted:

Well, all of the sudden my mom has decided that we're going to sell the Lexus... before the registration renewal comes due.

IN A WEEK.

Can you not get refunds on unused registration fees in your state?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I somehow missed this entire thread, anything interesting I have to catch up on out of the last 15 pages?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cakefool posted:

I somehow missed this entire thread, anything interesting I have to catch up on out of the last 15 pages?

STR came out.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IOwnCalculus posted:

Can you not get refunds on unused registration fees in your state?

I

had never considered that. I'll look into it. Anyone know the answer to this in Florida?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

meatpimp posted:

STR came out.

As what this time?

Joy of joys, the DD is out on loan. At least I knew this was going to happen, so all fluids checked and flushed where appropriate. God help them if they gently caress with my presets. :argh:

Fucknag posted:

I

had never considered that. I'll look into it. Anyone know the answer to this in Florida?

Form 83363.

THERE IS NO PROVISION IN FLORIDA LAW FOR PRORATED REFUNDS.

E.G. gently caress you.

JFC. $225 initial fee? Here I thought Nevada was out to gently caress us since the "Luxury Tax" turned into a "General Tax" that cost more, and has more smog testing bullshit than most of California.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Florida hasn't had emissions (or safety, for that matter) inspections in decades now.

It's also filled with criminals and the Worst People Alive. Sorry, Fucknag.

• Locked thread